• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

Finally got around to playing asphalt 7 and it's such an improvement over the other games again, but it's making me get annoyed at my ipad 3 yet again too.

it uses for what I can tell the old iPad res in races and at a choppy 30fps too, i'll be so happy when apple stick an A6X in the next ipad, the current ipad is just not built for fast 3D gaming imo.

iPad is fine. Your problem is Gameloft. Take RR2 for example: retina res, antialiasing, and smooth frame rates.

I'm not saying the iPad hardware is perfect. Yes, a faster chip would be awesome, but some developers are so bad at optimizing their games frame rates (and file sizes...)

Flunkie

Banned
iPad is fine. Your problem is Gameloft. Take RR2 for example: retina res, antialiasing, and smooth frame rates.

I'm not saying the iPad hardware is perfect. Yes, a faster chip would be awesome, but some developers are so bad at optimizing their games frame rates (and file sizes...)

not necessarily

Silvawuff

Jungle Run is well worth the cost of admission. It's gorgeous, fun, and it's not anywhere close to being a "runner" game. This is coming from someone who does not like runners. It requires strategy, planning, and plenty of replays to finish a level. Its levels and art are unique. This game is a fantastic example of intelligent game design.

It may not be for everyone, but for $3 it's hard to pass it off.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just "pretty good"? I've been circling my finger around the buy button for days, but the issues I'm reading about regarding lost saves has me holding off. Wish someone would sell me on this game. "Pretty good" ain't quite selling me. :p

I would say it's the first autorunner I've played that feels like a platformer instead of an autorunner.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I would say it's the first autorunner I've played that feels like a platformer instead of an autorunner.

Agreed. There's 'Don't Run with a Plasma Sword' and 'Run Roo Run' that's also an anti-endless runner but it's not in the same league as Rayman. Rayman is probably the best example thus far on turning a core console game into a suitable iOS game

On that note, I'm looking forward to the iOS Meat Boy game

Mrbob

King Cashing is pretty sweet. Doesn't take long to finish, either.

I really need to try out Rayman if it's that good. I'm not a big fan of Run Roo Run or Don't Run with a Plasma Sword. Maybe we finally have a real deal running game.

Santiako

Just "pretty good"? I've been circling my finger around the buy button for days, but the issues I'm reading about regarding lost saves has me holding off. Wish someone would sell me on this game. "Pretty good" ain't quite selling me. :p

The game would be universally praised and be a GAF favourite if it was an XBLA/PSN/Steam game. It's fantastic.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
King Cashing is pretty sweet. Doesn't take long to finish, either.

I really need to try out Rayman if it's that good. I'm not a big fan of Run Roo Run or Don't Run with a Plasma Sword. Maybe we finally have a real deal running game.

It's worth the $3. If you liked Rayman Origins is a no brainer

Ranger X

Rusty Orb's price just went down to 99c!
(might just be a special but the page doesn't tell...)

Clickety click here

Photo-Apr-27-1-44-33-PM-642x481.jpg

523085082_screen2480x320.png

It costs a couple of dollars and has some addictive and quite tricky platforming, especially if you are the "got to 100% each level type". If not, you will just blow through it and it isn't particularly special outside the pretty graphics.

Agreed. There's 'Don't Run with a Plasma Sword' and 'Run Roo Run' that's also an anti-endless runner but it's not in the same league as Rayman. Rayman is probably the best example thus far on turning a core console game into a suitable iOS game

On that note, I'm looking forward to the iOS Meat Boy game

Dunno about that... I liked he game, but it did felt like they could have done more... Imo games like Super Crate Box, League of Evil and others showed that 2d platformers with precise platforming and fast reactive times can be good on touch controls with 2 buttons (jump/attack) and 2 directions... I would love to see a great platformer like Rayman with big levels and using this control scheme...

For a "runner."

This is such a stupid thing to say, as if being a "runner" somehow makes it less valid as a game or something. If they put virtual controls in to appease you, you'd just be holding down the RIGHT button the entire time anyway, so it'd still play the same, just with shittier controls.

Chinner

Banned
I think there simply should be different threads for different things.
Want the "news of the day" or want to know about that current special on a game? Come here. There's a new popular game? Make an official thread and go there for impressions.

