• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Kioshen said:
What's your gamertag on 360 ? Might as well add you on there too.

lyte edge

gundamkyoukai said:
Nothing crazy about it .
Many people including me said a while back SNK needs to build on KOF13 .
The system is really good so they don't need to change it around , what they need is old chars back .
While 30+ is good for a fighting game both 98um and 2002um have over 50 plus chars .
When you look at it KOF13 missing half the cast .

Yup. And it's been that way for a while, IIRC.

Although I disagree with you on bringing more characters back. One of my biggest complaints about KOF XII and KOF XIII is that they went with older characters, despite the fact that they re-released '98 and 2002 with added characters/moves.

New characters, please.

BadWolf

_dementia said:
Apparently KOF'02 UM is more popular in Japanese arcades than 13 as per the Arcadia rankings. Crazy stuff.

One thing SNK really messed up on in XIII is K', damn near every japanese match you find of the game starts with a K' mirror match. I'm sure this and Raiden really took out the fun for ppl at the arcades.

Another thing is that UM is available on the Nesca arcade system ,XIII is not. I'm sure this has something to do with things as well.

If they actually wanted more sales, they should have called this King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 3.

MI being SNK's highest selling KOF in the states ever.

BadWolf said:
One thing SNK really messed up on in XIII is K', damn near every japanese match you find of the game starts with a K' mirror match. I'm sure this and Raiden really took out the fun for ppl at the arcades.

Another thing is that UM is available on the Nesca arcade system ,XIII is not. I'm sure this has something to do with things as well.
I wasn't expect NESiCA to take off after all those initial hiccups with BBCSII lol (but I guess folks got over it as that game was consistently high in ranking too). Good to know though.

Criminal Upper said:
If they actually wanted more sales, they should have called this King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 3.

Or they could use the profits from KoFXIII to make another 2.5D KoF with a story mode with a console release first or only.

called The King of Fighters 14

Lyte Edge said:
Yup. And it's been that way for a while, IIRC.

Although I disagree with you on bringing more characters back. One of my biggest complaints about KOF XII and KOF XIII is that they went with older characters, despite the fact that they re-released '98 and 2002 with added characters/moves.

New characters, please.

New chars not going to make the old fan base move on , SNK really needs for that to happen.
Right now KOF fans are split between 3 games with some only playing 1 of them .
I play all 3 but when KOFXIII comes out i will mostly be playing that .
What you really want is mix of both for KOF XIV add 4 old teams back and 2 or 3 new teams so you have some new some old .

They also need to upgrade the arcade version after the home version comes out .
Maybe add few more chars that we can get as DLC later on .

alstein

gundamkyoukai said:
New chars not going to make the old fan base move on , SNK really needs for that to happen.
Right now KOF fans are split between 3 games with some only playing 1 of them .
I play all 3 but when KOFXIII comes out i will mostly be playing that .
What you really want is mix of both for KOF XIV add 4 old teams back and 2 or 3 new teams so you have some new some old .

They also need to upgrade the arcade version after the home version comes out .
Maybe add few more chars that we can get as DLC later on .

XIII has to be the standard, no matter what people think. SNK's future is on the line enough that even if 98UM ends up slightly better, I'll be playing XIII.

alstein said:
XIII has to be the standard, no matter what people think. SNK's future is on the line enough that even if 98UM ends up slightly better, I'll be playing XIII.

I know KOFXIII has to be the standard but it's not in the arcades in Japan .
So hopefully some more old chars plus some new ones can help people move on .
I will mostly be playing KOFXIII like i said but i got friends that will always play the old ones until there chars come over .

For eg i have friend who plays Geese , Mary , Yamazaki , Shingo and none of them are in KOFXIII i going to force him to play it but i will still have to play old ones with him .

