• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

lol the trail in the sky Falcom would never forget that detail. CS2 writing is a mess.

Eh, it never strikes me as something that's actually need to be shown. [CS2]
It's not like the matchups have such important history with each other. I just assume they fight until Testa-Rossa falls and just go their separate ways. Where would you put those scenes without bogging down the pacing, anyway.

Fou-Lu

The 3rd has a ridiculous amount of party members. The fact that I just finished chapter 3 and have
ten of them and know there are at least two more to come
is crazy. I also really love the presentation of this game, it's the first time in the series that the combat system has taken center stage for me.

Nyoro SF

Eh, it never strikes me as something that's actually need to be shown. [CS2]
It's not like the matchups have such important history with each other. I just assume they fight until Testa-Rossa falls and just go their separate ways. Where would you put those scenes without bogging down the pacing, anyway.

Not so much scenes, just text would have been fine, like Laura commenting that
her dad was fine and that the fight ended when the incident took place.

I dunno, it feels rather contrived to me to just specifically talk about it weeks after the fact. [CS2]
I mean, obviously all of the good guys are fine because they appear one way or the other, and we don't really need to know the fate of the bad guys in that same game. "Oh yeah they got away and this is how" feels like such a throwaway information better used as a bonus to some larger narrative in Star Door 14 of Trails of Cold Steel the 4th or something.

Well of course he did. Anyone at this point in CS2 should be pretty comfortable with the knowledge that this series isn't going to kill off characters offscreen and not talk about it.

PK Gaming

No offense to anyone, but i'm floored that people could actually construe Agate's relationship with Tita as anything but completely platonic

Unless something DRASTIC happens later, it's just completely outside of the realm of possibility

No offense to anyone, but i'm floored that people could actually construe Agate's relationship with Tita as anything but completely platonic

Unless something DRASTIC happens later, it's just completely outside of the realm of possibility

Agate's own attitude towards Tita is more brotherly than anything else, but most other people around them seem to interpret it as romantic. This is especially seen in 3rd.

I think you have to be as dense as Rean to see the Tita/Agate thing as strictly platonic. Tita is openly in love with Agate and the party constantly comments about it and encourages her. They're clearly being set up as a future romantic pairing.

I never had any apprehension about their relationship in Sky SC.

Acid08

Banned
Agate's own attitude towards Tita is more brotherly than anything else, but most other people around them seem to interpret it as romantic. This is especially seen in 3rd.

Sky does this a bunch. FC is a constant stream of people going "BET YOU'RE HORNY FOR JOSHUA HUH" to Estelle.

I never had any apprehension about their relationship in Sky SC.

At the point I'm at in SC, ch 7, she has referred to him as a brother in every important scene involving the two.

I'm not saying it's impossible that she develops a crush on him but I think people are being extraordinarily cynical if they think there's even a remote possibility that any romance actually plays out between them.

At the point I'm at in SC, ch 7, she has referred to him as a brother in every important scene involving the two.

I'm not saying it's impossible that she develops a crush on him but I think people are being extraordinarily cynical if they think there's even a remote possibility that any romance actually plays out between them.

Yea, like I said, my worries about their relationship does not start from Sky SC. My cynicism came from choice happenings in Sky the 3rd, bolstered by Falcom doing the hackneyed "I love my big brother" thing completely straight in Cold Steel.

Sky does this a bunch. FC is a constant stream of people going "BET YOU'RE HORNY FOR JOSHUA HUH" to Estelle.
I mean, it turns out Estelle actually is.

Yea, like I said, my worries about their relationship does not start from Sky SC. My cynicism came from choice happenings in Sky the 3rd, bolstered by Falcom doing the hackneyed "I love my brother" thing completely straight in Cold Steel.

Mmhmm. Considering how hard Trails has gone in the "let's current imitate popular LN trends" direction, and how even FC started with a nominally foster brother/sister relationship turned into a romantic one, it's easy to see Falcom pushing the Tita/Agate relationship into a full-blown romance in CS III.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, like I said, my worries about their relationship does not start from Sky SC. My cynicism came from choice happenings in Sky the 3rd, bolstered by Falcom doing the hackneyed "I love my brother" thing completely straight in Cold Steel.

I mean, Estelle actually is.

I got the impression in 3rd Tita developed a crush on Agate, but at no point did I feel like Agate reciprocated those feelings.

I guess with time that could change in CS3, I'm just referring to the Sky games.

PK Gaming

I think you have to be as dense as Rean to see the Tita/Agate thing as strictly platonic. Tita is openly in love with Agate and the party constantly comments about it and encourages her. They're clearly being set up as a future romantic pairing.

Oh come on. Constant encouragement? The game hammers a platonic relationship between the them, the vast majority of the time.

68FC02E31C547D237F91595D23080A5732AABA1A
A5B04EC2AA61C45FBD2C5782CD76AB6C67503995

8F8D89FD1285B54D29E18758CDC009CD927AF7A0
B9B03CA3316D4A1B08BD25753D21789D6D193C2B

Tita develops a crush on him sure, but it's very much treated as puppy love. And you can't even begin to make the argument that Agate would reciprocate that, because fuck that. This isn't CS or Zero. The tone of their relationship is blatantly kosher. It's in line with this game's comfy, "family friendly" vibe.

Granted I haven't played 3rd, but whatever, i'm strictly talking about FC/SC here.

I got the impression in 3rd Tita developed a crush on Agate, but at no point did I feel like Agate reciprocated those feelings.

I guess with time that could change in CS3, I'm just referring to the Sky games.

Honestly, I am not even worrying about if they'd go into a full blown romantic relationship. Yet. We'd cross that bridge when we get there.

The whole "prolonged one-way crush towards oblivious guy" thing is just kinda tiresome? It's already tiresome in CS, but Rean is just a dumb teenager. Agate is an adult and should know better and be more responsible. Heck, everyone around them should be more responsible. The crush still going on and Agate staying completely oblivious after four years is my worry.

Oh come on. Constant encouragement? The game hammers a platonic relationship between the them, the vast majority of the time.
Yea, if we're talking about only Sky SC, I really don't see it apart maybe a slight moment of possessiveness on Tita's part in Chapter 2. In Schera's "route",
Tita would get all worried about the girl Agate is with (Anelace) when they encounter each other in the Zeiss tunnel.

Agate isn't reciprocating yet, but it's not really hard to see that changing when she is older. I see their whole arc pretty much heading towards Agate having to reevaluate his view of her and what their relationship is. Unless Falcom really means to keep Agate/Tita as comedy relief.

Acid08

Banned
Yea, like I said, my worries about their relationship does not start from Sky SC. My cynicism came from choice happenings in Sky the 3rd, bolstered by Falcom doing the hackneyed "I love my big brother" thing completely straight in Cold Steel.

Dude, come on. The one sided crush sucks in CS2 but there is a literal romantic relationship between a brother and sister in Sky. You may think that Sky justifies itself better through writing but that basic fact remains. If an actual romantic relationship doesn't give you cynicism regarding what Falcom is willing to do then I have to question what you actually find objectionable or worthy of cynicism.

That said, I still don't see them going there with Tita and Agate. A lame but fairly innocent one sided crush from Elise toward Rean doesn't really mean that much.

Mmhmm. Considering how hard Trails has gone in the "let's current imitate popular LN trends" direction, and how even FC started with a nominally foster brother/sister relationship turned into a romantic one, it's easy to see Falcom pushing the Tita/Agate relationship into a full-blown romance in CS III.

People need to stop saying this is "light novel" shit that Falcom suddenly decided to embrace. This is Falcom shit. They laid the groundwork for this themselves. This is their trope.

*eyes gleam like yellow stars*

OK, no. Like, not now, not in the future. No no no no no.

Also, no correlation between Estelle & Josh and this. 3rd LIVES off of character development and more realistic behavior vs this exceedingly low-brow "slaves to tropes" junk being discussed here.

PK knows what's what, and it better stay that way (3rd spoilers)
although Schera can insinuate it for her amusement and Erika can believe it for our amusement.

Nyoro SF

Well of course he did. Anyone at this point in CS2 should be pretty comfortable with the knowledge that this series isn't going to kill off characters offscreen and not talk about it.

I wanted to hear the spicy details though!

I dunno, it feels rather contrived to me to just specifically talk about it weeks after the fact. [CS2]
I mean, obviously all of the good guys are fine because they appear one way or the other, and we don't really need to know the fate of the bad guys in that same game. "Oh yeah they got away and this is how" feels like such a throwaway information better used as a bonus to some larger narrative in Star Door 14 of Trails of Cold Steel the 4th or something.

I am all for Sen the 4th. Just bring back Takeshita to do the soundtrack.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
[CS1/2]
They don't even kill characters on-screen. Hell, some characters that "die" on screen don't even die, that's how bad they are. I really hate that about Cold Steel, it's just so watered down and afraid of real drama.

Dude, come on. The one sided crush sucks in CS2 but there is a literal romantic relationship between a brother and sister in Sky. You may think that Sky justifies itself better through writing but that basic fact remains. If an actual romantic relationship doesn't give you cynicism regarding what Falcom is willing to do then I have to question what you actually find objectionable or worthy of cynicism.

I didn't even bring up "light novel" and stuff so let's just move past that. I am not even talking about quality of writing. It's less about labels and more about the dynamic of their relationships.

Estelle and Joshua first met when they're both twelve and have only known each other for five years. Elise and Rean were raised together as siblings from very early childhood. Tita is a child and Agate is a man twelve years her senior. I don't have problems with the first one going the romantic way. The rest two would be just weird.

Tthe "emotional maturity" Kondo commented on in Agate's Dengeki reveal could point to a different outcome for their relationship, where Agate asserts his big-brother-bodyguard position but stops playing dumb to Tita's love for him. He's the kind of guy who'd point out how he can't be her romantic end-goal if that makes her more dependent and less able to find her way in adult life.
Ideal outcome for me right there. As long as Tita's head doesn't fall prey to Rean's rubby hand. I'm not writing off the potential directions they'd have just yet, mind. It's just an apprehension I'm airing out.

Tthe "emotional maturity" Kondo commented on in Agate's Dengeki reveal could point to a different outcome for their relationship, where Agate asserts his big-brother-bodyguard position but stops playing dumb to Tita's love for him. He's the kind of guy who'd point out how he can't be her romantic end-goal if that makes her more dependent and less able to find her way in adult life. And he's the type to push love and affection aside for work, but there's people like that too in the Bracer business who might catch his eye.

As for 3rd, only Josette actually wants to see a romance between Tita and Agate, while the Russell adults (all of whom aren't willing to consider Tita's positions on many things, including Orbal Gear) silently resign to the idea she's going to drag Agate into romance. The writing tone is more ambiguous in these moments, suggesting more that certain characters have a warped enough view of the world (Josette being a noble girl who expects large age gaps in high society she used to inhabit, and the Russells who all proudly think Tita will become tenacious and uncompromising like themselves) rather than Falcom itself. And honestly, the introduction conversations in 3rd are half comic relief and half for development, so it's a tough call to make; the Moon Door stresses how Agate sees her as his new little sister, nothing more, and Tita even agrees with him.

People need to stop saying this is "light novel" shit that Falcom suddenly decided to embrace. This is Falcom shit. They laid the groundwork for this themselves. This is their trope.
To say they don't take influence from other media, domestic and foreign, is a reduction too, but Falcom's writers have preferences of their own to balance with what fans expect from certain characters already established. I don't have any data on what Japanese fans think of Tita and Agate, but there's going to be some resistance to the status quo for these two which, coupled with negative impressions online about Rean/Elise (in Japan, supposedly), should make them think of a specific solution rather than playing a trope straight.