If we fragment this too much, its mostly the huge games that will retain attention, specials and deals will be harder to find as people will post them everywhere, the whole thing will be harder to follow as there will be alot of threads of IOS gaming and games, huge games will receive OT and again retain the attention from smaller games that could have been interesting.

I personally am ok with 2 types of thread. Only with 2 types this can fill a Neogaf page:

- Thread for general news / deals / suggestions / redeem codes
- Thread for a specific game (OT)

nothing changes though if you just replace the megathread with a monthly thread. theres no fragmentation and you still keep your 2 types of thread'. there is more hassle but on the plus side we get a useful op that tells people who are not ios gamers what the releases of the moth are.

clear31

So I downloaded Roo Roo Run because it is free and it is...ok. I've gotten gold on the first 9 chapters and the game is almost a bit too simple for my taste.

Also, slightly annoying aspect is no Gamecenter cheevos are showing up. Is this a problem for me is bugged for everyone?

i really enjoyed run roo run, i could not put it down until i got that achievement for beating level 20 (1-15) straight with no deaths

Manax

HAS ANYONE FIGURED OUT CLOUD SAVES FOR RAYMAN!?

Just a heads up I downloaded it on my ipad and tried to sync the save (Rayman was already in my icloud list of applications)

It completely erased my save! (guess it synced the new save on the ipad)

anyway it syncs now across the ipad and iphone but i had to do all the levels i had already done again, may i just say it is so much easier on an ipad

I think there simply should be different threads for different things.
Want the "news of the day" or want to know about that current special on a game? Come here. There's a new popular game? Make an official thread and go there for impressions.

If we fragment this too much, its mostly the huge games that will retain attention, specials and deals will be harder to find as people will post them everywhere, the whole thing will be harder to follow as there will be alot of threads of IOS gaming and games, huge games will receive OT and again retain the attention from smaller games that could have been interesting.

I personally am ok with 2 types of thread. Only with 2 types this can fill a Neogaf page:

- Thread for general news / deals / suggestions / redeem codes
- Thread for a specific game (OT)

I feel like there's a missing middle ground between 'really notable game that deserves its own thread' and 'keeping abreast of everything that gets released'. PSN has a weekly thread. I think Nintendo's digital thread is monthly. If you guys like things as is, who am I to tell you to change. I'm just saying, as the intended audience for a roundup thread, I'd really appreciate it.

SteveWD40

Infinite Warrior has gone free for the day.

It sucked on the iPhone 4 however (iOS6), unresponsive menus and unresponsive swipes in game, died straight away even after hitting the timing easily, tried a few times and it doesn't always recognize your swipes, which is crucial for a game like that...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I feel like there's a missing middle ground between 'really notable game that deserves its own thread' and 'keeping abreast of everything that gets released'. PSN has a weekly thread. I think Nintendo's digital thread is monthly. If you guys like things as is, who am I to tell you to change. I'm just saying, as the intended audience for a roundup thread, I'd really appreciate it.

I don't think there's a 'you guys' as much as a couple of folks resisting change. Which I understand, but I think the new monthly threads could be a good thing for the community.

Ranger X

I just fear people would get lazy, in the mean that they wouldn't post much about games, obscure and new games because they'd go "oh well, if there's anything important, it will be there in OP next month".
The megathread encourages discovery and sharing on top of NOT giving more exposure to popular games much. (basically the games that don't need more exposure).

GeekyDad

Yeah, Rayman Jungle Run is pretty darn fun so far. They've implemented some simple yet ingenious ways to make it feel like a bona fide platformer while still only requiring a single input. Almost feels more like a Sonic game than a Rayman game. I get the feeling it's gonna be pretty short, though. :(

Either way, I hope we see more stuff like this from Ubi on iOS in the future.

Chinner

Banned
I just fear people would get lazy, in the mean that they wouldn't post much about games, obscure and new games because they'd go "oh well, if there's anything important, it will be there in OP next month".
The megathread encourages discovery and sharing on top of NOT giving more exposure to popular games much. (basically the games that don't need more exposure).

i don't agree. having monthly threads instead of this mega-thread would allow us to have more relevant OPs. discussion would otherwise stay the same, it would just help newcomers and otherwise people who don't frequent this thread a quick low-down of whats happening. equally, i do like how fast this thread moves, but i do think sometimes we mull over somethings too quickly.

i don't agree. having monthly threads instead of this mega-thread would allow us to have more relevant OPs. discussion would otherwise stay the same, it would just help newcomers and otherwise people who don't frequent this thread a quick low-down of whats happening. equally, i do like how fast this thread moves, but i do think sometimes we mull over somethings too quickly.

