• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

heringer

Have you guys tried Trigger Fist? It's a multiplayer third person shooter. They did something very interesting to the controls, which is remove the Y axis altogether. It may sound bad, but it actually works really, really well, and I think it's a very good way to make the genre more approachable on touchscreens.

Game is basically a MP shooter with 3 different classes, some perks and the usual positive reinforcement stuff found in shooters these days. Main problem with the game is that, while matches are 4x4, there's only support for up to 4 players online, since they use Gamecenter. So they fill up with bots. Thing is, the AI is really good. I mean, really good. They will flank you, retreat if overwhelmed, pursue objectives, etc.

Not amazing by any means, but fun. Level design is pretty good too, even with the limitation of being in one plane only. Some fun modes, like a "oddball" mode where you carry and protect a goat (yeah). Graphics and sound are meh, but get the job done.

trigger-fist-ios-1.jpg

Panic over. According to TA it's fucked with IAPs. So download with caution.

Shame though, it's an utterly amazing concept.

You mean the one guy complaining about IAP? I wouldn't jump the gun yet, let's wait. Some people complained about Happy Street being riddled with IAP and I think the game is fine.

GeekyDad

Have you guys tried Trigger Fist? ...

Not amazing by any means, but fun. Level design is pretty good too, even with the limitation of being in one plane only. Some fun modes, like a "oddball" mode where you carry and protect a goat (yeah). Graphics and sound are meh, but get the job done.

Yeah, it looks like a decent guilty pleasure, but I'm gonna wait 'til it goes on sale.

Tess3ract

Banned
It doesn't surprise me. I mean that in NO negative way - the iOS market is a miserable platform to work with because of the mentality of most of the audience. SO many people wait to get games for free or on sale for $0.99 (because $1.99 -> $0.99 gold I guess). I'm guilty of waiting for sales, but that's only on titles I'm not terribly interested in. If I have ANY interest in a game, I'll pay full price.

It's sad, really.
Even on android it's the same thing.

I'll buy a $50 no problem on the PC but a $15 game that was ported all the way back from the ps2? Absolutely not.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i am really happy to pay full price for great games. and i LOVE apps like carc that don't waver with their pricing. i don't mind occasional sales for promotion like playdek does (everyone buy summoner wars complete set when it goes on sale tomorrow), but i get really cynical about developers who just constantly spam sales as part of some sort of marketing strategy. really makes you feel like a sucker for every paying full price. (EA)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
K so after looking at it FOREVER and seeing every update have AWESOME content, I'm finally about to pull the trigger on Starbase Orion. Are the people (sorry I forgot your names) who used to play coop in it still doing that? Or if not, willing to pick it up again? I distinctively remember 2 or 3 people in here... Let me know. :D

butzopower

proud of his butz
K so after looking at it FOREVER and seeing every update have AWESOME content, I'm finally about to pull the trigger on Starbase Orion. Are the people (sorry I forgot your names) who used to play coop in it still doing that? Or if not, willing to pick it up again? I distinctively remember 2 or 3 people in here... Let me know. :D

Play with me Smiley!!! We can play Ascension, SO, and GW2 4ever and ever.

And yea, those guys push some really feature rich updates.

Zia

GreekWolf

Kingdom Rush should satisfy all your TD needs.

IMO, Kingdom Rush is the best TD game ever made. It's so addictive, I actually had dreams of firing magic bolts and poison arrows at waves of goblins.

Field Runners 2 is probably the second best TD game, with great production values and gameplay... but it's ridiculously tough. I alternate between hating it and wanting to throw my ipad out a window, to weeping tears of joy whenever I manage to clear a board.

Ministration

Neo Member
I think the mentality that one can spend two years working on a game with an optional 2.99 IAP and expect to make a living is just as damaging if not moreso than the "wait for a sale" mentality.

When people were making flash games for a very similar audience they rarely quit their jobs. It should be the same with iOS. Until you can build a team and a reputation and get good games out in a reasonable time frame with (this is really key) ADEQUATE PROMOTION, you shouldn't be declaring yourself a professional developer, or quitting your old job as a professional developer.

All those early successes have really messed with people's heads. I don't think Richard Garriot or whoever quit their job at the PC store before enough checks rolled in on Alakazam and Ultima. The Team Meat guys worked real jobs during their flash game days. The same needs to apply here. Be businessmen, and stop expecting iOS to just pay by virtue of being available or getting a preferred app slot for a week.

