• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us crashing phat PS3s.

GeNoMe

Im scared shitless....i'm actually afraid to turn on my EU 80GB Phatboy.
They should have released this game on PS4, current gen is obviously out of it's league here haha.

Maybe it's only the disc versions?

I'm nearing what I believe is the end on the digital version, and I've had zero issues. *knock on wood*

60gb Launch phat here.

This terrifies me so much...I want to buy The Last of Us, but my PS3 is an OG 60GB BC phat model. It keeps on chugging and has never EVER crashed/locked up on me, but this forum has made it clear that my system is on borrowed time. :(

olimpia84

No crashes on my 80GB phat model so far.
However, my friend told me that his blu ray lens stopped working while playing this game on his Slim PS3 which I found weird considering those slim models are fairly new and he doesn't play games much.

lucius

Maybe it was good going digital with this game or is that crashing Phats also, I honestly think many Phats are prone to fail, well at least close to 40%. The original 360 is likely around 75% or more, should be interesting to see how long PS4 and Xbone last under stress.

Played through the entire game on my brothers launch day PS3 no problem. Sounded like a jet engine every once in awhile, but no crashes thankfully.

I don't have TLoU but I plan to play it soon. I have 60gb OG ps3 and this freaks me out. Never had a problem with any of the three Uncharted games that I recall, though. My fans get really loud but I try to maintain the box pretty well. It's in an enclosed cabinet and so I don't think it gets much dust exposure. I keep the door wide open when playing.

Has ND acknowledged this at all? Is it just a matter of old hardware dying? That still sucks, though. It's too bad consoles aren't made like they used to be any more. In my mind this wouldn't even be an issue if Sony had not removed PS2 BC. That's the only reason why most people would even care (aside from spending money on a new machine, of course.)

DGOJG

Banned
Must be a very small amount of consoles. Finished the game on my 60GB with no problems. I have upgraded my harddrive to 500gb, not that it would make any difference.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
A piece of software cannot single out a type of PS3 and crash or kill it. Every time a new big game comes out, people play it. Increased use means increased chance of crashing or dying. It is not the game itself. Suddenly a million people are all playing the same game at the same time, so lack of logic leads people to blame the software and not just realize if 0.1% of those people have issues, you have the potential for 1000 people to complain on the net.

MYE

In preparation for TLOU (that must arrive tomorrow), I said fuck it and decided to clean my PS3.

nPCFZcg.jpg

YOLO

(I'm usually scared shitless of opening my consoles)
It was dirty but I thought it would be worse. Its quiet like a mouse now though :)

dab0ne

Phat 60GB with no crashes and about 3.5 hours into my second play through. The fan does sound like a turbine engine though. I have to play with headphones.

In preparation for TLOU (that must arrive tomorrow), I said fuck it and decided to clean my PS3.

YOLO

It was dirty but I thought it would be worse. Its quiet like a mouse now though :)

So glad to see someone actually care about their console enough to do this. As a PC person, first thing I did when I got a used PS3 a few months ago was crack it open and clean it.

Take care of your electronics, or they will get hot when you play that hot new game for hours on end.

Pejo

Gold Member
Between this and the latest firmware bricking consoles, I'm almost scared to play more TLoU. I'm probably about an hour or two in already, no freezing, no problems, but damn. I don't know what i'd do without my Phatty.

Kraut

I have a launch 60GB and made it through the game with no issue. It definitely seemed like the fans were running more than normal, but that could be because I have my console much closer than normal.

The Boat

YOLO

I should do the same, but I'm scared :(

To the people who are getting crashes:

1) Has your PS3 been heavily used for a long time?
2) Is it in a smoker's household, or otherwise in a position to suck up a huge clod of dust?

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the CPU overheating, as apparently the game makes the phat's fans go nuts.

Reule

Yeah, I've been reading about this on the official forums. There's actually quite a few issues that people have been experiencing. Only problem I've faced is the trophy list being borked. The majority of the list is glitched. I really hope a patch is out soon because the game is fantastic.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
My 40GB fat limited edition MGS4 console still plugs along with no problem and I've played the shit out of it. Now I'm worried to start this game...

robotrock

Banned
No problems on my playthrough with my 80gb.
Speaking of PS3s dying though, has MGS4 killed systems for you?
It killed two of my PS3s. The original 60gb and the slim 120gb. I don't know what's up with that game or maybe my disc is just all messed up.

Man, why ya gotta scare me? I already beat the game + played a hour on Survival and some multiplayer matches and no problems so far. March 2007 60GB PS3 but Sony refurbished it in April 2009 due to YLOD.

Even played for three hours once and no problems. Seems like my is fine, I hope. Will be playing more survival and especially multiplayer

Boss Man

Damn between this and the firmware crashes I guess Sony heard our complaints about PS3 having a better forecast than PS4 and making a transition hard to justify.

20gb fatty (upgraded that bitch to a 500) and Uncharted 3's mutiplayer did this to my PS3 once a few weeks ago.

I haven't had any problems since with other games as well as Uncharted 3's single player.

Absinthian

Neo Member
Mine got really buggy when a script didn't load after running away from
David towards the cabins.
There were no enemies and the next section was all grey. I reloaded my previous save and everything worked fine. I have a fat 40GB model- cechh01 which I upgraded to 500GB.

MYE

Does Uncharted 2 make the fan go crazy on the first slim?

It remained quited with UC2 after I cleaned the system.

Gadirok

Twisted Metal killed my 40 gig Phat.

Yeah, that was another game that had numerous problems running on phats. Some couldn't even run it.

Not surprised that The Last of Us is having problems with phats given that the particle effects even in the loading screens seem to be making the PS3 into a jet engine.

They should have just put this on the PS4. Hoping a port comes to next-gen.

Does Uncharted 2 make the fan go crazy on the first slim?

It remained quited with UC2 after I cleaned the system.

No, I never had problems with any of the Uncharted games on my slim and I played through them last week.

I haven't run into any issues with Twisted Metal and The Last of Us yet either but the only game where I experienced freezes in was Starhawk when too much stuff was on the screen. Mostly with air combat in a hawk when there way too much variables and chaos in the map.

Top Bottom