• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us : Listen Mode, Melee Prompts and Tag Pop Ups can be turned off

Andrew.

Banned
No they didn't. Some of them had armor+helmets but after the helmet comes off it is still 1 headshot.

Ok I gotta check this out when I get home. I know the armored guys take more hits because of helmets, but yeah. Who knows, I might be getting mixed up with some other title.

Bollocks

_bmuploads_2013-05-14avuy7.png

Whats the point of Listen Mode anyway?
I thought the infected are blind anyway?

StuBurns

Banned
Yes that's my point. Do the developers feel that they have to add this stuff and have it be on by default cause of how casualized a lot of games are these days or do they TRULY want us to play with all sorts of assistance's.
It's a funny situation actually. If you're 'hardcore' (please forgive the term) enough to be that engaged in the game's difficult balancing, then you're exactly the kind of person who would turn these things off. If you're the casual sort of player who just wants to kill monsters in the post-apocalypse, they're probably going to have a better experience with a few assists. What ND want you to play like is impossible to say, because the game is being designed for five million other people too, and you have to take that into account yourself.

I don't think people can really complain about being treated like simpletons unless they're willing to disable options. learning what this options are, and what removing them does to your game experience is inherently part of being the kind of engaged user people want to be rewarded for being, if that makes sense.

Raven77

It's a funny situation actually. If you're 'hardcore' (please forgive the term) enough to be that engaged in the game's difficult balancing, then you're exactly the kind of person who would turn these things off. If you're the casual sort of player who just wants to kill monsters in the post-apocalypse, they're probably going to have a better experience with a few assists. What ND want you to play like is impossible to say, because the game is being designed for five million other people too, and you have to take that into account yourself.

I don't think people can really complain about being treated like simpletons unless they're willing to disable options. learning what this options are, and what removing them does to your game experience is inherently part of being the kind of engaged user people want to be rewarded for being, if that makes sense.

Great answer. I think it just makes people mad because they view it as the developer making a general assumption that they are not skilled enough to play without the assistance.

Hulud

Thanks Naughty Dog! Would have been better if it was never a part of the game in the first place, but I'll take what I can get these days.

Gadirok

No they didn't. Some of them had armor+helmets but after the helmet comes off it is still 1 headshot.

I just finished a playthrough of golden abyss and got the headshot trophy last week. It takes one headshot for me to kill most of the baddies and thats what I aimed for 99% of the time.

Besides that, I don't think anyone is in the right to judge this game between Uncharted given most of the people complaining about how enemies are bullet sponges in Uncharted, clearly haven't played Uncharted.

The only exception were the guys who came rolling helmets, where you would have to shoot the helmet off before your headshot would count.

Violater

Enemy as in human enemies/thugs?
Because isn't it a bit redundant for the infected, I thought they are blind and they are attracted by noise rather than vision.

jwS69.gif

Sigh.. what is wrong with you?
Joel/the player uses listen mode to locate enemies be they infected or human.

Ricky_R

Sigh.. what is wrong with you?
Joel/the player uses listen mode to locate enemies be they infected or human.

What he's saying is that it's redundant when it comes to the infected be it stage 2 (I think) or 3 since they are blind and you can enter the room with no concern of where they are because they won't see you. So he has a point.

Anyway, you can use it for stage 1 infected and human enemies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What's "tag popups"?
Anyway, great news.

I suspect it might be the stuff that pops for items (showing a little pic of the item and its durability).

It would be great to turn that off, so hopefully that's what it is. I don't mind the object highlighting too much, but I don't like the icons at all.

Violater

What he's saying is that it's redundant when it comes to the infected be it stage 2 (I think) or 3 since they are blind and you can enter the room with no concern of where they are because they won't see you. So he has a point.

Anyway, you can use it for stage 1 infected and human enemies.

Why would listen mode be redundant?
You are not turning it off for enemies.
sad_face.gif

UrbanRats

I suspect it might be the stuff that pops for items (showing a little pic of the item and its durability).

It would be great to turn that off, so hopefully that's what it is. I don't mind the object highlighting too much, but I don't like the icons at all.

I turned off object highlighting in Silent Hill: Downpour and spent 2 hours looking for.. i didn't know what, until i turned it on again and noticed that one wrench in a corner (in a multi-floors-with-several-rooms house) was actually retrievable.. but it blended perfectly with all the other decorative objects (including tools) in the environment, and i also didn't know i needed a wrench for the puzzle.
I hope this won't end up the same, because as cool as realism is, games have a lot of limitations that reality does not have.

How do you turn off violence? Does Joel have coffee and negotiate with all the thugs instead?

Even if it just means no blood, some of the animations are still brutal as all hell.

mattp

does anyone know what "melee prompts" is specifically?

does that mean they hide the prompts during the QTEs? i dont see how that would make sense because then you wouldn't know what buttons to hit, so what else could it be?

does that mean they hide the prompts during the QTEs? i dont see how that would make sense because then you wouldn't know what buttons to hit, so what else could it be?

It means the tooltips that pop up when you're in range for a melee attack/stealth kill.

Evolved1

I turned off object highlighting in Silent Hill: Downpour and spent 2 hours looking for.. i didn't know what, until i turned it on again and noticed that one wrench in a corner (in a multi-floors-with-several-rooms house) was actually retrievable.. but it blended perfectly with all the other decorative objects (including tools) in the environment, and i also didn't know i needed a wrench for the puzzle.
I hope this won't end up the same, because as cool as realism is, games have a lot of limitations that reality does not have.

I'm just guessing what it is. And going by initial feedback to the reworked HUD, people like myself and others complained about the icons. Those are what "pop" out when you near an item, and are the most gamey... seems like it would be easy to disable. And there's no good reason to assume it includes the object highlighting that was present since the game was first revealed.

Not many complained about the highlighting... but lots were kinda grossed out by the icons that pop up. Seems like highlighting would have a separate toggle.

Maybe not. We'll see soon enough.

I can appreciate the effort of any game which gives the ability to turn off options like these, but it doesn't resolve the question of whether the game itself was designed with their use in mind. If it was, then not using them is just an artificial difficulty increase that goes against the actual design. But if it was added later in development as an addition to make the game more accessible to less skilled players that's great. I'd prefer a more uniquely designed game that's built around gameplay that assumed these systems wern't present.

The universal fast travel thread popped up again and its an apt comparison. You can play Skyrim without fast travel but it was designed with its use in mind and that's clear in every aspect of quest design and world building. Or look to the Arkham series, you can play the game without detective mode but it was designed around its existence and use.

The use of these kinds of systems can be a crutch to avoid difficult design problems. What kind of mechanics and gameplay systems would developers use if they couldn't use universal fast travel or detective type modes? I think the answers to that design problem will result in more intuitive, engaging, challenging, and unique gameplay experiences.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, I think ND have a better handle on things, but that is a setting I'd leave on personally. Based on the demos they've shown, it seems kind of random what you can and can't interact with, for example some drawers you can open, some you can't. Which means there's a physical box around the drawers that work which when you press whatever the button is, it will open, but not getting close enough, or not stopping still for it to work, or whatever else, could mean easily missing items in a way that only brings frustration.

Listening mode looks lame, but I'm not going assist-free personally.

Gadirok

EDIT: nevermind a post above sums it up better.

Ricky_R

Why would listen mode be redundant?
You are not turning it off for enemies.
sad_face.gif

DUDE.... Using it for clickers is unnecessary, is what he's saying. He has a point for those enemies alone, but you can use it for every other enemy.

Am I using redundant wrong?

Uncharted 3 also hides the button prompts on hard. People like to call them qte's but that's not what they are. There's a slight slow motion effect that gives you the cue to counterattack, the button prompts are just there to hold your hand, you can do whatever you want during a fight. TLOU probably works like that.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm keeping violence on.

Me too!

But everything else - OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF.

I love when games include options like this, because that's really how to accommodate shitty no-skill gamers that hate life and themselves: you include options so that their barely functioning motor skills can be appeased. Don't ruin it for everyone else by pandering to them, ya know?

Now the last thing I need to hear is that the game has meaningful flexibility and is actually challenging, because all this talk of horror and scarcity of supplies means nothing if death never comes. No tension would exist at all, just like Uncharted platforming segments/cinematic gameplay moments. Optimism upgraded from 'barely there' to 'moderate' now.

mattp

Now the last thing I need to hear is that the game has meaningful flexibility and is actually challenging, because all this talk of horror and scarcity of supplies means nothing if death never comes. No tension would exist at all, just like Uncharted platforming segments/cinematic gameplay moments. Optimism upgraded from 'barely there' to 'moderate' now.

yep

Cramoss

Oh hell yeah, based ND gods.

Me too!

I love when games include options like this, because that's really how to accommodate shitty no-skill gamers that hate life and themselves: you include options so that their barely functioning motor skills can be appeased. Don't ruin it for everyone else by pandering to them, ya know?

