• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of quality control on the Nintendo eShop is getting embarrassing

Robin64

Here's the thing, the cheap and easy entry Nintendo have for Wii U development is still several thousand dollars. A tactic I see a few people employ is to release some basic quick "cash grab" games early on to cover the development cost, at which point they can work on something bigger and potentially better.

MilesTeg

Banned
Well developers set their own sales.

I'm aware of that. Just saying, that's a lot more than 3 poor games (which is what some in this topic are claiming), and that's just one section of the eShop. A section that many will check out given it's category and it's largely filled with garbage. That's the kind of software that is being featured every single week in the sales section.

You got terrible games priced at 99 cents. You got terrible games priced at fucking $30 and "on sale" for $10. It's pretty damn ugly if you ask me.

atbigelow

Nintendo you're not open enough!!!
Nintendo you're too open!!!

Their policies are far better than they used to be. In the current landscape, Binding of Isaac is most assuredly welcome. You have to take the good with the bad.

Mononoke

Banned
Wait, so Transformers 2, the movie with a script written over the weekend to avoid the writers strike is a full product?

If someone makes something, and you don't like it, don't buy it. Sometimes capitalism sucks, but that's the way it works. And who knows, the meme developer could be working on something big later in his future and put it on a Nintendo system, just because Nintendo allowed them the freedom the first time. I mean if Hello Games can go from making that Joe Danger series to No Man's Sky, maybe this dev can go from a few early games, to something maybe you might even want to play.

Yeah it is. Do you know how much work goes into making a film? Even one with CGI?

I mean I am by no means suggesting Transformers is a fine product on the levels of other products. I don't know why people think I'm arguing that. But it's surely more of an effort then Meme run. Even ignoring the two mediums and budget, there is a clear difference between the two in terms of production (again within the scope of their medium/budget) and intention.

It just kind of ruins what I was typing up in a response when your comments changed and then the lack of will for me to change my response kicks in and here we are.

That's fair.

OnPoint

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

This is the drawback of a more open marketplace. Those saying you should just vote with your wallets are right -- don't buy the games that look bad. It will discourage "developers" from continuing to pump out garbage if their goal is to make a quick buck. It won't stop those that are doing it "just for the lols", but them's the breaks.

Of course, Nintendo needs to be curating their front page better, and they need to be encouraging better quality devs to release their games there so they don't have to highlight whatever comes out that week just because that's all their is to highlight. Give the bigger or higher profile indie games a reason to come and they will. The eShop is actually a healthy place to release a game.

They need to hire a Dan Adelman replacement ASAP, and let that person actually do some work on the catalog. But without someone steering the ship(shop) they're going to sail just as aimlessly as many of these games are created.

Also, I'm no fan of NintendoLife, but to those who are saying things like "good on the dev for firing back", I don't get your position. It's a site with the mission of reviewing games. If they provided an honest review of a game, it doesn't matter if it's positive or negative, the dev shouldn't be trying to throw them under the bus. Don't create some kind of narrative where the integrity of the review should come into question unless there is proof to back it up. They're free to disagree, but doing so civilly is the way to do it. Then again, you often see this from devs of this style and quality of game, so, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

Robin64

sörine;144411385 said:
There are other examples of good or promising web framework games too (Chosmochoria, Zacisa's Last Stand, Ubie Remix, Twisted Fusion, etc). Not to mention apps like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, SDK Paint or Wii Street U.

Oh indeed, it was just the first one to hand.

It's just amusing how people have this thing that NWF = bad. It's just a tool.

The retail section?
Playstation Mobile and Xbox Indie Games.
Nice try though, even the bad retail games still cost money to publish.

But there were some fantastic Xbox Indie Games and some utterly dire Xbox Live Arcade games. Not really a good measure here.
True, but I rather eShop at least separate games that were free to publish on eShop versus those that had some costs.

Something like Steam's Greenlight system could be nice for Wii U. Then only games people voted for would be in the shop.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The Seal of Quality just means game x will work on console y. It was never used as a quality measure on software, if it was then you wouldn't have seen crap games on old Nintendo hardware.

I'd rather they developers release their games on the store, even if they're not good, than let higher ups dictate what stays and what goes on the eShop.

My last point is the best point. If you don't have to buy any of those bad games, why do you care? You can generally tell when a game is going to be horrible from a quick video, you're not being forced to buy the garbage, so who cares?

atr0cious

Yeah it is. Do you know how much work goes into making a film? Even one with CGI?

I mean I am by no means suggesting Transformers is a fine product on the levels of other products. I don't know why people think I'm arguing that. But it's surely more of an effort then Meme run. Even ignoring the two mediums and budget, there is a clear difference between the two in terms of production (again within the scope of their medium/budget) and intention.

IF we're going to compare Hollywood production budget to indie budget, then even Shovel Knight is lacking. This is all about proportion and the fact that you don't know the full intent of these releases as both Robin and I have touched on. The creator has every right to put out a "broken" project, and the market will decide if it is successful.

Altima

This makes every games in eshop that I do not know look like very bad quality games.

If they accidently include a good game that I do not know in those piles of garbage I will judge it as a shit game instantly.

Imagine that you do not know Isaac rebirth before and see it on eshop among those piles of shit you will think that it is shit game as well. (Actually, it is.)

I mean I am by no means suggesting Transformers is a fine product on the levels of other products. I don't know why people think I'm arguing that. But it's surely more of an effort then Meme run. Even ignoring the two mediums and budget, there is a clear difference between the two in terms of production (again within the scope of their medium/budget) and intention. .

Quasi-related anecdote:
I was a movie projectionist when Transformers 2 released and I built the film and then ran it to check everything was gravy. The script was so shitty I had an actual moment of panic midway through the movie because I thought I might have mixed up the reels.

But yeah, the production values pumped into it still elevate if on some level over something like the games this thread is criticizing. At the same time, money doesn't make shit stop smelling, it only makes it shinier.

Hale-XF11

Not surprising, since the eshop mostly consists of 4th rate, throwaway mobile games that cost 5x more than they do anywhere else. It's been that way for some time now.

OnPoint

This make every games in eshop that I do not know look like shit.

If they accidently include a good game that I do not know in those piles of garbage I will judge it as a shit game instantly.

Imagine that you do not know Isaac rebirth before and see it on eshop among those piles of shit you will think that it is shit game as well. (Actually, it is.)

Imagine that Nintendo would be aware of the independent games coming out on their system and produce some sort of promotional video to highlight notable upcoming releases, possibly even on the front of the storefront.

Imagine that the developers of these games would release honest and comprehensive or interesting trailers themselves, or contact and/or websites and Youtube personalities with information about their upcoming releases.

DR2K

Banned
It seems to be an industry thing. From AAA to indie. Release a broken turd and shine it as much as you can with patches. I imagine releasing patches isn't a cheap process on the Eshop.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If this is the result of a more open marketplace, then by all means close it back up again. This garbage is on par with those amatuer games I've seen on XBLA.

Renzoku

Banned
Remember how the last time jackasses were allowed to run free with shovelware it caused the entire market to crash, and prompted Nintendo to bring in the Nintendo Seal of Quality?

History, blah blah, repeating itself, blah blah.

Beggars can't be choosers ;)

But in all seriousness, I don't have anything against poor titles being on an online store, but I do have an issue with discoverability of games I might be interested becoming worse due to it.

Robin64

It seems to be an industry thing. From AAA to indie. Release a broken turd and shine it as much as you can with patches. I imagine releasing patches isn't a cheap process on the Eshop.

It's actually pretty damn cheap. :)

GulAtiCa

This indie program may lead to some pretty bad games. But also leads to developers, like me, who are now able to give the game world a chance and release a game.

On one hand it's good that they are this accepting to new developers. You never know who are up-and-coming and there have been some quality indie exclusives like Armillo on the eShop. However, these young developers barely hitting 20 years of age seeing using the platform for their mediocre crap is quite embarrassing. Meme Run, The Letter... Don't these people have dignity? I can't actually blame Nintendo, if they started to deny projects all hell would break loose once one of them starts complaining. Like the The Binding of Isaac developer, who btw keeps on posting hints and teases of development for Nintendo platforms even though he was very vocal about his denial earlier.

What do you want them to do? They have accepted the worst of the worst shovelware on the Wii as physical releases, if they put up a selective shield for the eShop you know it's going to lead to negative publicity.

There is certainly an issue of how these games are being promoted if drivel like this is getting ad space on the front page.

I'm prone to generally believe that it's better to be more lenient about game releases than less, though. It's the same thing as Steam - it's less a problem of having too many bad games and more an issue of not having systems to parse through the games to get the good ones.

The retail section?

0uPypjt.gif

Orca

Fuck quality control. The last thing I want is a platform owner deciding which games I want to play. While these examples are obviously garbage, highly curated stores are virtually guaranteed to miss out on excellent, lesser known games.

Release everything and let the storefront and community sort it out.

That only works if there's actually a quality way to sort the crap from the good.

The truly shocking thing here is that the Meme Run guys are asking 5 dollars for that crap, at least Silver Dollar Games only asked 1 for their crap games.

Top Bottom