• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Knick - Season 2 - Fridays on Cinemax

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

The Best With the Best to Get the Best

Edwards helps Thackery test a new hypothesis; a young journalist works a story on a Thackery rival; Cornelia laments the limits of her husband's sympathies; Barrow deals with a new adversary at Tammany Hall; Gallinger takes interest in a discussion of eugenics at a class reunion.

Uhhhh, why is last week's episode on HBO now? Awesome!

First episode of season 2 was on just before it, apparently. I see what you are doing HBO, trying to get me to sub to Cinemax.

HBOW will have season 2 episode 1 on at 8p (so, in 15 minutes) and episode 2 following that.

Sanjuro

The Knick: Where you all get fucked. All ya'll.

Edwards with his best Homer Simpson expression at the end. Thackery back to being a balanced cunt. Chickering starting his newest heartbreaking endeavor.

I adore this show in so many ways. Omly downside is it remains impossible to recommend to humans with a soul remaining.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Thack Attack is back. My man was only clean for one episode. And Gallinger becoming interested in eugenics, excuse me while I pretend to be shocked.

Also I just knew Elkins' father was going to be a grade A asshole. He's had it simmering under the surface since he arrived. And is Bertie a virgin or just not that experienced? I'm leaning towards the former, and he was just trying to save face in front of the other doctor.

And Edwards has a wife?!?!?!

Tugatrix

Ed has a wife?

HurrjOo.gif

Thackery+drugs greatest combo ever, except for his patients

after some researching look like the fever treatment was real and sometimes worked

Saty

Going overboard trying to villainize Lucy's father. Not a fan of Thackery back on drugs. Algie has a wife thing seems likes needless complication.

KingKong

This show is so absolutely beautiful in every scene, it's one of the best things Sodebergh has done. I wonder what the budget is compared to something like Boardwalk Empire, which I think is the only show that comes close to it

Going overboard trying to villainize Lucy's father. Not a fan of Thackery back on drugs. Algie has a wife thing seems likes needless complication.

Yeah, the beating was unnecessary in my opinion. Especially when he bent her over and started to whip her.

Felt like a "oooh, look at how bad and evil he is" scene that's setting up Thack coming in to save her. I would have said Birdie, but he's already moved on and I see no reason for him to look back...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This season on The Knick: a whole lot of vile people who think the world is going to hell by even daintily dipping its metaphorical toes into the 20th century.

This show is so absolutely beautiful in every scene, it's one of the best things Sodebergh has done. I wonder what the budget is compared to something like Boardwalk Empire, which I think is the only show that comes close to it
I would imagine it's cheaper by a significant margin. Smaller scope, less CGI set extensions, Soderbergh's speedy and efficient production schedule (minimal coverage, no stand-ins, practical lighting, both seasons combined were less than 150 days, etc), and presumably less costly EP credits like Scorsese and [the utterly useless] Wahlberg on Boardwalk.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
This show is amazing. Sometimes the problem for me with period pieces is that you never feel like you're in the past, but this show just makes me feel like I'm there.

The talk about eugenics but vile, but really set the tone for what's to come.

Eh, the whipping scene was believable to me. She is a woman in 1901. Her father is a preacher from Kentucky. As we see with Cornellia, many women were treated like children back then.

I don't know where they are going with Algernon and his wife.

ItIsOkBro

I think this episode came close to overcomplicating things. It's time to let all these relationships and storylines play out and not throw any more new things into the mix. Edwards having a wife is pushing it IMO.

UrbanRats

I don't have a problem with the scene itself in theory, but it was done really in an hamfisted way, especially his comical over acting, that works in the sermons, but not out of them, same with the eugenics scene.

Otherwise i liked the episode.

That final shot of Algenon would make for a good reaction gif.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I think this episode came close to overcomplicating things. It's time to let all these relationships and storylines play out and not throw any more new things into the mix. Edwards having a wife is pushing it IMO.

How is it pushing it?

we know nothing of Ed's life in France/Europe aside from him telling people how they loved and respected him there.

it felt right to me, A reason(not the...) for him leaving "The good Life" in Europe.

ItIsOkBro

How is it pushing it?

we know nothing of Ed's life in France/Europe aside from him telling people how they loved and respected him there.

it felt right to me, A reason(not the...) for him leaving "The good Life" in Europe.

It's pushing it because did he really need another subplot? Edwards has his eye problems, he has his Cornelia problems, he has his Gallinger problems, he has his board member problems. He didn't need wife problems.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Dr Mays wasn't quite as good at concealing his vices as Thackery. RIP.

People couldn't wait until they could talk on the phone while driving.

Cornelia needs to work on her poker face.