BadWolf said:

Ugh, I'm gonna be perfectly honest, I don't want KoF to do well on Nesica if only to make SNK hesitant to put XIV or XIII's update there =/

Kikujiro

Criminal Upper said:

MI was garbage, but MI2 was great, full of contents and fun to play. It's similar to the passage from XII to XIII.

I really hope kof 13 becomes something big. Regardless of how popular it is casually internationally, the series at this point has no serious tournament presence. I'd love for it to blow up and become a major player in the scene.

FindMyFarms said:
I really hope kof 13 becomes something big. Regardless of how popular it is casually internationally, the series at this point has no serious tournament presence. I'd love for it to blow up and become a major player in the scene.
Agreed. We need more Real Honest Fighting™

_dementia said:
Agreed. We need more Real Honest Fighting™

haha I love it!

As of right now, it seems like the only people in dallas interested in KoF are myself, arthur, and the mexicans. A group of guys just got a new stream running, Boom Gorillas. I'm thinking about trying to make KoF13 a feature game one day out of the week, and hopefully that brings some awareness to the game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mr. Karate or EX Kyo reveal tomorrow?

Tizoc

SAB CA said:
You just like saying "No offense", lol. Anywho, it's as worthwhile to fathom on, as to why they originally said "Console will offer no new gameplay content!" and then later came with what they have now (thought to partially be an answer to the Arcade Dump leak, just like it was with BBCS.)

It's easy to say "It's just what they decided!"... but this is a discussion forum. We discuss things... Gotta have something to do in between trailers and new gameplay!
...but I see nothing to discuss about it with KoF XIII...but KoF 14? Now there's a game they can add a subtitle to.
In fact here's my list of what teams could be in KoF 14 if it were the Ash Saga dreammatch, feel free to swap characters around if you feel they fit better with other characters: (quote my post then copy pasta what I wrote in Excel)
Kyo Benimaru Goro Team Japan
Mai Yuri King Divas Team
Iori Mature Vice Team Iori
Terry Andy Joe Team FF
Athena Kensou Chin Team Athena
Elisabeth Shen Woo Duo Lon Betty Team
Ryo Robert Takuma Kyokugen Team
Leona Ralf Clark Ikari Team
Kim Kap Hwan Jhun Chang Team Korea/Kim
Billy Raiden Hwa Jai Geese lackies team(?)
BJ Malin Oswald Outlaw Team
Gai Kasumi Hinako Aspiring Fighters team
Yamazaki Gato Eiji Assassins team
Hotaru Kula Momoko Young girl team
Shingo Chizuru Sho 2 Guys and a shinto priestess (OK I just put them together due to laziness =V)
B. Mary Vanessa Ramon Team Two buxoms and a gringo (Or Law and Order Team)
K' Whip Maxima Team K'
Tizoc Duck King Tung Fu Rue Fatal Fury Team 2
Mukai Magaki Saiki Boss Team 1 (Saiki team)
Geese Mr. Big Silver Boss Team 2

EDIT characters:
Shion Jyazu Ash Adel Maki
Kusanagi/EX Kyo EX Robert EX Iori
Mr. Karate (Hidden boss?)

That's exactly why I was saying it, lol. I even commented on it there :) Console Edition balances deserve to be played and shown by such players, that's what I was getting at. We've seen what arcadegoers do with their K' and Raiden's... and in that new vid, with their Maxima and Yuri. I'd love to see how well that Maxima player there, would use his new GuardPoint Cancel... of what his Yuri would get out of Super Cancellable Hyakuretsu Binta.
Well when The arcade ver. gets updated we'll see that version on A-cho. Until then they could put up Console ver. matches.

alstein

I just hope if the new arcade version has changes from console, that console gets patched to match the arcade as an optional toggle like what BB had.

After AE I want the option to revert a patch if it's a downgrade.

xero273

kind of want to play this during thanksgiving break. Anyone order on Amazon and do 1 day shipping? Did the estimate change to arriving the next day?

alstein

xero273 said:
kind of want to play this during thanksgiving break. Anyone order on Amazon and do 1 day shipping? Did the estimate change to arriving the next day?

Safest bet to get it before Thanksgiving is likely retail (gamestop/wal-mart)

This is one of the rare times I actually pre-ordered at Gamestop.

BadWolf

alstein said:

I don't think there will be a problem just to walk in and get the game.

I'll wait a few painful days to see people's online play impressions and then run out to get it if they are positive.

xero273

alstein said:

Unfortunately that is something I can't do since I have lots of amazon credit. I just hope amazon did what they did for MGS collection and ship out early even though their estimate date for that was next week.

alstein

BadWolf said:
I don't think there will be a problem just to walk in and get the game.

I'll wait a few painful days to see people's online play impressions and then run out to get it if they are positive.

I don't think there will be a problem if you live in a decent-sized city.

I'm just hoping the online's decent, though day 1 I likely will be trying to figure out some basic combos, and if certain chars are for me.

KOF needs a good online more then any other fighter- due to its low population base and high amount of gimmickry. Just playing a local community isn't enough to get good at KOF.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Today's Blog update appears to be about "The Network Mode":

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2011/11/post_50.html

Includes a video of Replay Mode in action.

Prof's Translations / Notes on the Blog:

SNKP made their weekly blog update. This week, it's about the network but there's not much worthwhile info except that you can go frame by frame in replay. Hopefully it's frame-by-frame in 60fps. Interestingly, there's no mention of a slow-motion option in the blog, but the sample video shows it. Hopefully the blog's staff didn't mistake the two terms (frame-by-frame and slow motion).

Also, they're out of things to talk about and they're wondering what to write about in the next update. Here's a quick summary.

• Network mode roughly has two options, "Ranked Match" and "Player Match". Ranking Match allows you to play with a determined set of rules and your winning results will reflect on your ranking. Player Match on the other hand has no effect on ranking but lets you customize the rules up to a certain level.
  • You can search for opponents by "Quick Matching" or "Customized Matching". You can set various search options when using Customized Matching. Like for instance, you can filter network speed by four levels/bars. The search options are somewhat different between Ranked and Custom matches. Also, you can set a region filter as well as a network speed filter when you're hosting.
  • As a network-mode-only feature, you can save replays. You can also upload replays, but only in Ranked Match and if you're in the monthly 100s.
  • Your saved replays can be viewed from the Replay Mode in the main menu. You can also download replays from the rankings and use them for studying. You can display/hide the meters, attack data, command data, jump through rounds, pause, and go frame-by-frame.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Terareflection said:
It's safe to preorder off Amazon, they now offer release date delivery, I just preordered off them.

Also this:

The King of Fighters XIII: Tutorial Series: Beginner Level
Yeah just got this in the mail
Props to Atlus.

As a network-mode-only feature, you can save replays. You can also upload replays, but only in Ranked Match and if you're in the monthly 100s.
Really? How hard must be to do it locally?

Oh and i think that the slow mode is the frame by frame option by holding the button down.

Fersis

_dementia said:
Release day delivery? Okay, I'll update my order.

Free?

Prime FTW.
Fuuu damn i need a credit card.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You guys gets agitated at the littlest things!

It could be similiar to SSFIV, and save the last few matches on the system temporarily, and allow you to convert those afterwards. The "Online Replay only" could refer to something else. Or It could be exactly as bad as we think.

Either way, it's not worth getting too bent out of shape for.

I do dislike how this Gen in general seems to disrespect offline play, however. What is it about the availability of online, that makes offline so easy to ignore? So many fighters ignore signing in with dual profiles on system, or letting player 2 choose their own custom options. Achievements are normally locked to player 1 earning only. Additional ranking and modes are even sometimes linked to online only.

Doesn't really matter THAT much in the end, but so many games repeat these same mistakes...

At least you have the options of Camera record / direct feed streaming and such offline. Not very convenient, though...

Top Bottom