Playing too many controversial and ultimately unrewarding tropes straight has been a problem for their writing team lately, or maybe Ys VIII mostly avoiding the problem means they know they've gone too far.

MSMrRound

Say, if I'm able to understand a basic level of Chinese, can someone point me to where I can go to purchase legit copies of Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki?

Tried looking into the Singapore PSN store (South East Asia) but no dice, they only had the Japanese version there=/

All these Sen III intertwining more and more with the Crossbell arcs, I'm getting increasingly curious about the games and yet I want to check out all the new Sen III news.

Ahhhhhhh muuuusttt...stop...clicking...the...black bars...

Acid08

Banned
I didn't even bring up "light novel" and stuff so let's just move past that. I am not even talking about quality of writing. It's less about labels and more about the dynamic of their relationships.

Estelle and Joshua first met when they're both twelve and have only known each other for five years. Elise and Rean were raised together as siblings from very early childhood. Tita is a child and Agate is a man twelve years her senior. I don't have problems with the first one going the romantic way. The rest two would be just weird.

I think we just have different definitions of weird then. To me all three are weird, yes, even taking ages met into account. None work well and both Estelle/Joshua and Rean/Elise share the same basic problem. That's why I'm thankful that even though Falcom got too self-indulgent with Elise it didn't actually go anywhere. It's not something I feel should be taken as seriously as people seem to.

To say they don't take influence from other media, domestic and foreign, is a reduction too, but Falcom's writers have preferences of their own to balance with what fans expect from certain characters already established. I don't have any data on what Japanese fans think of Tita and Agate, but there's going to be some resistance to the status quo for these two which, coupled with negative impressions online about Rean/Elise (in Japan, supposedly), should make them think of a specific solution rather than playing a trope straight.

Playing too many controversial and ultimately unrewarding tropes straight has been a problem for their writing team lately, or maybe Ys VIII mostly avoiding the problem means they know they've gone too far.
Fair enough. It's good to know they listen to an extent at least. I still don't think I can come to terms with people who think the dumb crush from CS is an overwhelmingly negative sign for things to come or that it's somehow this completely out of character thing for Falcom. There's something to be said for nuance in writing but there's also something to be said for the basic facts of what they've been willing to do since this franchise started. If they're learning the right lessons then we shouldn't have a reason to worry. I have faith in them as far as that goes.

Aters

something drastic? like Tita turning 16?

Thud

God damn, just fought that baboon boss at the end of chapter 1 in CS. That thing took way too fucking long to beat, the battle was almost 2o minutes. Not that it was difficult, but it had way more health than it needed to. Please tell me bosses in this game aren't just damage sponges like this guy was, that would pretty much be enough to kill my motivation to keep going.

One of the last bosses has a two million HP just on Normal :p.

Gu4n

Geez, looks like it's true that (CS3 spoilers)
Campanella is going to drag Sharon back into active service working for Ouroboros.
That shouldn't come as a surprise after the heavy foreshadowing. Cold Steel II first hinted that (FC/SC/CS2 spoiler)
she could no longer leave Ouroboros like Joshua and Renne had
. Not sure whether it was during a Bond Event, but it was also said (CS2? spoiler)
by her that she would remain loyal to Class VII until the Civil War would end

MSMrRound

That shouldn't come as a surprise after the heavy foreshadowing. Cold Steel II first hinted that (FC/SC/CS2 spoiler)
she could no longer leave Ouroboros like Joshua and Renne had
. Not sure whether it was during a Bond Event

If I recall correctly that was during the confrontation between Class 7 and Cold Steel 2 boss fight spoilers
Bleublanc and Altina on top of the communication tower, since Bleublanc was the one that mentioned Joshua to her

When at the end of the Trails timeline a 20 something Tita is married to Agate people in this community are still gonna argue it's completely platonic and there's nothing going on.

