• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeth

Oh wow, Puzzle Craft is very good. Ended up playing for a couple hours and making some in-app purchases voluntarily, which I NEVER do. Hopefully it holds up though, it looks like it might get stale after some time.

cackhyena

DR is the best puzzle game and the best RPG on iOS by some margin in my opinion. I have had it since launch at still play it now. Still not sure what builds people use to get beyond 10k though...

My best is a little over 8k and I thought I was killing it. Coins to Swords is an absolute must. My regen was something like 16 or 18 by the time I finally died. That was helping a lot. Got to the point where four regular skulls could do major damage on me. Also Teleport. Never dungeon raid without it.

HBP

Mad Skills BMX is pretty good so far, sure can be difficult though. I really like the way they did the swipe controls and the graphics/interface are really slick.

And I do have certain apps turned "on" in the Documents and Data areas in both my iPad and iPhone. For example, I have Infinity Blade 2 on both devices. Shouldn't I be able to play a bit on my iPad and then go to my iPhone and pick up from where I left off? That doesn't work, even with iCloud "on" on both devices and the Documents and Data also on for that game on both devices. It's clear that my iCloud is wonky and I don't want to risk deleting the game just to see if I can resume my save after reinstalling.

There is no implicit iCloud support for app data on iOS - each app must explicitly develop support for iCloud data sharing between multiple devices. The implicit "Documents and Data" area you're seeing for applications with no explicit iCloud support is simply part of the whole-device backup, which you can restore to a device after a factory reset.

Deleting the application from your device will likely also delete the data from your iCloud backup the next time your device syncs.

GeekyDad

Oh wow, Puzzle Craft is very good. Ended up playing for a couple hours and making some in-app purchases voluntarily, which I NEVER do. Hopefully it holds up though, it looks like it might get stale after some time.

Triple Town + The Settlers + Dungeon Raid = Puzzle Craft

Yeah, shit's crazy addicting. I'm another one who almost didn't buy it because of some of the stuff I was reading on TA (I'll learn eventually). But I always trust my crusty peeps on NierGAF.

Putzville prospers now.

dream

Think someone else mentioned that happening to them too over on TA. Sorry to hear that. Are you gonna take a break, or do have the heart to push past it?

Yeah, that was me over there. I'm gonna futilely hope it can be fixed but, if not, I'll probably just grumble and start a new game because I actually like it that much.

Still, 12 hours down the drain...

Nelo Ice

Banned
So for Happy Street where are bats? I don't even know how I got 1 bat tooth and I need 9 more to craft a dragon idol.
edit:and of course right as I ask I finally get one. Wow you have to really be watching out to even notice one if it even shows up.

chris121580

I absolutely love Horn but I'm done with it until they fix the check points. I made it at least 30 min in to the second part of the game and did like 3 or 4 puzzles and died at the final boss and had to completely start over. How developers still make this mistake, I'll never know. Completely unacceptable. I'm halfway through the game but that makes me not want to finish it

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah I'm not feeling Puzzle Craft to be as addicting as you all said it would be. It's okay but nothing special or anything. I find the puzzle parts to be kind of boring.

DigiMish

Got Puzzle Craft and will get to it later, but just discovered Happy Street has fishing. That pretty much makes it a keeper for me. Still gave the fuckers a 1-star on the App Store, though. When I say "no" to notifications, that means leave me the fuck alone!

Really dude? You love the game, but you give a 1-star review because of a notification snafoo?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
one last pitch for summoner wars, for which the complete pack (every faction) is on sale for a ridiculous $5 for the next few days. if you like strategy board games, or games like outwitters or hero academy even one iota, you owe it to yourself to try this. it's deeper than hero academy but still quite light and very easy to pick up

we have a very active gaf community in the ios board game thread playing it and are currently organizing a little tournament.

one last pitch for summoner wars, for which the complete pack (every faction) is on sale for a ridiculous $5 for the next few days. if you like strategy board games, or games like outwitters or hero academy even one iota, you owe it to yourself to try this. it's deeper than hero academy but still quite light and very easy to pick up

we have a very active gaf community in the ios board game thread playing it and are currently organizing a little tournament.

I can't beat the computer in the tutorial :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I can't beat the computer in the tutorial :(

Ok I didn't even remember what the tutorial matchup was but I checked it out just for you. :D

-Phoenix Elves are a strong faction with a weak (in terms of HP) summoner. Keep him safe and out of range when possible.

-For most factions, it's usually a good idea to build magic toward a champion to come later instead of spamming units (cave goblins is a notable exception since most of their strength comes from numbers and swarm attacks). Phoenix Elves also have cards that steal magic from your opponent if you have fewer units so you're REALLY incentivized not to spam units with them.

-Remember that unless your faction has some special ability, you have 3 moves then 3 attacks per turn. You generally want to build your entire strategy around these two facts to some extent. Get people in position to attack. Don't leave units just hanging around doing nothing. If you have extra cheap units doing nothing kill them yourself (and gain the magic for yourself) instead of letting your opponent do it easily.

GeekyDad

So for Happy Street where are bats? I don't even know how I got 1 bat tooth and I need 9 more to craft a dragon idol.
edit:and of course right as I ask I finally get one. Wow you have to really be watching out to even notice one if it even shows up.

I've seen them flying around in town at night. They flutter and are pretty easy to see.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I absolutely love Horn but I'm done with it until they fix the check points. I made it at least 30 min in to the second part of the game and did like 3 or 4 puzzles and died at the final boss and had to completely start over. How developers still make this mistake, I'll never know. Completely unacceptable. I'm halfway through the game but that makes me not want to finish it

Ugh. Thats what made me delete Shadowgun.

We did see that review, very nice :) Actually, the reception overall has been amazing. Unfortunately the game didn't shoot up the charts like we hoped (which is always the story.. we need to learn to adopt realistic expectations!), but we've definitely been getting great reviews from both critics and players, which we're proud of

Re: that specific challenge... one of my favorites, actually (but I'm a masochist.. ) ;) I've found a lot of people usually complete it after getting a magnet early during a round.. though it's definitely possible to do it without

Thanks for the kind words, dream!

Love the game, can't praise it enough.

Fusebox

Banned
I know it's old, but I am COMPLETELY addicted to Dungeon Raid. it's the best ios game I've played yet. it makes 1000000 look like garbage.

I couldn't get into Dungeon Raid at all...

My preference would be

Wargames > 10000000 > Puzzle Craft > Dungeon Raid

I'm horrible. Sitting in an airport for a couple hours, plus a 2 1/2 hour flight, and a 45 minute ride home, and the only thing I played was Puzzle Craft. I have SO many games in my backlog!!!!!

soldat7

Goko and Zabu. I cannot believe what those turds have done with the Dominion and Thunderstone franchises. It's inconceivable, it really is. There is a very interesting story developing right now, and even if you're not into board games, you might want to watch. For the train wreck, at the very least.

Fewr

Happy street
Apart from more space, what's the best thing I could buy with flooz? I'm about to buy the taxi thing, but I don't know if it's worth the price or if I should buy something else instead.

SteveWD40

My best is a little over 8k and I thought I was killing it. Coins to Swords is an absolute must. My regen was something like 16 or 18 by the time I finally died. That was helping a lot. Got to the point where four regular skulls could do major damage on me. Also Teleport. Never dungeon raid without it.

Ditto on all counts, my best is just over 8k, I ALWAYS grab:

Enchant (you can end up with massive poison, spike and regen)
Dazzle (Coins to Swords, as you say it's essential)
Teleport (obvious)

After that I tend to go for Banish for if a nasty boss shows up, Disarm, Last Stand (Paladin skill)...

Anyone get Simpsons Tapped Out?

It's your typical Farmville type but the Simpsons hooks in it have me quite enamored! I can get Scorpio's Lair in just 200 Donuts (like a billion years).

Origin ID is KidInsomnia and I NEED ALTERNATE DIMENSION SPRINGFIELD'S TO VISIT.

(That's how Frink explained them and who am I to argue.)

Goko and Zabu. I cannot believe what those turds have done with the Dominion and Thunderstone franchises. It's inconceivable, it really is. There is a very interesting story developing right now, and even if you're not into board games, you might want to watch. For the train wreck, at the very least.

I know about the Thunderstone mess, but what's wrong with Dominion? What a bummer.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Really dude? You love the game, but you give a 1-star review because of a notification snafoo?

I would to.

If I say no to notifications and you give me them you can fuck off on every level imo.

Hell I was thinking about getting that game but knowing it does that? No longer interested in the slightest. Too many games on too many platforms to deal with bullshit like that.

Ranger X

That's perfectly fine. This will make for people with no balls that don't really like the game and will have given it some 3-4 stars for no real reasons. Also, if someone like this writes a review it can be helpful. Thanks to this comment about the non-respect of the "no notification", I would not buy the game, not matter how good people say it is and no matter how much it costs.

sladeums

Fwiw I have notifications turned off in the options on Happy Street and consequently have never received a notification or alert of any type.

So I guess it's ymmv.

GeekyDad

Puzzle Craft is cool. Played until I ran out of coins last night :(

You ran out of coins? Really? How? You must be short-cutting, I presume? Eh, I guess you could, but I never felt the need. The only thing I've spent coins on thus far is farming, and I've yet to come close to running out.

Perfectly answered by:

I would to.

If I say no to notifications and you give me them you can fuck off on every level imo.

Hell I was thinking about getting that game but knowing it does that? No longer interested in the slightest. Too many games on too many platforms to deal with bullshit like that.

That's perfectly fine. This will make for people with no balls that don't really like the game and will have given it some 3-4 stars for no real reasons. Also, if someone like this writes a review it can be helpful. Thanks to this comment about the non-respect of the "no notification", I would not buy the game, not matter how good people say it is and no matter how much it costs.

Yeah, the main point is to get the devs to consider my issue with the game. The way I see it, I have two votes when it comes to what I buy on the App Store: my money and my rating. I try to use both wisely, regardless of how little an app costs.

Fwiw I have notifications turned off in the options on Happy Street and consequently have never received a notification or alert of any type.

So I guess it's ymmv.

That's not the point. If you ask me if I want notifications and I say "no" and you bypass that anyway, you're not respecting my decision. It's a sign that you have douche DNA in your blood and must be eradicated. I perform this procedure by giving your app a 1-star and telling you what a douche you are. Once the antidote is administered to the dev, they can make the appropriate changes, removing the douche particles, whereby I up my rating to 5-stars. It's a surprisingly effective cure.

Zzoram

Guys, there are several types of notification. Many games just disable some types when you say No but you have to manually disable the other types.

SeanR1221

You ran out of coins? Really? How? You must be short-cutting, I presume? Eh, I guess you could, but I never felt the need. The only thing I've spent coins on thus far is farming, and I've yet to come close to running out.

Perfectly answered by:

Yeah, the main point is to get the devs to consider my issue with the game. The way I see it, I have two votes when it comes to what I buy on the App Store: my money and my rating. I try to use both wisely, regardless of how little an app costs.

That's not the point. If you ask me if I want notifications and I say "no" and you bypass that anyway, you're not respecting my decision. It's a sign that you have douche DNA in your blood and must be eradicated. I perform this procedure by giving your app a 1-star and telling you what a douche you are. Once the antidote is administered to the dev, they can make the appropriate changes, removing the douche particles, whereby I up my rating to 5-stars. It's a surprisingly effective cure.

Nope, all I did was farm. Is there a money making technique I'm missing out on?

Even now I'm only sitting on 100 some coins, so 3 harvests and I'm done

PittaGAF

Finally installed Hunters 2 on my iPad and transferred the saves with iFunBox.

WOW, it's GORGEOUS.
I'm noticing a whole new level of details I didn't spot on iPhone 4S...the cores are actually spinning!!!

Still in love with the game, some contracts (paired with the additional objective) are really really awesome.
One of my favorite this year so far, I just wish it had iCloud.

I take chance to thank who talked here about iFunBox, sorry but I do not remember who was.
It works INCREDIBLY better than iExplorer on Windows, took me like 5 seconds to transfer the saves.
Thanks!

Ranger X

Guys, there are several types of notification. Many games just disable some types when you say No but you have to manually disable the other types.

Then we are still the proof their way of handling it isn't good. When we say "no" to notifications it should be "all notifications" then. We aren't saying "no, but I want a certain type", we are saying "no".

Keasar

Basically, put all your workers on making your farm more efficient and then sell excess wood, bread and chickens. You will quickly earn back any money spent on the farming.

inky

Try to sell some of your surplus stuff to get a few farms more, for example, bread and haystacks. (Chickens are better food for mining anyways, and once you get the appropriate upgrades you'll get about a dozen chickens per farm).

If you put all your workers on the right stuff (like less wheat per bread) and buy the right tools (like rakes and fertilizer) you can maximize your bread harvest very easily. I'm lvl 14, have about 450 coins, ~60 bread, ~40 chickens, etc. By the time I'm done farming it's usually time to collect taxes and tools already.

Such a fun game, and it's like the IAP are not even there.

Miyahon

Finally tried The Simpson's Tapped Out for iPad. Man does this game force you to buy IAP since everything past the tutorial and your initial supply of free donuts takes a long time. I wouldn't mind so much except even their lowest IAP of $1.99 won't get you very far. Not even $9.99 or $19.99 will buy you much. Their highest one is $99.99!

bonesquad

I know about the Thunderstone mess, but what's wrong with Dominion? What a bummer.

Check out the last few pages of the iOS Board Games thread. In short, browser version of Dominion launched. Didn't work. At all. Two days later, the game was sent back to closed beta (where it currently sits). Plus what we do know of the game and iOS wrapper app (similar to the Thunderstone "Gateway" app...) isn't exactly thrilling people either.

Hence forth whenever a game has a terrible launch we will say, "Well, at least it wasn't as bad as Goko! Remember them?" :)

Finally tried The Simpson's Tapped Out for iPad. Man does this game force you to buy IAP since everything past the tutorial and your initial supply of free donuts takes a long time. I wouldn't mind so much except even their lowest IAP of $1.99 won't get you very far. Not even $9.99 or $19.99 will buy you much. Their highest one is $99.99!

Yeah, it's nuts. I spent about $7 all told at the beginning but from here out I'm just going to pop it open every few hours and grind through. The thing I want most of all (Volcano Lair/SCORPIO!!!) would cost me like $30. That was a nice cold slap in the eye. I'll get there eventually.

KidInsomnia on Origin if you need a friend. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom