• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us: Late 2012/Early 2013, 3rd Person, [Update 2: More Info In OP]

Nope, thanks!

It's interesting watching the mocap session... it's basically theater. A lot of pressure on the actors to sell everything in such an awkward environment... without even the benefit of costumes or basic set design. Just silly props and suits. Tough gig. Have to give them a lot of credit if it works out in the end and translates well in the cinematics.

Yeah. The mo cap environment they have at ND is pretty robust though. They started using it before Uncharted DF right? Or was it after DF and for DF they went with another studio's Mo Cap? I don't recall

I didn't mean that they don't interest me now that the hype has faded, only that I myself get hyped easily, and after a while it often turns out that the anticipated second coming of Christ game was "only" a very good game. Might turn out to be the case with TLoU too.

Yeah....you might as well give up on this game right now. The hype for TLOU will undoubtedly fade at some point and by then it will only be a very good game.

jackrubyn

Do you not own any systems then? I cant imagine not owning a ps3 at this point.
I bought an Xbox 360 on launch. Not really sure why. I subsequently wound up buying a lot of games for it. Had it not been for the fact that GTA IV turned out to not be a PS3 exclusive I would have bought a PS3 a long time ago.

I can hardly believe that those character models are the actual gameplay character models. God damn astounding.

They said they started using the same character models as the CG in UC2.

No doubt the lighting is baked though, but if the lighting system is improved maybe the animation would be the only thing holding the game back presentation wise.

I can hardly believe that those character models are the actual gameplay character models. God damn astounding.

Why is everyone so obsessed on having cutscenes models on gameplay? In most games closeups during gameplay are so rare that is a waste of memory having a max quality model that will never be used because of the LOD system.

Unless you are playing with the camera and walls instead of playing the game itself.

Xun

No doubt the lighting is baked though, but if the lighting system is improved maybe the animation would be the only thing holding the game back presentation wise.
How so?

The animation is 1 to 1 with the actors in the cutscenes, which you would expect because it is a completely controlled environment, but in game this isn't the case. As of right now the in game animation is of very high caliber, but there are things holding it back. I remember there was a thread about how in game Drake touched every damn thing, so if the dynamic animation system was better and made less obvious gamey type actions the whole presentation would feel more cohesive. Basically the illusion would be a lot more convincing.

Heck, I think the game looks nice enough as it is that we don't need captured cutscenes. I think it would benefit the overall package too.

-GOUKI-

Wow at the clusterfuck of polygons in the character models. I don't think i remember any game with that many polygons in a face.

The animation is 1 to 1 with the actors in the cutscenes, which you would expect because it is a completely controlled environment, but in game this isn't the case. As of right now the in game animation is of very high caliber, but there are things holding it back. I remember there was a thread about how in game Drake touched every damn thing, so if the dynamic animation system was better and made less obvious gamey type actions the whole presentation would feel more cohesive. Basically the illusion would be a lot more convincing.

Heck, I think the game looks nice enough as it is that we don't need captured cutscenes. I think it would benefit the overall package too.

ND keep adding and improving their animation system, if I remember right, not long after U3 is out, there's a tweet from one of ND that they're busy making some changes to their animation system.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just catching that video and watching now. Love them studio inside looks like this. Pretty amazing tech for the old PS3. Well, pretty amazing ND wizardry.

EAtvX.png

anyone think the in game model poly count is a bit overkill? I mean, it's awesome, but I rather have less character polycount if the trade off is smaller, less detailed environment/level. isn't this game supposed to have a bit more open level to allow exploration etc. can they really make level more open than Uncharted and still afford a higher polycount character model?

Naughty Dog studio tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdU-SxUgBKw&hd=1

There's concept artist Maciej Kuciara at 1:00. He moved from Crytek to Naughty Dog: http://www.maciejkuciara.com

And another concept artist, Marek Okon, at 4:30 who did some work for Crytek: www.okonart.com

Also, the presidents interview was reuploaded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQNgK8iz5cQ&hd=1

Nice series, this Gamereactor one.

WTF those are in-game models?

Wut da fuck.

Mind blown.

They haven't really use a lot of baked anything since last generation, it doesn't look like the lighting is baked at all, what with the dynamic light columns in the trailer, their real-time lighting solution is probably the best on consoles, U2 basically had the best SSAO solution at the time.

WTF those are in-game models?

Wut da fuck.

Mind blown.

They haven't really use a lot of baked anything since last generation, it doesn't look like the lighting is baked at all, what with the dynamic light columns in the trailer, their real-time lighting solution is probably the best on consoles, U2 basically had the best SSAO solution at the time.

I was talking about it the cutscenes. The lighting model was different than in game, and was much better. If is something that is not able to run real time than it is baked, or at least my time on stackexchange lead me to believe that's what it means.

Of course the in game lighting is dynamic.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
anyone think the in game model poly count is a bit overkill? I mean, it's awesome, but I rather have less character polycount if the trade off is smaller, less detailed environment/level. isn't this game supposed to have a bit more open level to allow exploration etc. can they really make level more open than Uncharted and still afford a higher polycount character model?

I can't think of a single environment in Uncharted that seems like it suffers... there are plenty of sections that feel open.

Xun

Oh right I get you now.

It's less about animation though and more about the interaction with the in-game world, but I agree.

I can honestly say the cutscene animation impresses me more than a lot of big budget mo-capped films. The Robert Zemeckis films being a perfect example.

Isn't that their Uncharted 1 GDC08 talk (they were saying static lighting was too slow and couldn't be distributed then proceeded to talk about dynamic lighting on page 45), back when everything from SSAO in U2 to dynamic light columns in U3 didn't even exist? A lot of things have changed since then.
Indirect lighting / shadows = prebaked.
Direct lighting & post-processing (SSAO) = realtime.

Faithful dog becomes infected, leading to heartbreaking scene in which Joel has to put a bullet in its head.

more like dog jumps in front of joel from infected and saving him to run away. dog stampers away before a group of them attacks. Joel decides to go but when he turns back the hordes spread out, and sees the dog laying on its side. lifeless. Only a glint in the dog's eye remains before the sun slowly goes down and the dog is now dead only to find out it's the mid boss later in the game

DireStr8s

more like dog jumps in front of joel from infected and saving him to run away. dog stampers away before a group of them attacks. Joel decides to go but when he turns back the hordes spread out, and sees the dog laying on its side. lifeless. Only a glint in the dog's eye remains before the sun slowly goes down and the dog is now dead only to find out it's the mid boss later in the game

*swoons*

Dog, that dies to save your life, confirmed

Faithful dog becomes infected, leading to heartbreaking scene in which Joel has to put a bullet in its head.

i CAN FEEL THE TEARS ALREADY

Pft, you guys are way off.

SamuraiX-

I was glad to hear that ND is referring to them as "the infected" rather than zombies.

I don't like the fact that they apparently aren't attempting to flesh out this idea of the ant's role in the cordyceps-ant relationship being transferred over to the human population. They seemingly have no backstory related to the history or origin of the apocalyptic world they've created which is really a shame and quite disappointing for me.

KageMaru

Great videos, love seeing behind the scenes footage.

Other games have more polys per pixels being rendered, so I thought it was funny how they mentioned that as some kind of big deal.

Looks great though, I'm curious to see more of the game and really hoping they release some documentation.

Sporran

i CAN FEEL THE TEARS ALREADY

i havent cried in a game for a long time but i can see this will be the one, you know the scene in i am legend, most just get on with it but when you are suckered in and you own one of them its hard, lets hope last of us uses something more like a poodle :D (sorry poodle owners)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Animals never make me emotional. I like animals, study biology and work in conservation... and I don't like to see unnecessary suffering.

But the thought of crying over some dog, especially when it's not your own... never really could relate to that. It's sad I guess, but not enough to bring tears.

Animals never make me emotional. I like animals, study biology and work in conservation... and I don't like to see unnecessary suffering.

But the thought of crying over some dog, especially when it's not your own... never really could relate to that. It's sad I guess, but not enough to bring tears.

What about tears of happiness from eating delicious roasted dog meat after days of eating canned beans?

KageMaru

Of all the studios, ND is one of the few I have faith in producing emotional scenes in a game, so I'm eager to see what they do with this setting.

Top Bottom