• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Knick - Season 2 - Fridays on Cinemax

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings (not that they matter all that much for this show):

Season 1:

Episode 1: 354K
Episode 2: 419K
Episode 3: 407K
Episode 4: 374K
Episode 5: 322K
Episode 6: 358K
Episode 7: 358K
Episode 8: 349K
Episode 9: 319K
Episode 10: 413K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 269K
Episode 2: 229K
Episode 3: 202K
Episode 4: 166K
Episode 5: 255K
Episode 6: 195K
Episode 7: 347K
Episode 8: 266K
Episode 9: 199K
Episode 10: 275K

UrbanRats

I liked the premiere.
I agree though, that Thack's recovery was brushed over a bit too quickly... then again, i doubt it'll be over here.

I liked the premiere.
I agree though, that Thack's recovery was brushed over a bit too quickly... then again, i doubt it'll be over here.

I thought so too, but then I remembered that he's a high functioning addict and he's just getting back to that stage.

His addiction is definitely still very much there,

Great episode! I just discovered that I have Cinemax for streaming as part of my internet! I have HBO and got hooked on season 1, so happy that I get to see season 2 now.

This is one of the best shows on right now, more people need to see it! They really need to move it to HBO, something more mainstream

Geist-

Cinemax is doing an amazing job with these shows lately. Banshee, Strike Back, and now The Knick (just started watching, already one of my favorites).

Out of curiosity, anyone knowledgeable in the area know how likely Edwards' will be able to recover? That kind of injury has to be career ending for a surgeon if it's permanent.

Rewatching season 1. I love how thematically dense this show is, theres just so much subtext boiling away in the plot. Race, identity, class, ethical issues, gender issues, show has a lot of shit going on. I like S1 better than S1 of any show minus the Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under and Sopranos.
Show has potential to be right up there with those all time classics. Its just expertly crafted.

Frost_Ace

Rewatching season 1. I love how thematically dense this show is, theres just so much subtext boiling away in the plot. Race, identity, class, ethical issues, gender issues, show has a lot of shit going on. I like S1 better than S1 of any show minus the Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under and Sopranos.
Show has potential to be right up there with those all time classics. Its just expertly crafted.
I don't think writing-wise the show gas reached "the greats" yet, let's see how this season goes. :)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

You're No Rose

Dr. Thackery makes a move to return to The Knick, which the board frowns upon; Cornelia gets Cleary to do a dirty job, but it comes with a cost; Robertson makes a push for a new subway initiative; Barrow drives up construction costs; and Lucy receives a surprise visitor from home.

ezekial45

Banned
Holy fuck, what an episode.

The
attempted eye surgery
was probably the most uncomfortable thing I've seen in this series yet. I mean, damn. That made me squirm.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
WTF @ that over eager old doctor and the prostitutes:

"I'll get some swabs for you"

"That's not necessary"

"Then how will you culture them?"

"Ah, a good nose and a pair of eyes are all a doctor needs to know what he's dealing with"

D:

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I was surprised to see that the health inspector was killed, and off screen to boot! I'm not sure if the show needs a murder mystery subplot, but I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Dat music while Lucy's father was preaching.

That entire (single take?) scene was absolutely riveting.

I was surprised to see that the health inspector was killed, and off screen to boot! I'm not sure if the show needs a murder mystery subplot, but I'm interested to see how it plays out.

That entire (single take?) scene was absolutely riveting.
It reminded me of the preacher madness of There Will Be Blood.
Easy to forget how common the spirit of revival was in turn of the century America.
I like that they're diving into that theme.
The actor himself plays the insufferable religious fanatic to perfection.
I like how Lucy appears mildly embarrassed when her dad starts speaking in tongues.

jett

D-Member
I've watched all sorts of gory and violent shit in my day, but I've never winced or grimaced at a movie or tv show until now. Jeezus.

Holy fuck, what an episode.

The
attempted eye surgery
was probably the most uncomfortable thing I've seen in this series yet. I mean, damn. That made me squirm.

That scene had me incredibly tense and squeamish

Great episode. Looks like Thackery is gonna get back on the drugs again to get his superpowers back :(

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Pervy Doctor cracked me up. It just kept ratcheting up in creepiness. Oh he seems really eager to help. Oh, he wants them to rest their legs on his shoulders...oh he's going to put his nose in her vagina.

The eye surgery freaked me out. I rarely have to look away from surgeries or anything like that, but I almost had to there. I was afraid Thackery was going to slip up and jam the scalpel in Edwards' eye. 👀

Saty

That's just the local anesthetic needle. They didn't continue the surgery because Thackery was getting weird.

ezekial45

Banned
Wait, that's it? Is that the squirmiest part of the whole procedure? Injecting the border between the orbit and the eyelid? I would've figured with an ophthalmologist as the show's "surgery expert consultant" (lol), depiction of any eye operation would've been fantastic.

Watch the episode.

My one complaint is how quickly San Fran seems to have been dropped. Hopefully Im speaking prematurely and theres a return to California, because I liked the woefully under-explored territory of the west coast Asian American turn of the century immigrant experience.

Wait, that's it? Is that the squirmiest part of the whole procedure? Injecting the border between the orbit and the eyelid? I would've figured with an ophthalmologist as the show's "surgery expert consultant" (lol), depiction of any eye operation would've been fantastic.

The tension is from Clive Owen's questionable ability to even perform the procedure, owing to his poor mental state and visibly shaky hands.

jerry113

Banned
My one complaint is how quickly San Fran seems to have been dropped. Hopefully Im speaking prematurely and theres a return to California, because I liked the woefully under-explored territory of the west coast Asian American turn of the century immigrant experience.

Right. The writers quickly shifted the story back to the status quo, which is somewhat disappointing.

Nevertheless I look forward to what's in store this season. But it's like they did a full reverse from the season 1 finale.

shira

ZHYLRYU.jpg

charm_smile.gif
Best fucking doctor ever
charm_smile.gif

Hesemonni

Banned
WTF @ that over eager old doctor and the prostitutes:

"I'll get some swabs for you"

"That's not necessary"

"Then how will you culture them?"

"Ah, a good nose and a pair of eyes are all a doctor needs to know what he's dealing with"

D:
That shit was hilarious. My new favorite doc!

Burt

Eyughhhh that eyeball scene was the hardest thing to watch since the first previa surgery that opened the show.

Top Bottom