• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't ever donated to a KS/IndieGoGo etc but wouldn't hesitate to put money down for Zero and Ao. I have zero idea how likely or realistic that option is though. It's something I'd definitely like to learn more about from XSEED.

XSEED has said they won't use crowdfunding for localization projects because it looks unprofessional to their business partners and they don't want the possibility of taking people's money and then having something happen that causes the project to fall through.

Acid08

Banned
XSEED has said they won't use crowdfunding for localization projects because it looks unprofessional to their business partners and they don't want the possibility of taking people's money and then having something happen that causes the project to fall through.

Makes sense, can definitely see their perspective.

Still, it's a bummer. Crowdfunding isn't a guaranteed thing but it can be a useful tool to use. I'd also just be curious to see what kind of funding goal they'd set. Just how much does it take to get one of these games finished.

Psxphile

Does the movement feel any better in CS2? I've put about 5 hours into the first game and just walking around feels really sluggish.

Absolutely. Rean (or whoever you have in the lead) no longer slows down just to do a 90 degree turn. Walking and running speed is still the same, but the sluggish-ness of CS1 is gone. Hoping Sara can find a way to backport it to CS1 PC.

You'll have to get used to the new attack animations when traversing the overworld, however. Timing is a little different.

I like the improved agility, character animations, and different field attacks in CS II, plus all the little things which show how much more polish Falcom was able to give the engine after a year (like fade-in transitions for the calendar). Now that I'm near the end of Act 1, it's pretty apparent there's better load times for battle scenes and crossing between areas. Still need to read up on discussion in the original CS OT before I peruse the sequel's.

Squire

Banned
I choose to believe Zero and Ao will make it over officially, somehow someway.

That said, I also greatly appreciate the effort the Esterior team is putting in.

c1d

Gu4n, I hope you guys know that for every person that complains, there are 100 more that appreciate what you guys do for the series fan-base - this goes far beyond the Zero translation project.

It does seem somewhat strange that flamethrower and the previous team thought they would have it finished early this year though, and you guys are saying that it is still months (if not years) away. Has there been any consideration to release the patch in stages e.g. stage 1 - menus/equipment/quartz, stage 2 - main story line, stage 3 - side-quests etc.

Note to those waiting for an official release - unless XSeed started translating Zero as soon as they finished with the 3rd (they seem to contract the translation and then do the edit in-house), don't expect to see a release until at least mid 2020. A rough timeline of this would be:
Sep 2017 - Sep 2018 - translation of Cold Steel 3
Sep 2018 - Sep 2019 - translation of Zero
Sep 2019 - Mar 2020 - editing of Zero
Mar 2020 - Jun 2020 - QA/release of Zero

Blue Stream

Neo Member
DBjMwXoV0AQbXql.jpg

Next spoiled character looks like Shirley Orlando to me.

DBjMwXoV0AQbXql.jpg

Next spoiled character looks like Shirley Orlando to me.

It seems you're right
There is a scan showing
Shirley, Arianrhod and Duvalie.
Also, from 2chan:
>[2ch] Shirley operates as both a Red Constellation battalion commander and Enforcer in Erebonia, looks forward to meet Randolph
>[2ch] Leading the Stahlritter, Arianrhod has come to Erebonia to retrieve the Phantasmal Blaze Plan. True identity will be revealed
>[2ch] More Ouroboros incoming: Campanella has infiltrated Erebonia and McBurn is also present (reluctantly), looking forward to Rean

preta

It seems you're right
There is a scan showing
Shirley, Arianrhod and Duvalie.
Also, from 2chan:
>[2ch] Shirley operates as both a Red Constellation battalion commander and Enforcer in Erebonia, looks forward to meet Randolph
>[2ch] Leading the Stahlritter, Arianrhod has come to Erebonia to retrieve the Phantasmal Blaze Plan. True identity will be revealed
>[2ch] More Ouroboros incoming: Campanella has infiltrated Erebonia and McBurn is also present (reluctantly), looking forward to Rean

Not just
Duvalie
, but
Ennea and Ines
too.

