• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV 5th Teaser Trailer (K', Benimaru, Robert)

BadWolf

Heh the best part about the huge roster is that they can comfortably reveal a few characters each month all the way till the end of the year.

Sure hope we will start seeing more characters soon that haven't been in KOF in a while, or at all, though.

Sayad

Heh the best part about the huge roster is that they can comfortably reveal a few characters each month all the way till the end of the year.

Sure hope we will start seeing more characters soon that haven't been in KOF in a while, or at all, though.
Down side is reveals doesn't show enough of the characters. All we know about Angel is that she's in the game, while most of what we know about the characters move sets and the game's mechanics come from PSX show floor demo. SNK should step up their marketing. And enough of those zoomed in cuts, they make the game look worse than it is, just show normal footage with in match UI.

Isn't the game supposed to be playable at some games show this week?

Also, welcome back. :)

Tizoc

Down side is reveals doesn't show enough of the characters. All we know about Angel is that she's in the game, while most of what we know about the characters move sets and the game's mechanics come from PSX show floor demo. SNK should step up their marketing. And enough of those zoomed in cuts, they make the game look worse than it is, just show normal footage with in match UI.

Taipei Game Show is on the 30th IIRC.

BadWolf

Probably wrong on this but there is just something about the spacing on these stages behind the characters that makes it seem like they are making space for teammates...

Thanks ^_^

Yeah it's supposed to be playable 29/Jan to 2/Feb in Taipei.

I know what you mean about the character showings but at the same time it's pretty clear that it's crunch time over at SNK and they are revealing stuff as they are working on it.

They are also adjusting the game mechanics (they are still undecided on how Just Defending will work for example) so they probably don't want to set anything in stone yet via official trailers.

One thing is clear though from what we have seen so far and that is the character move sets are very "full". Wouldn't worry about Angel etc. being gimped.

i don't like how overdesigned and baggy K''s outfit looks

his 13 outfit was great, clean simple lines.

kdash-kof13-stance.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Maybe they should had started with less characters so the ones that were there look better?

They did that, it was called KoF XII and XIII! I'd have liked them to start off with a game that could afford less characters too (like a MOTW 2), but that never seems to be possible for them. KoF is their money maker, and their gateway to new projects. Unlike in the past, where KoF was a celebration of all the successful projects they already had out.

I think the models look pretty sub-par. And the animation and hitstop and all that jazz don't look good either to me. imo of course.

People are judging on what's there. Why do they need to worry about the behind the scenes stuff. It's not their problem, it's SNK's problem. They are going to ask for money for this. People can bitch.

Because if you're just speaking opinions, without knowledge of why things are like they are, you're just making noise. Threads for games are for discussion, not just for complaints for the sake of complaining. They're asking money for a game, a complex collection of varied pieces, not a photo album, or something purely visual.

If I went into threads for every game that has great puzzles or environments, but crappy, lifeless, or tiny characters (a personal pet peeve), and complained about how much I dislike such designs (especially well before release!), the people who enjoy the game for it's primary intent (the puzzles and levels and music and etc) would be agitated, and rightfully so. Especially if 1 goggle search away would let me know the dev made something to my taste previously, it didn't sell well, so now they were trying the opposite.

As far as "animations and hitstup and all that jazz", I'm still quite happy with how well they've done here. Definitely got the KoF DNA there. Hopefully, they'll do a comparison with this 5th trailer too, so we can clearly see what they've improved (or not) now.

Probably wrong on this but there is just something about the spacing on these stages behind the characters that makes it seem like they are making space for teammates...

Agreed, it looks under-utilized right now. Even if not teammates, maybe they'd put dynamic spectators (Hwa sneering at Joe, Rock watching Terry fight, Mai for Andy, and vice-versa) there, and those models just aren't done yet! (also unlikely, lol.) It'd be a really cool way to get like... every KoF character & sub character ever to appear in the game in some form or fashion, without them needing to be on the roster proper.

Finaika

There's plenty? 3D fighters with 50 character cast upon first release? Ok, tell me, which?

What do we have in the past decade to compare it to? UMVC3? SFxT?

How many fighters, even in the golden age, released with this many characters, and didn't re-use direct sprites and models from previous releases? How many companies have as little 3D model games out in this modern day and age, on consoles, as SNKP?

(Having previous work of this type would make it easier for the assets to look better on the same budget.)

The complaints about graphics are just get more and more ignorant as information about the game is released. There'd be much more to complain about if this game was releasing with the same "16 characters at first" ideal as SFV... or less!

