• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasoco

Banned
One thing I just thought of while playing Evil League of Evil is how Super Meat Boy was smart in that when you die you restart immediately without requiring any interaction. It led to a much smoother gameplay session and less frustration than needed since there was no wait time.

League of Evil however does not do this. When you die, you get a useless "Try again or Quit" screen telling you a time that you don't need if you died. They really need to remove that. Would make playing the game, especially on the iPad, much less frustrating since you would never have to move your hands from the corners to tap the button.

There's no reason for the death screen. If someone wants to quit, they'll know to use the Pause button. Just get rid of it.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
No clue what this is or how it will play, but it sure is purty...

Is that Scrapper from Skyward Sword?

Zelda_Skyward_Sword_1028_26.jpg

Poetaster

Banned
One thing I just thought of while playing Evil League of Evil is how Super Meat Boy was smart in that when you die you restart immediately without requiring any interaction. It led to a much smoother gameplay session and less frustration than needed since there was no wait time.

League of Evil however does not do this. When you die, you get a useless "Try again or Quit" screen telling you a time that you don't need if you died. They really need to remove that. Would make playing the game, especially on the iPad, much less frustrating since you would never have to move your hands from the corners to tap the button.

There's no reason for the death screen. If someone wants to quit, they'll know to use the Pause button. Just get rid of it.

You can set auto retry in the settings. I think it was added with one of the updates.

BosSin

I got my iControlPad after 1 month of waiting today. It's pretty neat, enjoyed playing a little Drill Dozer with it, especially after making the gpSPhone on screen buttons transparent.

There's only a couple things that irk me currently, blutrol has an annoying habit of messing up my control layout by transferring to portait mode too easily and there is not enough utilisation of the analogue nubs.

All in all its a decent purchase and after more updates of blutrol I reckon it will be awesome, I only wish I knew how to access resources of some of the games so I can make on screen controls transparent for stuff like Sonic CD

protonion

I bought The Heist today. It was in my wishlist for months. It is an extremely polished puzzle game. It could be cheaper but it is worth it for two reasons (apart from the great puzzles).

-It does an amazing trick during gameplay
A russian chick calls you a few times throughout the game,pretty cool trick! Awesome ending too.

-Finishing it gives you Eets. A great steam indie game normally 9,99 euro.

Pastry

Banned
Snapseed is free today it isn't a game but it is a great photo editing app (universal) and it is free for Valentine's Day only.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Does anyone know how to unlock Expert mode in Beat Gather? Also, Beat Gather is FREAKING AWESOME. The automatic note charts it creates is pretty darn good, too. And it's obviously pretty awesome to make your own. Get a Japanese account if you don't already have one, and try this game.

There's some games I've been wanting to bring to everyone's attention on here and some of these you may already be aware of. Since the topic moves quickly at times I may bump this every now and then.

Gravonaut - $.99 - Basically a VVVVVV clone but the character automatically goes through the levels and it's your job to avoid obstacles by changing gravity. It's broken up into stages so it's not an average endless runner. It's also pretty challenging. The overall look isn't very appealing, but if you have been wanting VVVVVV on iOS this may fill the void a little.

Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h61i8o8YSf4

Pugs Luv Beats - $2.99 - I'm sitting here trying to describe what genre this would fall in and I can't pinpoint a single one. I guess "music" but there's also puzzle and lite strategy elements in it. Very unique game.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0i18_--8Yc

POH! - $.99 - Another endless runner with some collectibles so gameplay wise it's not different from others. But I love the simplistic art style. If you can't get enough endless runners then check it out. Otherwise it's nothing different.

Promo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3-c9_Nht4

Run, Jump, Kill! - $.99 - One of my favorite games for iOS. It's a 2D sidescrolling hack'n slash game, like something you'd see on the NES. If you're okay with virtual controls then this can be a fun and challenging game.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQDayaDQCMQ

These Robotic Hearts of Mine - Free for a limited time, normally $1.99 - Here's what a GAF member said about it:

Just blew through that robotic hearts game. Pretty cool. Some of the levels get hard, but you get infinite turns, so it's not like you won't eventually beat it. The story was simple, but great, with the perfect ending. It's free, so everyone should grab it. Even if you don't want to play the puzzle part, you can zip through the story (which is pretty short) by skipping the levels.

Cool find.

Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61aALmR97z0

Karate Girl Destruction Run - Free - Pixel art game where all you do is go from room to room and destroy as many objects as you can. One of the reviews on its page compared the gameplay to Joust and I can definitely see similarities. Fun little game.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HjF7HG5llk

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Finally finished up GTA3 on iPad after playing it on and off for months. Pretty fun experience all round, even though it's a damn frustrating and annoying game at times. I really really wish that rocks tar had work on the useability aspects of the game, because it's archaic and a pain in the arse at times. The targeting is such bullshit, the camera controls are crappy, and it doesn't help that the damage model is completely fucked as well. The enemies are deadly accurate from miles off and cars are seemingly made out of paper and roll over in a stiff breeze. But still, I had a lot of fun playing it and hope they bring vice city over soon.

Now to finish up Cihinatown Wars so I can clear a gig of space up on here :) had a quick play of that after finishing up 3 and goddamn is it a much easier, more fluid game to play! Tbh if I had to recommend only one, I would say to get Chinatown wars, it's just a much more polished experience. I was still glad to play 3 again though, it was a nice trip down memory lane.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You know what I'm sad about? There's Fifa12 on iOS, there's madden12 on iOS, but there's no NHL, the one that would interest me the most... and the 2k games one isn't that good. damn.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Really? I saw the first one is on sale for 99 cents

Yeah based on the TA thread.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=122739

NZ Release info :

The Game is out in New Zealand. It should be out in US at about 11 PM EST and Europe at around 12 AM UK time. Size of the app is 54 MB.