Nyoro SF

These biweekly CS3 info drops are going to drive me insane with expectation.

Shirley is a not that major of a Crossbell spoiler, in regards to her identity, so I don't think people should be very alarmed.

I hope they clarify exactly what happened with the three major matchups near the end of CS2 and don't just leave the explanation hanging, but I suppose I won't hold my breath on that one.

Aters

If Ennea and Ines are half as good as Duvalie, the game is already worth $60. Please don't screw up everyone's favorite character in CS Falcom.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Man the stuff we're getting is unbelievably hype.
Feels similar to when Marvel does it's movie verse blowout events just way more pronounced given the stronger interconnected nature just by being games and thus having more content to them.

Theswweet

Holy crap what? The dude that said he translated Ao no Kiseki's main scenario for his girlfriend wasn't bluffing! There's a complete translation in spreadsheet form for Ao no Kiseki's translation now... albeit without sidequests, but still!

These biweekly CS3 info drops are going to drive me insane with expectation.

Shirley is a not that major of a Crossbell spoiler, in regards to her identity, so I don't think people should be very alarmed.

I hope they clarify exactly what happened with the three major matchups near the end of CS2 and don't just leave the explanation hanging, but I suppose I won't hold my breath on that one.

I'm guessing Shirley is [CSII]
the Red Constellation girl who played with Fie in her story?

Also, what matchups do you mean?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding Rean's, Laura's and Alisa's sen3 outfits.
They look pretty similar. It's not class 7 partner look given that fie opted for something different but it might hint at another connection. Or people just shop at the same place. Like how a lot of the bracers bought the same ugly shoulder pad in different colors.

Gu4n

Don't know how much it's worth but I'm really grateful for the work you're doing. I'm pretty new to the series, only got into it with CS1/2 last year, but at this point I'm very invested. XSEED seemed to struggle with them even when working full time so for fans on a limited time schedule to even hope to tackle these games, while trying to maintain the quality we've come to expect, is incredible. I sincerely hope you're all able to move at the pace you want to(and is healthy, honestly) to get the translation done to the point where you're all happy with it! As it seems pretty unlikely Zero/Ao will be brought over here officially it's definitely reassuring to know people who care are working on this.

I haven't ever donated to a KS/IndieGoGo etc but wouldn't hesitate to put money down for Zero and Ao. I have zero idea how likely or realistic that option is though. It's something I'd definitely like to learn more about from XSEED.
The only and therefore best way to let XSEED know you want more Trails games is by buying extra copies of the games. Either for friends or just as give-aways. They make great birthday presents. ;)

It does seem somewhat strange that flamethrower and the previous team thought they would have it finished early this year though, and you guys are saying that it is still months (if not years) away. Has there been any consideration to release the patch in stages e.g. stage 1 - menus/equipment/quartz, stage 2 - main story line, stage 3 - side-quests etc.
The version of the script that has been distributed since last week is an older version of the script we starting with. You see, sheets used for the fan translation were originally publicly available until May 2015, after which the team's work continued until December 2016. We started working with the December 2016 version, which already had the now-infamous *flap flap* corrected.

Regarding your other question: the team that so diligently translated the game were planning to release their script largely unedited because their project lead/editor had left on Christmas Eve last year. We decided to approach them to do the editing in stead of the original project lead. Chances are fair they would've reject our offer, but they happily handed us the latest version of the script while they continued work on Ao.

Their progress on Ao's translation is past the 30% mark right now, by the way. The translator (Guren) who worked on Zero is now working on Ao. Before he started working on it, I worked with another translator on the prologue of Ao.

Regarding the final question: we have no plans to release the script in stages. The only reason for that is that the script is non-linear. To give you an idea: the game files that involve text are split in scenario (text you see in dialogue boxes) and text (pretty much anything in menu's and the notebook). The scenario is split in multiple files per area: Crossbell City in one file, the various dungeons in another file. Within the Crossbell City Excel file, districts of the city are split in tabs. Each district has multiple tabs for the 'rooms', like one for the outside and one for each seperate room/store in that district. And the tabs for the outside 'room', is split into day-time, night-time and a special (Zero spoiler:
Anniversary Festival
). I myself am working on the Crossbell City sheet, Floofy started on the other side -- on the monster notebook with its painfully strict length limitations.

