• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

preta

As for Ao itself, holy cow, the opening is full of spoilers. Damn it, Falcom!
Kevin and Ries are back, though!

Ao Evo's opening, despite being pretty awesome was clearly made for people who've already played the game, not first-timers. Which is incredibly dumb. SC Evo's opening is much the same way and not even as good.

Jolkien

They certainly did not hold back with the monster chest that gives you a warning. I'm in Chapter 3 of Zero, everyone at lvl 22 with all the latest upgraded gear and I'm getting destroyed by a chest with monster level 25 in it.

I'm watching someone play through Sen II again to refresh (I don't think they'll finish in time, but it seems to be the highest quality video available in Japanese), and I really hope they cut some of the _ character is jumping/landing on top of Rean type bullshit. Oh and the less Elise screen time, the better. The way her lines are voices is insufferable.

Thud

Ao Evo's opening, despite being pretty awesome was clearly made for people who've already played the game, not first-timers. Which is incredibly dumb. SC Evo's opening is much the same way and not even as good.

Yeah they weren't subtle about it haha.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Falcom themselves aren't strangers to putting spoilers in the openings either. The Sky SC one puts
Renne
(Chapter 3 spoiler) among other Enforcers and shows
Erebonian tanks
(Chapter 8 spoiler), while the CS opening has
Gundams appear in Heimdallr
(Final Chapter spoiler).

I'm really getting tempted to play the Zero no Kiseki fan translation even if it is really bad (maybe I should just wait out for Floogy and Gu4n to finish their version). Anybody here already played the game using the patch? How is it? Is it even understandable?

Jolkien

I'm really getting tempted to play the Zero no Kiseki fan translation even if it is really bad (maybe I should just wait out for Floogy and Gu4n to finish their version). Anybody here already played the game using the patch? How is it? Is it even understandable?

I'm playing it as we speak, no problem whatsoever, some phrases are worded weirdly and there's a lot of grammatical errors but it's not hard to understand like 99% of the dialogue. English is not even my primary language. Granted if Xseed ever grace us with the game I'll buy them and play them again in a heartbeat.

Ao translation on the other hand is terrible and you should follow the script with the spreadsheet.

I'm playing it as we speak, no problem whatsoever, some phrases are worded weirdly and there's a lot of grammatical errors but it's not hard to understand like 99% of the dialogue. English is not even my primary language. Granted if Xseed ever grace us with the game I'll buy them and play them again in a heartbeat.

I think that somebody whose English is not their primary language would actually be less likely to be bothered by the translation quality.

It really depends on the person. Do you have the time for it? Currently not playing other games? Have you seen footage of the patch?
Maybe the translation will spoil the experience for you. In that case the patch is 1/3 edited and Ao is on the way. In any case I don't think there's a chance for an official localization until Xseed finish CS3 so two years or less from now.

For me, it was decent enough to get what was going on, and I sure don't regret it. Zero/Ao have become some of the best games I've ever played and whenever they get a better translation/official release I will make time to replay them.

I think that somebody whose English is not their primary language would actually be less likely to be bothered by the translation quality.

Also, this. But right now is the only option for a person that doesn't understand either japanese or chinese though.

Jolkien

I guess that makes sense. Even though it's bothering someone I think having seen and played the event in Zero is in my opinion worth it but it differ from person to person. I just did not want to finally play CS3 when/if Xseed bring it in NA without having played Zero and Ao in some fashion since there's a lot of character from these game in CS3.

However tiny the chances are that Xseed will someday bring them I don't think there's any chance it'd be before CS3. I'd be so glad to be proved wrong though.

Ao translation on the other hand is terrible and you should follow the script with the spreadsheet.

It really depends on the person. Do you have the time for it? Currently not playing other games? Have you seen footage of the patch?
Maybe the translation will spoil the experience for you. In that case the patch is 1/3 edited and Ao is on the way. In any case I don't think there's a chance for an official localization until Xseed finish CS3 so two years or less from now.

For me, it was decent enough to get what was going on, and I sure don't regret it. Zero/Ao have become some of the best games I've ever played and whenever they get a better translation/official release I will make time to replay them.

Also, this. But right now is the only option for a person that doesn't understand either japanese or chinese though.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm at the final boss for the 3rd so I've been contemplating really hard on this (especially after watching the CS3 trailer). I'm probably going to push through playing the patch! But if XSEED ever does an official translation, I'm buying it in a heartbeat!

Jiraiza

Ao, Road to the Future Drama CD:
Loved the SoL segments with the SSS. Definitely a good idea to listen to this or read a synopsis about it before starting Ao. Nice to see Mireille getting some attention, and I was pretty fond of her dialogue in Zero. She's even voiced by Nakahara Mai!

Ao, Prologue:
Whoa, wasn't expecting Kevin and Ries to show up so soon. Glad they still have their cute banter as always. Lazy and Noel are interesting additions to the SSS, though a little bit surprising for Lazy given his delinquency in the slums. Come back faster, Randy, Tio!

