• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us crashing phat PS3s.

Septimius

Old, phat PS3. 10 hours, no severe loading times, no loading loops, no crashes, no glitches, maybe some fan-noise.

Seems to be an overheating issue. Seems kind of silly to blame ND for pushing the PS3s limit. If your PS3 has gathered dust, it'll heat up quicker. Seems odd saying it's ND that our PS3s are dirty. If you're having problems, try blowing it out, or vacuum it out, or otherwise cleaning the PS3.

Vashetti

Banned
Phat console here and yeah, The Last of Us makes the fans go insane.

I don't think my console has much life left in it anyway.

It's a phenomenal game but so very glitchy. Naughty Dog need to get on fixing it, because the glitches spoil what is supposed to be a realistic, immersive experience.

I'm not sure where that delay time went because the game seems unfinished.

Angst

EU Fat PS3 40 GB here, although my HDD is upgraded to 500 GB.

PSN version of TLOU. Initial load 1-2 minutes. Continue game load 10-20 seconds max. No crashes yet.

nero2082

I had like 2 freezes on superslim, but at least it always remained silent

I remember how my old 40gig (RIP) went into overdrive especially on U2/U3 (oh and RDR+summer was a deadly combo), so I'm glad I don't have that boeing sound anymore

dat 45nm

Elios83

IMO it was bound to happen.
It's summer, TLOU is a really intensive application which make the fan spin wildly on my Slim (2009).
What's going to happen to a few 7 years old fat models which have managed to survive so far and are prone to YLOD? Yeah :/

Septimius

Happened to me. My post from Friday:

Well, statistically, some PS3s will die with any game. I'm guessing this is a good mix of some PS3s getting a sudden surge of usage and otherwise having dusted down for a while, and some PS3s being in their final hours combined with a game that really is pushing that thing for what it's worth.

So remember to clean your PS3 if it might be getting dusty. ND shouldn't be able to fry your PS3 no matter what they run on it, since the PS3 should always be able to dissipate its own heat.

Himself

I got a phatty. Thing screams while I play this game. I have a desk fan set up in directly in front of it while playing to help blow air through and I do my best to not play longer than 30 minutes at a time.

Phat 60GB with BC and not a single crash after 4hrs in. I was playing mostly offline, and maybe because I was so engrossed into the game but I haven't noticed the PS3 fan being louder than before either. Console's in vertical.

Jawmuncher

I had a phat 40gb for Umcharted 3.
Shit ran like a alpha version. Crashes and Glitches everywhere. Really hope Last of Us fairs better but this isn't good.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Whats a good way to clean out the fan on a PS3? I use a diffuser nozzle on my vacuum to suck out the dust from the vents and fan "exhaust port"

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Did you guys firmware update to 4.45 or whatever the one that came out this week was? Because that update is causing a lot of system bricks.

Phat 40GB here. I just met up with Bill and no crashes so far, but the load times definitely can be a little excruciating.

This is a replacement PS3 though that I got last month. The last one died back in March and I finally sent it in May to get fixed. Still got around 60 days until warranty expires so I'm not exactly worried lol.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
My furniture is ruined by now from so much knocking on wood, but yeah, 19h in and no problems so far with my 80gig fatty (LBP bundle). She sound like a ghostship running this game, and I sure hope she'll troop on, since I plan on replaying TLOU at least two times.

JardeL

There's something weird about fat PS3s. I have 60GB BC fat PS3 with 750GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid. Never saw a YLOD but nowadays it beeps 3 times and shuts down itself with blinking red sometimes.

No problem at menu, no problem with PSN games. I've played ICO and SOTC last week and never had a problem. Started Uncharted 3 Digital Copy this week, for the first few chapters, it was flawless, no problem at all. I'm at Chapter 9, I need to turn the wheel [ second one ] but I can't because PS3 shuts off itself as soon as I get there. Interesting. I had small issues before it but I could play after starting up the PS3 again, but now I'm stuck :].

