• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us crashing phat PS3s.

Flo_Evans

conan-the-barbarian-20091111043605358.jpg

If it dies, it dies.

lmao.

I want mine to at least survive for GT6 :(

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I wonder how well Sony refurbs the phattys they send out for replacement. Like I wonder if they change out the fan motor and freshen up the thermal paste.

leng jai

I wonder how well Sony refurbs the phattys they send out for replacement. Like I wonder if they change out the fan motor and freshen up the thermal paste.

I was always under the impression that when companies say refurb they basically mean lol second hand here you go.

How many of these people updated to 4.45?

For all we know thats the real culprit.

If the game requires a certain firmware, normally it won't run until you update.

I have a launch 60GB, no crashes so far. But that autosave thing is annoying me. Any time I try to save, I have to wait through 20 - 30 seconds of "Autosave still in progress" before the normal PS3 save interface comes up.

Darkangel

My fat NA 80GB PS3 started showing graphical glitches than shut down due to overheating.

Uncharted 3 did the same thing (graphical glitches) but it never crashed the console.

I'm pretty disappointed about this.

Wow - friend phoned me up on Sunday to tell me about his bad luck - he had just started playing TLOU and his phat PS3 died. He was going out to buy a slim. I thought he was just unfortunate, lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No crashes here (in one full playthrough, the start of a second one, and a bunch of MP), although I don't have the very oldest PS3, mine is a 40GB. The game does make the fans go crazy the majority of the time though.

Dynedom

I've had one crash. Same problem I always have with Uncharted 2 and 3. Seems really random.

Phat second generation 80 GB model.

Garibaldi

EU 60GB Phatty here with 320GB drive. I figure I'm 5/6 of the way thru the game. No crashes as of yet. Only played for 5 hours max per session tho. Not sure if that's a factor.

chifanpoe

I have two BC PS3s with upgraded SSD HDs in them. I have been playing both Uncharted 3 and Last of Us on each over the past 4 days with no issues. Prob have 6 hours on one and another 5 hours on the other.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Wow - friend phoned me up on Sunday to tell me about his bad luck - he had just started playing TLOU and his phat PS3 died. He was going out to buy a slim. I thought he was just unfortunate, lol.

He was, or you implying some conspiracy theory?

IrishNinja

cross-posting to see if any of this is relevant here?

help, GAF!

my near-launch 60 GB has kinda acted like crap since i put a friend's 80 GB in there - hangs on OS level stuff, but games typically play fine.

audio drops have happened sometimes too, can't sort that out from the options (my 7.1/DTS receiver literally gets no problems from other devices)....it's gotten worse though.

playing Last of Us now, and:

1) audio drops are pretty regular, cutscenes/intro etc and gameplay alike
2) though my girl didn't encounter this playing the last few days, during the intro tonight, both the drops & framerate lags (we're talking bad ones) are occurring.

should i pick up another HDD & try that, or is any of this indicative of a dying system? it does run a bit louder/hotter sometimes but before a lotta this stuff made think it was the drive. really dont wanna lose the phatty for a slim, but with PS4 not being BC, i might just be delaying the inevitable anyway. thoughts?

glancing at this thread, it doesnt sound like the same symptoms though...

Oublieux

cross-posting to see if any of this is relevant here?
glancing at this thread, it doesnt sound like the same symptoms though...

I know it's a hassle, but if you have a random spare HDD lying around, just toss it in and try it. If the glitches still happen, then I'd invest in another system or at least send it out for repairs.

hash_unlish

Neo Member
last model of phat, CECHP i guess, ylod during the Downtown area. but the PS3 still operational after the restart

though multiplayers work without any problem *sometimes*

IrishNinja

I know it's a hassle, but if you have a random spare HDD lying around, just toss it in and try it. If the glitches still happen, then I'd invest in another system or at least send it out for repairs.

yeah, this does seem the most logical option...thinking of just tossing the 60 GB back in after i delete some stuff (prolly PS+ games i can re-buy). thanks man.

Batman

Banned
Word is that there is a massive bad batch of games that were produced so that's why the game is crashing and killing so many PS3's. Let's see if Naughty Dog says something about it eventually.

Zinthar

If the game requires a certain firmware, normally it won't run until you update.

I have a launch 60GB, no crashes so far. But that autosave thing is annoying me. Any time I try to save, I have to wait through 20 - 30 seconds of "Autosave still in progress" before the normal PS3 save interface comes up.

TLoU doesn't require 4.45 to run. Also, the autosave still in progress thing seems to occur on every system, although it definitely isn't a full 20 seconds on my 120GB slim. Perhaps your 60GB has some serious disk fragmentation after years of use?

Zinthar

Word is that there is a massive bad batch of games that were produced so that's why the game is crashing and killing so many PS3's. Let's see if Naughty Dog says something about it eventually.

I honestly don't think that's even technically possible. If someone could chime in about the disc-replicating process that would be great, but the notion that an error in one batch could cause your PS3 to do something that would damage the hardware is rather absurd.

bitoriginal

40gb phatty, 16 hours of playtime, not a single crash. Sounds like a fucking jet engine at times though.

Stop spreading FUD.

I got my phat PS3. Yup, the launch day PS3 and nothing happened.

Apart from crashing, the game did really make the fans go wild.

Batman

Banned
I honestly don't think that's even technically possible. If someone could chime in about the disc-replicating process that would be great, but the notion that an error in one batch could cause your PS3 to do something that would damage the hardware is rather absurd.

If there was an error in the burn in on the CD then it would cause whatever components to work extra hard to process the information then it would overheat the system.

osknoes

PS3 Slim, About 3-4h in, during a cutscene, the graphics card died. I could hear the game running, but the image was stuck. Reset ps3, hear the xmb opening sound, but image is still stuck with some garbage in the frame. Repeated process for about 10 times...
RIP PS3. Really, what's going on with this game! :\

hunterst

Neo Member
I have a non-ugly-slim and often when I try to QUIT the game (by pressing the PS-button on my DS3 and choose QUIT GAME), it makes my PS3 reset. It beeps three times and starts up again..

i have the exact same problem everytime i try to quit plus the game locked up once in multiplayer. im waiting for a patch before i play the game again

Aklamarth

hunterst said:
i have the exact same problem everytime i try to quit plus the game locked up once in multiplayer. im waiting for a patch before i play the game again

Same thing here. The PS3 is always restarting when quitting the game...

For some reason end of cycle ps games have a tendency to crash launch units. I remember some games like spider man enter electro had problems running on early ps1 units

My brother was experiencing some lock-ups, but it was on a Slim. As stated before by some others, the fans seem to be doing overtime during the game, so I assume it's related to that.

Blearth

Banned
My 80GB fatty hangs on a black screen on the inital load.

I'm restoring my PS3 now. :(

Why can't console gaming be as simple and hassle free as PC gaming?

My sons had this once after pausing to quite from MP. It's a launch 60 gig model.

SP was all fine though.

oh yeah and it makes the fans incredibly loud. It is working that old beast. I kept my fingers crossed it would last the game.. it did thankfully.

Markadias

Banned
I'm about half way through... The fans have been working 110%. Almost instantly too... I've never heard the fans so loud so quickly. I hope it makes it to GT6 and Beyond :/

Top Bottom