Lloyd's definitely more interesting when he shows clear interest in Elie, though I'm not sure that's because I ended up with her in Zero. Curse you, bonding system.

preta

Ao, Road to the Future Drama CD:
Loved the SoL segments with the SSS. Definitely a good idea to listen to this or read a synopsis about it before starting Ao. Nice to see Mireille getting some attention, and I was pretty fond of her dialogue in Zero. She's even voiced by Nakahara Mai!

Ao, Prologue:
Whoa, wasn't expecting Kevin and Ries to show up so soon. Glad they still have their cute banter as always. Lazy and Noel are interesting additions to the SSS, though a little bit surprising for Lazy given his delinquency in the slums. Come back faster, Randy, Tio!

Lloyd's definitely more interesting when he shows clear interest in Elie, though I'm not sure that's because I ended up with her in Zero. Curse you, bonding system.

Just FYI, that's not "Lazy" but Łazy, pronounced Wazy.

Jiraiza

Just FYI, that's not "Lazy" but Łazy, pronounced Wazy.

I was wondering what the extra stroke was for.

I really dig these new illustrations for some of the recurring characters. Something to look forward to as I reconnect with the characters back in Zero.

That is a fantastic trailer! God waiting until sometime next year (hopefully) is going to be painful! I spoiled the hell out of CS2 for myself after beating the first game so I'm going to try and ignore any and all spoilers for CS3 this time around >.<

Also has it been revealed if the game is going to be like CS1/2 where you can choose whom to romance or if they decided to just axe that (and they really should for the sake of actual character development!) and just go with Alisa/Rean as the games clearly intended it to be?

Psxphile

It's weird how they haven't really gone into whether the bond system would return in some form. It's been a part of the series since Zero, it seems unlikely they'll drop it now. But they've been pretty mum about it so far. The trailer does show in sequence several brief scenes of Rean getting cozy with another party member.

Would have been nice if, rather than 1-on-1 interactions we see Rean and co. engage in "skits" or whatever the Tales series does with its main casts outside of main story progression. You kind of got that with the study sessions in CS1 coming up on mid-terms.

PK Gaming

Just finished Chapter 6 in 3rd.

The full reveal of Kevin's backstory got to me. I had expected Kevin to play part in Rufina's death, but it was more along the lines of "she sacrificed herself to protect him." You know, amateur hour nonsense. But it was so much more than that. That reveal that Kevin had killed her, and that his pent up malicious feelings towards his late mother play a part in his bloodlust was too much. And Ries's reaction to the reveal just destroyed. She discovers how her sister dies and she flips out at Kevin for keeping this a secret. It wasn't the fact that he killed that truly bothered her, but the fact that he went so long with such an awful burden and not share it with her. It's an intense moment that hits hard, I couldn't stop myself from tearing up.

Ries is just... really great as a character. She seems like such quaint, simple character at first glance, but they go the whole nine yards with her and it fucking words. "We're FAMILY, Kevin" has got to be one of the best moments in the franchise, bar none.

I didn't beat the game, but i'm ready to call it;put simply, Trails in the 3rd is a masterpiece.

I also want to talk about how I had to fight CASSIUS BRIGHT, but i'll save that for some other time.

Thud

The full reveal of Kevin's backstory got to me. I had expected Kevin to play part in Rufina's death, but it was more along the lines of "she sacrificed herself to protect him." You know, amateur hour nonsense. But it was so much more than that. That reveal that Kevin had killed her, and that his pent up malicious feelings towards his late mother play a part in his bloodlust was too much. And Ries's reaction to the reveal just destroyed. She discovers how her sister dies and she flips out at Kevin for keeping this a secret. It wasn't the fact that he killed that truly bothered her, but the fact that he went so long with such an awful burden and not share it with her. It's an intense moment that hits hard, I couldn't stop myself from tearing up.

Ries is just... really great as a character. She seems like such quaint, simple character at first glance, but they go the whole nine yards with her and it fucking words. "We're FAMILY, Kevin" has got to be one of the best moments in the franchise, bar none.

I didn't beat the game, but i'm ready to call it;put simply, Trails in the 3rd is a masterpiece.

I also want to talk about how I had to fight CASSIUS BRIGHT, but i'll save that for some other time.

Well both events make you cry, but for different reasons. :p

And the music cuts in at just the right moment.

Loz246789

*bangs pots and pans* THE THIRD IS FANTASTIC *continues banging pots and pans*

But no really, it says a lot that I only beat the game a few months ago, and I already want to replay it. It doesn't even have many optional NPCs like usual, it's just a REALLY good game. I'd love a spiritual successor at some point.

Hold on to your ass then cuz 3rd ain't done with you yet.

sbs2601

Neo Member
The funny thing is, if you tell someone who has just started playing FC the main story synopsis of the 3rd, they would probably think you're trolling :p

That is a fantastic trailer! God waiting until sometime next year (hopefully) is going to be painful! I spoiled the hell out of CS2 for myself after beating the first game so I'm going to try and ignore any and all spoilers for CS3 this time around >.<

Also has it been revealed if the game is going to be like CS1/2 where you can choose whom to romance or if they decided to just axe that (and they really should for the sake of actual character development!) and just go with Alisa/Rean as the games clearly intended it to be?

Even if the system is still in place, I hope it won't involve the new characters and they'll let Juna-Kurt bloom.

These two things aren't mutually exclusive...?

Bonding system =! All characters romanceable

Yar, but per the post I quoted, I was not talking about the entire bonding system, just the "choose whom to romance" aspect of it.

So what I meant to say is something like "even if they still let Rean pick whom to romance, I hope they leave Juna out of it so she can pick Kurt instead."

Squire

Banned
Yar, but per the post I quoted, I was not talking about the entire bonding system, just the "choose whom to romance" aspect of it.

So what I meant to say is something like "even if they still let Rean pick whom to romance, I hope they leave Juna out of it so she can pick Kurt instead."

Ah, my bad.

I have a feeling there might actually not be any romantic ends if there are still bonds at all.

PK Gaming

Man if Rean had someone like Joshua or Ries...

:'(

Still on team #ReanisGood, but uh, Kevin and Estelle are undeniably difficult acts to follow. I didn't expect myself to like Kevin this badly, but they didn't really hold back...

Jiraiza

It's weird how they haven't really gone into whether the bond system would return in some form. It's been a part of the series since Zero, it seems unlikely they'll drop it now. But they've been pretty mum about it so far. The trailer does show in sequence several brief scenes of Rean getting cozy with another party member.

Would have been nice if, rather than 1-on-1 interactions we see Rean and co. engage in "skits" or whatever the Tales series does with its main casts outside of main story progression. You kind of got that with the study sessions in CS1 coming up on mid-terms.

There was a small mention of it in one of the magazine scans, so it's definitely still in. Given Rean's situation in CS3, I feel like this is the perfect time to give him his other "half" in the same way Joshua is for Estelle and Ries is for Kevin (it'll also help with fending off that sexual deviant called Muse, particularly with that scene in the trailer).

Wishful thinking, though.

There was a small mention of it in one of the magazine scans, so it's definitely still in. Given Rean's situation in CS3, I feel like this is the perfect time to give him his other "half" in the same way Joshua is for Estelle and Ries is for Kevin (it'll also help with fending off that sexual deviant called Muse, particularly with that scene in the trailer).

Wishful thinking, though.
Crow Armbrust
was his for CS1 and 2 lol

preta

With so many lines overlapping + the song lyrics is subbed too it was hard to follow all of them without pausing from time to time. What stood out to me at the beginning was....
Erebonia also annexed North Ambria!? Holy hell. I wonder if Osborne will try invading Liberl again

So hyped

The thing about (3rd spoilers)
Erebonia annexing North Ambria (which was actually revealed quite a while ago) is that it's really going to piss off the Church since it was previously under their control, and Osborne would be well aware of this - so what does this fallen country have that would make it worth it in spite of this? I think it has to do with the Salt Pale.

alpha69

Erebonia annexing North Ambria (which was actually revealed quite a while ago) is that it's really going to piss off the Church since it was previously under their control, and Osborne would be well aware of this - so what does this fallen country have that would make it worth it in spite of this? I think it has to do with the Salt Pale.
Oh? I thought (3rd spoiler)
the church already took the Salt Pale and sealed it in Arteria, then used it to make salt-turning bows for Kevin for use on heretics. I think it was on one of the doors where you read a report on the incident.

preta

Oh? I thought (3rd spoiler)
the church already took the Salt Pale and sealed it in Arteria, then used it to make salt-turning bows for Kevin for use on heretics. I think it was on one of the doors where you read a report on the incident.

I didn't mean to say it was still there, just that Osborne might be wanting to look into or find something related to it - something the Church would obviously not allow while NA was under their control.

More land to expand his railroad.

Erheller

Speaking of this...

3rd Star Door 2

A third of the population of North Ambria died? Damn that's dark.

See, if this had happened in like the world of the Witcher 3, I'd be like "okay sure a bunch of people died." But having something like that happen in Zemuria is shocking.

Edit: Geez, the game even gives you a Petrify when you finish the door, haha

Oh, I am under the impression that [CS3]
only the northern, salty part of North Ambria that's under the Church control and it's not even technically North Ambria anymore, while the one gobbled up by Erebonia is the jaeger-supported remainder of the region.

In any case, I am kinda disappointed that [CS3]
the annexation happened of screen. The country seems to experience quite of few of intriguing things that we never actually get to see.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
I didn't mean to say it was still there, just that Osborne might be wanting to look into or find something related to it - something the Church would obviously not allow while NA was under their control.
The Earth Sept-Terrion, perhaps? Salinization is pretty close to petrification. Unless it's already accounted for in the Crossbell or later Cold Steel games.

Top Bottom