No. It's just not 2008 anymore. Games are releasing by the dozen daily. Guys with good business sense are doing great on various platforms. But you never hear about someone quitting their job because their game might get on Steam; the iOS scene inspires a haphazardness that other indie-friendly platforms don't. Quit your job when you get VC money or when you make enough to support you and another dev for several years. Until then, keep working.

I just don't buy pricing excuses. You go lower on iOS for sure. But games like the Spiderweb RPGs do very well at $10 with rare sales to boost word of mouth. If the game is there, and it isn't just like 50 other releases that week, and you can get people aware of its existence, then you can make some good money as an indie dev.

Did flash games require the same investment that iOS games do these days? I wasn't aware that the flash games of old were made to the same expectations of polish and appeal that people demand of iOS games nowadays.

Spiderweb is run by Jeff Vogel and his wife. He's said blatantly on his blog that he isn't after success - he just makes enough to make ends meet for his family so he can develop the next Spiderweb game. It wouldn't be fair to compare any indie developer without an existing brand to someone in Vogel's current position; the latter has been at this for nearly two decades. He has an established fanbase that he can tap on with every game he makes. He can forecast his revenues; it's a done deal, and he is perfectly accepting of his routine. Not so for other indies.

Nobody gets VC money to make the indie game of their dreams. VC money only goes to two things: MMOs and stuff like Rage of Bahamut. EDIT: Sole exception to this rule would be Indie Fund, the guys who funded Dear Esther and QUBE - if you consider them a VC. (More like an angel investor, really.)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI this Thursday is going to be one of the best in months.

Three truly great games, in very different categories. Several B-tier games that also have potential to be great (haven't played them all yet).

Fusebox

Banned
Panic over. According to TA it's fucked with IAPs. So download with caution.

Shame though, it's an utterly amazing concept.

Some people at TA say anything with IAPS is fucked, I'll believe the Slide to Play review over those guys.

Anyway it looks awesome, I'm getting it!

soldat7

FYI this Thursday is going to be one of the best in months.

Three truly great games, in very different categories. Several B-tier games that also have potential to be great (haven't played them all yet).

Mind sharing which games? They all look rather sub-par to me.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Here I was about to rave about Trigger Fist and looks like I've been beaten to it!

I love console shooters, but my lifestyle is very "nomadic" right now so it isn't like I can just chill out with the latest COD. My issue with ios shooters has always been my difficulty in controlling them.

The only shooter I've really loved is the version of Wolfenstein 3d that I picked up a few months ago. The controls worked so well, I remember wishing that there were more shooters like that, without a Y-axis to complicate things.

I'd seen some buzz about Trigger Fist as a "hot" game and such, but didn't bother paying attention because it's "just another iOS shooter with crappy controls". Then I saw on the TA review that it didn't have a Y-axis.

Man, it changes EVERYTHING. Think of everything you'd expect in a modern FPS, and just take away the Y-axis and there ya' go. It handles like a dream.

Really guys, I'm not made of money and I don't even have my iPod connected to wifi all the time, but this game has great bot matches and it's (in my humble opinion) well worth $5. You'd likely pay at least that on any other platform.

Seriously guys, it's just that good. It isn't perfect. There's no 64-person multiplayer or anything, but it's kinda like being able to play Counter Strike on your phone. It's pretty special.

SeanR1221

Ugh, I was so excited for Random Heroes, but I'm really not feeling it.

Stiff controls
Difficult to jump on platforms/over enemies
Shitty IAP
Barely any levels
Moronic enemies

Very disappointed.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Mind sharing which games? They all look rather sub-par to me.

Puzzle Craft and Dominion. I don't think I can talk about the third until it actually goes up. People should be able to guess. Or maybe some sites are talking about it. IDK. I'm working late tonight and haven't looked.

Puzzle Craft is 100% legit. It DOES have some social game tropes (earning money every 2-6 hours, etc) but it is NOT aggressive about it. It's hours and hours of fun for $0.99 - no need to transact further.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Play with me Smiley!!! We can play Ascension, SO, and GW2 4ever and ever.

And yea, those guys push some really feature rich updates.

Ha! But it'll be coop, how will I beat you!

Also you're down with GW2? With the GAF guild? Sweeeeeeeeeet :D I'll get it when I'm home later tonight :p

SeanR1221

All the guns cost money and you can grind for them (in increments of coins worth 1.00 or 5.00!) or buy coins. Ugh.

Also, achievements glitched. They keep popping up over and over.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Haven't played in a while but yeah I think I was one of those people. :) GC is the same as GAF name.

SteveWD40

Another thumbs up for Trigger Fist, on top of what's been mentioned the AI bots are fucking smart and will push your shit in, which is nice for when you don't have wi-fi.

Card Boy

Banned
Playdek sale guys and gals.

Ascension - 99cents (and expansions 99cents each too)
Food Fight - 99cents
Nightfall - 99cents
Summoner Wars - Free but the decks are all on sale.

Pick up Ascension if you haven't already.

vesp

Ascension - 99cents (and expansions too)
Fight Fight - 99cents
Nightfall - 99cents

All of those except food fight are worth 50x that price.

Amagon

Quick question about the CAVE games. Bug Princess 2 Black Label is just a upgraded version of Bug Princess 2, so I should get the Black Label version if I don't own BP2?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Starbase Orion still grabs me, played a "quick" 2 hour game. What an excellent game.

The long awaited feature Diplomacy is slated for the next 1.1.7 update to boot!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So, then, it's like Civ? It's not one, long game? I could dig that.

I picked the absolute smallest/quickest rule set and map size for this particular one, against a single CPU opponent. But yeah I'd say it it similar to Civ in terms of game lengths. 4 player mp games can last a very long time depending on how active each participant is (4 humans, 4 cpu, gigantic galaxy map and you'll play 'forever'). :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Kingdom Rush is kicking my ass, which makes the game a love/hate thing. I LOVE that the game is fun and that it's challenging, but I HATE feeling terrible at the game, haha.

Zia

Puzzle Craft and Dominion. I don't think I can talk about the third until it actually goes up. People should be able to guess. Or maybe some sites are talking about it. IDK. I'm working late tonight and haven't looked.

Anyone know what this Mystery Game is? Also, didn't know Dominion was this week. Looks like I'll be digging in the couch for a few dollars.

Zeth

Quick question about the CAVE games. Bug Princess 2 Black Label is just a upgraded version of Bug Princess 2, so I should get the Black Label version if I don't own BP2?

Black Label is so much better. Especially on iOS. I wouldn't bother with vanilla BP2 if I were to get only one.

dream

Yeah, so, I don't know how pervasive the IAP in Puzzle Craft is, but the core game itself is like crack to me so far.

KingKong

Yeah, so, I don't know how pervasive the IAP in Puzzle Craft is, but the core game itself is like crack to me so far.

yeah same, I bought it last night and only played for like 20 mins but I can already tell how addicting its going to be

edit: looks like IAP is going to be just saving time. basically you can play the two match 3 games to collect resources to sell and wait for your taxes, or just buy coins. like right now I need to make a settlement that costs 500 gold and I have about 200

Ascension - 99cents (and expansions 99cents each too)
Food Fight - 99cents
Nightfall - 99cents

Thanks, I bought the expansions for Ascension. Is the "Promo Pack" worth it?

sladeums

Anyone know what this Mystery Game is? Also, didn't know Dominion was this week. Looks like I'll be digging in the couch for a few dollars.

Dominion was just submitted this week so it is very, extremely, highly unlikely it is releasing this week.

Thanks, I bought the expansions for Ascension. Is the "Promo Pack" worth it?
I think so.
Not as great of a value as the other expansions, but the cards are pretty powerful.

GeekyDad

Kingdom Rush is kicking my ass, which makes the game a love/hate thing. I LOVE that the game is fun and that it's challenging, but I HATE feeling terrible at the game, haha.

Well, you don't have to feel that you have to play it on Normal. KR has a progression system, so I recommend doing harder missions on Easy, earn stars, upgrade units/meteor spell, and then go back to them later on Normal and Hard. Eventually you'll earn all of the stars. But they set it up that way so that you can't plow through the game too fast.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So if anyone was brave enough to bite with Trigger Fist at $4.99 the patch this morning made the game crash when entering games.

I got around it by making sure Game Center synced my progress, then deleting and redownloading. Some folks have lost some progress, but I didn't so you might be safe also.

This game is a real gem, and I hope this patch doesn't become a huge stumbling block to the burgeoning community.

The devs are trying to push through an emergency patch ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom