• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Knick - Season 2 - Fridays on Cinemax

WTF he murders his wrestler/investment and it's back to eating pies in the next episode
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

It definitely wasnt a murder. Dude was just ignorant about the amount of cocaine to give his wrestler. I think Clearly not being all that perturbed about the mans death is due to that guy being a dodgy investment anyway since he confessed to taking bribes from outside parties.

Speevy

Banned
I want to watch this, but I don't have TV. I see it's not available on Amazon.

Any way to watch it legally?

Tugatrix

RIP creepstachbeard doctor your smoothness with the ladies won't be forgotten. Remember kids formaldehyde it's very flammable so keep the cauterizer away

So Cornelia will stay a full month, almost alone with her father in law, this can't be good for her.

yeah Gallinger sterilization is good begin whit your self

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
RIP creepstachbeard doctor your smoothness with the ladies won't be forgotten. Remember kids formaldehyde it's very flammable so keep the cauterizer away

So Cornelia will stay a full month, almost alone with her father in law, this can't be good for her.

yeah Gallinger sterilization is good begin whit your self

My thoughts exactly. My stomach dropped when her husband said he would be away for a few weeks and I realized that she'd be alone with that creep.

I wasn't sold on her either at first, waaaay too on the nose but the dance hall scene with Algernon was great.

Yeah, I think my comment was a little premature. I made it after watching the beginning of the episode. She's beginning to grow on me.

I enjoyed the dinner scene with Cornelia and her parents.

I do think the storyline is contrived, but it's a near-flawless show so I'm indifferent.

Algernon's wife is easily the worst character this show has ever introduced. The storyline is simply ridiculous.

I honestly LOVE the character. Beyond the marriage thing, her character's feelings on Algernon's living situation was on point.

And black people in Britain were treated differently back then, it totally makes sense for her to look at even the Showalters and think, "they ain't shit".

I honestly LOVE the character. Beyond the marriage thing, her character's feelings on Algernon's living situation was on point.

And black people in Britain were treated differently back then, it totally makes sense for her to look at even the Showalters and think, "they ain't shit".

I definitely loved her scene with the Showalters. That's what really sold me on her.

UrbanRats

A lot of stuff happened this episode, damn.

Most of all i'm happy for Harriett and Thack's love interest which i forgot the name of.
Hopefully Cornelia can buy a bowie knife or something, so she can survive sleeping one month in the same house as that creep of her father in law.

Anyone notice that the reporter/Bertie love interest Genevieve Alridge is totally in episode 1 hanging out in Thack's mental asylum?
You can see her sitting in a chair as Thack tries to convince Gallinger to steal him some heroin. So the report she wrote on insane medical practise in mental hospitals was about the asylum Thack had been committed to. I thought that was a nice subtle touch.
OK9b.jpg

Alpende

Anyone notice that the reporter/Bertie love interest Genevieve Alridge is totally in episode 1 hanging out in Thack's mental asylum?
You can see her sitting in a chair as Thack tries to convince Gallinger to steal him some heroin. So the report she wrote on insane medical practise in mental hospitals was about the asylum Thack had been committed to. I thought that was a nice subtle touch.

Wow, did not notice that.

Wow, did not notice that.

Nobody can possibly be aware of that nugget without seeing episode 3, which is the first time Genevieve is even introduced to us as a character. I assume its meant as a cool treat for people revisiting that particular episode when the season 2 Blu Ray comes out.

On a completely different note though, is anyone else absolutely dying to find out the backstory behind Captain Robertson and John Thackery and what kind of shit they got up to in Nicaragua? Some kind of shared history between Thack and Capt. Robertson involving Nicaragua has been alluded to at least three or four times over the last two seasons.

(I know that historically, just before 20th century, American troops were involved in combat in Nicaragua...and this show does like to reference historical events like that)
Hopefully we get some flashbacks!

ezekial45

Banned
That's really cool. I'm wondering how it'll come up again. They're clearing going for something a bit more here than just a nod to an earlier episode.

Lamel

Banned
Just caught up to season 2, love this show!

Btw, the malaria treatment for syphilis is historically accurate, and has been used in the past.

Also they threw some physiology in there 2 episodes ago when Bertie was checking the mouse's heartbeat and noticed it was fast; the adrenaline made it beat faster (which is what it does), but they don't know that yet haha.

Love the historical aspects of medicine in this show, too good.

I love that Soderbergh is taking it back to the early and mid 20th century style of cinematography with bundles of long takes.
But whats especially cool is that he's not doing it to be self indulgent, hes trying be as economic as possible with the imagery being conveyed to the viewer. Conveying as much information as possible with the least amount of camera work and editing: his long takes are shot so naturally you probably wont even notice it unless youre actually looking to find it.

Case in point: the scene inside Huber's Palace Museum in episode 3 with Bertie and "Esther Cohen". Its a super busy scene with a ton of background shit going on, but Soderbergh covered it with a 2 min. long take, ....and the camera movement is so natural you dont notice.
I always knew Soderbergh was top flight on the technical side, but his total creative control here is allowing him to display his technical acumen quite emphatically.

Seeing his work on this series is forcing me (and probably others) to reevaluate Soderbergh place amongst the best working American directors.

Soderbergh is the fucking man. Some of the Camera angles he uses and the long takes are incredible.

Also, man the music in this show... I say it every week but good god it's incredible. Cliff Martinez is a fucking beast.

B33

Banned
I'm overjoyed that Soderbergh didn't retire from filmmaking and instead moved to another medium to tell stories. I'm hard-pressed to think of another working filmmaker with his versatility.

I hope THE KNICK gets at least one more season with Soderbergh at its helm.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Whiplash

A subway explosion sends a flood of patients to the Knick; while being pursued by Henry, Lucy heeds advice from one of Ping Wu's girls. Later, a troubled addict makes an ideal test case for Thackery's theory on addiction; Bertie submits his adrenalin findings to Zinberg; Cornelia uncovers a clue about Speight's death; Barrow pays off a debt; Genevieve charms the Chickerings; and Harriet becomes a boardinghouse pariah.

I'm overjoyed that Soderbergh didn't retire from filmmaking and instead moved to another medium to tell stories. I'm hard-pressed to think of another working filmmaker with his versatility.

I hope THE KNICK gets at least one more season with Soderbergh at its helm.

Yeah same here. He said he chose Cinemax partly because he knew he'd be treated as "the big kid in a small school"
Everyone is saying the series should be on HBO and it probably should, but if Im an exec at Cinemax Id resent the idea of passing the show off to HBO when they initially passed on Soderbergh's proposal. This their baby.
(Admittedly, Soderbergh says he called HBO and asked them to financially commit to an entire 10 episode season within 24 hours so he could meet the shooting deadlines he wanted. They said no, then told him to ask their sister network, Cinemax)

jerry113

Banned
Watching Thack macgyver his way through medical procedure is mesmerizing

lol: at Thackery's double take when Gallenger suggests vasectomy to treat heroin addiction

"Oh god gentlemen even his brain is getting bored of this horseshit. Please."

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Gallanger is fucking monster. Jesus, that was so evil. I can't believe doctors following Eugenics did that shit.

Yeah, so much for him redeeming himself in Season 2. Disgusting.

Plethora of great character moments in this one. I especially liked the family dinner scene with Bertie.

Also, I honestly didn't even know Barrow had a family. Maybe it was mentioned before or last season, but I just assumed he was stuck on that prostitute. Leaving his wife in the living room like that was cold blooded.

Grizzlyjin

What did you gents think of the episode?

I'm about to watch it right now, so I'll chime in tomorrow.

Good episode, I enjoyed it a bit more than last week. I'm a sucker for any episode with some inventive surgical moments.

Top Bottom