... but it's not. Over 3x as many characters, on release. And for probably the same (or less!) price.

So even with the same budget, lets figure what SFV would look like with 1/3rd less model / texture / animation work per character as it does now. As much as people keep harping on XIV, it's overblown for the sake of sensationalism by now.

The internet is pretty silly with the fine line between "making excuses' and "being realistic about what you're seeing".

Urban Reign.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Urban Reign.

But... But Urban Reign is a Beat 'em Up... based off the Tekken Force Engine... with Paul and Law as playable characters! It's like "Reused assets to make an awesome new game"-ahoy!

But I have to admit, I never think of it as a game with 60+ playable characters. - I had to smile, though, totally unexpected reply, ha.

I'd honestly like an Urban Reign 2, it's one of the few multiplayer 3D BEU's that properly felt legit. It and Spikeout...

delSai

I actually like moustache Robert and Benimarus redesign is cool too.
And with Benimaru i have my first "main". Yay.

TreIII

I can guess Robert rocking a goatee may mean the rest of Ryuuko bunch may be in line to get new looks. Hopefully, that means Yuri will also be looking and acting something closer to her age.

Wonko_C

People go waaay overboard comparing it even to the PSP and generation-6 consoles, LOL. Sure it's no way pushing the PS4 but looking close at Kyo's clothes you can see some detailed cloth textures, specular highlights, self-shadowning, normal mapping and a high number of polygons per character. It's the art style that's throwing people off: they look like anime action figures.
QxjsIuG.jpg

The best looking psp fighting game doesn't come close, even when upresed to 1080p.
nlQ9Ng0.jpg

Man i just want a good game. We all know snks story by now(no we dont im sure some just see the graphics,laugh it off than leave the thread). Im a sucker for a good "comeback" story, if they can nail balance,game play,variety in characters I'll be a happy camper. Than hopefully its successful and we can see them get better and work on more a as time goes on.

They should have just hired that Chinese company that made the fighter that Terry & Benimaru starred in to do this...that game still looks way better than this.

Tizoc

I can guess Robert rocking a goatee may mean the rest of Ryuuko bunch may be in line to get new looks. Hopefully, that means Yuri will also be looking and acting something closer to her age.

fOR Some reason an older Yuri doesn't sound as interesting as an aged Sakura.
I guess it's because of Yuri's tomboy attitude that it feels weird to see her all mature and older XP

krakov

I would rather have recycled neo geo sprites than these awful 3D models tbh. Worst looking KOF by a landslide, maximum impact not included I guess, though it probably looked better for it's time.

BadWolf

I actually like moustache Robert and Benimarus redesign is cool too.
And with Benimaru i have my first "main". Yay.

Really liking this Beni design, probably my fave in the series.

The tank tops won't be missed.

That also probably means that Ryo won't be rocking his goatee NGBC look with the white hair, oh well.

Ryo needs a refresh bad though so I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with him.

Subaru

Wow, Benimaru looks really cool!
I don't know about this new Robert, he seems ugly... K' looks OK I guess.

Can't wait to play!

Tizoc

Robert with moustaches?!?!? I dunno if i can deal with it lol.

Graphics are good enough for me but imo it would do wonders passing to cel shading, look at these:
5lTPC7s.png

cHYWiJk.png

and now imagine cel shading applied to kofxiv

See this si what the game needs IMO, shaders similar to this. One can expect the PC release to be modded using such methods.

TreIII

I guess it's because of Yuri's tomboy attitude that it feels weird to see her all mature and older XP

I think it's been time, though. After all, we've seen Ryo and Robert sporting more mature looks off and on, but Yuri's more embellished/childish character and design would always look so odd next to them. It was annoying in one respect, and borderline creepy if you consider that she and Robert are supposed to be an "item".

It'll only get worse if Robert looks the way he does now, but Yuri doesn't look or act much older than Kula does! All the more why she's due for a new look!

That also probably means that Ryo won't be rocking his goatee NGBC look with the white hair, oh well.

Ryo needs a refresh bad though so I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with him.

It may not be the B1-inspired look, but I do think he is due for an update, too. I just wonder what they could do with him, since his design probably won't be as "fashion-conscious" as Robert's.

jett

D-Member
It really needs better shaders, just to hide the simplicity of the models, just something gives it a bit more oomph. Honestly, I think they bit off more than they can chew with their decision to have 50 characters.

Kientin

I can tolerate the graphics at this point. Bring on some great gameplay and I'm sold. I love Benimaru's look and his new super haha. The move is short, but I'm feeling that impact.

Momentary

Banned
Yeah. Something needs to be done with the shaders. I'm excited to play the game, but it looks pretty bland compared to other current and forthcoming offerings.

Really liking this Beni design, probably my fave in the series.

The tank tops won't be missed.

Wait what !? your back from the grave?
I thought we weren't going to have more KOF/SNK post around here.

Loona

K' looks like K'. Benimaru doesn't really look like Benimaru.

I'd say Benimaru looks more like himself than he ever has - he's finally drifting significantly from his original Polnareff inspirations.

WHEN'S MAI

Probably when everyone else looks decent enough that people stop complaining - after the reactions to her absence in XII, SNK will probably be very careful about using her as a trump card.

Hopefully Robert's refresh means that Ryo and Yuri got one as well.

A renewed design for a classic like Robert seems like a good sign for Ryo (after the insistence on old-school looks for XII and XIII), that needs it more than most (too much orange most of the times) - I hope they use the Wild Ambition look, or close enough to that.

She's been depicted as more of an adult in this illustration for Garou:

Not to mention that despite her childish body language in KoF (playing to the crowd?) in the team backstories for a lot of the games she comes off as quite shrewd, running circles around the men in her family in order to try and get her way (usually into the tournaments).

Tizoc

I'd say Benimaru looks more like himself than he ever has - he's finally drifting significantly from his original Polnareff inspirations.

Probably when everyone else looks decent enough that people stop complaining - after the reactions to her absence in XII, SNK will probably be very careful about using her as a trump card.

A renewed design for a classic like Robert seems like a good sign for Ryo (after the insistence on old-school looks for XII and XIII), that needs it more than most (too much orange most of the times) - I use they use the Wild Ambition look, or close enough to that.

She's been depicted as more of an adult in this illustration for Garou:

Not to mention that despite her childish body language in KoF (playing to the crowd?) in the team backstories for a lot of the games she comes off as quite shrewd, running circles around the men in her family in order to try and get her way (usually into the tournaments).

Well in that case I don't mind that Yuri.

BadWolf

Wait what !? your back from the grave?
I thought we weren't going to have more KOF/SNK post around here.

Hey if Vice and Mature can come back as ghosts then my return should be nothing :p

A renewed design for a classic like Robert seems like a good sign for Ryo (after the insistence on old-school looks for XII and XIII), that needs it more than most (too much orange most of the times) - I use they use the Wild Ambition look, or close enough to that.

That is the look I had been hoping they would use since forever but I don't think it's really an option anymore since Ken aped it in SFV.

Karsha

Ryo might get his Buriki one/NGBC look. As for the graphics my theory is that the clips they show are from an older build where they have all the characters ready and right now they are working on polishing the game more. I might be wrong and this is the final product but still I wouldn't mind, bad looking KOF is better than no KOF at all.

Loona

That is the look I had been hoping they would use since forever but I don't think it's really an option anymore since Ken aped it in SFV.

Ryo takes precedence, and was bearded hot Ryo before there was a "Hot Ryu".
It's still an option, especially since Ryo's never the focus of KoF anyway, he can and should get away with it, he has all the right to.

BadWolf

The SRK article contains a couple of screen shots of K' and Robert that are not from the trailer.

It's still an option, especially since Ryo's never the focus of KoF anyway, he can and should get away with it, he has all the right to.

True but I've always really liked the character and would rather they do him justice with something fresh instead of being a "me too". The dude has had that design well over a decade ago but that's not relevant to today's crowd, they will just think Ken when they see him.

Robert has had quite a few design refreshes in KOF but Ryo has pretty much always worn the same threads in the series. I hope SNK does something new for him and Yuri in XIV.

Game just looks better and better. Robert's looking a little rough but I dig the mustache.

It'd be funny to see "Mr. Karate" only to see some unknowing people go "OMG! They copied Capcom's Hot Ryu!"

masq

Neo Member
dont care for the bland and lifeless arena / stages.
Hopefully they fix this.

would prefer sprites, but I guess thats too much to ask
=/

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Say what you want about the graphics, but SNK has absolutely nailed the 2D -> 3D transition in terms of attacks having 1:1 frames to previous iterations. Old timers will feel right at home, just like when Xrd made the 3D jump. :)

Absolutely, this is the first thing that jumps out to me. If it ever comes to PC, maybe some mods would help the visuals.

Top Bottom