If Ennea and Ines are half as good as Duvalie, the game is already worth $60. Please don't screw up everyone's favorite character in CS Falcom.
Ennea is constantly making fun of Duvalie's childishness, so that will be highly worthwhile.

Holy crap what? The dude that said he translated Ao no Kiseki's main scenario for his girlfriend wasn't bluffing! There's a complete translation in spreadsheet form for Ao no Kiseki's translation now... albeit without sidequests, but still!
That's really awe-inspiring. To cite a certain bard, love is eternal. <3

Nyoro SF

I'm guessing Shirley is [CSII]
the Red Constellation girl who played with Fie in her story?

Also, what matchups do you mean?

Your spoiler is correct. Just her identity alone isn't really a big spoiler, but in regards to Ao, what she did and what happened to her is.

As for matchups (CS2)
I was talking about the three major fights happening between the baddies on the way up the Infernal Castle. It seems strange that the end of CS2 didn't tell us what happened to the fights; whether everyone just fled, or if they fought to a draw.

Judging by the recent Dengeki information it looks like Falcom intends to answer that question in CS3 so that's a relief.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the Ao translation is successful, of good quality, and retains consistency with the official localizations.

That's a lot to ask for though.

c1d

The version of the script that has been distributed since last week is an older version of the script we starting with. You see, sheets used for the fan translation were originally publicly available until May 2015, after which the team's work continued until December 2016. We started working with the December 2016 version, which already had the now-infamous *flap flap* corrected.

Regarding your other question: the team that so diligently translated the game were planning to release their script largely unedited because their project lead/editor had left on Christmas Eve last year. We decided to approach them to do the editing in stead of the original project lead. Chances are fair they would've reject our offer, but they happily handed us the latest version of the script while they continued work on Ao.

Their progress on Ao's translation is past the 30% mark right now, by the way. The translator (Guren) who worked on Zero is now working on Ao. Before he started working on it, I worked with another translator on the prologue of Ao.

Regarding the final question: we have no plans to release the script in stages. The only reason for that is that the script is non-linear. To give you an idea: the game files that involve text are split in scenario (text you see in dialogue boxes) and text (pretty much anything in menu's and the notebook). The scenario is split in multiple files per area: Crossbell City in one file, the various dungeons in another file. Within the Crossbell City Excel file, districts of the city are split in tabs. Each district has multiple tabs for the 'rooms', like one for the outside and one for each seperate room/store in that district. And the tabs for the outside 'room', is split into day-time, night-time and a special (Zero spoiler:
Anniversary Festival
). I myself am working on the Crossbell City sheet, Floofy started on the other side -- on the monster notebook with its painfully strict length limitations.
Ah I see. Thanks for the detailed response!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's not even complete. It's good enough for subbing all-cutscenes-only videos on Youtube, though.

I meant the eventual patch. I wouldn't bother watching it, or playing it with only a text reference. Neither of those are any fun.

The Zero patch should be fine though, I trust the folks involved with that.

God damn, just fought that baboon boss at the end of chapter 1 in CS. That thing took way too fucking long to beat, the battle was almost 2o minutes. Not that it was difficult, but it had way more health than it needed to. Please tell me bosses in this game aren't just damage sponges like this guy was, that would pretty much be enough to kill my motivation to keep going.

Aters

Your spoiler is correct. Just her identity alone isn't really a big spoiler, but in regards to Ao, what she did and what happened to her is.

As for matchups (CS2)
I was talking about the three major fights happening between the baddies on the way up the Infernal Castle. It seems strange that the end of CS2 didn't tell us what happened to the fights; whether everyone just fled, or if they fought to a draw.

Judging by the recent Dengeki information it looks like Falcom intends to answer that question in CS3 so that's a relief.

lol the trail in the sky Falcom would never forget that detail. CS2 writing is a mess.

Top Bottom