Was that the first we saw of Daisy? Champagne certainly works on her.

I wonder if it's her husband/ father-in-law or the city's political forces that are spying on Cornelia. Phillip certainly seemed suspicious and/or upset with her this episode.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
After the initial shock of his death had worn off, I must say that I was more than a little disappointed Dr. Mays was killed off. I thought he showed great promise. *sniff*

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I actually liked Dr. Mays. Pervy Doctor was fun. That moment was extremely shocking, I had to rewind to make sure that was actually happening.

This show continues to deliver. Mays going out was great ("I could ensure you a long future at the Knick." brutal irony, and a fitting end to the lecherous buffoon), especially since it karmatically ruins Barrow's chances at the club, clearly the only reason he ever hired him. I'm curious as to Barrow's motivations, however. His adoration of the brothel girl seems rather superficial. We otherwise see him spending all of his free time scheming and plotting to make money, even delighting in the act of it all in and of itself. I'm not sure that even if he finally had a successful venture that he wouldn't be more likely to burn it in a dumpster and continue with the thrill of the scheme, though maybe I'm giving his character more depth than it's earned. Where's my sickle-wielding badass Ping Wu at? I'm a little suspicious of Thack's syphilis cure working so seemingly perfectly, but I suppose we'll see more next week. I'm kinda of angry that his renewed drug addiction appears to have been largely ignored or unfazing, but I'm gonna put that down to lack of runtime in an already fairly dense episode. So I can't tell if Opal's adamant sticking with Algernon is truly vengeful love or she's conning him the same way she appears to have conned him into marriage in the first place, now that he's gotten some status in New York? Also, it seems pretty transparent with Cornelia staying at the Showalter's, the hubbie getting angry at being sent away, Cornelia essentially at home alone with the pervy Father in law. This all seems pre-planned, the hubbie may even be in on it (have they done this before? perhaps with other Showalter sons and their marriages?). Cornelia will totally take a shotgun to his face though if he tries anything, she's definitely the one woman on this show most likely to not go down without a fight. And of course we see the reason now for Opal's introduction to reverse the love triangle to point at Algernon instead of Cornelia. Opal is surprisingly astute in pointing out the limits of the Robertsons' "progressive" sensibilities. With that, the intrigue with the subway tunnels, and the financial disaster in the making that is the uptown kickback sponsored Knick, I could see this season ending with the Robertson family in tatters. Elkins to lead the push for women's lib, suffragette in the making? And the slow corruption of Bertie continues. Countdown how many episodes until he goes back to Thack to ask that he save his cancer ridden mother off the books? Gallinger continues to be cartoonishly evil (even if it's somewhat realistic for the time period), if it wasn't for his undying devotion to his wife he'd be utterly despicable. I see them setting him up for some serious redemption arc (I'd wager that it will end with his death by the end of next season given his characters pretty steep descent into amoral madness).

Some of the plotlines and characters continue to be a bit stereotypical and predictable, but it's all done with such charm and aplomb atop Soderbergh's continually masterful cinematography that I just don't care. On the same token, it's nice that it's become less the John Thackery power hour, and the extended cast feels like they're developing into actual ensemble costars instead of simple support characters. I continue my unabashed love for this show.

I wonder if it's her husband/ father-in-law or the city's political forces that are spying on Cornelia. Phillip certainly seemed suspicious and/or upset with her this episode.

Given the context of Algernon's warning last episode about not playing with the forces at work, it's gotta be related to whoever wanted Spate dead. It's the one thing so far this season that has come so far out of left field, I really have no idea where they're going with it. For bonus intrigue points and dramatic irony, I'd be willing to put money on it having to do with the Robertsons and backdoor dealing to secure their estate, though precisely how I can't even guess.

Best episode of the season so far. I love how Soderbergh continues his stylistic decision to focus the camera on just one person's face during conversational moments. Feels very voyeuristic. Case in point: Cornelia's facial reaction when she meets Algie's wife.
And you can tell Algie's wife deduces whats behind Nelia's expression right away.

Grizzlyjin

Also Zarrah Abrahams dominated each scene she was in. Hope she sticks around and gets more screen time.

Definitely. Didn't know how to feel about her character when she first appeared, but I'm definitely a fan after this episode.

Turin

Banned
RIP, Pervy Doc. ;_;7

And yeah, I loved how Zarrah's character just shut down everyone at the dinner table.

mm04

I laughed so hard when when the doc's face caught on fire. I had to re-watch it just to make sure I just witnessed that. When I paused it, it he looked like the Nazi's face melting on Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Why is nobody talking about the most important thing that happened in this episode?

Cornelia's husband is being sent right over by Lima, Ohio.

Is this show a Glee prequel?

Top Bottom