• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastry

Banned
Damn! If you own an iPad and don't spend the $1.99 on Incoboto as soon as you read this you are probably a bad person unless you're really damn broke. It's an adventure game where you run around planets feeding your cool star friend and figuring out what the hell happened to the rest of the stars. Controls beautifully and you only need one hand! It's also a one person job which is pretty damn impressive. It's an awesome example of ios games done right.

Disclaimer: I haven't beaten it yet so it could all fall to shit but I doubt it.

plc268

No they aren't. But that game is not worth $5.

App games will always be app games.

You still haven't explained why it shouldn't be worth $5. If you can come up with some real constructive arguments, then fine. But if all you're going to do is whine about the price for no reason, well that doesn't provide for good conversation.

So yea, what is an "app game?"

Just because it's a game on a touchscreen device doesn't require it to be $1. We've seen plenty of titles lately that are well deserving of $5 or more, and from the looks of it, Waking Mars is one of them.

Flunkie

Banned
I like the trends of the "big" games coming out at $2 and $3. Raise those damn prices people. App Store gaming is too cheap!

I think more of a push for ipad gaming would help, not all games are good to play on an iphone screen. I've got quite a few $5 - $10 games for my iOS devices happy to pay if the game is of good original quality.

Aaron

okay big shot

What's the word on FFTactics controls?
It's fine. The only thing I find odd is when selecting characters in battle, you need to tap on their heads and not the space they're standing on. Once I realized this, I had no problems... except strangely when you pick up an item in the field, tapping the screen does nothing. You need to tap the okay button.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Played WM for an hour and a half. The controls take some time to get used to, and you gotta play it in a way that your finger doesn't cover the screen, but this is really interesting. It's exactly what we should expect from TigerStyle; a completely original game that's unlike anything out there.

The game has a heavy emphasis on story. Basically a robot from your company that was sent to Mars to investigate went missing, and it dropped a few signals with mysterious photos. You are a dude who's on a mission to see what's up with this, and explore Mars.

The atmosphere reminds me a lot of Super Metroid. The gameplay couldn't be more different though. The mechanic here is to plant flora. You find seeds and learn about alien plants. It's pretty cool because these plants interact with each other. There's one water plant for example that gives you "water seeds" which you can use to alterate the properties of another plant. There are rooms that are blocked and to continue you gotta make use of the seeds you have in order to raise the "plant activity" level and proceed. I can see some strategy in this, specially if you want to raise the level to the max.

As you progress screens the story keeps progressing.

It reminds me a lot of Spider. The main mechanic is pretty simple, but it has depth behind it. The music is very cool (alienish), the art is fantastic, and the narrative is intriguing.

SmokyDave

No they aren't. But that game is not worth $5.

App games will always be app games.

If people like you prevent people like me from buying high quality iOS games, I'll not be happy.

If £2.99 is too much for a video game, find a new hobby. 'App games will always be app games' is an idiotic sentiment.

colinp

Banned
don't feed the troll

I'm waiting to pick up Waking Mars to hear more about the length. It does sound interesting, but it isn't like I'm lacking other iPhone game at the moment so I'm not sure I need to dip in right this minute. Still, glad to see a new release from Tiger Style. The icon looks *really* terrible though, hah.

Enco

Played a bit more of Waking Mars.

1 hour 20 in and around 30% done.

I'm guessing it's roughly a 4-5 hour game which is pretty good considering your average console game length.

Really enjoying it and the story is fairly interesting.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

I'm guessing it's roughly a 4-5 hour game which is pretty good considering your average console game length.

Wow, so its pretty long then. Will get.

PittaGAF

I need a little push :)

Loved Spider (loved how they told the story, I love Mars, ancient alien civilizations, sci fi and the like)...the only thing that kept me buying the game immediately were the videos.
To me the main character animation is a bit rigid and I'm not sure going with real life portrait was the way to go (they do not seem to fuse well with the rest of the game)...am I wrong?

Convince me :)

BTW according to Tiger Style playtesters:

'Also, there are 2 (and a half) endings. Total game time is at least 6 hours for a minimum playthrough, and new playtesters who have gone all the way through to the special ending have sometimes logged 10-12 hours. ' (quote from TA thread).

eiskaltnz

So far Walking Mars is awesome. I am getting a strong Aquaria feel from it which is a great thing.

I am about 22% in and 45 minutes play time so it is not a super short game.

Also picked up aaaaaaaaa! but have not started it yet. Loved the PC version and this one looks great also.

Just trying out uniwar.

Anybody know of any good hex based strategy games? Ideally I would want something like battle isle 3 or panzer general

Enco

I need a little push :)

Loved Spider (loved how they told the story, I love Mars, ancient alien civilizations, sci fi and the like)...the only thing that kept me buying the game immediately were the videos.
To me the main character animation is a bit rigid and I'm not sure going with real life portrait was the way to go (they do not seem to fuse well with the rest of the game)...am I wrong?

Convince me :)

BTW according to Tiger Style playtesters:

'Also, there are 2 (and a half) endings. Total game time is at least 6 hours for a minimum playthrough, and new playtesters who have gone all the way through to the special ending have sometimes logged 10-12 hours. ' (quote from TA thread).
10-12 hours? Wow.

I wasn't a big fan of Spider. Much prefer Waking Mars.

When I first saw videos I felt the animation was kinda off but now that I've played it I like how it looks. The 3D character is still slightly odd (3D on the iPhone is usually awful) but it definitely doesn't detract from the game. The main thing I don't like is how the environment is much sharper than the character.

It's worth the price tag though. Considering how it's fairly long.

Is anyone finding they have no patience at all with free iOS games? I've got even less than I used to. A game has about 20 seconds to impress me or it's gone, there's too many games to bother with ones that don't start well.

I downloaded Zombie Panic in Wonderland based on the screenshots in this thread, then after looking at the shop (about 1,400 separate IAPs) I started the game. It started showing me loads of slides with details on how to play, and I just thought "I can't be bothered with that" and deleted it. They never seemed to end.

It's just amazing how many developers still don't get iOS gaming. The touchscreen is never going to be an adequate replacement for a controller, and so the games that are fun are the games that don't try to overburden the player with swipes and gestures and on screen commands and loads of buttons and stuff. I don't really enjoy Angry Birds, but I can't fault that it's a perfect iOS game, and a lot of devs could learn from it as an example of how you build a game for the platform, rather than building a game and then shoehorning it on to the platform.

Enco

Is anyone finding they have no patience at all with free iOS games? I've got even less than I used to. A game has about 20 seconds to impress me or it's gone, there's too many games to bother with ones that don't start well.

I downloaded Zombie Panic in Wonderland based on the screenshots in this thread, then after looking at the shop (about 1,400 separate IAPs) I started the game. It started showing me loads of slides with details on how to play, and I just thought "I can't be bothered with that" and deleted it. They never seemed to end.

It's just amazing how many developers still don't get iOS gaming. The touchscreen is never going to be an adequate replacement for a controller, and so the games that are fun are the games that don't try to overburden the player with swipes and gestures and on screen commands and loads of buttons and stuff. I don't really enjoy Angry Birds, but I can't fault that it's a perfect iOS game, and a lot of devs could learn from it as an example of how you build a game for the platform, rather than building a game and then shoehorning it on to the platform.
Totally with you.

Far too much crap on the store. I don't even bother with free games. 99.9% of them are complete garbage.

Totally with you.

Far too much crap on the store. I don't even bother with free games. 99.9% of them are complete garbage.

Depends. If it a type of game I usually like, I'll stick with it. If I downloaded it just because I wanted to take a look and its tedious, I have a very short fuse.

I picked up T&E for a buck; I'm glad it was that price. It's functional, but that's about it. I was having some performance problems (4S), especially the menus which are super slow. But the presentation is nice, and the AI seems pretty good. Its been a year since I last played T&E IRL, and getting back into the mindset took a while. But if you like really challenging abstract board games, this is one of the absolute best ever made.

SeanR1221

So I logged into Origin the first time I played The Simpsons: Tapped Out. Now I have to login every single time I play? That's pretty terrible design.

The game is ok, but hiding items behind donuts is shitty, especially because it would take forever to get to 200 donuts.

Just as people start to talk about not having any patience with free games, a lovely little turn-based strategy game called Idonia has just come out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZftM3dovzc

Very slickly presented, interface works extremely well, bit of a bare bones story but there's a fair amount of humour which is nice. It's not IAP heavy (the only real game-changer IAPs are one that lets you add an extra character to your team, as well as one that resets all the treasure chests in the game, but again these aren't necessary in the slightest) which makes a change.

Has a nice little multiplayer colusseum mode which works extremely well too, using account names that you create upon starting the game. I'm Zektbach in the game, haven't played very much but usually with free games I'm either gripped within 15 minutes or it gets tossed. 15 minutes long passed now, still playing it.

Idonia - AppStore

Also, Simpson's Tapped Out has the most fucking obnoxious and annoying notification sounds ever, so annoying that they made me delete the game. Yes, I get it, you want me to play your game, let me know in half a second or less please.

Gala

Damn! If you own an iPad and don't spend the $1.99 on Incoboto as soon as you read this you are probably a bad person unless you're really damn broke. It's an adventure game where you run around planets feeding your cool star friend and figuring out what the hell happened to the rest of the stars. Controls beautifully and you only need one hand! It's also a one person job which is pretty damn impressive. It's an awesome example of ios games done right.

Disclaimer: I haven't beaten it yet so it could all fall to shit but I doubt it.

Amazing game so far! Played about 5 Puzzles and the game gets more and more complex with several items to use, lots of different puzzles to solve and besides that I really enjoy the story so far and the art is stunning! Really polished game by only one guy!

lostxii

Just played an hour of Waking Mars and so far it's a great game. Love the pacing and cultivating and ecosystem is alot more fun than it should be.

Playdek update from BGG:
- Nightfall: Nightfall is now less than a month out from release. It will have the Playdek features you know and love including a new and improved User Interface and the return of the online game timers. The game will launch with the three original promo cards available as unlockables. Future promo cards and expansion are planned for the app.

- Summoner Wars: Testing is going well and they are moving forward. The app should be released before June.

- Agricola: This project is moving along as well. It should be available by Summer 2012.

gnarlycrow

Neo Member
Playdek update from BGG:
- Nightfall: Nightfall is now less than a month out from release. It will have the Playdek features you know and love including a new and improved User Interface and the return of the online game timers. The game will launch with the three original promo cards available as unlockables. Future promo cards and expansion are planned for the app.

- Summoner Wars: Testing is going well and they are moving forward. The app should be released before June.

- Agricola: This project is moving along as well. It should be available by Summer 2012.

Cool. Looking forward to all of these. I think Ascension is my favorite IOS game so far.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I see a lot of love for Waking Mars. How does it play on iPhone?

Occasional awkwardness in covering yourself with a finger when you fly around but otherwise really well. I'm 2h 50min into it and I'm really liking it overall, very nice atmosphere. The world really opens up with multiple paths to areas and you find yourself visiting old areas again to improve/achieve objectives you couldn't do before with new seeds.

Chopper

Right, okay. So, this Simpsons game. I'm enjoying it far more than I should, but I need an Origin buddy to do a mission. Any takers? I'm IAmChopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom