• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

Selane

There's all kinds of interesting stuff hidden in there depending on what part of the chapter you're on. I'm not gonna go into detail, though

Anyway, if you want to check something you missed you can just use chapter select plus some text skipping.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I gotta say i do love how the
5th
door started tying up various elements of the previous doors' stories.

Really ties with the theme
of the tragedies not being as painful if you don't view them as your own, and shows how giselle/the maid is trying to shield herself from her own tragedies by making herself a disaffected third party.
Or so i think. Haven't finished this door yet so there might be twists that make it not that.

zelhawks37

One thing I am really glad this game did towards the end is:

End game spoilers:

You weren't able to change the past when you went into the stories of the three men that played a role in Morgana's death. You got to experience that moment and show her what their lives were like at the time. At first, it looked like there was a chance of saving her and altering the events that happened afterward. Instead, the game held firm on its theme of tragedy and more importantly, despite all the crap Morgana put everyone through, I sympathized with her. Really well written villain IMO.

I couldn't resist so I bought the game now that it's on sale on steam, despite OniBaka's giveaway

I played only for half an hour so far but my first impressions are really good.
I particularly like the atmosphere and the music.
SO DAMN GOOD!!!!

Some small technical complains I have though are that I can't find a widescreen option and of course no resolution options either
Also does the game any voice overs.So far none has spoken yet

Antiwhippy

No voiceovers, and yeah, no resolution options either, but you get used to get once you've played more of these lower budget VNs.

I couldn't resist so I bought the game now that it's on sale on steam, despite OniBaka's giveaway

SO DAMN GOOD!!!!

Some small technical complains I have though are that I can't find a widescreen option and of course no resolution options either

Glad you're enjoying it.

It gets better.

IT GETS EVEN BETTER

SO DAMN GOOD!!!!

It's all 2D art assets so there'd be no point to resolution options.

Finally picked this up in the sale after having my eye on it for a good while. Only managed to get a little into chapter 2 but I'm really enjoying it so far, it's really good at leaving me on edge just waiting for something terrible to happen.

ike_

Damn, had I played this last year it easily would have made my top 10. Crazy the demo isn't available directly on Steam. I was just interested enough at the end of the demo to try a few more chapters, and after that I was absolutely hooked.

Story moments have been popping into my mind all day and still giving me goosebumps.

The fact that Michel visually reminded me so much of Cecil from FF4 (one of the few JRPGs I fell hard for) kept me a little extra invested in his role too. I gotta take a walk and let things sink in further.

Taruranto

And there are some comments from the devs too

Novectale seem like a fun bunch, they try to get in touch with their western fans in a way I don't expect from niche VN devs (Granted, the fact some of them speak english probably helped). They even passed me an artwork I couldn't find on their pixiv when I asked them.

I rarely check the backlog unless I accidentally fast forwarded scenes. Will check on the eventual second play through

Actually no. Hmmm.

I have an earlier save, i might go check it, but what are you referring too?

If you want to know (Door 4 spoilersss):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229322325&postcount=259

Antiwhippy

Really enjoying the interactions with
actual giselle
more than
the white haired girl
honestly. Now it feels more like interacting with an actual human being rather than an ethereal fairy tale which I guess is kinda the point.

I'm at the part where
they had their talking out and understood each other better
and it's kinda at a nice, rare happy spot.

This is all going to go to shit isn't it?

Antiwhippy

Ahhhhh I almost don't want to continue everything is so happy (relatively) now.

edit: god just bring me the despair already this is way too cute.

also quite the cleavage shot.

Antiwhippy

Partway through the sixth door.

Current status:

Screen_Shot_2012-09-13_at_9.39.39_AM.png

Taruranto

6th door is kinda my favorite to be honest,
I think people generally prefer Door 5 or 7 but I really loved the total subversion and deconstruction of the maid character.

However (Don't open this if you haven't completed Chapter 7)
The second part of the 7th door is really, really good and the final scene is probably the best scene in the novel.

Antiwhippy

Reached the end of the sixth door.

Uh.

Hmmm.

Huh.

Is this a tale about transgenderism?

But wow.

Antiwhippy

Also it's kind of weird how something I thought isn't really supposed to be a twist kind of ended being a pretty big twist for me at the very end.

That's.... a pretty cool way to handle it.

Taruranto

Huge spoiler:
The developer said that Michel's intersex.
Yes, but
being assigned one gender while identifying as another is still about transgenderism
. It's a really cool way to go about it.

7th door spoiler, don't open this without having completed it.

I think Michel definitely falls under the LGBT spectrum, especially the first part of the 7th door (It's hard to imagine the writers didn't know what they were doing) but his body issues are pretty different from what they look in the beginning of the door. "Michelle" never really had a functional female body in the first place. I wonder if the fact that he was intersex is more clear in the Japanese version, because I saw a lot of people assuming "Michelle" was a "woman" that got magically changed into a man.

It's a pretty interesting take on it, especially how it heavily ties to Michel's angelic characteristics in the end.

Antiwhippy

Finished the 7th door.

How the hell am I supposed to go to sleep now. ;_;

Watching michel's death the first time, if I'm honest, wasn't really as sad as I as was expecting, because I guess I still don't really emphatise with him that much, but watching the scene again, even before the didier reveal, fucking hit me like a truck, now knowing the context of what he was thinking when he thought he could finally leave the mansion.
;_;

No joke, just constant tears at the final bits.

Also fuck aimee, fuck dider, fuck george, fuck his mom, just fuck them all.

Finished the 7th door.

How the hell am I supposed to go to sleep now. ;_;

Watching michel's death the first time, if I'm honest, wasn't really as sad as I as was expecting, because I guess I still don't really emphatise with him that much, but watching the scene again, even before the didier reveal, fucking hit me like a truck, now knowing the context of what he was thinking when he thought he could finally leave the mansion.
;_;

No joke, just constant tears at the final bits.

Also fuck aimee, fuck dider, fuck george, fuck his mom, just fuck them all.

Yup. Fuck...

No other way to describe it.

Baliis

Dammit, in door 3
"The madam is having an affair." I almost posted earlier that I've never hated a character in a story more than Jacopo but that I really liked Maria. Whelp, so much for that.
Shits about to go off the deep end isn't it.

EDIT: Finished door 3 now,
it did a surprisingly good job of making me pity Jacopo despite him being a total shit of a person.

also

Banned
Dammit, in door 3
"The madam is having an affair." I almost posted earlier that I've never hated a character in a story more than Jacopo but that I really liked Maria. Whelp, so much for that.

it did a surprisingly good job of making me pity Jacopo despite him being a total shit of a person.
Just finished door 3 myself and feel similarly to you.

I guess it's futile to pass judgement before finishing a door because the game seems to love subverting expectations and painting everything in shades of gray.

Antiwhippy

Dammit, in door 3

Oh yeah he's a complete piece of shit, but maria is an even bigger piece of shit who drove him in deeper.

Baliis

Just finished door 3 myself and feel similarly to you.

I guess it's futile to pass judgement before finishing a door because the game seems to love subverting expectations and painting everything in shades of gray.

Yea, I was totally expecting Jacopo to go nuts and end up having her killed, or maybe kill some of his business partners or something thinking that they were really having an affair with her.

Oh yeah he's a complete piece of shit, but maria is an even bigger piece of shit who drove him in deeper.

Maria flipped so fast from loving this character to Jesus Christ what a sadistic bitch so fast my head is still spinning

Antiwhippy

8th (?) door.

Gawd.

Why must giselle's and michel's conversations together be so fucking cute. :3

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I wonder if it's worth spoilering the door #s after the 4th. Not being passive aggressive, genuinely want to know what people think.

ike_

Hah, I've been waiting
1000 years
to hear your thoughts after you finish the game Whippy.

Wish I could get this game or the music out of my head. This is all OniBaka's fault.

Loz246789

I think labeling the door you're up to is fine. For all intents and purposes, they might as well be chapters, and the alternative is just having no labels at all after
the first half of the game,for the sake of *at best* a minor plot point
. It's just not worth potentially spoiling the actual character beats and plot developments for new players.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I think labeling the door you're up to is fine. For all intents and purposes, they might as well be chapters, and the alternative is just having no labels at all after
the first half of the game,for the sake of *at best* a minor plot point
. It's just not worth potentially spoiling the actual character beats and plot developments for new players.
Yep, that's the tradeoff here. I could see a world where we used like character names (the Jacopo part), but not worth having everyone agree to some arbitrary standard.

Door 3:
"The madam is having an affair." I hate this, I hate this so much. I even had a feeling this was going to happen and it didn't soften the blow at all. Well I'm sure that's the worst of it and it only gets better from here.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Door 3:
"The madam is having an affair." I hate this, I hate this so much. I even had a feeling this was going to happen and it didn't soften the blow at all. Well I'm sure that's the worst of it and it only gets better from here.
Yeah, tfw you clearly see the injustice and just have to stew in it.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, the worst part of the 3rd door is
that they revealed the twist so early and make it so that you have to click on even knowing that they're both being setup. :<

Baliis

that they revealed the twist so early and make it so that you have to click on even knowing that they're both being setup. :<

The artwork of them holding the letters is just so so good.

Yup, you're just left to watch as things continue to fall apart. On the plus side the ending of that door ended up being less of a bummer than I expected, although that might just be because I was numb by that point.

Baliis

4th door was short and sweet
I'd started to suspect some of the reveals there so it was nice to be right for once unless the game is just trying to trick me, which wouldn't be a surprise either at this point.

I really liked the story in this one, it was sweet with their blossoming romance, but all the more tragic knowing that it was going to end in tragedy anyways. I liked how it fucked with the back log as well, especially when they first go to the tower and basically all of their dialogue is *'ed out but theres hidden dialogue now that I assume was supposed to be the witch talking to you?

Edit: WHELP

Loz246789

4th door was short and sweet
I'd started to suspect some of the reveals there so it was nice to be right for once unless the game is just trying to trick me, which wouldn't be a surprise either at this point.

I really liked the story in this one, it was sweet with their blossoming romance, but all the more tragic knowing that it was going to end in tragedy anyways. I liked how it fucked with the back log as well, especially when they first go to the tower and basically all of their dialogue is *'ed out but theres hidden dialogue now that I assume was supposed to be the witch talking to you?

Edit: WHELP

Everything about this post is amazing. XD
I love everything about that reveal, it's so satisfying.

Dee Dee

I also picked this up in the sale recently, and finished the first door.
Welllll, will I have fun with this???? Probably nooooot.

As someone who likes their nice Otome happy endings with a kiss and a hug in the sunset, this is quite the change of pace. Superbly done so far though.

Just peeked through Door 2, and this looks vastly different a story already. Let's do this!

Top Bottom