9MTz7.gif

Evolved1

Me too!

Game has ferocious OHK enemies. Pretty ballsy.

Me too!

I've barelywatched anything on this game and I'm getting so excited for it. I have no idea what I'm walking into other then the base idea of the game and the first reveal trailer gameplay!

Endesu

Why so much implied hate for subtitles? I definitely have an easier time understanding dialogue when it's up there on the screen - otherwise it tends to get lost in all of other the noise of the game itself. Might just be my problem, though.

I can see turning everything else off, though. Might do that myself, make it more of a 'Siren' experience that way.

Zaventem

All those prompts should have never be there in the first place. It'll probably end up like the hundreds of games where you hear people say "well you don't have to!" and the ame is build around it. R.I.P

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So glad I've been in the dark for this game for awhile.

No HUD for me, so this pleases me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why so much implied hate for subtitles? I definitely have an easier time understanding dialogue when it's up there on the screen - otherwise it tends to get lost in all of other the noise of the game itself. Might just be my problem, though.

I can see turning everything else off, though. Might do that myself, make it more of a 'Siren' experience that way.
Subtitles are really distracting for me and usually wind up ruining tension and flow of cutscenes. I read far faster than the dialogue is delivered and wind up getting impatient. They also usually spoil surprise character deaths or interruptions because they put too much text on screen at once.

I only just found out recently about listen mode and it sounds like it was put there for people who don't have the sound systems necessary to be able to properly hear the location and movements of enemies. I'll likely be turning it off as long as my headphones hold up.

Gadirok

Me too!

The Uncharted platforming is mindlessly dumb or extremely frustrating when I can't see where I'm going. Then again I only played Golden Abyss and a bit of 2 so what would I know.

I saw some gameplay footage from the singleplayer (can't remember where they displayed a demo) but it seemed pretty frustrating and death from the infected was scary and fast. Neogaf had a thread on it. You have like no chance against surviving against the infected from that demo, looked crazy good and had alot of depth and challenge.

Hoping more info releases by the end of tonight.

Subtitles are staying on for dialog. I hate when a character is out of range and I have a hard time hearing what they said, and the subtitles allow me to move around the environment and I can still keep up with the conversation.

As for the rest of those, we'll see. Seems like the game might be built around some of these systems, but they have the option to turn it off so puffy-chested "me hardcore gamr" can play without, fucking up the pacing of the game through irritating trial-and-error stealth sequences

Amir0x

Banned

I actually feel like the old man shouting at a cloud all the time now :(

I've barelywatched anything on this game and I'm getting so excited for it. I have no idea what I'm walking into other then the base idea of the game and the first reveal trailer gameplay!

I have refused to watch any other than the initial reveal one and the second trailer ever released, and that's about all I seen. Half the interest in these worlds is in discovering and exploring new areas, so to me it's a huge spoiler to have these things ruined. Far more important to me than someone spoilering a game story, since I have complete confidence the story in this game will blow just like 99% of all other games. So I won't hold that against The Last of Us.

ViewtifulJC said:
fucking up the pacing of the game through irritating trial-and-error stealth sequences

only if you suck. Any good design game will allow gamers with actual skills to pass any obstacles, no matter how challenging, provided they are applying what they learned correctly.

only if you suck. Any good design game will allow gamers with actual skills to pass any obstacles, no matter how challenging, provided they are applying what they learned correctly.

Sure. And the good games you feel satisfied with playing through the sequence a few times, thinking, "Well, that felt good to overcome!"(DKCR). And the bad challenging games you throw yourself into a brick wall again and again until you get through it, thinking, "Well, never want play that piece of shit again"(Super Meat Boy).

IDK where this game will land. Eager to read actual impressions from people who played the game and what they recommend.

demolitio

No kidding. I don't recall ever having a human take more than 1 shot to head in Uncharted besides the armored guys like you said.

Not sure how that's spongy but I'd understand if he was talking about chest shots which take quite a few but Last of Us won't be nearly as bad as that from what we've seen. Headshots are pretty constant in the gaming world and even the spongy games make it worthwhile to aim for the head.

I'm glad they listened to feedback and made Listen Mode an option. I enjoy a good challenge in games and having to take it slow so it will naturally be off right away in my house. :D

Ricky_R

Add me to the subtitles on camp. I understand English pretty well, but I find it hard to understand everything clearly when they talk too fast or too low.

They don't distract me at all. Been using them since I was little.

Top Bottom