[CS1/2]
They don't even kill characters on-screen. Hell, some characters that "die" on screen don't even die, that's how bad they are. I really hate that about Cold Steel, it's just so watered down and afraid of real drama.
thats not just cold steel though, thats how FC and SC are as well. Its One Piece style storytelling, where major pain is left for backstories.
Joshua's hometown, Elliot's cousin.
While the present takes it easy most of the time

strifev1

Neo Member
When at the end of the Trails timeline a 20 something Tita is married to Agate people in this community are still gonna argue it's completely platonic and there's nothing going on.

At that point, I think it would be obvious to everybody that their relationship had grown past platonic. But, by at least Trails in the Sky 3rd, their relationship is still that of an older brother, little sister. While there is teasing from Shera and others about their relationship, Tita is obviously oblivious what the teasing means and Agate gets annoyed at it. Tita could have feelings for Agate in Trails 3rd, but they play up the fact that it's really innocent on her part and that even Tita doesn't completely understand that she might.
Could their relationship become something else later? Yes, of course, but right now we haven't gotten enough evidence to say that it's 100% going to happen and honestly, I hope it doesn't. I hope Agate stays in the older brother role with Tita forever.

MKIL65

Geez, looks like it's true that (CS3 spoilers)
Campanella is going to drag Sharon back into active service working for Ouroboros.

I definetly saw this coming. CS2 spoiler
Bleublanc even asked Sharon if she was going to take the same path as Joshua and Renne. She responded by saying that it's not possible for her. So yeah, she stays loyal to Ouroboros in the end.

Shit. Just. Got. Real.

Bleublanc even asked Sharon if she was going to take the same path as Joshua and Renne. She responded by saying that it's not possible for her. So yeah, she stays loyal to Ouroboros in the end.

Shit. Just. Got. Real.
This was one of the plotlines I've been most looking forward to seeing in CS3.
I want to see what happens when her halves truly crash.
Ouroborous and the Reinfords. Alisa is not done fighting, and I don't think in a million years Sharon could stand to fight against her.

Nyoro SF

Given the large connected nature of the Trails universe we are actually sorely overdue for an in-game wedding. I mean the whole continent is dotted with churches for crying out loud!

Shit. Just. Got. Real.

(CS2)
Sharon is one of my favorite characters so I'm afraid her death flag has been raised... but maybe Anton will save her lol

Kalor

Given the large connected nature of the Trails universe we are actually sorely overdue for an in-game wedding. I mean the whole continent is dotted with churches for crying out loud!

(CS2)
Sharon is one of my favorite characters so I'm afraid her death flag has been raised... but maybe Anton will save her lol

There's a wedding sidequest in SC towards the end of the game so there's that at least.

Acid08

Banned

why are some of you so obsessed with marrying this child off to a grown man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syu_MYjO7tw
higher quality sen 3 pv that was screened inside stores.

Only after seeing this that I realize the characters in this game would be so dang many. Like, these are only the important characters from the Reeves branch of Thors. Besides the 10 people of old Class VII, we haven't even gotten to the rest of the Crossbell characters who'd no doubt makes appearances. Then there'd be some from Liberl, some from the church, the Ironbloods...

I hope we'd get some kind of switching perspective system.

Taruranto

I don't like, but there is no way Tita and Agate isn't going to be romantic at one point (Maybe not in CS3, but it's clear at this point the series wants you to ship them), especially after some scenes in The 3rd. I don't think Agate saw her as anything but a little sister during Trails at least.

Personally I'm not too bothered by the age difference as long both characters are over 18 and mentally prepared, it's just that the way the whole story is written make it look like they were waiting for her to be legal to have them bang. Kinda creepy.

Top Bottom