• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoc

The 20MB 3G download limit is really holding things back, in our case at least. Being over that has a huge impact on sales.

Do you have direct experience of that on the iPad, or are just assuming that if it's true for the iPhone, it's true for the iPad? It really seems weird to me that so many people would be downloading apps over 3G on the iPad.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
End Night (iPad only) just got an update, fixed all the issues I'd had with controls, camera and lighting in one fell swoop, well done! For those not in the know, it's a neat survival zombie game where you run around a town collecting zombie samples while fending off the undead, and it plays a lot like a single stick shooter. With these issues all ironed out I give it a whole hearted recommendation, it's a great tense little game.

hyp

End Night (iPad only) just got an update, fixed all the issues I'd had with controls, camera and lighting in one fell swoop, well done! For those not in the know, it's a neat survival zombie game where you run around a town collecting zombie samples while fending off the undead, and it plays a lot like a single stick shooter. With these issues all ironed out I give it a whole hearted recommendation, it's a great tense little game.

awesome, think I'll nab it now!

yogloo

I always seem to end up making the stupidest of moves, so my record is around 230k or something. Haven't played it for a while though. Got kinda boring in the long run, darn ninja bears...

Hot damn. My best is only around 120k. Any tips?

Noticed that Dream Heights was out worldwide now... yay?

You know what I really hate about ios?

Rate Dream Heights 5 stars in the App Store, so we can continue making exciting features and floors for you!

it's not just Zynga that's guilty... pretty much every fremium shit is like this =/

Can devs even check your review came from you?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Uuh, they don't mean for you specifically, just that it helps it sell and thus they can keep supporting the game...

Zia

Waking Mars review [Edge]:

http://www.edge-online.com/reviews/waking-mars-review

The separate pieces of the game all speak of care and craft. Movement is handled with wonderful economy as a swipe of the finger sees you jetting around even the most complex environments, while simple animations combine with old-fashioned storybook textures to build a peculiarly intimate view of this strange rocky world. Waking Mars is ultimately a game about ecological balance, but it’s the balance of a different kind – of art, narrative, and puzzle mechanics - that makes it so very satisfying to play. [8]

ToxicAdam

Kingdom Rush was one of my 2011 (casual) games of the year. I was completely burned out on the TD genre, but this one was just irresistably fun.

Not sure how it plays on mobile devices, but it was great on the PC.

99 cents for it is a steal.

I also hit a wall pretty early, in Pagra's (third stage) heroic mission. Certain upgrades help a lot in some stages. In Pagra's, the meteor upgrade helped a lot.

Keep trying!

dream

Holy shit, look at this Zombie Panic in Wonderland game that comes out tonight!

mzl.weczswpd.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.tpkcxhzo.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.sioelxpg.320x480-75.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Doubt I'd enjoy it as much as on Wii even with added content. Fingering vs pointing >_>

Btw it's a static shooter. I'd say on rails but you're mostly immobile, like in Blood Bros.

Minsc

Gold Member
So browsing around kickstarter, I stumbled across an interesting sounding funded project, Zombies, RUN! (app link).

It sounds sorta like the game Epic Quest was supposed to be (which we never got), but for running rather than task management.

From what I understand, you use it as a app to record your running (works on a treadmill too), and simply start it with your run, and everything is done automatically. There's some stuff that goes on with headphones (it tells you stuff / story pieces / you run from invisible zombies), but at the end of the running session you are awarded stuff (weapons, med-kits, spare parts to expand your base). You then can use the rewards to improve your base and character's chance at surviving the invasion.

Here's some of the info from the app description:

mzl.gvqgrefa.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.ggzpaxvl.320x480-75.jpg

WALK, JOG, OR RUN ANYWHERE
Zombies, Run! works anywhere and at any speed. You can jog in a park, run along a beach, or walk along a trail. It even works on treadmills!

YOU ARE RUNNER 5
Hundreds of lives are counting on you. You've got to rebuild your base from a few shivering survivors into a fortified beacon of civilization by collecting critical supplies and avoiding roving zombie hordes. Can you save them and learn the truth about the zombie apocalypse?

A WORLD OF STORIES
With 30 missions and over 40 runs worth of gameplay, you become the hero in an epic story of humanity’s struggle for survival where your running *really* matters - and there’s a deeper mystery to be uncovered as well...

