• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can't get enough Cave shooters. When's the next one due out?

Fox Mulder

I really hope the ipad 3 is a quad core monster with retina display that leads to larger app sizes. Maybe then Apple will be forced to modernize their stupid ass method of app updates.

GTA3 has an update for bugfixes and stability, but will require downloading the almost 500 MB app again. Retarded.

Cave seems to keep their iOS pipeline pretty short - nothing announced yet but I'm sure you'll be the first to know if that changes.

As for other platforms, we're looking at dodonpachi Maximum on Windows Phone 7, dodonpachi saidaioujou at arcades, and Mushihimesama HD on 360 in the near future. No word on their plans after those three as far as I know.

I really hope the ipad 3 is a quad core monster with retina display that leads to larger app sizes. Maybe then Apple will be forced to modernize their stupid ass method of app updates.

GTA3 has an update for bugfixes and stability, but will require downloading the almost 500 MB app again. Retarded.

Yeah, I have almost a gig free but yet still can't download the update due to size issues. Oh well.

Danneee

Wasnt that one of te features of iOS 5? That you would be able to download just the uppdatering and not everything again?

Talon

Wasnt that one of te features of iOS 5? That you would be able to download just the uppdatering and not everything again?
That only applied to iOS updates. You don't download the whole package across the suite now. It's delineated by iPhone model, iPad model, and iPod Touch model.

Zeth

Debating on waiting for the iPad 4 or paying roughly $300 for a retina iPad after trading in my 2. Hmm.

Have access to Craigslist? Should be able to get more there. I'm surprised so many people skip gens considering the resale values. You can get the latest iPhone and iPad every year for $200-$300. Not saying that's cheap, but it's a worthwhile value for some.

Not sure if we know yet. Do you have Shogun and Phoenix? Those are my go-to non-Cave shmups, both are great.

What are we looking forward to this week/next? (on the app store)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
But when the Ipad5 will arrive it will already be the time to wait for the Ipad6 ...

Plus, have fun standing in line for 3 hours just to not get the iPad 5.
In all seriousness, I'd recommend waiting for the previous iPad's price drop, then wait until the new specs are out, the reviews are in, compare stuffs, add some tech giddyness and make an informed decision.

So browsing around kickstarter, I stumbled across an interesting sounding funded project, Zombies, RUN! (app link).

It sounds sorta like the game Epic Quest was supposed to be (which we never got), but for running rather than task management.

From what I understand, you use it as a app to record your running (works on a treadmill too), and simply start it with your run, and everything is done automatically. There's some stuff that goes on with headphones (it tells you stuff / story pieces / you run from invisible zombies), but at the end of the running session you are awarded stuff (weapons, med-kits, spare parts to expand your base). You then can use the rewards to improve your base and character's chance at surviving the invasion.

I have no idea if it's any good, or how well written/produced it is, but it sounds pretty unique. There's a few positive impressions at TA, but not much else. I've used Run / Walkmeter in the past, and as nice as it was, it just didn't have any hook for me to keep using it. I'm also not sure how versatile it is, it says you can use it at any pace including walking. My main problem is I usually don't run alone, so this may be limited to treadmill use or cutting the grass for me, if the headphone section is important for the enjoyment of the app.

Could be pretty good if it delivers what it says it does, if you're looking for something to fill this very small niche.

This seriously looks and sounds amazing. I might have to bite on this. I was just thinking about getting out there and running again now that the weather is getting better. If anyone d/ls this before me please leave impressions! Sounds fantastic!

I don't really use my iPad enough to constitute such a purchase, but I'd miss it more if I didn't have one I think.

I'm actually moving into a hand down cycle for this very reason. I keep the 2 until the day I get the 3 and then hand it down. then next year buy a 4 hand down the 3 sell the 2.

This is not the cheapest (and surely not the smartest) option, I'm well aware. Apple shareholders love my family.

What's the perspective on buying a used iPad 1 after the iPad 3 launches? Me and my wife really want an iPad, but they're pretty expensive to be used just as a convenient way to check e-mail while sitting on the couch...

Enco

What's the perspective on buying a used iPad 1 after the iPad 3 launches? Me and my wife really want an iPad, but they're pretty expensive to be used just as a convenient way to check e-mail while sitting on the couch...
Definitely wouldn't get the 1.

It might just be me but getting the oldest version of something as a new one comes out feels awful.

Get an iPad 2 but not 1. The difference is too big and it'll be worth paying slightly more.

Gazelle buy is 126 right now. I'd bet you can get one in the 150s pretty easily by April.

smuttlegiaco

Neo Member
splash.png

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

8.PNG

Nosferatu - Run from the Sun OUT NOW! 0,99$
:)

Enjoy the latest release from smuttlewerk interactive!

Fox Mulder

an ipad 1 will still be fine for what it sounds like you'll use it for.

Before I moved to an ipad 2, it felt like the last iOS update ruined the performance of the ipad. You might not notice for just email and browsing though. I play lots of games and watch videos.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
By the end of tonight I will most likely have bought all Knizia-boardgames and also own some other strategy titles, feel free to add me on GC under "smiley1790" to get some games going.

Enco

Just got Waking Mars.

Only played for around 10 minutes but here's how I feel so far:

Good
- The music is really nice
- The graphics are sexy
- The gameplay is fun. Barely scratched the surface but the plant mechanics seem cool

Bad
- 7% done in 10 minutes. Seems pretty short (it'll probably get harder and last longer later)
- When flying with the jetpack I find my finger(s) blocking the screen

chunk3rvd

Finally managed to get my first gift off Free My Apps in Infinity Blade II. Are there any good guides around that explain the mechanics of the game?

I understand the fighting mechanics - it's more the overall strategies I should be thinking about that interest me. Right now I've just started Rebirth 3 and have been upgrading as many equipment pieces as possible. Is that all there is to it?

Advice on this anyone? Do I just keep replaying the tower, exploring the different paths that open each time?

Advice on this anyone? Do I just keep replaying the tower, exploring the different paths that open each time?

Yep!

Try to upgrade as many different items as you can; the bonus skill points are crucial. Pay attention to the environment to pick up money as you move through. Drop+ gems and XP+ gems are pretty awesome. And healing is the only spell that matters. :p

colinp

Banned
Just got Waking Mars.

Only played for around 10 minutes but here's how I feel so far:

Good
- The music is really nice
- The graphics are sexy
- The gameplay is fun. Barely scratched the surface but the plant mechanics seem cool

Bad
- 7% done in 10 minutes. Seems pretty short (it'll probably get harder and last longer later)
- When flying with the jetpack I find my finger(s) blocking the screen

7% in ten minutes... :/

chunk3rvd

Yep!

Try to upgrade as many different items as you can; the bonus skill points are crucial. Pay attention to the environment to pick up money as you move through. Drop+ gems and XP+ gems are pretty awesome. And healing is the only spell that matters. :p

Thanks! I've been hesitant to use the gems because I used a pretty good early gem (+16 attack?) on my first sword and as soon as that was upgraded I would have had to pay to remove it each time so I just left it and stopped using gems :/

Thanks! I've been hesitant to use the gems because I used a pretty good early gem (+16 attack?) on my first sword and as soon as that was upgraded I would have had to pay to remove it each time so I just left it and stopped using gems :/

It seemed to be worth it for me. I always paid whatever it cost to pull my best gems off of my weapons when moving on. Especially since the strategy of "level up tons of weapons" means that you'll often be using underpowered weapons.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

In short yes, as you go along max out items and improve your character. New paths and main bosses open up over time, difficulty increases each rebirth. You won't see the full tower until in the teens rebirth-wise.

Such a great case. Hope they ready the new one ASAP.

I've had one since day one with my 2 and it's withstood an onslaught from my 2.5 and 4.5 year olds. To the point where I sent a tweet to Marware extolling the virtues of their product against toddlers and they replied "please don't keep testing it like that, but thanks for the good words!"

Canadian iOSers: This week's Starbucks free app is "Snapseed". Just downloaded it, haven't tried it yet, but it's normally $4.99.

I'm in Starbucks every week (writer lol) so I'll keep you guys up to date on what they're offering (and maybe grab a few extra codes).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Canadian iOSers: This week's Starbucks free app is "Snapseed". Just downloaded it, haven't tried it yet, but it's normally $4.99.

I'm in Starbucks every week (writer lol) so I'll keep you guys up to date on what they're offering (and maybe grab a few extra codes).

Wasn't this app free a while ago?

No idea, but the first Canadian to quote this post gets a free code for Snapseed, whatever it is. Looks like an iPad photo editing software app.

Zeth

I've had one since day one with my 2 and it's withstood an onslaught from my 2.5 and 4.5 year olds. To the point where I sent a tweet to Marware extolling the virtues of their product against toddlers and they replied "please don't keep testing it like that, but thanks for the good words!"

That's hilarious. For the 1 I had the Eco-View, and that was excellent too, but I much prefer the sturdiness of the CEO. The only thing I miss is the sturdiness of the flip-out typing stand.

Reese-015

"AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! (F = M x A)" KICKS ASS

Love the fact that we're seeing some really polished and maturely developed indie titles with attitude lately like this one, Beat Hazzard and ZiGGURAT. iOS gaming just keeps getting better and better.

"Aaaaa..." totally destroys all those flimsy tunnel racers and it's about time there was a game to crush all those half-assed attempts on the app store. Supersonic and Boost 2 are still cool but they don't touch "Aaaa...". Just like Beat Hazard, this game has been ported just perfectly and goddamn it it's like it's made from the ground up for tilt, it controls wonderfully.

Rlan

I'm really glad that exists, though. As soon as Apple get rid of it, developers will stop caring about optimising their games and suddenly everything is Fairway Solitaire and you can fit about four games on your phone even though the games could easily be under 20MB with a bit of effort.

Obviously it has other issues, but until everyone's using 1TB iPhones, any encouragement for devs to keep their app sizes down is good.

It should still exist for 3G data plan issues, but even 40MB would make things so much easier. Backgrounds or even just better music can really expand your file size.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom