• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Man, some of these damage nerfs are huge. Mature's EX despair does like no damage now. Love Heart took a huge hit in her output too.

It's still very safe on block and invincible so the damage nerf makes sense. Either one or the other had to go.

Right! I'm not complaining, i think it's very fair. Anchor Mature can still do the EX despair spam.. it just won't really kill you all that much.

Just kinda surprised at how big some of these changes are. This patch is pretty serious.

BadWolf

Mamahaha has changed [KOF XIV 1.03 update]

What K' had before, especially that Narrow Spike and the damage he could do after it, was nothing short of dumb.

He has been brought down to earth but is far from useless, still has great damage output too. Definitely feels stronger than his XIII console version.

Beni might be a problem but to be fair SCR is the first big tournament where he got used that much in the top 8 and by that point SNK had already submitted the patch for approval lol. On the bright side he is still far weaker than his XIII version and has no invincible reversal outside of an EX super.

His j.D and s.D are damn strong but that's tradition at this point.

Love Heart too got hit but she should still be viable.

Mature's EX despair does like no damage now.

It's still very safe on block and invincible so the damage nerf makes sense. Either one or the other had to go.

BadWolf

Wait, on the changelog Sylvie's description for her QCF QCF+K (EX version) super also says the same thing as the one for Clark's EX tackle.

Guess that super of her's is also anywhere juggle now?

That would mean that:

Ex punch super = OTG
EX kick super = anywhere juggle

Yup, actually looking forward to trying her now.

Holy crap, this is big.

It's going to help his punish game since even sweep -> activate -> EX Mount Tackle works from about max range. Also EX Gatling -> A Gatling -> EX Mount Tackle is a thing too now.

Wait, on the changelog Sylvie's description for her QCF QCF+K (EX version) super also says the same thing as the one for Clark's EX tackle.

Yeah, same thing.

BadWolf

It's going to help his punish game since even sweep -> activate -> EX Mount Tackle works from about max range. Also EX Gatling -> A Gatling -> EX Mount Tackle is a thing too now.

Excellent, he should also be able to activate after anti-airing with a normal and then getting the anywhere juggle, ala Vice and her EX sleeve.

Just this one change and he has become so much more interesting lol.

Tornix

I'm really liking Angel's changes. Qcb+C having no push back on block is pretty interesting for high/low/unblockable setups and far B can hit crouchers now which she needed. Also having neck cutter work on crouching again is awesome.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DangitDarnitArghCrap they had to mess with my Leona hop C. ARGH. Make it slower, and make it's hitbox worse. :( :( :( D Grand Saber being more punishable is also kinda regrettable, but EX V Slasher getting back proper Invuln and working out of back hops is a trade I'll take for that. But man, finally had a solid cross-up hop, and they had to get rid of it. :( :( :(

*ahem* Everything else I can pretty much live with, so far.

They did good! Thanks for posting the link, too. Tizoc, we should probably add this to the OP, btw.

What the changelog means is that Clark's EX Mount Tackle has the anywhere juggle property now. Just tried cancelling into it from sweep, it connects.

This is definitely a cool change. He still can't really cancel out of mount's derived moves, though, so it's a nice, damaging confirm with no extension options...

BTW, how do you feel about Nako's Cling changes? Been play BBCF lately, and Naoto has a spot-dodge move that makes me think about Shermie and B.Mary's old dodges, and the first thing it made me think of beyond that was Mamahaha Cling. I like that it still seems useful, but isn't crazy braindead now.

That would mean that:

Ex punch super = OTG
EX kick super = anywhere juggle

Sylvie's properties are now as quirky as she is. QCFx2+K still has semi-short range at times, so it's not the easiest confirm to land at every range, but yeah, giving her this option should be very strong when she's hop CD spamming and approaching the corner.

Being able to properly end block strings with specials, and to have pop-up to make her qcb+p more of a full tool, rather than a risky anti-jump oddity / combo extension is great. Better changes than I'd have imagined them giving her, but great ones that help make her even more fun. She still heavily depends on in-close weak normals to get her stuff going, but now actually landing them is a much more potentially rewarding experience, and much less meter-dependent. Very smart changes to me, so far.

Ramon being able to chain off cr.LK is going to be a legit game changer for him. Also st.CD -> feint -> cr.C causes re-stand now due to cr.C being faster.
Clark's C Gatling can be followed up by cr.A/st.A./cr.D due to the shortened recovery.

BTW, how do you feel about Nako's Cling changes? Been play BBCF lately, and Naoto has a spot-dodge move that makes me think about Shermie and B.Mary's old dodges, and the first thing it made me think of beyond that was Mamahaha Cling. I like that it still seems useful, but isn't crazy braindead now.

I still think it's dumb that she's allowed to get out of pressure for no meter without risking a full punish even when read but at least it's toned down and so is the rest of her stuff so she shouldn't invalidate as much of the cast now. I feel like pre-patch K' was stronger but Nak was the one that caused more characters to be set aside.

BadWolf

Xanadu anti-fireball buffs

I'm really liking Angel's changes. Qcb+C having no push back on block is pretty interesting for high/low/unblockable setups and far B can hit crouchers now which she needed. Also having neck cutter work on crouching again is awesome.

Yeah those are really solid changes, can't wait to try her out in matches.

Here's hoping the adjustments to the buffer window result in not getting an accidental command dash instead of her back, forward+K move. Happened to me often pre-patch.

Sylvie's properties are now as quirky as she is. QCFx2+K still has semi-short range at times, so it's not the easiest confirm to land at every range, but yeah, giving her this option should be very strong when she's hop CD spamming and approaching the corner.

Being able to properly end block strings with specials, and to have pop-up to make her qcb+p more of a full tool, rather than a risky anti-jump oddity / combo extension is great. Better changes than I'd have imagined them giving her, but great ones that help make her even more fun. She still heavily depends on in-close weak normals to get her stuff going, but now actually landing them is a much more potentially rewarding experience, and much less meter-dependent. Very smart changes to me, so far.

They did a seriously great job buffing her, Nelson as well. Don't know if we'll be seeing more of them in competitive play but I'll be using them more for sure.

Amedo310

It more like SNK fixed the clap's reaction to psycho ball. Xanadu could not clap it in 1.02 for some reason. The lower hitboxes to cr. B might be a buff or it could be the universal nerf to fireballs.

BadWolf

Yo that EX Ralf Real Impact buff:

https://twitter.com/JeF_MAXIMA/status/788620876472315906
https://twitter.com/JeF_MAXIMA/status/788624500027977728

He can do 70% damage for 2 bars now lol.

It more like SNK fixed the clap's reaction to psycho ball. Xanadu could not clap it in 1.02 for some reason. The lower hitboxes to cr. B might be a buff or it could be the universal nerf to fireballs.

The lower hit box for his cr. B is mentioned in the patch notes as a buff.

Manbig

Hein already had a solid pressure game mixing up qcb+P into his block strings, but now that his hop command grab is a legitimate threat, and he gets solid oki off of it, his pressure is quite nasty. He now has much more ability to force people to respond at the end of his block strings, which opens up his offense a ton.

GrayFoxPL

When your character got buffed and your opponents nerfed:

MoVod23.gif

kunonabi

Andy nerf's are a non-factor for me

Leona's changes make her closer to how I used to play her so I don't mind her changes too much.

Daimon's damage nerfs are awful and his EX Jiraishin buff doesn't actually help his combo options at all aside from getting a more damaging 2 stock combo. All his other options do less now. I was really hoping they were going to address his issues but I guess they're still punishing him for 98.

Geese's changes are fine, Clark's changes are good and I'm very happy with Ramon and Angel's buffs.

I'll probably drop Mature even though I totally agree with her changes.

All in all I didn't fair too badly but I'm probably going to have rethink my Andy/Goro/Leona team and possibly just drop Goro altogether.

lol I just realized that the button mattered for Alice's rekkas even after the initial hit, you go into qcb+A for it to connect from lights but after that if you use C you do get more damage.

Probably not new but I was trying out confirms off cr.B (since you can special cancel that now) when I noticed this.

Leona's HK Grand Saber was +1 or +2 on block, now it's even (like it was in 13).

That's fine. Just cant really use that as a get-in tool as much. EX is still plus.

How much have the inputs been changed? I"m dropping combos that I used to be able to nail 100% without thinking. I fixed this by doing a dpad and move to analog stick for the last part. It mainly messes up on stuff that requires half circles or vice's half circle up down super in the air.

Manbig

All these unwarranted King nerfs
mjcry1.png

It's honestly not that bad for her. The biggest hit that I noticed on Juicebox's stream is that her spaced out corner pressure can't just be fireball and far D all day long now, but she still has great options like far C and slide is still damn good even after the nerf.

Manbig

Is Love Heart's sword swipe special safe on block? Does she have good AA options?

Her air C+D is a great AA.

KOF is kinda weird in regards to ground to air AA normals. You have to remember that there are various jump arcs to deal with, so a lot of characters opt to go air to air, or just space out by using your various movement options to position yourself to better punish jump ins.

BadWolf

BadWolf

It seems SNK held a tournament at Akihabara's e-sports square today, Oda and Ichiki were present.

Gato ray has uploaded the Top 8 (single elimination)

The players were required to use only full default teams.

There's a lot to take in there. Were some of these changes undocumented in the notes?

There are people saying that there are some undocumented changes but I'm pretty sure most/all of the changes in those two vids at least are in line with the patch notes.

Manbig

Watching Juicebox right now. He was doing some Hein training mode and that buff to Knight is a real gamechanger for him. Apparently the EX version of it also goes through projectiles. Juice even beat out Raising Storm clean with it. I also learned that EX Rook is also projectile invincible. Been playing this whole time not realizing that lol.

The scariest thing about all of this is that he gets the same vortex style set ups off of both lvl 1 super and Knight, so you have A LOT to think about while Hein is pressuring you.

Chase17

How is online in the game? I know it was a concern during the lead up to the game's release. Had been interested in the game but it came out the same day I went back to uni so it fell to the wayside.

Anyways, have never played a KOF game before and am thinking about picking this up now.

Top Bottom