YOUR OWN MIX
Choose your own custom playlists before you start running: the story unfolds in between your tracks through a series of dynamic radio messages and voice recordings.

INTERVAL TRAINING - WITH ZOMBIES
With our optional ‘Zombie Chases’ mode, you’ll need to increase your speed and work up a sweat if you hear zombies on your tail. That’s right - we’ve made interval training *fun*!

KEEP THE SURVIVORS ALIVE
You automatically collect items like medicine, batteries, and ammo while running - but when you're back home, who needs them more: the soldiers or the doctors? Which buildings need extra defenses? It’s up to you - and the bigger your base, the more missions you can play.

NOTES
- The launch version comes with 13 missions, with 17 more missions to be released in upcoming free updates
- Requires iOS 5 or above. Works on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPod Touch 3rd gen and 4th gen.
- Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- Accelerometer mode requires you to keep your device unlocked while playing, which can dramatically decrease battery life.
- If you backed us on Kickstarter or pre-ordered via our shop, please download the “ZR Advance” app instead.

COMING SOON
- Run logs
- Audio notifications of time and distance
- More Season 1 missions
- Much, much more!

I have no idea if it's any good, or how well written/produced it is, but it sounds pretty unique. There's a few positive impressions at TA, but not much else. I've used Run / Walkmeter in the past, and as nice as it was, it just didn't have any hook for me to keep using it. I'm also not sure how versatile it is, it says you can use it at any pace including walking. My main problem is I usually don't run alone, so this may be limited to treadmill use or cutting the grass for me, if the headphone section is important for the enjoyment of the app.

Could be pretty good if it delivers what it says it does, if you're looking for something to fill this very small niche.

anyone day-1'ing the next ipad?

ive been saving bit by bit since last year(just to make sure im not grabbing a chunk out our savings for something frivolous) and im super excited. gonna accompany it with a decent pair of over the ear headphones and probably a gift card so im not having apple hit my account for all the HD edition of games ill eventually get.

Chopper

ive been saving bit by bit since last year(just to make sure im not grabbing a chunk out our savings for something frivolous) and im super excited. gonna accompany it with a decent pair of over the ear headphones and probably a gift card so im not having apple hit my account for all the HD edition of games ill eventually get.

I'd like to, assuming I can offload my iPad 1 for a reasonable price. Is ebay my best bet?

I'm not braving crowds (too old for that) but I will be putting in an online order for a 2S/3/Whatever.

My wife will get my iPad 2. I think that's fair. She already has a 4S, but, is "curious" about having an iPad.

Feel like putting in an order for a Marware CEO Hybrid 3 now.

I'd like to, assuming I can offload my iPad 1 for a reasonable price. Is ebay my best bet?

they say its the best place to get the most, but you have to be weary of paypallers who dont pay. craigslist is second....if you have the heart for it.

I'm not braving crowds (too old for that)...

this is my first day 1 apple purchase, but i hear the stories. if you preorder or purchase one online cant you just walk in a day later and get it? or do they not take pre-orders?

Holy shit, look at this Zombie Panic in Wonderland game that comes out tonight!

Wow, that looks stunning. Free, too!

(Presumably with IAP, but I'll definitely give it a go.)

Also, on the earlier topic of devs not bothering to optimise their games for small filesizes, check this out; it's Fancy Pants Adventure:

XTEOX.jpg

How big do you reckon? 20MB? 50MB? 100MB? What's your money on?

Apparently it takes up an incredible 1.1GB of space on your device.

lostxii

Also, on the earlier topic of devs not bothering to optimise their games for small filesizes, check this out; it's Fancy Pants Adventure:

XTEOX.jpg

Where did you find this number. On Touch Arcade, the NZ release is supposedly 269 MB.

Edit: nvm. wow, wonder how that happened.

they say its the best place to get the most, but you have to be weary of paypallers who dont pay. craigslist is second....if you have the heart for it.

this is my first day 1 apple purchase, but i hear the stories. if you preorder or purchase one online cant you just walk in a day later and get it? or do they not take pre-orders?

What I dealt with last year was each store had allocations and are separate transactions from anything online. Anything ordered online comes to you straight from China. Anything picked up in the store is a same-day in-person transaction.

From last year:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...-pre-orders-dont-start-until-then-either.html

I went to a few stores about a week after launch, couldn't find anything and eventually got lucky at a Target about 2 weeks after launch. Apple wants lines. It CRAVES lines. To avoid the line rush, just order online and wait a few more days.

Enco

XTEOX.jpg

Pahahahahah what a complete joke.

To put this in perspective, Just Cause 2 and Skyrim are around 5GB to download.

Even though I only got my iPad 2 in October, I'd be tempted if I can offload it to a friend or someone local. Mainly because I think I choose poorly when I got the 16GB version - it hasn't been a problem yet but I can see it becoming a problem in the future.

What I dealt with last year was each store had allocations and are separate transactions from anything online. Anything ordered online comes to you straight from China. Anything picked up in the store is a same-day in-person transaction.

From last year:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...-pre-orders-dont-start-until-then-either.html

I went to a few stores about a week after launch, couldn't find anything and eventually got lucky at a Target about 2 weeks after launch. Apple wants lines. It CRAVES lines. To avoid the line rush, just order online and wait a few more days.

yeah.....fuck that. ill be going to a target or BB in my area. im not even getting my warranty through them so no need to go to apple.

Just because I was curious.

Ipad 2 16GB Wifi Good condition on Gazelle (using the Amazon gift card payment option) will give you ~$233.

Seems to be right in line with last year and the 1s when we first went through a new iPad iteration. These things lose about ~50% of their value after a year and ~75% of their value after 2 years.

Breaks down to a $22 a month device rental fee, essentially, if you flip it after a year. But, I'm sure if you go Ebay or Craigslist, you'll get a better return, this is like selling your car to a dealer.

Kingdom Rush was one of my 2011 (casual) games of the year. I was completely burned out on the TD genre, but this one was just irresistably fun.

Not sure how it plays on mobile devices, but it was great on the PC.

99 cents for it is a steal.

Loved Kingdom Rush-my favorite iOS game by far. I've gotten all the achievements and stars, etc on it-just waiting for more content.

I started playing Jelly Defense to scratch that Kingdom Rush itch, but it's not quite...gelling...with me? I really like the polish that Kingdom Rush has...

WoolyNinja

XTEOX.jpg

In response to that spoiler - WHAT?!? That's insane for that game. IN-SANE!

bonesquad

YESSS was waiting for this. And Tikal too, awesome. You can never have too many awesome boardgames, i hope i have some gaffers on my friendlist who have it lol

It looks like Ra and Medici are also on sale with T&E and Tikal (BGG). Has anyone played any of these? I only have T&E right now, but for a buck each I'll probably just grab them all later.

muu

So browsing around kickstarter, I stumbled across an interesting sounding funded project, Zombies, RUN! (app link).

May have to give this a try as I'm getting ready to ramp up my running. Too bad I don't have any good running headphones anymore -- got rid of those as I got into cycling, which is none too safe w/ earphones on.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It looks like Ra and Medici are also on sale with T&E and Tikal (BGG). Has anyone played any of these? I only have T&E right now, but for a buck each I'll probably just grab them all later.

Oh god why are you doing this to me, i'm a sucker for boardgames. I have none of these, i have Caylus, Ticket to Ride and Ingenious (alright, not really a Euro-style boardgame, bu still)

Ra is a must have too. I got really addicted to it a couple of weeks ago (having never played it in real life). It's simpler and quicker than T&E and Tikal. The rules are incredibly straight forward, the only thing that'll take two or three games to get to grips with is how what you're buying is converted into points at the end. I haven't played much of Tikal, but T&E is also great. It has a nice tutorial too that walks you through a full game.

Fox Mulder

craigslist has no fees.

I sold an ipad 1 on ebay in january for $360, and ebay took $32 for a final value fee after paypal took a fee of $10 from the buyer's payment. Plus paypal put the money into a hold until the buyer left positive feedback because I don't sell often enough and it's a high risk item apparently. That was even with a 100% positive 200+ ebay feedback score since 2004.

Bought T&E. Board game whore. GC says not many people are playing it though and only 4 people on my GAF friends list own it. If that changes, feel free to send a game invite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom