• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us crashing phat PS3s.

Facism

the only issue i've actually been having with tlou is occasionally it seems like my HDMI feed cuts out and then cuts back in again. Happens maybe once an hour in singleplayer, multiplayer is not effected.

Yeah, I got through the game 3 times to completion without a crash. My system was vertical, in an air-conditioned room with a REVERSED ceiling fan above it to pull heat away from the floor.

Multiplayer was great for a while (Level 60, so I put in some time), but now I can't get through a single match without getting the green blobs or graphics lock-up.

Ordered the coffin. Getting it repaired.
Are other games giving you the green blobs as well?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I played this game for about 15 hours straight on my 80gb phat, fans got loud as fuck but it never died. On the plus side the fans working as hard as they did dusted my ps3 out and now with all my other games the fans don't kick in as hard anymore :D

imo this game has some software problem that causes a crash on fat ps3.

It's not overheating as I played it for 6 hours straight and even more and it wouldn't crash.

BUT then i turn on the console and in the second multiplayer match POOF! shutdown.

The fans were on medium. The system wasn't even that hot.

Not to mention I opened my ps3 and arctic cooling mx-4'd it on the first crash

It's a TLOU thing which i'm not keen ND can fix, i'm pretty sure of it.

All phats die. The fact the people still have some phats is impressive actually but it means either (a) it's about to or (b) you haven't used it that much.

ND's engines are just extremely taxing (as are SSMs) on the old girls.

It's not a software problem. Three playthroughs and it never hiccuped once for me.

All phats die. The fact the people still have some phats is impressive actually but it means either (a) it's about to or (b) you haven't used it that much.

I have a 40GB, from day one. I also game on it non-stop with consecutive hours throughout all the years. I just feel as I take care of it pretty damn well. Heh. :3

ND's engines are just extremely taxing (as are SSMs) on the old girls.

It's not a software problem. Three playthroughs and it never hiccuped once for me.

it's a software problem combined with the specific hardware.

No other game. Literally. NO OTHER game crashes my ps3.

And overheat with medium fans is out of the question.

Yes, my ps3 can put the fans on turbo, the heat sensor is fine.

I've got a PS3 slim & the game froze up on me in two different spots in the game. At the first spot, the game froze as soon as my save file loaded & I'd go to switch weapons (it was an area filled with clickers). It did it everytime until I decided not to switch weapons but to run away & change tactic. It was very frustrating.

The other time was in one of the snow filled levels.

Great game but I think it could've done with more testing.

Shinjiru

I have a 60GB launch PS3 and I just finished my third playthrough of TLoU this week. The game definitely gives the fan a workout, but I'm not having any problems with the game.

Sorry to hear about those that are having trouble. I had my share of problems with my first couple of 360's. There's a handful of games I still want to play on my PS3 before the year is out, so I hope it keeps going.

KOHIPEET

Damn! It just crashed mine :(. It's my good old 60's second time. First Uncharted 3 and now TLOU.

Sad thing, I couldn't finish the campaign.

Marvel

could never
I just bought a used 80GB phat from eBay so I really hope when I come to play TLOU in a couple weeks it doesn't kill it. It was refurbished lol...

£35 though, had to take a gamble at that price. Played Dark Souls all night last night and it was fine.

Blinck

I have a 60gb fatty and the game never crashed.

However, the loading time the first time the game loads is extremely long. Sometimes I think that it is not actually gonna boot up, but then it does. Once in the game everything runs fine, although the PS3 gets noisy.

Also: In the first winter level in the Dam, there is a lot, and I mean a lot of texture streaming delays. Some textures won't even load sometimes. Is this normal? This happens mostly in this level.

I just bought a used 80GB phat from eBay so I really hope when I come to play TLOU in a couple weeks it doesn't kill it. It was refurbished lol...

£35 though, had to take a gamble at that price. Played Dark Souls all night last night and it was fine.

Wow a working PS3 for £35, that's a steal.

I assume you didn't leave Boston yet. Because some of the latter parts smoke Uncharted. But I had no issues with my phatty <3

finished the bill part. what looked pretty good. but environments -especially texture/material work- dont look anywhere near uncharted 3 or 2. im pretty sure thats not just mental window-dressing, cause i just started TLoU a day after finishing UC3.

maybe something to do with the global Illumination tech, but then again UC3 did use that too, didnt it?

Artorias

Banned
I have a super slim from March and it locked on me twice, and had other issues that made me restart several other times.

Sucks that it seems to be taking out some old systems, if that is the case. I never had a BC PS3 so I've been trading fairly often since PS+ came along with the cloud saves. Honestly, my super slim gets crazy hot. I can't really remember if my fat was any better, but I don't like how hot the super slim gets compared to slim.

I have a super slim from March and it locked on me twice, and had other issues that made me restart several other times.

Sucks that it seems to be taking out some old systems, if that is the case. I never had a BC PS3 so I've been trading fairly often since PS+ came along with the cloud saves. Honestly, my super slim gets crazy hot. I can't really remember if my fat was any better, but I don't like how hot the super slim gets compared to slim.
Do you have pets and or a hoover?

Xenex

I have a 40GB phat PS3 'Made in China' model so it normally sounds like a jet engine about to take off if I play for a hour or so (my gaming session are ALOT longer than that). Anyway when playing TLoU my PS3 fans went into some kind of hyper mode, I had to stop playing and move the PS3 out from my cabinet and onto the floor to give it as much ventilation as possible. That helped a bit but it still felt like I was playing Russian Roulette with my PS3's life. Thankfully I was able to complete the game with the PS3 intact, still got more games to play before the PS4.

Shady859

My full BC 80gb fat from year 1 is still going on strong as ever although I juggle HD space since adding PS+. Not a single problem with TLoU besides a non game killing very late blue screen that went away. Horizontal and lived on a wide open glass shelf it's entire life FWIW.

finished the bill part. what looked pretty good. but environments -especially texture/material work- dont look anywhere near uncharted 3 or 2. im pretty sure thats not just mental window-dressing, cause i just started TLoU a day after finishing UC3.

maybe something to do with the global Illumination tech, but then again UC3 did use that too, didnt it?
I think it mostly has to do with outsourcing. The Last of Us has way more environments and assets then every Uncharted on its own. Maybe even as much as two of them combined. The amount of detail is just retarded at points. You will see this soon enough. No other game in the world comes even remotely close (no hyperbole) and I say this as someone who has problems with the game. It's so lengthy too. Therefore it doesn't surprise me they used a lot of outsourcing, which probably explains why it looks a bit uneven at times. Memory constraints do the rest.

But in terms of graphics, I would say that the intro looks nice, Boston is absolutely the worst looking part of the game, Bill is pretty good again. Next you reach Pittsburgh, which looks a bit boring again, but it has some highlights. After that (roughly 60% in) it will get better and better till the end. Some of the vistas closer to the end look absolutely gorgeous, you will see.

IrishNinja

pardon the bump

okay, so TLOU worked on my near-launch 60 GB unit for all of a few hours (laggy cutscenes/audio and framerate drops) before killing it entirely; the sony rep manager said there was no correlation because "it's a popular game; if a new COD was out, people would blame that."

7 weeks later (...) i got my refurb 230 GB slim, which sometimes mimics the old unit with slight lag on the OS level but otherwise it was fine, marathon'd TLOU last night with no troubles. i go back today, and the exact same issue is happening: cutscene lag, framerate drops. im cleaning the disc, looking to leave the system off for a while to cool down etc but i really don't know what else to do here, kinda debating returning this unit but if it happens again (especially with just this game) i seriously don't know what to do.

Spooka

I've put at least 70 hours in on a launch 20 gig and only had one mp freeze, which oddly also froze my friends system as well. I assumed that was just a bug since we both got the hard lock freeze at exactly the same moment. He was on a launch 60 gig.

Wasp

I own a 40GB 2008 phat PS3 and have put about 40 hours into the game. Haven't had one freeze or any major issues. Worst thing that happened is the enemies were unable to move from their starting positions on two occasions until they spotted me.

Not related to The Last of Us because I didn't try it but I've noticed with some games my PS3 runs like shit when it's downloading something, for example loading times slow down significantly. For example doors take a while to open in Arkham Asylum instead of straight away when downloading something and games such as Dead Nation or Deathspank take ages to boot to title screen, and Scott Pilgrim is much more liable to freezing.

Superflat

I have a phat from the MGS bundle and I've poured tons of hours into TLOU. I feel bad because ever since I got it I've pretty much abused it: leaving it on for days, never dusting it, moving it around, etc. I DO get graphical artifacts while playing TLOU, occasionally. Sometimes the screen flashes white for a frame, sometimes I see dots appear, etc. ME3 and Human Revolution had similar weird graphical shit happen that isn't supposed to be there when playing on my PS3.

I was sure it was going croak but it's still going strong. Plays most other games well too. I definitely need to throw this one away and get a slim though. One day.

taizuke

80 GB fat PS3 refurbished. 5 whole playthroughs and it only froze once (Near the end where there's
two bloaters and a bunch of clickers/runners)
. I think it also froze on me throughout both Hunter/Firefly journeys but only twice.

I had no troubles with a near launch PS3.

However you could tell TLOU was flogging the shit out of it, so I'm not surprised people are having problems. If your PS3 is about to die, this game would probably do it.

I expect GTA5 will do much the same thing.

Minions

since when?

http://www.retra.co.uk/?page_id=74

Note:
Life expectancy is the length of time a product would reasonably be expected to be able to be economically repaired or where the spare parts are available. Some cosmetic parts may not be available for the same period of time as functional parts. It does not imply that goods should function for a given period of time without going wrong or that the repairer should not make a reasonable charge for a repair.

Small appliances
Mobile phones, MP3-players, irons, kettles, hair dryers etc. 2 &#8211; 3 years

Medium Size Appliances
Cleaners, refrigerators and freezers, spin and tumble dryers, microwave ovens 3 &#8211; 6 years

Larger Appliances
Electric Cookers, 5 &#8211; 10 years
Fridge/Freezer, 3-6 years
Dishwashers, washing machines, 3 &#8211; 6 years
Low priced portable CTVs 2 &#8211; 5 years
Higher priced non-portable CTVs 4 &#8211; 8 years
Low priced DVD player/recorder 2 &#8211; 5 years
Higher priced DVD player/recorder 5 &#8211; 8 years
Low priced Hi-Fi Systems 2 &#8211; 5 years
Higher priced Hi-Fi systems 5 &#8211; 8 years

IT Hardware
Desktops 3-4 years
Laptops 2-3 years
Tablets 2-3 years

By no means is this a fact; just one list of estimates among many.... but yeah. I'd consider the PS3~ a "desktop" class hardware due to the components within and how hot it gets, but again, these are estimates. It could be higher could be lower. I generally expect around 6~ years out of any console I purchase.

IrishNinja

eh, i guess...its just, before this gen, i think i had some faulty PS1's die on me, that's it. this time, both my 360 & PS3 died, and my wii was troubled...i get that they're a great deal more complicated than my classic machines but at least those were reliable, this shit having a series of expiration dates feels crappily made, especially for the premium price.

Top Bottom