I know its close to death but the strange thing is when I launch MAG, it doesnt even let me to play, shuts off itself as I see the menu.

These are the reasons why I think it's not about "Forcing PS3 to the limit.".

Btw, all these problems have showed up since I updated my HDD to 750gigs Momentus XT. But now even if I switch back to old 60gigs, nothing changes.

Fantasmo

Mine worked fine. Beat it twice.

It did crash - twice.

Fans sounded like a jumbo jet taking off.
ND doing maximum fat PS3 wizardry as usual.

80GB fat bought around the time of MGS4's release.

Doomshine

Can we really attribute this to TLoU? I don't mean to be inconsiderate to people who have a broken console, but this sort of stuff always seems to come up for big games for both the 360 and Ps3.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I have a fat 60gb. I did two big marathon sessions, 11 hours and 5 hours. The game hasn't crashed on me once, nor did I have any save glitches. However, the fan got so loud... like insanely loud. I never heard my PS3 sound like that before. I ended up opening it yesterday and cleaned it out which wasn't too dusty but it helped out a bit.

Fantasmo

Can we really attribute this to TLoU? I don't mean to be inconsiderate to people who have a broken console, but this sort of stuff always seems to come up for big games for both the 360 and Ps3.
Yeah but I doubt its a bug, I'm really thinking they're just using all system capabilities at once during graphically intense areas, which is frequently.

PS3's that barely made QA or maybe don't have good thermal paste or have bad air flow (sitting on a cable box, etc) or need some air dusting, will be more susceptible.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I have two launch 60GBs.

My "stock" bedroom PS3 which is stuffed to the brim crashes every 30-45 mins.

The living room PS3 which has a 750GB on it has no problems.

I think it may be a caching issue. Just a guess.

Both sound like they are prepping for takeoff though.

ALM5252

I only have a Phat 40GB PS3, and I don't have any spare money to buy the super slim model; I been considering buying TLOU after watching some of an LP.

Hope this problem gets fixed! I love my Phat and want to play TLOU soon without any problems.

pushBAK

60GB PS3 here, 18 hours 25 minutes no freezes. Did run across one glitch during my play through. Fans spun pretty loud throughout as well but no crashing.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 6.5 hours into it and so far no crashes, and I'm playing on a phat 60 GB model. Hopefully the game doesn't destroy my system! *fingers crossed*

coldfoot

Banned
I have a friend with a Phat PS3 and a Slim. He swears that he can actually hear the SPU's in the Cell and that they make a distinct sound that could be heard over the fans in the Phat when playing Uncharted. The Slim doesn't make the same sound, he says.

Okay now I really think about trying to return this game, my PS3 Fat 80GB EU never was particularly loud until I played TLoU which makes it rival my PC in terms of noise :/ No crashes yet but I don't want to risk it either now, good to know I'm not alone...

GRIP

Downloaded the game on my slim and it worked fine (beat it two nights ago). No loud fans, no crashes, no nothing.

The only game that I've had issues with is Black Ops 2, but I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with my disc.

My original 60GB launch PS3 got yellow-lighted playing UC2. Don't know I there's a correlation between the engine they use and older systems but it's something to be aware of.

otapnam

Fat 40, locked n crashed once while I was drawing the bow for a long time. Beat The game without any other problems

Trick_GSF

Banned
Well, statistically, some PS3s will die with any game. I'm guessing this is a good mix of some PS3s getting a sudden surge of usage and otherwise having dusted down for a while, and some PS3s being in their final hours combined with a game that really is pushing that thing for what it's worth.

So remember to clean your PS3 if it might be getting dusty. ND shouldn't be able to fry your PS3 no matter what they run on it, since the PS3 should always be able to dissipate its own heat.

I agree it wasn't necessarily TLoU that killed the console, that said, I had only had the 40GB PS3 for about 3 weeks. It was reconditioned, but wasn't dusty, etc and so forth. I take care of my shit.

My console died right when
Uncle Tommy calls Joel's daughter.
The fan kicked in hardcore about a minute before that.

Top Bottom