• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us crashing phat PS3s.

The Future

Neo Member
Finished the game today with an 80 gb fatty with bc. Had no issues even with the last stretch of about 6 hours of non stop playtime.

Tonguer

3 hrs in, 3 crashes so far on my PS3 slim. 2 were on standard game loads, one was after falling through the world and dying (which may have also been on a game load, I suppose).

Speaks volumes of the content that I am still loving it despite the issues.

Sobriquet

One freeze so far; sounds like a jet engine. 80GB (MGS4 bundle), playing off of a disc. About three hours of play between my wife and I. *crosses fingers*

Finished the game today with an 80 gb fatty with bc. Had no issues even with the last stretch of about 6 hours of non stop playtime.

Same here. Rented the game at midnight yesterday and finished it a few hours ago. My PS3 didn't even get too loud. I was amazed.

antti-la

40Gb EU fatty. Console was basically on for the whole time I played the game, so over the weekend. No crashes, not even did the fans go crazy loud.

spwolf

One freeze so far; sounds like a jet engine. 80GB (MGS4 bundle), playing off of a disc. About three hours of play between my wife and I. *crosses fingers*

clean your console now

vacuum it...whenever it sounds like jet, fans are blocked by dust.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
just another instance of causation does not imply correlation

its unlikely there is something inherently that the game does to older ps3s. just simply that this game does a much better job at optimizing cpu and gpu cycles, disc access, hdd read/write cycles and those older consoles probably have thermal paste thats drying out and summer temperatures are now creeping upwards.

its just all those combining factors which are causing hardware related failures.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Summer + Hot system + Game that pushes the limits = Hot Hot Hot

I lost a 60GB PS3 two years after I bought it. I have a refurbished one, but I don't think I'll be playing this game any time soon.

Shantom

I started playing the Last of Us 20 minutes ago on my 40GB PS3. It is now up to 37% loaded.

Edit: Just as I post this the loading times accelerate. It's been stuck on loading- 100% for a full minute now though.
Edit 2: Still stuck at 100%. Fuck this.

mario_O

Phat PS3 40gb model from 2008, had no problems but the fans do go wild after an hour of playtime, same with the uncharted's.

R-User!

If you put a bowl of ice and a small table fan blowing at the ice towards the main vents, do you think that cold air would help?

Completed the game without issue on a 60GB original PS3 (larger hard drive now, but still...). The fans did kick up, but they kick up for anything now (including PS2 games), so it wasn't any different than before.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I started playing the Last of Us 20 minutes ago on my 40GB PS3. It is now up to 37% loaded.

Edit: Just as I post this the loading times accelerate. It's been stuck on loading- 100% for a full minute now though.

Sometimes mine would load to 35-ish and then go back to 0... and then start the loading again

Balb

I have a 60GB original PS3 and I haven't had any crashes yet (about 5-6 hours in). The console sounds like a jet engine though and I had to turn subtitles on as a result.

so1337

My replacement 60GB fat (which is my second PS3) has been very reliable. No problems with running Last of Us so far.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
It crashed mine once. I heard the audio for a cutscenes but the screen was black. The the cutscene played in fast motion. Textures stopped loading and everything went black. Couldn't exit it out or anything, had to do a hard reset. That was the first time playing the game and it has worked perfectly ever since.

40GB Phat from 2008, 18 hours, not a single crash or graphical anomaly. Fan is quiet and it never changes in intensity. I did clean out and remove/re-apply thermal paste on my system about half a year ago, though.

I have a launch day 60gig, never locked up through my play through or ever, not a single ounce of crap all these years, I call her my sweet Jezabell....

Phenomic

So yeah my ps3 disc drive died for the third time... and I got 60% done.

So I've been wanting to play and finish the game up for a while now while I wait on my repairs.

Friend has a Japanese Phat 20 gig I think. I put in game in. I walk up to the first enemy to strangle him and it automatically shuts off..

I cannot win. Somebody help me... lol god (luckily Sony is fixing it for free this time because of how much a problem this has been for me. So major props to them there)

Jedi2016

Slim 1 console here, no issues so far. Played for a few hours last night. Actually, I can't even hear it, although I can assume the fan's going overboard (i.e. "doing its job"), based on the comments.

Ace 8095

I played 8 hours straight yesterday and it didn't crash. I warned my friend before I borrowed his phat that this might be the game to do it in, but so far no issues aside from it producing as much heat as a space heater.

Shady859

Yall got me worried! I have a old school 80gb from year one.. No problems yet but only 30ish% in, haven't had chance to play much. :(

Edit: well early replies lol this page looks better!

I have a launch day 60gig, never locked up through my play through or ever, not a single ounce of crap all these years, I call her my sweet Jezabell....

Fist bump,day one of the 80gb late in launch year. I have a friend who goes through consoles like no tomorrow. He's on like 4 or 5 now all bought new and he doesn't even watch blurays in them, just games and netflix.. Mines a game player, pc media center, dvds blu beater!

Defuser

Nope, the new sony firmware still doesn't fix this issue. My ps3 still crashes even in MP.

Man fuck you Naughty Dog, why are't you guys responding nor doing anything to fix this problem?

TedNindo

I bought the game and when I wanted to try it my PS3 was yellow lighting before I even put the disk in. So I put the motherboard in an oven at 200°c for a few minutes. Haven't had any problems running the game so far. No crashes or bugs or anything. I've even started replaying it after I completed it. And I'm taking my sweet time going through it.

It's a launch fat btw.

Maybe it has learned its lesson now that I've punished it with some heat.

macewank

I've got a 60GB fat launch model and my game never crashed.

There were a few times where I died and it played the little cutscene/sequence things where there was no textures or models in the scene, just a grey background. That was kind of weird, but the game itself never crashed.

FaintDeftone

I have a 40GB phat model (with a 320GB hdd swapped in) and I played through the entire game and about a couple hours of multiplayer and not a single lock up. Initial load times are dog shit though.

Top Bottom