• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us: Late 2012/Early 2013, 3rd Person, [Update 2: More Info In OP]

darkwing

What is it about every single Naughty Dog thread recently that inspires so much unwarranted hatred and negativity? It seems like gaming GAF in general has seen a real increase in hyperbolic negativity this year, but ND threads have gotten the some of the worst of it.

PS3 has no games :|

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I love the setting.... But I wish that, instead of being zombies, it really was like The Road: The enemies would be viscious, thug survivors looking to loot and rape whatever you have. Now that'd move the medium forward :p

Kaiken

Banned
Someone create another thread for nitpickers to go and cry. I like to hear the people praise this wonderfully looking/sounding experience by the Naughty Gods!

Replicant

I personally thought U3 was getting a bit heavy on the "experience" side of things. There are more than a few "slow the player down right here so it's cinematic" moments that are "ok" on the first go, but really hurt replayability. I don't recall feeling that with U2. So that combined with "experience" is what irked me, personally. I'm not writing them off, but it's just another buzzword that I really don't like.

Well, let's called it "Cinematic Climax" instead "Experience" then!

I love the setting.... But I wish that, instead of being zombies, it really was the The Road: The enemies would be viscious, thug survivors looking to loot and rape whatever you have. Now that'd move the medium forward :p

There are still regular people in the world. The guy that Joel is beating on is a regular guy. So, there's going to be a mix.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love the setting.... But I wish that, instead of being zombies, it really was the The Road: The enemies would be viscious, thug survivors looking to loot and rape whatever you have. Now that'd move the medium forward :p

The trailer showed them fighting with uninfected survivors so I'm sure that you'll be fighting them in the full game too.

arne

:facepalm

really guys? an immersive video game can't be called an experience? so what happens when you play it? you don't experience the gameplay and narrative? you... what?

Naughty Dog's writing is terrible, I wish they would focus on making their gameplay systems good instead of focusing on bullshit. I honestly hope this game seems really badly if it's some QTE driven thing or something so they quit going in a cinematic direction and hopefully start making platformers again.

tumblr_ln37ybOSWz1qclt3z.gif

Ricky_R

As far as the trailer showed, it will be both. I like the fact they will explore the cordyceps premise with humans. It can make for a cool story told by ND.

Pimpbaa

Learn to read, including your own writing. You're all acting as if any of those games do not have cutscenes, and not in some extent, a movie-like experience, with its own 'deep' plot. I mean seriously? Should we go through your past posts to see what games you've played and why you didn't bitch about them?

I haven't referred to linearity at all in this thread. My concern was about the gameplay and a possible lack of it, not how linear the game is. I loath games where all they have going for it is the story and have absolutely dreadful gameplay. Like anything from Ninja Theory or that god awful Heavy Rain. I have no problems with linear games that have cutscenes but also have some deep gameplay or even some decent gameplay.

Loudninja

Lots of nice info in the article
Although the designers don't want to give away the entire story line, the development team recently gave an exclusive inside look into the project. At the start of the game, the lead character, Joel, finds Ellie, and they team up. Joel is "a vicious survivor. When he meets this girl, she is his one chance at redemption," says Neil Druckmann, the game's creative director. "That kind of arc has always been intriguing."
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming...urce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=110941

Replicant

really guys? an immersive video game can't be called an experience? so what happens when you play it? you don't experience the gameplay and narrative? you... what?

Eh, ignore them. I think most of them are just trolling since they didn't bitch when Kamiya called Bayonetta a "Cinematic Climax".

I haven't referred to linearity at all in this thread. My concern was about the gameplay and a possible lack of it, not how linear the game is. I loath games where all they have going for it is the story and have absolutely dreadful gameplay. Like anything from Ninja Theory or that god awful Heavy Rain. I have no problems with linear games that have cutscenes but also have some deep gameplay or even some decent gameplay.

Like I said, because your taste is all that matters, right? Have you even consider that those 2 million people who bought Heavy Rain may actually enjoy them? And what you don't consider deep gameplay is actually a good gameplay for others?

So I learned today that the focus of the game is not on the monsters but on the relationship between the two characters and it's not a game it's an experience. Sounds like a very story heavy (rain) game.

It seems very heated in here so I guess I should make it clear I'm joking.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There are still regular people in the world. The guy that Joel is beating on is a regular guy. So, there's going to be a mix.

The trailer showed them fighting with uninflected survivors so I'm sure that you'll be fighting them in the full game too.

I didn't quite grasp that in the trailer.. but I'm glad about it. Part of the appeal of The Road, beyond the usual zombie flick, is the pschological terror that the remainder of humanity is thuggish and means to steal/hurt/rape you.

Zombies aren't blamable. If zombies take over, just blast some metal music, get some weapons, and turn it into a gruesome fantasy.

But if thuggish humans are also the enemy, then there's something very dark about it.....

Pimbaa said:

And your reason for assuming this game is going to be like Heavy Rain is paper thin

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So I learned today that the focus of the game is not on the monsters but on the relationship between the two characters and it's not a game it's an experience. Sounds like a very story heavy
rain
game.

The monsters can still be a big part of the story even if it's mostly about the characters. Lots of TV shows use this approach and it works well. It will also help to add to the tension of the game of you really care for their well being.

EDIT: Ah, didn't see your edit until now.

Eh, ignore them. I think most of them are just trolling since they didn't bitch when Kamiya called Bayonetta a "Cinematic Climax".

For God's sake dude, the "cinematic climax" is a player-controlled QTE.

Not constant cutscenes and banter like UC. Not walking forward through a dessert for ten minutes to play out the "experience". Not challenge-free platforming because ND hates the player dying and don't want badly timed jumps ruining the narrative. Obviously we don't know the extent of what TLoUs does, but its not unreasonable to go off the background of the previous "cinematic experience" games ND did.

KingK

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!
I don't like puzzle games. I guess I should head over to the Portal 2 thread and start bitching about how Valve is ruining the game industry by making games that don't appeal to me personally.

Oh wait. That would make me a jackass.

Replicant

Well, that is soo well-received by GAF than story-heavy gameplay. Also:

"In any sort of cinematic presentation, one of the most important parts of the entire event is the climax, and that's a very key concept in Bayonetta itself," Kamiya said through a translator.

Kamiya clearly wanted Bayonetta to be some kind of cinematic presentation and how Bayonetta is to closely resemble such.

Interesting, but if emotional attachment and serious human drama is what they're going after, I'd say it would function better in a world without monsters. A little step at a time, I suppose.

Emwitus

I hope we don't have to skip between area and they make the game more like drakes fortune. That would be great. And naughty dog, if you guys could make it more serious in tone without the silly banter in uncharted that would be great.

Pimpbaa

"In an interview after his presentation, Kamiya told IGN the flow of Bayonetta is meant to be cinematic, with a focus on climactic action.

"In any sort of cinematic presentation, one of the most important parts of the entire event is the climax, and that's a very key concept in Bayonetta itself," Kamiya said through a translator.

He said the focus was on climactic action. Also what he said was a little off because it ended up being a game very similar to Devil May Cry. If ND plans to do the same and this ends up feeling a little like uncharted, than I would have no problem with that. But there isn't anything clear on how this game will play, which has me a little worried.

I personally thought U3 was getting a bit heavy on the "experience" side of things. There are more than a few "slow the player down right here so it's cinematic" moments that are "ok" on the first go, but really hurt replayability. I don't recall feeling that with U2. So that combined with "experience" is what irked me, personally. I'm not writing them off, but it's just another buzzword that I really don't like.

Yeah i can understand what you are saying , UC3 slower start did hurt the replay value also certain points like
when you walking about the desert
The pacing was not as good as U2 so the high were higher but lows much lower in UC3.
Still UC2 game director working on this so that should be huge plus to some people .

AniHawk

He made a game called heavy rain that did not pretend to be anything else but a interactive movie. What is wrong with that? I don't get this. Do we have only ONE TYPE of way to make games now.

i was kinda joking, as if david cage actually has that much pull in the industry. seeing his type of thinking regarding the medium infecting a talented studio is alarming though.

Not constant cutscenes and banter like UC. Not walking forward through a dessert for ten minutes to play out the "experience". Not challenge-free platforming because ND hates the player dying and don't want badly timed jumps ruining the narrative. Obviously we don't know the extent of what TLoUs does, but its not unreasonable to go off the background of the previous "cinematic experience" games ND did.

Haha the funny thing about this is Bayonetta probably has more cutscenes than any UC game with ease. And they are all terrible.

KorrZ

Sounds great so far. Really happy it's third person perspective instead of first person, I'm really hoping this game can deliver on the ideas that the Dead Island trailer presented. All I can say is this better hit in fall 2012, I can't wait until 2013.

As long as it shares similar but not identical gameplay with Uncharted I will be happy about it.

I really dont want this to be a super linear driven story. I enjoy Uncharted a lot, but one franchise like that from you guy is enough.

The whole concept begs for variety. And it, being you guys, ND, I'd expect it to play differently than the Uncharted series.

darkwing

Sounds great so far. Really happy it's third person perspective instead of first person, I'm really hoping this game can deliver on the ideas that the Dead Island trailer presented. All I can say is this better hit in fall 2012, I can't wait until 2013.

2013 would be too late for this

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Seeing the composer they picked, it kind of hints at what type of a game they want to create. I hope they develop the story well i.e. more unpredictable.

inky

I don't like puzzle games. I guess I should head over to the Portal 2 thread and start bitching about how Valve is ruining the game industry by making games that don't appeal to me personally.

STOP DISLIKING WHAT I LIKE!!!

We can go on all night.

Haha the funny thing about this is Bayonetta probably has more cutscenes than any UC game with ease. And they are all terrible.

Except you can skip all of them. Uncharted 3 has an entire chapter devoted to "experience" that is considered gameplay which you can't skip. I see that getting tons of praise, but all I could think the whole time is that "This is going to be a pain the next time around." "Experience" is not a word that conjures up positive thoughts, not the way it's been used this generation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, looking at those screens really puts into perspective how insane the facial detail on Joel and Ellie is. It's a surprisingly noticeable step up from Uncharted 3.

GhaleonQ

Interesting. It's fans who suck all the air out of the room for discussion, not games writers and marketing? I think you're confused. I'm going to have to hear about this game for awhile or not take in games media at all.

In any case, if their marketing barrage includes "some guy saying foolish things," then we're free to receive that marketing as we wish. I can dislike trailers, critique music, and point out when a silly man says silly things if THEY are the ones pushing their vision.

Except you can skip all of them. Uncharted 3 has an entire chapter devoted to "experience" that is considered gameplay which you can't skip. I see that getting tons of praise, but all I could think the whole time is that "This is going to be a pain the next time around." "Experience" is not a word that conjures up positive thoughts, not the way it's been used thins generation.

lol agreed. And what's worse is that some game developers actually think they're giving us great stories now or something so they force it down our throats. I didn't mind with Uncharted because I enjoyed that but I'm skeptical about this one.

David Cage been hanging out at Naughty Dog or something?

Pimpbaa

Like I said, because your taste is all that matters, right? Have you even consider that those 2 million people who bought Heavy Rain may actually enjoy them? And what you don't consider deep gameplay is actually a good gameplay for others?

I don't care what those 2 million idiots and their "game" think. Right now I'm hoping that ND doesn't make a shitty non game like HR. They are better than that. I have liked most of ND's games, so that is why have concern over this game.

Takuan

Huh. On the one hand, no waggle controls shitting up the gameplay delights me. On the other, "an experience" has me apprehensive about too many QTEs, even though it's a pretty arbitrary connotation.

Top Bottom