• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

It doesn't help that region lock (unless the patch changed it) gives every European country as far as I can tell its own region; Guilty Gear does it too but only for the lobby system. Doing EU West/East seems like it would be a lot more productive.

that's why region filters are crap. kills entire online communities. i shake my head when people ask for them. you should ask for proper connection filters instead. west/east is bad too. you can cut off your neighbour that way too.

This is basically SNK and Aksys in a nutshell. Just replace Blazblue with KOF 14 and Guilty Gear is KOF 98

14731198_1833939336892604_8792249589206592069_n.jpg

sinkfla87

Thank you guys for the advice. I hope I can get on today and if anyone I see here is online you may see a fight request from SinkFla:). I'm getting better with Kyo and Leona but need a damn third character already. Oh and on the topic of region filters, I started jumping into other regional rooms and managed to have a few non laggy matches yesterday. Strangely though I can't get a ranked match going to save my life. I set it to all regions, all connection speeds, etc to find the broadest result but still can't find a ranked match :(.

Hyun Sai

that's why region filters are crap. kills entire online communities. i shake my head when people ask for them. you should ask for proper connection filters instead. west/east is bad too. you can cut off your neighbour that way too.

Yeah, as soon as I saw the change in effect I knew the game was fucked. You don't put even more restrictive region filter in a niche game of a niche genre.

They did a good job on the game's netcode, too bad that stupid mistake will kill it.

Depressing.

Man, I'm really digging the change to Chang's spinning ball. Being able to piano the inputs between A and C makes the move so much better.

I think he's in a good spot right now, though many folks will still consider him to be bottom tier. If there's any other changes that I think he should perhaps get, is that his iron ball normals get a damage increase of 10 points(making them deal just 10 more damage then any other character's heavy and blowback normals). I think this way, Chang would be a solid lead, where instead of relying on big MAX mode combos, he'll be a mid range bully and build up meter.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just got a 1.04 patch download. Notes say "Online connection functions improved" and "Some text-related issues have been fixed."

BadWolf

Via reddit, character usage at Canada Cup top 8 (first major tournament since the patch):

4 Ioris
3 Benimarus
2 Roberts
2 K's
2 Nakorurus
2 Matures
2 Kyos
2 Kulas
2 Leonas
1 Love
1 Athena
1 King
1 Hein
1 King of Dinosaurs
1 Chin
1 Luong

Three players have now qualified for the KOFXIV championship:

Xiaohai (SEAM)
Reynald (SCR)
Dakou (CanCup)

Xiaohai's Luong is seriously nuts.

Ah fuck I got to the finals and lost on the last match. I sent him to losers and he reset the brackets and beat me.

Congrats on making it to the finals, good stuff.

SNK on point with the quick fixes again, good to see them address the various oversights that people found for characters in the previous patch.

sephi22

Has the new patch made the netcode worse? I haven't played the game in weeks but was planning to. Can someone confirm true or bullshit?

Edit: Or maybe it's referring to the last patch in September? Did anything change with the online after the first patch that fixed it and made it great?

Has the new patch made the netcode worse? I haven't played the game in weeks but was planning to. Can someone confirm true or bullshit?

Edit: Or maybe it's referring to the last patch in September? Did anything change with the online after the first patch that fixed it and made it great?

Latest patch significantly improved the ability to actually connect to get matches with randoms as long as they're also looking for matches in all regions. Region filters are still too restrictive so people really shouldn't region lock their own lobbies because the way it works now is limiting them to people whose PSN account country is the same as theirs.

BadWolf

Classic Iori Custome is spotted: https://twitter.com/ttox_x/status/794501156949098496

Only for Chinese deluxe copies at the moment that apparently comes out this month.

Tbh I expected exactly him to be next when they said they would be making more DLC costumes.

With the obvious choice out of the way, wonder who is next.

Not likely since he always gets shafted but fingers crossed for Ryo.

Also, can anyone hook me up with some Xiahoai Luong goodness?

CanCup Grand Final Xiaohai vs Dakou
Dakou vs. Xiaohai FT10

Guys any word on pc version?

Much like any Aksys or pc port in general. You get to wait for a while. How long? A few months? A year? Right before the next version? Who knows? I'm just hoping this time there's cross play allowed to keep the base going. KOF isn't a huge base and any boost that will keep the numbers stable is good for us.

BadWolf

No idea who he is but I caught a random stream and some Chinese player had FT5s against Dakou and Xiaohai, and he wiped the floor with both of them.

He was using Kula/Love/Luong/Mai and he easily has the best Luong and Love I've seen yet.

The mirror matches between his Luong and Xiaohai's were seriously nuts.

He beat Dakou 5-0.

He beat Xiaohai 5-1. They had a second FT5 right after and Xiaohai lost again. Dakou was losing it on the mic lol.

I'm working on collecting frame data for the entire cast in version 1.03 and up. Here's where all of my data is located:

Image Format: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2WAxkcvfTKdb3J2WXJ2djJGYWs

Word Document Format: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2WAxkcvfTKdbTF5akxrV1RjNHc

Done eight characters so far.

Geese, Billy, Ryo, Daimon, Benimaru, King, Kim, Verse.

Awesome, thanks so much.

