• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of quality control on the Nintendo eShop is getting embarrassing

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Wii: "I can't believe Nintendo is so strict to indie developers on WiiWare! Why not let everybody on there?!"
Wii U: "You're letting everybody on there?!"

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't we say the amount about MS and Sony who allowed AssCreed Unity and MCC to be released?

Y'know, while I agree that those games are broken in some ways, they are not unplayable. Certainly not in the same league of terrible as with some of the examples in the OP.

Mononoke

Banned
Wii: "I can't believe Nintendo is so strict to indie developers on WiiWare! Why not let everybody on there?!"
Wii U: "You're letting everybody on there?!"

Why can't their be a middle ground? Why is it always extremes. All or nothing.

ClearData

Who is running point for eshop content over at Nintendo? I remember they lost their indie guy awhile ago. I wish Nintendo went for broke for indie guys because Sony has shown if you want a flow of content on your platform you need those developers.

GulAtiCa

I've never understood this mentality. Raising awareness for something awful does not mean I am advocating for everybody to go download Meme Runner. That being said, there are plenty of great games on the eShop that don't get the attention they deserve.

Of course, but when a game is known to be that bad, people will start to get curious and want to check it out themselves. Kinda like Bad Rats Steam game. Look at The Letter. It kept have $0.49 sales, so everyone kept buying it to see if it truely was that bad. Obviously raising awareness of horrible games to warn people is always a good idea. Though sometimes like this is also slightly backfires and helps promote them. Meme Run seems like it was made specifically just to be so bad that it advertises itself.

Sify64

I've never understood this mentality. Raising awareness for something awful does not mean I am advocating for everybody to go download Meme Runner. That being said, there are plenty of great games on the eShop that don't get the attention they deserve.
You are doing exactly what these developers want .. Free promotion through controversy. It really does work based on what I have seen and I'm honestly shocked.

tebunker

Banned
If it's intentionally bad, why is it allowed on the eShop?

Who's the judge and jury here? Again should Nintendo decide even more so than they already do, what you can and cannot buy?

I think you are grossly overstating the I pact of these "bad" games. The market will ultimately decide if they give money to something or not.

You do realize that if Ninjapig had access to a PS4 dev kit they'd probably put their game there too. The web frame work has enabled some more questionable games, but it's not the platform holders job to tell us if something is bad.

JazzmanZ

It's not like PSN, Xbox Live and Steam are exempt from this either, anybody can submit something to the eshop even if the game was made in literally 10 minutes. It's just that most people have a brain and make at least some effort into what they make.

Mononoke

Banned
Who's the judge and jury here? Again should Nintendo decide even more so than they already do, what you can and cannot buy?

I think you are grossly overstating the I pact of these "bad" games. The market will ultimately decide if they give money to something or not.

You do realize that if Ninjapig had access to a PS4 dev kit they'd probably put their game there too. The web frame work has enabled some more questionable games, but it's not the platform holders job to tell us if something is bad.

Isn't it their platform? Don't they have a right to decide? I dunno. When a consumer buys a platform, you kind of buy it knowing that there are things the platform does that you have no say in. So you choose whether you want to buy into that platform based on how the company does business. It's no different then Steam, Apple, or any other major platform.

Companies have a right to decide what content they are going to allow on it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I'm just sayin', deciding people can buy Meme Run but not The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is fucking insane.

Haunted

I see your point, but the garbage you linked in the OP looks like absolute shit even on a casual glance. For trash of this tier, there's no further awareness needed. Only if a game looks like shit but is actually interesting does it make more sense to talk about it (like that goty420blazeit shooter people have been talking about a couple weeks ago).

Conversely, if you want to warn others of garbage, there are better targets - games that look interesting/promising/competent on first glance but are actually bad (think AC Unity or something).

As long as the reviewers are also putting reviews on the eshop, I don't really have a problem. If you really are in the mood to randomly buy a title off of the eshop without checking reviews online, I would hope at least the terrible eshop ratings would give you pause.

It is sad if Nintendo is giving front page space or tweets to promote terrible games though.

Tabris

It's not like PSN, Xbox Live and Steam are exempt from this either, anybody can submit something to the eshop even if the game was made in literally 10 minutes. It's just that most people have a brain and make at least some effort into what they make.

I've never seen anything like this on consoles.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm just sayin', deciding people can buy Meme Run but not The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is fucking insane.

An eshop release of Isaac has been teased for a while now. Wait until the exclusivity deal with Sony ends before claiming that Nintendo has blocked the game.

Nintendo's plan is to allow everything to get on the store as long as they follow the guidelines. They'll give front page coverage to stand out titles while leaving the mediocre ones to rot in a hidden off section. Doesn't work out well when people go put of their way to promote games like meme run "it's so bad, lol, look at this guys".
Why can't their be a middle ground? Why is it always extremes. All or nothing.
I guess after Wiiware they needed to do something to show they changed. Going to the opposite extrem worked out and the eShop actually gets pretty good support even if they get a shitty title every once in awhile.

E-phonk

Banned

That was in 2011-2012 - when Nintendo was still very strict about what kind of games it allowed on the eShop. This changed in '13 and the games in the OP are (part of) the result... Latest rumours are that the binding of Isaac is being ported to 3DS/Wii U afaik.

Mononoke

Banned
Nintendo's plan is to allow everything to get on the store as long as they follow the guidelines. They'll give front page coverage to stand out titles while leaving the mediocre ones to rot in a hidden off section. Doesn't work out well when people go put of their way to promote games like meme run "it's so bad, lol, look at this guys".

I guess after Wiiware they needed to do something to show they changed. Going to the opposite extrem worked out and the eShop actually gets pretty good support even if they get a shitty title every once in awhile.

Fair enough. I just wonder why people have to be all or nothing. One or the other. Why their can't be some restrictions, but not as over bearing (not as crazy as before). It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Wouldn't be so glaring if the Wii U had a constant stream of game releases. These days you're either going to get a really good first party game every now and then or a very bad indie download every now and then. Not much middle ground which sadly reflects a majority of people's viewpoints these days.

"browser quality games"

What the fuck does that even mean? As if a game being playable on a browser automatically made games worse.

Indie does not equal Nintendo made. There are some serious unrealistic expectations if X Type is supposed to be Star Fox lol

Grym

I don't think the Seal of Quality was ever about how good a game was. Wasn't it just tested to ensure it worked on the system? It stated the product was an officially licensed product rather than unlicensed crap some dude made at home for fun. There are plenty of shitty officially licensed games on the NES that had the Seal of Quality.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've seen some of these same developers using the reasoning for releasing games as "helping Nintendo" instead of making a good game. Nintendo needs to show it doesn't need this kind of help.

As long as the reviewers are also putting reviews on the eshop, I don't really have a problem. If you really are in the mood to randomly buy a title off of the eshop without checking reviews online, I would hope at least the terrible eshop ratings would give you pause.

It is sad if Nintendo is giving front page space or tweets to promote terrible games though.
rZcip8C.png

Durante

Fuck quality control. The last thing I want is a platform owner deciding which games I want to play. While these examples are obviously garbage, highly curated stores are virtually guaranteed to miss out on excellent, lesser known games.

Release everything and let the storefront and community sort it out.
Indeed. A good system will be able to offer everything and still allow you to discover great games you want to play.

Indie does not equal Nintendo made. There are some serious unrealistic expectations if X Type is supposed to be Star Fox lol

XType+, by the way, is quite a good game, a prime example of Nintendo Web Framework game done right. But, as far as we see, it is the only good thing that came from the idea of this framework (well, Mario vs Donkey Kong Wii U seems to be based on it too).

sörine

Banned
I don't see this as a bad thing. Nintendo allowing total freedom within basic QA lotcheck, a very low barrier to entry for developers and no segregation from traditional developers are all good things. It's something all console makers should be doing, and in the future they probably will be doing if they want to keep putting out hardware.

We've come a long way from days of Reggie saying they don't want garage developers.

It makes sense to have games like that on a platform like ios or steam, where there is a flood of games, but when I log into the eshop it is a trickle and it is so obvious which few games shouldn't be there.

I'm still genuinely curious as to which good/great games didn't receive a push on the front page because they were crowded out by bad ones.

Someone should load up the eShop and post screenshots of what is currently being advertised.

Mononoke

Banned
So is Transformers, but that still gets shown in theatres.

Are you comparing the two? Because Transformers takes a lot of work to make. Whatever criticisms we have about it, it's a full production. This is not. It's clearly made to game the system, and is done with bad intentions.

The only thing I'll agree on, is that ultimately, consumers have to inform themselves. And ultimately, they can choose to buy this or not. But looking at this from Nintendo's perspective, as a platform brand, it is still kind of embarrassing.

Qassim

As long as consumers aren't being scammed and there are mechanisms to react to any malicious activity, I'm fine marketplaces being flooded with shovel-ware. It doesn't negatively affect how I use the Apple App Store, or Google Play, or Steam, or any other similar services with lots of games on it.

The fact that shovel-ware is available on these platforms doesn't in anyway compel me to buy it anymore than it would otherwise.

Mononoke

Banned
Just because it takes a lot of work to make doesnt mean the end product is any good.

Not saying it is. But it's still an effort with an intention. These games are made just to abuse the system, and to try to make money off people that don't know any better.

Yeah, I edited my post. I've always thought Transformers were shit though. No doubt. But they are still a full on production, and still have some intentions to make an actual product. I just don't see that in some of these games. This seems like doing the minimal effort to try to trick people into spending cash. I dunno.

As long as consumers aren't being scammed and there are mechanisms to react to any malicious activity, I'm fine marketplaces being flooded with shovel-ware. It doesn't negatively affect how I use the Apple App Store, or Google Play, or Steam, or any other similar services with lots of games on it.

The fact that shovel-ware is available on these platforms doesn't in anyway compel me to buy it anymore than it would otherwise.

Cubed3 said:
The cost of this game is $1.99, yet users on Miiverse still feel ripped off. Eli Brewer had originally promised free updates, but has since gone silent, leaving all his customers feeling very disgruntled. As to why Brewer would release the game in this state instead of completing it first, alludes to the possibility he has no intention of completing The Letter. The game is punctuated by an ending that completely betrays and grates on the audience, delivered in the clumsiest way since the movie Monster a Go-Go. The Indiegogo campaign for The Letter began on March 5th, 2014, but got closed March 20th, only earning $377 for its $5,000 goal. Judging by the pitch video that was first shown as early as March 5th, the final product looks identical to the pitch that was used for the Indiegogo campaign. Eli Brewer is a hack fraud, con artist and his game is a scam.

atr0cious

Are you comparing the two? Because Transformers takes a lot of work to make. Whatever criticisms we have about it, it's a full production. This is not. It's clearly made to game the system, and is done with bad intentions.

Wait, so Transformers 2, the movie with a script written over the weekend to avoid the writers strike is a full product?

If someone makes something, and you don't like it, don't buy it. Sometimes capitalism sucks, but that's the way it works. And who knows, the meme developer could be working on something big later in his future and put it on a Nintendo system, just because Nintendo allowed them the freedom the first time. I mean if Hello Games can go from making that Joe Danger series to No Man's Sky, maybe this dev can go from a few early games, to something maybe you might even want to play.

Top Bottom