Price in NZ is $1.29 which should translate to USD $0.99 (Launch special)

Requirements : Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.Requires iOS 3.0 or later.

Get ready for the GREATEST platformer with the most responsive controls to hit the App Store yet!

** LAUNCH PRICE is ONLY $0.99 (67% off) for a limited time. Price will go up to $2.99 so get it today! **

Guess League of Evil 2 is launching at .99 on sale. Will probably pick it up.

It comes out tonight..did not know that. Bought!

EDIT: Update for Shogun is out:

New Control Options:
- Alternative static weapon menu
- Left/right handed

New Gameplay Options:
- Adjustable bottom deadzone
- Togglable hitbox diplay

Miscellaneous:
- New Audio Settings
- Score is now recorded on game over
- IAP restore bug fixed
- Various minor bug fixes

Updating right now.

Ranger X

There's some games I've been wanting to bring to everyone's attention on here and some of these you may already be aware of. Since the topic moves quickly at times I may bump this every now and then.

Gravonaut - $.99 - Basically a VVVVVV clone but the character automatically goes through the levels and it's your job to avoid obstacles by changing gravity. It's broken up into stages so it's not an average endless runner. It's also pretty challenging. The overall look isn't very appealing, but if you have been wanting VVVVVV on iOS this may fill the void a little.

Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h61i8o8YSf4

Pugs Luv Beats - $2.99 - I'm sitting here trying to describe what genre this would fall in and I can't pinpoint a single one. I guess "music" but there's also puzzle and lite strategy elements in it. Very unique game.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0i18_--8Yc

POH! - $.99 - Another endless runner with some collectibles so gameplay wise it's not different from others. But I love the simplistic art style. If you can't get enough endless runners then check it out. Otherwise it's nothing different.

Promo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3-c9_Nht4

Run, Jump, Kill! - $.99 - One of my favorite games for iOS. It's a 2D sidescrolling hack'n slash game, like something you'd see on the NES. If you're okay with virtual controls then this can be a fun and challenging game.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQDayaDQCMQ

These Robotic Hearts of Mine - Free for a limited time, normally $1.99 - Here's what a GAF member said about it:

Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61aALmR97z0

Karate Girl Destruction Run - Free - Pixel art game where all you do is go from room to room and destroy as many objects as you can. One of the reviews on its page compared the gameplay to Joust and I can definitely see similarities. Fun little game.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HjF7HG5llk

Thanks for you inputs in this thread. I was just thinking the whole think was slowing down and you appeared with this. I didn't know about Run/Jump/Kill and Gravonaut so I might just pick that up. Especially Gravonaut actually.

Im getting my first ever iPhone tommorrow (4S) after having my iPad2 for 6 months, what iPhone-only games have I been missing out on? Already planing on some Kairosoft games and FFT

Shearie

LOE2 is great so far even though gameplay wise it's the exact same thing as the first. Not a bad thing since I think LOE is the best platformer on iOS. Seeing screenshots of LOE2 made me iffy on the new art style they were going for but it actually looks great seeing it in action on my 4S and it's 60 FPS now.

Row

Banned
Never played loe1 but playing 2 now, and wow, the controls actually are really good. I thought it was just an issue with the tech that made virtual controls so bad, but apparently other devs just suck at it.

Vire

Never played loe1 but playing 2 now, and wow, the controls actually are really good. I thought it was just an issue with the tech that made virtual controls so bad, but apparently other devs just suck at it.

People don't ever believe me, these controls are amazing.

I guess you gotta play it yourself to witness touch controls done right.

Ranger X

ARRRRGH, damn you guys. I wanted to pass on the game because they ditched my beloved pixel art but... I accidentally pressed the buy button. Fucking laser mouse!

EYEL1NER

Didn't know anything about LoE prior to an hour ago, but I saw the hype in here for the second one coming out so I bought it.
I want to buy the first one, but it's stuck in 'being modified' hell right now. So damn annoying...
At first I was annoyed because there were free apps that weren't downloading and I was worried that I would miss out on them (like what happened with that Pigs game), but now I can't even spend my damn money. You would think that would be something they would want to get ironed out...

WoolyNinja

League of Evil 2 is great however I find some of the time limits to get 3 stars much more difficult in 2 than in any of the levels in LoE1. Also the double jump is a little more touchy in that you must start the first jump on a platform whereas in the LoE1 you could start the first jump just after leaving a platform.

Besides those two gripes the game is surprisingly better than the first. I thought that I'd miss the old graphics but these new cartoony graphics run so silky smooth its really amazing how great it plays!

Vire

LOE2 on the ipad2 forces youto move your hand to restart the level. Absolutely terrible design for a game like this.

Go to Options and turn on auto retry.

Hmm, really not liking the music.

Also questioning the decision to remove the sound effect for jumping. It made it easier to keep track if you used your double jump or not...

*shrug*

Nelo Ice

Banned
Wow U guys weren't kidding the virtual controls are spot on in LOE2. I wasn't a fan of virtual controls for most games but damn does it work well here. Think I may have to snag Super Crate Box and some other virtual control games next time they're on sale.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Go to Options and turn on auto retry.

Hmm, really not liking the music.

Also questioning the decision to remove the sound effect for jumping. It made it easier to keep track if you used your double jump or not...

*shrug*

Much better, thanks.

Shearie

LOE2 reminds me that so few developers use iCloud saving and it's such a wonderful feature.

I'm diggin everything about LOE2 right now except for the removal of the jumping sound effect.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The music blows in LoE2, and the visuals are a definite step down.

But who cares at all... This is incredible platforming on a touch screen. How.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom