• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger X

Personally I like this thread as it is now.
Why give more exposure to bigger games that already don't need as much exposure as others?

This thread is fantastic because everyone is coming here posting their discoveries, interesting sales, hype about new and obscure titles, etc. I don't want this buried under big post about big games or some kind of recurring top. Distracting for no good reason.

Gaaraz

Why give more exposure to bigger games that already don't need as much exposure as others?

This thread is fantastic because everyone is coming here posting their discoveries, interesting sales, hype about new and obscure titles, etc. I don't want this buried under big post about big games or some kind of recurring top. Distracting for no good reason.
+1

The reason I come here so often instead of say, Touch Arcade, is because it's so nice to have everything in one place

Pachimari

+1

The reason I come here so often instead of say, Touch Arcade, is because it's so nice to have everything in one place

This is actually the reason I come in here often as well. If we had monthly threads, I probably wouldn't click.

But I support both solutions anyway.

kodt

Banned
So I sold my Vita and bought a new iPad. Have I made a terrible mistake?

First game I bought was Super Hexagon, it's hard.

The animations in Gunman Clive are awesome.

ToxicAdam

If you enjoy a constant stream of something to play, you haven't made a mistake. Now that constant stream isn't always AAA quality .. but you can't have it all.

WRC the game is now on iOS, rather fun but sloppy in visuals, really bad unreal image compression ruins the entire look of the game and makes textures mushy... very much like their console games, but if you like the WRC games the iOS version is alright for free, you level up and unlock things as you go along and the rally races have set points for air and drifting to earn boost, so it's a more arcade approach to rally, but only slightly.

If you use the ipad for more then gaming not really, it's a very good thing to own and I have watched countless internet game streams, tv programs and browsed gaf for hundreds of hours on it already, my only beef is the A5X chip, it's better then the 4S but only just and some 3D games can stutter a bit, otherwise it's a fine tablet.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

+1

This is actually the reason I come in here often as well. If we had monthly threads, I probably wouldn't click.

But I support both solutions anyway.

Well you guys can enjoy your skeleton megathread. The cool kids will be doing it monthly :p

Kingdom Rush is sssooo good. Each map is perfect to fit in on my train commute to and from work. It's not a game that has shown an advantage of the power of the iPhone 5, but it's crazy addictive. Anyone have any pointers, though? Seems archers are the best way to whittle enemies down, but I am still trying to figure out what the best balance for tower setup is.

SmokyDave

WRC the game is now on iOS, rather fun but sloppy in visuals, really bad unreal image compression ruins the entire look of the game and makes textures mushy... very much like their console games, but if you like the WRC games the iOS version is alright for free, you level up and unlock things as you go along and the rally races have set points for air and drifting to earn boost, so it's a more arcade approach to rally, but only slightly.

I tried it and it made me want to gouge my eyes out with screwdrivers. Looks like a 3DS game.

It's 'rather sloppy' like the end of a gangbang.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

For gaming? Yeah, the Vita (even with its limited line-up) is better than what you can get on the iPad (that's just my opinion, of course).

The iPad is more useful as an overall device, however.

SmokyDave

That's my favorite thing about this thread -- when someone serendipitously stumbles on a game nobody has heard of and everyone falls in love with it.

Have we had any love for Battle Monkeys yet? I'm tentatively digging that although I only played it briefly on a co-workers phone earlier. It's free though. Monkey-based strategy tomfoolery.

Now that you said that it does look a lot like codemasters F1 2011 on 3DS...
It's just digital vomit. The handling didn't seem too hot in the 20 seconds I played before smashing my iPad into my face until I passed out.

GeekyDad

Kingdom Rush is sssooo good. Each map is perfect to fit in on my train commute to and from work. It's not a game that has shown an advantage of the power of the iPhone 5, but it's crazy addictive. Anyone have any pointers, though? Seems archers are the best way to whittle enemies down, but I am still trying to figure out what the best balance for tower setup is.

You'll find that, later on at least, each level calls for certain types of strategies. So, there's probably no specific build to cater to as you, but rather consider each level one at a time. Personally, though, I never upgraded my spell until after I had upgraded all of my towers and reinforcements. There's definitely room for experimentation and preference. But generally speaking, some levels call for heavy AOE, and others you might benefit from having strong meatshields while you, like you said, whittle away with archers. Either way, I recommend completing all levels on Easy; then go back to Normal and all that after you've had a chance to upgrade with the stars you earn from Easy.

kodt

Banned
For gaming? Yeah, the Vita (even with its limited line-up) is better than what you can get on the iPad (that's just my opinion, of course).

Yeah, I found myself only playing Rayman one level at a time and Montezuma Blitz. Any game that required a time commitment I just never started.

I did play Uncharted, but I played it on the couch at home, the same place I play PS3.

Mostly I wanted more quick play strategy type games and less long campaign/shooter games.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's my favorite thing about this thread -- when someone serendipitously stumbles on a game nobody has heard of and everyone falls in love with it.

This could still happen in a monthly thread. The only difference between those threads and this is that they'll run to about 3000 posts rather than the 20,000 in these ones. Same users, same forum, just easier for noobs to jump in on.

Change is scary, I know.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Not for everyone. There is very very little I would play on Vita. This is not the case for iPad.

Gaaraz

It depends how it's done I guess, if it's basically a monthly thread with a roundup in the OP I'd definitely be cool with that, can't see any real negatives.

If it's just really fragmented (like it sometimes is now even with the occasional OT) then I wouldn't like that so much

I don't follow this thread very closely and would greatly appreciate a monthly roundup. That 'Best iOS games' voting thread a while back was really useful, but obviously a lot of stuff has been released since then.

PittaGAF

FYI this 27 September, FINALLY, THE LAST EXPRESS will be out on iOS.

Here is the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSJfl-VqPBk

For the ones who aren't familiar with the game, it is imho one of the best adventures ever created.
The first and probably the only one real time adventure.
WARNING: The game uses a really particular animation technique, inspired by early 1900 art, the game setting, so it may be not for everybody.
If you get past that, you are in for a real threat.
Just my 2 cents...

Anno

I'm in the same boat. Played this thing for like 4 hours this morning! I like using the barracks guys as much as I can, but so many levels force you into other towers.

For people with more experience, are the heroes good? Apparently they level up through a map, which could be cool. Having some more micro interactivity moving them around or using skills would be fun.

Coldphire

Neo Member

I recommend beating all the levels on easy so you can get the stars for upgrades before trying on Normal. For each new level my basic setup is a Wizard tower first upgraded to orange to reduce armor followed by an Archery tower upgraded to the elves with Artillery upgraded to the non electrical one. The missle upgrade on that Artillery tower is cheap and very effective. I throw in Barracks to have at least one stop on each route but I never upgrade them until I have nothing left to spend money on. I use Reinforcements to slow down the enemy instead. There have only been two maps so far where an upgraded Barracks was "required" for me to beat it. The rest I never put any money in them until the very end.

Right before the exit I try to put two Wizard towers upgraded to purple and purchase the power to teleport enemies back up the path. This has saved me many times on those really hard but slow moving enemies. That is my basic test setup for a new level and it works most of the time, but you have to adjust based on the type of enemies and the order of the waves.

The game is alot of fun. I'm down to 5 levels left to complete on Normal and even with a Hero and full upgrades they are still a challenge so that is good.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, in case you don't already have it, App Shopper is saying tha Mos Speedrun is free currently.

Not my bag, but it's pretty highly recommended from what I hear.

Either way, I recommend completing all levels on Easy; then go back to Normal and all that after you've had a chance to upgrade with the stars you earn from Easy.

I recommend beating all the levels on easy so you can get the stars for upgrades before trying on Normal.
I am not one to ever play a game on Easy, but this advice is super sound. Having a healthy set of tower upgrades going into Normal is not something I ever would have thought of, but I now know what I must do. :p

IllumiNate

Any chance of Zen pinball 2 coming to ios? also is it crazy to think that zen pinball 1 will get updated for the iphone 5? What about older games such as sword and poker, DDPR HD, Kairosoft games, Carcasonne?

Why not just have the biggest games of the month with thumbnails and a description and then a list of the lesser games?

Bastion
bkqOZs.png

Bastion for iPad features all the highly acclaimed artwork, music, and narration that Bastion is known for, along with intuitive touch controls. Explore more than 40 lush hand-painted environments as you discover the secrets of the Calamity, a surreal catastrophe that shattered the world to pieces. Wield a huge arsenal of upgradeable weapons and battle savage beasts adapted to their new habitat. Finish the main story to unlock New Game Plus mode and continue your journey!

KEY FEATURES
- Stunning hand-painted artwork
- Critically-acclaimed original music score
- Hours of reactive narration deliver a deep story
- Intuitive touch controls created exclusively for iPad
- Variable difficulty for players of all skill levels
- Action-packed combat rewards playing with finesse
- 10+ unique upgradeable weapons to be used
- 6 powerful Bastion structures to be discovered
- 'New Game Plus' mode unlocked after finishing the story
- Game Center achievements and leaderboards

GAF Impressions
The World Ends With You
PjzENs.png

Welcome to Shibuya, a mishmash of attitudes and styles in the heart of Tokyo.

A boy named Neku wakes up in a crowded intersection, alone and unaware of how he got there. Then, he receives a weird text: “Clear this mission...or face erasure.” With that, Neku is thrust into a life-or-death Game that sends him scrambling down streets paved with one riddle after another...

What is the Reaper’s Game? Why is Neku a Player, and what is he playing for? Will the Game really end if he survives all 7 days? Another mystery is always around the corner.

GAF Impressions
Other Games
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic CD

I just made this quickly but what do you guys think?

Not too shabby, I think quoted fullsize screenshots would work better than tiny thumbnails though.

and TWEWY was august :p but I get your point.

GeekyDad

For people with more experience, are the heroes good? Apparently they level up through a map, which could be cool. Having some more micro interactivity moving them around or using skills would be fun.

I used the archer chick throughout pretty much all of the game. However, other folks prefer to invest their stars in tower/reinforcement upgrades, and that seems to work too. For me, I just enjoyed being able to move her anywhere I want on the map, which makes those pinch moments manageable. Of course, there were one or two missions that required serious amounts of AOE, and being able to reset your upgrades whenever you want is pretty friggin' awesome. Then, you can re-upgrade stuff in whatever way you need for a particular mission.

I personally don't think you made a mistake. I've had the Vita since the First Edition Bundle and have only played it a small handful of times, while my iPhone/iPad are played almost on a daily basis. But they have more that appeals to me than the Vita does, so that's what it really comes down to.

Here is the trailer.

For the ones who aren't familiar with the game, it is imho one of the best adventures ever created.
WARNING: The game uses a really particular animation technique, inspired by early 1900 art, the game setting, so it may be not for everybody.
Just my 2 cents...

Great news. It's been awhile since I've played through so I think I'll give the iOS version a go.

I have both-and if push came to shove-I'm keeping the iPad. Vita is nice-but I get much more enjoyment out of the iOS games-and that's no lipservice. I borrowed Uncharted from a friend of mine-and I play it on my train ride-I have to admit I find it kind of dull-but nearly every other time I've played one of my iPad games, be it Kingdom Rush, Infinity Blade or Hero Academy-the time flies by. I can't quite articulate it, but I have to say iOS is my most exciting platform currently-and I consider myself to be a "hardcore" gamer who has been playing for nearly 30 years! :)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hey so does anyone have a problem with the super hexagon crashing after the loading screen? On my 64gig 4S the game just hangs on a black screen. I have game enter disabled. Could that be it?

Game runs fine on my ipad3. I really want to figure this out before I go to work today. lol.

Anno

I used the archer chick throughout pretty much all of the game. However, other folks prefer to invest their stars in tower/reinforcement upgrades, and that seems to work too. For me, I just enjoyed being able to move her anywhere I want on the map, which makes those pinch moments manageable. Of course, there were one or two missions that required serious amounts of AOE, and being able to reset your upgrades whenever you want is pretty friggin' awesome. Then, you can re-upgrade stuff in whatever way you need for a particular mission.

Okay cool, I'll give her a try next. Fiddling around with the paladin type guy right now. He seems pretty stout, and it's nice to have such a highly mobile melee guy with good HP and damage.

Is there something that actually explains their abilities, though? I see a little blue aura around dudes when he's near them, but I haven't the foggiest idea what it does.

GeekyDad

Okay cool, I'll give her a try next. Fiddling around with the paladin type guy right now. He seems pretty stout, and it's nice to have such a highly mobile melee guy with good HP and damage.

Is there something that actually explains their abilities, though? I see a little blue aura around dudes when he's near them, but I haven't the foggiest idea what it does.

Haven't played in a few months, but I believe as they level up (which they level up from start in each individual mission), their new abilities are explained (or at least you can tap on 'em, I think, to see what their abilities are). With the archer, for example, she gets a wolf companion, which helps bottleneck waves while she does ranged damage.

You can also click (I think it's at the main menu) the option to view the tutorials, which should cover all that as well. It will basically link you to the game's website. Lots of useful stuff there, including strategy guides for each level. These dudes didn't skimp at all.

Chinner

Banned

while this thread is pretty good for the active community, it's pretty intimidating for the user who doesnt view the thread frequently. when i stopped ios gaming for awhile this thread would usually scare me off because you would change game so much and the OP was always outdated.

now i think about it, perhaps replacing this mega thread with monthly suppliments would be serve a better purpose. the actual discussion would not change at all, but instead we could make the actual op more useful. stand alone/hype games could still get the seperate threads if need be.

Ranger X

while this thread is pretty good for the active community, it's pretty intimidating for the user who doesnt view the thread frequently. when i stopped ios gaming for awhile this thread would usually scare me off because you would change game so much and the OP was always outdated.

now i think about it, perhaps replacing this mega thread with monthly suppliments would be serve a better purpose. the actual discussion would not change at all, but instead we could make the actual op more useful. stand alone/hype games could still get the seperate threads if need be.

I think there simply should be different threads for different things.
Want the "news of the day" or want to know about that current special on a game? Come here. There's a new popular game? Make an official thread and go there for impressions.

If we fragment this too much, its mostly the huge games that will retain attention, specials and deals will be harder to find as people will post them everywhere, the whole thing will be harder to follow as there will be alot of threads of IOS gaming and games, huge games will receive OT and again retain the attention from smaller games that could have been interesting.

I personally am ok with 2 types of thread. Only with 2 types this can fill a Neogaf page:

- Thread for general news / deals / suggestions / redeem codes
- Thread for a specific game (OT)

GeekyDad

Uh, Rayman is pretty good.

Just "pretty good"? I've been circling my finger around the buy button for days, but the issues I'm reading about regarding lost saves has me holding off. Wish someone would sell me on this game. "Pretty good" ain't quite selling me. :p

KTallguy

Banned

Here is the trailer.

Just my 2 cents...

I will buy this.

Zia

Just "pretty good"? I've been circling my finger around the buy button for days, but the issues I'm reading about regarding lost saves has me holding off. Wish someone would sell me on this game. "Pretty good" ain't quite selling me. :p

I can't go too in-depth, as I'm passing the phone back and forth playing right now, but I think it's the best platformer on the iPhone.

Fusebox

Banned

Get it, iOS GAF unanimously loves Rayman Jungle Run..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom