• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Hey, MrCheez, did you see this glowing review Pocket Gamer wrote about Super Mole Escape?: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Super+Mole+Escape/review.asp?c=43971

PS: f that "get 20 gem boosts before 500 ft" challenge.
PPS: I'm not shilling for GrumpyFace; Super Mole Escape really is that sublime.

We did see that review, very nice :) Actually, the reception overall has been amazing. Unfortunately the game didn't shoot up the charts like we hoped (which is always the story.. we need to learn to adopt realistic expectations!), but we've definitely been getting great reviews from both critics and players, which we're proud of

Re: that specific challenge... one of my favorites, actually (but I'm a masochist.. ) ;) I've found a lot of people usually complete it after getting a magnet early during a round.. though it's definitely possible to do it without

Thanks for the kind words, dream!

KingKong

Can't. Stop. Playing.

same, up to level 12 now

protip: build cottages and buy villagers as soon as possible. also get the 'free turn' things for chickens and wheat, you can make farming last forever if you do

im trying to get the gas pickup one, thats gonna help so much.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a damn about what TA thinks? Aren't they known for taking bribes for positive reviews?

Also, are there any good fighting games for the iPad? Street Fighter IV is for the smaller screened devices only :(

I don't care for TA but for different reasons.

gazele

Banned
Anyone in happy street getting bottlenecked by moonstones? Any secret to getting more? I feel like I haven't gotten any in a long time

RedSwirl

They figured out a good way to back up iOS save files yet? My iPhone is already running out of space mainly because of apps (games), and I'm keeping a lot of the bigger ones because I don't wanna lose my save files. Save management is one thing Apple really needs to work on for iOS6.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
They figured out a good way to back up iOS save files yet? My iPhone is already running out of space mainly because of apps (games), and I'm keeping a lot of the bigger ones because I don't wanna lose my save files. Save management is one thing Apple really needs to work on for iOS6.

Apple's provided iCloud which works wonderfully for the games that do use it, more devs should.

Use a program like iFunbox (PC/OSX) to backup the 'Documents' sub-folders locally of your installed iCloud-less apps.

matt360

Apple's provided iCloud which works wonderfully for the games that do use it, more devs should.

Use a program like iFunbox (PC/OSX) to backup the 'Documents' sub-folders locally of your installed iCloud-less apps.

I dunno why, but I can't get iCloud to work on my PC. I can't even download the iCloud Control Panel. It's quite infuriating. I would love to give iCloud a try, but so far no go. Any tips on what might be the problem?

I'll definitely give iFunbox a look though.

bonesquad

I dunno why, but I can't get iCloud to work on my PC. I can't even download the iCloud Control Panel. It's quite infuriating. I would love to give iCloud a try, but so far no go. Any tips on what might be the problem?

I'll definitely give iFunbox a look though.

Why can't you even download the iCloud control panel? Do you get an error, from Apple?

Though you only need that if you want to sync your photo stream or contacts/calendar to your PC. You can't download gamesaves/documents to your PC using this (you can only delete files from the cloud this way).

To use iCloud you just need to make sure it's turned on on your iOS device itself. Though only a few games use it to save gamesaves even if the app is deleted. If you want to save a backup of these files to your PC, iCloud isn't the answer. You need to use something else (like iFunbox).

inky

Bought that Puzzle Craft game and now I can't go to sleep. I gotta say this makes up for that boring Squids game you guys made me buy before :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Why can't you even download the iCloud control panel? Do you get an error, from Apple?

Though you only need that if you want to sync your photo stream or contacts/calendar to your PC. You can't download gamesaves/documents to your PC using this (you can only delete files from the cloud this way).

To use iCloud you just need to make sure it's turned on on your iOS device itself. Though only a few games use it to save gamesaves even if the app is deleted. If you want to save a backup of these files to your PC, iCloud isn't the answer. You need to use something else (like iFunbox).

Just to specify the bolded even further, 'Documents & Data' is what needs to be enabled in your iCloud settings on your iOS device. After that, games that support it will be able to store their saves in the cloud, even after the apps are removed from all your devices (you can delete those saves individually via the 'iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage' settings.

Shaneus

If it's anything like any other time-based IAP-type game, you can get around it easily enough with some nifty calendar shenanigans. This is what I did with Power of Coin:

* Fire up game, get into it so it's at least registered how many coins you have.
* Exit game, then kill it from the quick launch thingy.
* Advance a month (or day or whatever) via the iPhone's settings
* Open game to point where it says "where have you been we missed you lolz"
* Repeat steps to change date back

It's tacky, but not as tacky as charging for a game and then charging more on top to actually play it for any length of time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Damnit, Puzzle Craft is addictive as hell.

E: Also, how is it that people are complaining about the IAPs in this game? I can't find any reason to ever need them. I've got about 300 coins and enough material to build anything I want at level 11.

GeekyDad

Got Puzzle Craft and will get to it later, but just discovered Happy Street has fishing. That pretty much makes it a keeper for me. Still gave the fuckers a 1-star on the App Store, though. When I say "no" to notifications, that means leave me the fuck alone!

ToxicAdam

You might stumble across Fantasy Tavern and think it looks like an appealing game to try out, but you would be wrong.

It's so disappointing to see a good idea and decent graphics all wasted on poor gameplay.

matt360

Just to specify the bolded even further, 'Documents & Data' is what needs to be enabled in your iCloud settings on your iOS device. After that, games that support it will be able to store their saves in the cloud, even after the apps are removed from all your devices (you can delete those saves individually via the 'iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage' settings.

I don't get an error from Apple, it just doesn't download. It's forever stuck on 0%. I've tried downloading through firefox, through Chrome, I've turned off my firewalls and done everything else I can think of. iTunes runs just fine on my computer and I have had no trouble downloading and installing other programs and .exe files. It's only the iCloud Control Panel that gives me trouble.

And I do have certain apps turned "on" in the Documents and Data areas in both my iPad and iPhone. For example, I have Infinity Blade 2 on both devices. Shouldn't I be able to play a bit on my iPad and then go to my iPhone and pick up from where I left off? That doesn't work, even with iCloud "on" on both devices and the Documents and Data also on for that game on both devices. It's clear that my iCloud is wonky and I don't want to risk deleting the game just to see if I can resume my save after reinstalling.

I'm sure I'm just overlooking something very simple, but it has been quite frustrating trying to deal with iCloud.

Giard

I know this is the wrong thread for this, but I can't seem to find the iPhone thread anymore...

I was wondering if I could unlock my iPhone 3GS and remove the jailbreak afterwards? Shops are charging 75 bucks to unlock my phone, but I know how to do it myself.

If we can't talk about this, let me know and I'll delete my post.

HBP

I know this is the wrong thread for this, but I can't seem to find the iPhone thread anymore...

I was wondering if I could unlock my iPhone 3GS and remove the jailbreak afterwards? Shops are charging 75 bucks to unlock my phone, but I know how to do it myself.

If we can't talk about this, let me know and I'll delete my post.

No but if you have fullfilled your contract some providers will unlock it for you. (AT&T does this)

Booter

I know it's old, but I am COMPLETELY addicted to Dungeon Raid. it's the best ios game I've played yet. it makes 1000000 look like garbage.

Ranger X

I know it's old, but I am COMPLETELY addicted to Dungeon Raid. it's the best ios game I've played yet. it makes 1000000 look like garbage.

Dungeon Raid is freaking great. I'm also yet to find a better puzzler (of that style) on IOS. It is mighty excellent!

SteveWD40

DR is the best puzzle game and the best RPG on iOS by some margin in my opinion. I have had it since launch at still play it now. Still not sure what builds people use to get beyond 10k though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom