• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Knick - Season 2 - Fridays on Cinemax

Saty

Yeah, in a way The Knick is starting to hit its stride. The way it goes through its plots is unlike most of other shows. Bertie's mother's surgery already done with; Harry going from being on trial to be free, and before her plot gets into a rut, she's now moving with Cleary. The Knick really is solid all around, which is why the shaky bits stick out more - Barrow's parts continue to be the weakest.

Turin

Banned
Echoing what others said, the Chickering's are refreshingly decent people in this story.

I'm not sure Bertie was necessarily excited when Lucy brought up the ball. More a little bit dumbfounded for a second.

Maybe I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

JDSN

Banned
Echoing what others said, the Chickering's are refreshingly decent people in this story.

I'm not sure Bertie was necessarily excited when Lucy brought up the ball. More a little bit dumbfounded for a second.

Maybe I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I think she is his blindspot, they are setting up Genevive to be this exciting woman that is also family-oriented, but he has been talking so much about how he has changed that it sounds like he is trying to convince himself. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt since tainting Bertie is one of the directions that I hope the show doesnt take.

I wonder when are they going to have a second go at the retinal detachment surgery, they are setting up the drug cure to be the main case this season (Like the previa surgery) but im more invested in the ocular surgery since the procedure was invented around that time.

I feel like the Cotton poisoning theories are off the mark, I simply got the vibe Cotton was faking sickness to get the hell out of there, with the way Gallenger was knocking back whiskey I think he suspected a beatdown coming.

I feel really torn about how they portray Everett, you're rooting for him one minute and the next he's spewing eugenics filth and snipping juevenile testes.

JDSN

Banned
I feel like the Cotton poisoning theories are off the mark, I simply got the vibe Cotton was faking sickness to get the hell out of there, with the way Gallenger was knocking back whiskey I think he suspected a beatdown coming.

I feel really torn about how they portray Everett, you're rooting for him one minute and the next he's spewing eugenics filth and snipping juevenile testes.

Dude was sweating when he came downstairs, we know he is not gonna die because he is an historical character, but he is sick for real. They made a callback to typhoid this episode so it could also be that.

I freaking love this show, it's just a sleeper hit. So many people missing out on a fantastic series.

Elkins is a goddess.

CZooEXr.png

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Williams and Walker

Thackery tries to steady his nerves as he prepares to separate conjoined twins before a packed audience, while Cornelia receives a surprise gift from her father-in-law and attends a charity ball for the new Knick. Later, Barrow rids himself of a threat; Opal puts a damper on the Robertsons' good mood; Algernon receives long-overdue recognition in the surgical theater, but complications arise.

jerry113

Banned
lol bertie in the top hat is the 1900 "m'lady"

edit:

- wtf at the toe sucking

- i did not expect to see emily kinney

- that is one hell of a speech, thack.

What the heck is Gallinger playing at?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This season we've seen the full transformation from "Bertie The Wise" to "Bertie Them Thighs"

Gallinger can't be redeemed for me at this point. I thought we would get a comeback arc for him, but he is just scummy all around.

Thackery gave an amazing speech before the surgery. True theater.

Tugatrix

Damn Gallingher at least he didn't let him die as I feared, what a scumbag.

Now I spend the episodes thinking when will Gallingher eugenize anyone without his permition, that's the only thing he hasn't done yet

That was freaking amazing! The ballroom scene was so nicely shot with the long-shots and lightning. Simply beautiful stuff all around. And WTF at Gallenger?! I see they are finding more reasons for me to hate his guts. Crafty as hell, but ethically that was quite something.

I need for more great directors to do shows where they are the sole directors. I love the consistency you get.

Lamel

Banned
For some reason I thought season 2 was only 7 episodes so I was confused how it ended; good to know it is 10 total haha.

Gallinger you fuckhead.

lmao holy shit. Gallinger started the season with somewhat of an upwards redemption arc but since then he's gotten far worse than ever before.

in season 2 his vitriol has moved towards threatening the health of other people.

Did she? I might have looked away and missed it.

IDK after she had a surprised look and was writing something down rapidly. It could of just been about Algernon's mistake but it could also be the bottle switch. He did the switch right in front of the crowd.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They're going a little too hard with the "Hey you guys in 2015 - can you believe these people in the 1900s just invented gasoline? Isn't that crazy? Wow!" type stuff. The medical side of it makes sense, given the premise of the show, but the rest feels a little too cute.

But yeah, great episode. Loved the way the ballroom scenes were shot and scored.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They're going a little too hard with the "Hey you guys in 2015 - can you believe these people in the 1900s just invented gasoline? Isn't that crazy? Wow!" type stuff. The medical side of it makes sense, given the premise of the show, but the rest feels a little too cute.

But yeah, great episode. Loved the way the ballroom scenes were shot and scored.

Yeah, that gasoline drop bothered me too. It didn't feel natural at all.

Also, Thackery's shoe game is off the charts. I want them.

Lamel

Banned

I generally really like all the historical shout outs (especially the medical ones). The gasoline one was random yeah, but still cool.

Someone had to have noticed the bottle switch or that's just poor writing. He didn't do it just the once he did it twice.
I assume Algie figures out the sleight of hand then fights Everett in one of the next two episodes. The season 2 trailer has a clip of Edwards and Gallinger getting ready to fight, I'd guess this is what leads to that.

Lamel

Banned
I thought that someone must have noticed the bottle switch too. At first I thought Algie's wife was looking at Gallinger, but it may be the reporter as well.

UrbanRats

Someone had to have noticed the bottle switch or that's just poor writing. He didn't do it just the once he did it twice.
I assume Algie figures out the sleight of hand then fights Everett in one of the next two episodes. The season 2 trailer has a clip of Edwards and Gallinger getting ready to fight, I'd guess this is what leads to that.

\It's not that strange, there was a lot of tension and commotion, the guy was dying, not everyone will notice every little detail, especially since the attention was elsewhere.

Alpende

lol bertie in the top hat is the 1900 "m'lady"

edit:

- wtf at the toe sucking

- i did not expect to see emily kinney

- that is one hell of a speech, thack.

What the heck is Gallinger playing at?

Kinney was in a previous episode as well.

Gallinger is such an asshole, incredible.

JDSN

Banned
Im guessing Thack is gonna use the film to improve Abby's nose, our hospital uses polyethilene based implants, but a quick search shows the procedure was being done with celluloid back then.

-Gallinger is a piece of shit, its a shame that the biggest blows that are delivered at him is through hurting the ones he love. He needs to get fucking whooped. Although it was sweet how Thack named the knot after him.
-I love how the show sometimes skips these big hyped surgeries, the previa last season was anticlimactic and this wasnt even shown, showing the team smiling with the twins was one of the examples of showing history actually working....unlike that cringe-worthy gasoline line.
-Robertson arguing with Opal was a really humanizing moment for him, he is a nice guy but there is a part of him that sees Edwards as less, the fact that he was brutally honest for once instead of talking in platitudes seems like an advancement in the character.
-I really like how lax is the editing of Bertie's scenes, they are almost improvisational and the actor really makes it work, he needs to be getting Hollywood work ASAP.
-Edwards getting more vocal is good for him, he is getting comfortable with his position and is realizing that playing nice or in the shadows is not working anymore.
-Barrow is gonna burn and im gonna be glad.

Saty

- Disappointed we didn't get more of the actual surgery on the twins. That's a part of The Knick's ticket.
- Didn't understand Opal. How can you be so aggressive about racial relations but then be so ecstatic about a Black-face act and going to see it multiple times?
- I've gone cold on Lucie. They've gone way the other side trying to show her being 'edgy' and giving no fucks. Trying too much to prove a point after her resolution earlier this season.

Rest was good.

UrbanRats

Gallinger has achieved cartoon villain status.

It would've been such, had he killed they guy for spite, but he actually used it as a way to get back into Thack's (and every other folk there) grace, while simultaneously kicking down Edwards.
So it makes logical sense for the character, rather than just trying to make him do the worst possible thing at every turn.
--
I'll say, i like how the show isn't too concerned about making characters likeable, and instead decides to stick to the tone of the times.

An example of them, is not only not having him perplexed or repulsed, but showing Thack and Abigail outright laughing and enjoying the cringeworthy blackface comedians.

Honestly, a lesser show would've taken that opportunity to have Thackery say something anachronistically progressive, just for fear of having him show unlikable sides.
This was doubly true in S1, when he was even more outright racist in Edwards' regards.

shira

I've mentally prepared myself all this and last season for what Hobart Showalter is going to do, but he never does it.

#creepyfil

That exchange between Algie and Thack about Carr, the black patient is the highlight of the season so far for me.

(Also,I loved how Carr says to Edwards "you have permission (for the surgical procedure)...from us." Such a poignant and subversive statement. Edwards hates the system but wants to operate within the social parameters of white supremacy, while Carr refuses to indulge in it at all. Carr is definitely channeling that spirit of black self empowerment)

I also loved how Edwards points out the hospital will accept low class white drug addicts and alcoholics for Thack's wild experiments, but a black patient is the line that cant be crossed.
Andre Holland is extremely good at using unspoken body language cues to give the audience a window into exactly what hes thinking and feeling...and he does it so naturally, it doesnt come off like he's hamming it up or show boating.

It would've been such, had he killed they guy for spite, but he actually used it as a way to get back into Thack's (and every other folk there) grace, while simultaneously kicking down Edwards.
So it makes logical sense for the character, rather than just trying to make him do the worst possible thing at every turn.
--
I'll say, i like how the show isn't too concerned about making characters likeable, and instead decides to stick to the tone of the times.

An example of them, is not only not having him perplexed or repulsed, but showing Thack and Abigail outright laughing and enjoying the cringeworthy blackface comedians.

Honestly, a lesser show would've taken that opportunity to have Thackery say something anachronistically progressive, just for fear of having him show unlikable sides.
This was doubly true in S1, when he was even more outright racist in Edwards' regards.

agreed, especially with the blackface scene. I was expecting Thackery to speak up or something but his amusement was a complete swerve. keeps you on your toes rather than cowtowing to usual show expectations.

Gallinger has achieved cartoon villain status.

Yeah, I liked the dark ending with the eugenics stuff, but this last episode was a bit much for me. He's been on my nerves all season EXCEPT the eugenics stuff which makes sense for his character and the time period, but kidnapping Thackery and now the staged poisoning is too much.

Edwards had the right response to the minstrel, and I'm glad they didn't play that up as "WE SHOULD BE APPALLED" because we're modern audiences. That seemed to fit the times and characters for those that know history. It also added a nice wrinkle to the characters.

I'm a little worried about the looming potential sexual assault against Cornelia, and Nurse Elkins' character shift this season has been sudden, but there's so much richness in this show and the characters that my minor annoyances and troublesomes are exaggerated.

I do wonder why there are so many matching shots and transitions in the direction this season. There were some in the first season, but a lot more this time around, I think.

Damn that was a fantastic episode. The ballroom scene was infinitely intruiging.

Sad Gallinger is become such an asshole after he seemed to be redeeming himself for saving Thackery.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just realized that Michael Angarano (Bertie) played the random guy that Gina Carano basically carjacked in Haywire, which I do believe makes him the sole main cast member to have worked with Soderbergh previously.

Top Bottom