No idea who he is but I caught a random stream and some Chinese player had FT5s against Dakou and Xiaohai, and he wiped the floor with both of them.

He was using Kula/Love/Luong/Mai and he easily has the best Luong and Love I've seen yet.

The mirror matches between his Luong and Xiaohai's were seriously nuts.

He beat Dakou 5-0.

He beat Xiaohai 5-1. They had a second FT5 right after and Xiaohai lost again. Dakou was losing it on the mic lol.

Awesome, thanks so much.

was this on DouYu, Panda or HuoMao?

BadWolf

Is that Kim frame data accurate?

His EX ground ranbu is 4 frames, his Climax is also 4 frames and his air ranbu (EX and regular) is 3 frames start up now? Wut?

was this on DouYu, Panda or HuoMao?

Panda I think, was a link someone posted in another stream's chat.

Amedo310

Is that Kim frame data accurate?

His EX ground ranbu is 4 frames, his Climax is also 4 frames and his air ranbu (EX and regular) is 3 frames start up now? Wut?

̶Y̶e̶s̶.̶

I was wrong. Thanks. I went back and made corrections to all the dm and climaxes for the ones I did so far. I was off by a frame.

stn

Is -4 on block considered safe in KOF? What's the fastest normal? Thanks!

EDIT: Although I suck at KOF and will probably never understand it, the awesome roster keeps me coming back. Great game, enjoying it much more than 13.

BadWolf

̶Y̶e̶s̶.̶

I was wrong. Thanks. I went back and made corrections to all the dm and climaxes for the ones I did so far. I was off by a frame.

Thanks for re-testing, much appreciated.

Also thanks for adding the Meitenkun data :)

Is -4 on block considered safe in KOF? What's the fastest normal? Thanks!

EDIT: Although I suck at KOF and will probably never understand it, the awesome roster keeps me coming back. Great game, enjoying it much more than 13.

The fastest normals are 3 frames, not many characters have them in XIV.

-4 is safe generally speaking unless you end up point blank in front of your opponent.

And yeah, can't get enough of this roster. Finding it really hard to focus on 'mains', having too much fun messing with everyone.

shaowebb

Really diggin Love Heart/Mian/Kukri as a team right now. Any notable players of any of these right now? Trying to anchor Kukri for the max mode teleports and his supers. If not I flip him and Love Heart and use Kukri's ports and zoning to battery and fuel the other two. My backups are K' and Andy since I use to play both hard in other games.

Bala just won Games Celebration against Violent Kain with Alice/Leona/Kim. Interesting matches, check out the archive once the stream is done (they still have SFV to stream): https://www.twitch.tv/gamescelebration

Really diggin Love Heart/Mian/Kukri as a team right now. Any notable players of any of these right now? Trying to anchor Kukri for the max mode teleports and his supers. If not I flip him and Love Heart and use Kukri's ports and zoning to battery and fuel the other two. My backups are K' and Andy since I use to play both hard in other games.

are you actually Luis Cha

Seriously though I once saw Juicebox play a really good Kukri player on his stream for quite a while but I can't remember the guy's name.

shaowebb

Bala just won Games Celebration against Violent Kain with Alice/Leona/Kim. Interesting matches, check out the archive once the stream is done (they still have SFV to stream): https://www.twitch.tv/gamescelebration

are you actually Luis Cha

Seriously though I once saw Juicebox play a really good Kukri player on his stream for quite a while but I can't remember the guy's name.

K' and Andy are just always good all around dudes I can place on any team. Same goes for Kyo or Iori but Andy and K' are the two I feel tightest with. So much mobility and corner carry with K' and Andy is the same in how he runs in about any matchup...check with fireballs, run in or elbow in. If elbow hits, go into the kick and then AA and repeat. He's a good battery or second. K' is my good anywhere guy. If I grow bored of anyone on the planned trio of new folks I'll likely see them show up. I was rocking Mui Mui but I'm just finding others who I'm finding more exciting even though I love her rekkas, and super.

Kukri I hoped prelaunch I could get into and he's finally starting to click for me. Mian too. Love Heart was a surprise bro so I'm rockin em all for now.

BadWolf

Kukri: Lacid (there are compilations of him on YT, very impressive)

Mian: Reynald (most successful Mian in tournament)

Love Heart: Luo Xiaohu (owned Xiaohai)

He OCV'd Violent Kain with Alice O_O

Spuck-uk

Banned
This guy put Chun at 26 in his SF character ranking, dude is probably a salty 3s/SFV player.
Though he got KoF's list right with Leona being the series best female character in both design and backstory.

3s/SFV/Alpha Series as well. Chun has been top tier in more games than she hasn't

Loona

Some placements are questionable but it is an entertaining read from beginning to end

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/k...7/king-of-fighters-ranking-all-the-characters

Clickbaity as hell, and putting Malin above May Lee (among other very very odd placements) is downright heretical, but the guy clearly knows his KoF lore, so I can't hold the effort against him, not to mention he mentions Chizuru by the time the character descriptions are mostly praise.

Also, in the Elisabeth description it pointed me to a nice Astro City story I didn't know was free on ComiXology, so there's that too.

Need help, Ive been trying to figure out how to use max super with Ryo after max qcb-lk/hk but im not sure if its possible. besides that any other tips on what to do with Ryo?

Top Bottom