• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us : Listen Mode, Melee Prompts and Tag Pop Ups can be turned off

Gbraga

I would be downright shocked if it wasn't.

I don't think it is, actually. The game design is pretty damn clever, it's just those dumb stuff that ruin it. Like for example
there are different kinds of infected, and you can learn how to deal with each of them depending on the way they act and sound, some of them are completely blind, but will one hit kill you if you get careless, and others react to light and will come very fast to attack you, but you can fight back. You could learn that while playing, getting to know your enemies, how they sound, look and behave, and develop strategies to deal with them, but instead, in the demo they showed that they just put a pop up saying "HEY THERE ARE THOSE ENEMIES AND THAT'S HOW THEY BEHAVE, YOU BETTER WATCH OUT".

Completely ruined it for me, it would be so much more fun finding that out while playing.

The question will be is the game so balanced around these mechanics that turning them off will break the game. It does potential make for a much more interesting game, though.

Alienous

Two completely different games guys, although I'm flattered you remember my likes. Headshots headshots headshots. Even in Infinite, a couple headshots put them out regardless of difficulty. Hopefully thats the same case for this.

Have you seen any The Last of Us gameplay?

Don't be silly.
Humans seem to take a bullet to the head, and stage 2 infected take multiple

But you're still virtually murdering people. Isn't it the act of murder which they shouldn't see, not the little spats of blood?

Well honestly kids will often pick up on the strong language more than the homocidal tendencies of the game characters they control.

I know I did.

Andrew.

Banned
Have you seen any The Last of Us gameplay?

Don't be silly.
Humans seem to take a bullet to the head, and stage 2 infected take multiple

All Ive seen (blackout mostly) is the E3 trailer from 2011(?) and I loved what I saw with the gunplay. If all that has remained intact then I retract my previous statement(s) =P

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
But you're still virtually murdering people. Isn't it the act of murder which they shouldn't see, not the little spats of blood?
It's not really the same. One looks a lot more like when a kid grabs a plush toy and toss it across the room. No harm, no visible damage.

Violence off FTW. I know you all think its dumb but that crap is way over the top.
I don't think in a game like this it works that way. The way I see it, it's like that knife scene in Saving Private Ryan. Violence here is repulsive in a way that it makes you want to not do it.

I went to bed at midnight last night? Was there really some reviel of this feature followed by a meltdown before this morning?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wonder what all of those tips and hints are doing. I wish in game manuals they'd give detailed instructions of what those hints options are for so you can decide whether to disable them or not.

It's not over the top, it's realistic. Shooting someone in the face or what a grenade does in close proximity is very violent in real life I'd imagine.
Realism isn't what I'm after. I'd avoid that in real life (if at all possible) or entertainment, it's over the top for me. This is a game. The fact that I can turn it off my be the reason I consider getting it.
I don't think in a game like this it works that way. The way I see it, it's like that knife scene in Saving Private Ryan. Violence here is repulsive in a way that it makes you want to not do it.
I get this point, but I feel like they are making them really difficult anyway, so avoiding those encounters is necessary to survive. The violence isn't necessary to make that point.

Realism isn't what I'm after. I'd avoid that in real life (if at all possible) or entertainment, it's over the top for me. This is a game. The fact that I can turn it off my be the reason I consider getting it.

I get this point, but I feel like they are making them really difficult anyway, so avoiding those encounters is necessary to survive. The violence isn't necessary to make that point.

Well they were striving for realism so it makes sense to have the violence like that. And the game is rated highly for a reason

glow

Banned
If you can turn the violence on or off, doesn't that mean violence ON just means blood splatter and nothing more? I was hoping for gritty, realistic violence in this game. I hope Sony/ND didn't change death animations just because of all the stupid "a shotgun to the face is too disturbing" talk on the internet..

Loudninja

If you can turn the violence on or off, doesn't that mean violence ON just means blood splatter and nothing more? I was hoping for gritty, realistic violence in this game. I hope Sony/ND didn't change death animations just because of all the stupid "a shotgun to the face is too disturbing" talk on the internet..
Nope read the previews its very very brutal.

Sorral

Good. Listen mode can fuck right off.

My first play through will be:

Difficulty - Hardest one I can select
Subtitles - off
Game hint - off
Strategic tips - off
Tutorial hints - off
Violence - on
Lock on aiming - off
Listen mode - off
melee prompt - off
show tag pop ups - off

I expect this to be the game I die the most since playing Demon's Souls.

:lol @_@ I am going to do the same! Just keeping subtitles on, but that's it. A bit worried how the melee prompts will be like though. Preset buttons that has to be in an order? Or you can click/do whatever you want combinations?

I am on a media-blackout, so I haven't seen anything from the game for a while now.

Loudninja

Subtitles - off
Game hint - off
Strategic tips - off
Tutorial hints - on
Violence - on
Lock on aiming - off
Listen mode - off
melee prompt - on
show tag pop ups - on

First time though I will keep it like this.

I would be downright shocked if it wasn't.

Considering they give you the option to turn it off I doubt it.
They obviously playtested it with listen mode disabled.
Hell, it probably wasn't even there to begin with and was only included because testers were getting owned by the clickers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Good news in theory but it could be another Absolution deal where the game just doesn't play as well without it as it was clearly designed in mind. Not really getting excited about the option without playing the game itself.

Raven77

Why is this stuff not off by default? I mean, I remember when most games had assistance's that could be enabled. Now it seems like they are just all on by default.

Its not a huge deal but to me its about perception. It makes me think the developers WANT me to play it with the assistance's because, well they are on by default.

You know I am actually really glad they have a violence filter. My younger sis likes to watch me play and some of the stuff is pretty gruesome. It will probably turn off the blood and possibly decapitations. Hardcore mode for me.

Knoxcore

I'm not one for hardcore mode, but for a game like this, I think it is imperative to make listen mode an option and not a requirement in order to keep immersion plausible.

The_Monk

To me Listen Mode will be OFF, I'm not sure about the others, will have to see it for myself.

But yes, great news indeed, this game is going to be so good. So good.

Two completely different games guys, although I'm flattered you remember my likes. Headshots headshots headshots. Even in Infinite, a couple headshots put them out regardless of difficulty. Hopefully thats the same case for this.
A couple? LOL. You say it like that's how it's supposed to be.

1 headshot was all it took for all the Uncharted games... and this one as well.

Raven77

And how do you know that they don't want that?

Yes that's my point. Do the developers feel that they have to add this stuff and have it be on by default cause of how casualized a lot of games are these days or do they TRULY want us to play with all sorts of assistance's.

Andrew.

Banned
A couple? LOL. You say it like that's how it's supposed to be.

1 headshot was all it took for all the Uncharted games... and this one as well.

I guess Ive just been conditioned that way =P

And depending on difficulty, Uncharted baddies for sure took more than one headshot to kill. We will see come June 14th though.

.GqueB.

Banned
I wonder if the sound is good enough in the game where I can hear someone and figure out where they are in the room based on that. If not then I'd want to keep listening mode on. Otherwise I'd be happening upon people and doing a lot of guess work. Seems counter intuitive to me.

I guess Ive just been conditioned that way =P

And depending on difficulty, Uncharted baddies for sure took more than one headshot to kill. We will see come June 14th though.

No they didn't. Some of them had armor+helmets but after the helmet comes off it is still 1 headshot.

Top Bottom