I agree. Having a fresh OP each month with what is coming up and the "best of" for the previous month will be very handy.

Chinner

Banned
i also think having monthly threads will give users searching through the threads a much easier experience. instead of having to wade through 20k posts to find some suggestions, you can just look up for example IOS june to see what we're saying, or just look at the OP for july to see if its there.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I think the biggest deterrent for monthly iOS threads is actually having people who'll constantly want to look at all current/new releases, decide what's not crapware and make new lists. If anything the discussion right now is just proving that most of us usually stop paying attention for a few of weeks and then try to jump back in. If there are those who are up to the task of organizing it for the rest of us lazy people, I'm definitely not against the idea (as long as there's a "new thread is up" at the end of the previous ones!).

Also, if most of the discussion moves to the monthly threads, will it still be ok to talk about older releases in those? I'm not familiar with how the other monthly digital release threads work to be honest. Will it just work like this megathread, except with an updated list in the OP?

GeekyDad

I think the biggest deterrent for monthly iOS threads is actually having people who'll constantly want to look at all current/new releases, decide what's not crapware and make new lists. If anything the discussion right now is just proving that most of us usually stop paying attention for a few of weeks and then try to jump back in. If there are those who are up to the task of organizing it for the rest of us lazy people, I'm definitely not against the idea (as long as there's a "new thread is up" at the end of the previous ones!).

Also, if most of the discussion moves to the monthly threads, will it still be ok to talk about older releases in those? I'm not familiar with how the other monthly digital release threads work to be honest. Will it just work like this megathread, except with an updated list in the OP?

Well, a monthly iOS-games thread probably shouldn't be handled in the same way as the PSN/eShop/etc. threads. Like you said, that could be a hell of a challenge to sift through all the shit. Rather, we could merely have folks call out games within the thread, and then list them in the first post as they receive attention within the thread itself -- a kind of build-as-we-go-type thing.

Games can only be added onto the list after a week, too many games get hyped on release day especially if cheap only to have criticism after a few days play. I don't see the need to day one review something like the iOS review sites. I'd like to see something that would have a longer life especially for new iOS device owners looking to catch up.

Dredd VS Zombies is surprisingly good. It certainly fixes some of the issues with dual stick games on iOS. Free to play, looks quite grindy if you want full upgrades on weapons, but it's good fun :)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Games can only be added onto the list after a week, too many games get hyped on release day especially if cheap only to have criticism after a few days play. I don't see the need to day one review something like the iOS review sites. I'd like to see something that would have a longer life especially for new iOS device owners looking to catch up.

Super, super agreed. Otherwise, we're reviewing our interal expectations as much as the game, and allowing the marketing to have undue influence. Give a week, let the game speak for itself, them let's add it to the list. Quite a few games would have ended up on there otherwise...Simpsons Tapped Out, for one, before it was pulled (before reappearing months later) due to it being broken.

chris121580

It is the best iphone game I've ever played. I just finished up everything last night. Game is absolutely phenomenal. Everyone should buy it

hiryu

Yes Rayman is easily one of the best games on the platform. iOS gaming has really come into it's own. Magic 2013, Infinity Blade II, Rayman, and Super Hexagon really have me playing a ton on my iPad. The amount of free stuff you get in Infinity Blade II is quite ridiculous. Epic are awesome at updating their game for free.

GeekyDad

Wow...just finished the first bonus level in Rayman Jungle Run. That's the stuff, man. Took me a while to figure out how to get past that one jump, but once it all clicked, it was blissful. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it reminded me of the same kind high I got from one of the segments in the original God of War, where everything just clicks together in this perfect way.

Anno

Yea or Nay on Lunar? I haven't played it in probably a decade and would love another run through if the port is good. From the pictures things look a little grainy and of course the font sucks, but I can live with all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom