• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us PS3 vs PS4 comparison (spoilers!)

Persona7

Banned
So are the PS4 cutscenes going to be higher quality video files? How are they going to fit that on the disk? It was practically full on PS3 and the compression is really noticeable.

No it looks like that because the video is horribly compressed.

PS3 direct capture 'blown up to 1080p':
loups3bc0ldo.png

gamespot PS3:
loups3volbzy.png

gamespot PS4:
loups4v86xeh.png

Jesus Christ at the Gamespot picture. I knew it wasn't as blurry or muddy as the video suggested, good to have that confirmed.

Gamespot should be embarrassed by this comparison.

Just when I think i'm out, they pull me back in.

Beat the game 4 times last year and will beat another 2 times this year. Damn.

Edit: Thats some shitty compression. Put up the HQ version Gamespot

UrbanRats

Naughty Dog should simply release a gameplay comparison straight up, because this video doesn't look like it's a massive improvement like, say, GTAV is.
And i think part of the reason is that it's mostly cutscenes.

StuBurns

Banned
It seems like a much bigger improvement than GTA. GTA already had better IQ than TLoU, the new version isn't as clean as the new TLoU, so it hasn't made as much of a leap in IQ, and TLoU has doubled the framerate, GTA is just 30 as far as I know.

RooMHM

Jesus Christ at the Gamespot picture. I knew it wasn't as blurry or muddy as the video suggested, good to have that confirmed.

Gamespot should be embarrassed by this comparison.
Hmm. It does favor the remake and makes people think the jump is incredible, it sells the remake. They won t be embarrassed, they sold the game to gamers, their job is done.

UrbanRats

It seems like a much bigger improvement than GTA. GTA already had better IQ than TLoU, the new version isn't as clean as the new TLoU, so it hasn't made as much of a leap in IQ, and TLoU has doubled the framerate, GTA is just 30 as far as I know.

GTAV has a very much improved LoD, world detail (added grass) and actually new content, like added wildlife.

To me, having seen both comparisons, GTAV's improvements were much more obvious.
They should show gameplay, again, because the cutscene were alreay so good, that tweaking textures, and lighting a little bit isnt going to jump immediately to the eye.

GTAV has a very much improved LoD, world detail (added grass) and actually new content, like added wildlife.

To me, having seen both comparisons, GTAV's improvements were much more obvious.
They should show gameplay, again, because the cutscene were alreay so good, that tweaking textures, and lighting a little bit isnt going to jump immediately to the eye.

Yeah, a gameplay comparison should definitely do the remaster more favours.

StuBurns

Banned

I think doubling the framerate and resolution is blatantly apparent.

And GTA5 already wildlife, I remember getting destroyed by wolves or some shit.

quetz67

Banned

If the lighting change is so subtile you cannot notice it, why would you in gameplay? And improved lighting you should notice at all resolutions even in blurry videos.

martino

imo hyperbole on ps3 capture ils not an error and is made to be sure large audiance can see differencies where than can miss them

UrbanRats

I think doubling the framerate and resolution is blatantly apparent.

And GTA5 already wildlife, I remember getting destroyed by wolves or some shit.
I'm talking from a "why should i buy this game again" point of view, the additions made to GTAV are very obvious so far, whereas, framerate and resolution aside, LoU's aren't, i think, because they haven't shown in game footage all that well so far (a couple of snippets in the trailer).
Resolution is also increased in GTAV (assuming it's 1080p), too.

If the lighting change is so subtile you cannot notice it, why would you in gameplay? And improved lighting you should notice at all resolutions even in blurry videos.
Cutscenes were pre-rendered and already great on Ps3, allegedly they took that graphical fidelity and applied it to gameplay phases, so that jump would be much more obvious (and relevant, since you actually play, in those parts).

It would also be better since they wouldn't need to spoil the whole thing showing end game cutscenes.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm talking from a "why should i buy this game again" point of view, the additions made to GTAV are very obvious so far, whereas, framerate and resolution aside, LoU's aren't, i think, because they haven't shown in game footage all that well so far (a couple of snippets in the trailer).
Resolution is also increased in GTAV (assuming it's 1080p), too.
Right, but why is more wildlife (I remember there was plenty already, Trevor even has hunting missions) and grass a reason to replay a game? TLoU will be a significantly better experience from the performance bump, it makes playing it on higher difficulties much more attractive to me. I'm absolutely going to get it day one. Right now, the idea of replaying a fifty hour game because it has grass sounds insane.

So are the PS4 cutscenes going to be higher quality video files? How are they going to fit that on the disk? It was practically full on PS3 and the compression is really noticeable.
1080p60. They are probably going to be compressed quite a bit to fit on the disc.

Thrakier

60FPS would make this a complete new experience - it would be actually fun to play it in a more competitive way and it would definitly be more immersive. If it's 30FPS, why even bother.

UrbanRats

Right, but why is more wildlife (I remember there was plenty already, Trevor even has hunting missions) and grass a reason to replay a game? TLoU will be a significantly better experience from the performance bump, it makes playing it on higher difficulties much more attractive to me. I'm absolutely going to get it day one. Right now, the idea of replaying a fifty hour game because it has grass sounds insane.

Because the world building is a significant part of the enjoyment people get from Rockstar games (this gen), and surely the area they really shine on.

Also, i will play GTAV with 60 fps, since i'm getting it on PC. ;)

I want Sony to release a video showing more clearly the improvements though, i'm not trying to downplay the Remaster's value, i just think cutscenes aren't the ideal thing to show, for the reasons stated above.

Mine isn't a "who did the best remaster" argument either, but more of a "who has shown the improvements more obviously", and so far i think the GTAV video was more obviously showing how better than GTAV-ps360 was.

Thrakier

Because the world building is a significant part of the enjoyment people get from Rockstar games (this gen), and surely the area they really shine on.

Also, i will play GTAV with 60 fps, since i'm getting it on PC. ;)

I want Sony to release a video showing more clearly the improvements though, i'm not trying to downplay the Remaster's value, i just think cutscenes aren't the ideal thing to show, for the reasons stated above.

Mine isn't a "who did the best remaster" argument either, but more of a "who has shown the improvements more obviously", and so far i think the GTAV video was more obviously showing how better than GTAV-ps360 was.

I wouldn't be so sure about that....

haikira

With a meaty rig, or turning down a few settings, I don't see it being that far fetched. Max Payne 3 used the RAGE engine too, and was actually a bloody great port. The turn around from Console to PC for GTA5, is a lot longer than than it was for 4, hopefully another good sign.

UrbanRats

I imagine you're referring to GTA IV running like shit (though even that i could get to about 60+ fps, without mods) however, their latest PC game, Max Payne 3, was a fantastic port that looked great and run really, really well.
It seems like they've taken their time with this port, and there were rumors of them working closely with nVidia.
I wouldn't panic.

Tigress

Heh, I'm going to say that it wouldn't be worth getting just for the graphical upgrade. But it is worth it to be able to play it on the PS4 vs. the PS3 (PS4 just runs better) which is why I'm getting it.

To be fair the only game I've seen that was on old gen that came to next gen that would be worth it for the graphical upgrade is GTA V. And for the person who thinks the difference is more obvious on TLOU... I really can't agree. It doesn't look that different to me at all honestly. Where as I immediately noticed how much nicer GTA V looked without even using comparison videos. And having more details like more wildlife and traffic and actual real grass that sways in the wind and better texturess does make an obvious difference. Especially to the many of us plebes who don't notice resolution as much, those are much more obvious changes that even us plebes can notice.

I mean, I thought GTA V looked pretty good on the PS3 (and i know there are people here who complain about it on PS3). And I noticed the difference (meaning a person who isn't so picky even noticed the difference it is so obvious).

GavinUK86

Heh, I'm going to say that it wouldn't be worth getting just for the graphical upgrade. But it is worth it to be able to play it on the PS4 vs. the PS3 (PS4 just runs better) which is why I'm getting it.

To be fair the only game I've seen that was on old gen that came to next gen that would be worth it for the graphical upgrade is GTA V. And for the person who thinks the difference is more obvious on TLOU... I really can't agree. It doesn't look that different to me at all honestly. Where as I immediately noticed how much nicer GTA V looked without even using comparison videos. And having more details like more wildlife and traffic and actual real grass that sways in the wind and better texturess does make an obvious difference. Especially to the many of us plebes who don't notice resolution as much, those are much more obvious changes that even us plebes can notice.

I mean, I thought GTA V looked pretty good on the PS3 (and i know there are people here who complain about it on PS3). And I noticed the difference (meaning a person who isn't so picky even noticed the difference it is so obvious).

Each to their own but there's just as much of a graphical leap in TLOU as there is in GTA 5, it' just that because GTA is an open world they can add more to it to make it look that much better that the previous gen version.

But yeah, back on topic, that GS video is atrocious.

UrbanRats

I'll be getting it for sure, for three main reasons:

1) I have yet to buy/play the DLC.

2) I think LoU graphics deserved a better IQ and platform to really shine.

3) I don't like to keep around a million consoles, so ideally in the future i'd have PS4, Xbone and WiiU (and PC) hooked up to the TV, without the need for any retro one.

GavinUK86

I'll be getting it for sure, for three main reasons:

1) I have yet to buy/play the DLC.

2) I think LoU graphics deserved a better IQ and platform to really shine.

3) I don't like to keep around a million consoles, so ideally in the future i'd have PS4, Xbone and WiiU (and PC) hooked up to the TV, without the need for any retro one.

Are we at the point of calling last-gen retro yet?

Diablos

There's definitely something wrong with GameSpot's footage on the PS3 side. I still have footage of the first two hours captured on my computer (and my capture wasn't the greatest either, but still better than that). Here's a side by side of my capture versus theirs (both are PS3).

Gamespot:
ibbJOx9krhrdye.png

Mine (PS3):
ibnWPy7uE1LMO8.png

You can see theirs is more blurrier and washed out than it should be especially on Ellie's face (you can't see her freckles), forearm, wrist etc. The PS4 version will look better either way, but this isn't a good comparison since their PS3 footage is fucked up.
Haha wow, Gamespot fucked up.

Hugstable

Banned
I say wait til the game comes out... or we get actual gameplay videos before doing these comparisons. You guys are analyzing cutscenes, lets wait for real gameplay to see what truly looks better

Bedlam

Is this a joke? They are comparing pre-rendered cutscenes.

And yeah, I don't know what they did to the PS3 footage but the game sure doesn't look that blurry on PS3.

xion4360

theres definitely improvements, like if you look at the mossy texture on the ground when ellie shows her wrist, looks much refined on PS4 (yeah thats a pre-recorded scene but the enhancements made to the ps4 version are there because the scenes were rendered again to take advantage of them). Regardless its an already beautiful game touched up, hard edges smoothed out, lacking textures spruced up at 1080p 60fps.

Is this a joke? They are comparing pre-rendered cutscenes..

They are comparing the footage we have available.. if there was gameplay footage then they would use that. Anyway the pre-recorded scenes show enhancements too. Its hard to tell a noticeable difference between cutscene and the few gameplay/real-time scenes in the ps4 trailer.

nasos_333

People should keep in mind that the compared footage is from cutscenes, which were already pre-rendered on the PS3. The difference isn't as noticeable here IMO, but in-game difference should be much noticeable.

The PS4 cut scenes are real time ?

Otherwise this comparisson would not make any sense, i mean if both were pre-rendered

I need to see a proper trailer, nothing but gameplay, no cutscenes. And throw in some factions multoplayer footage while your at it Naughty Dog.

Shredderi

Seeing a trailer featuring mostly prerendered cutscenes was definitely a weird choice. It's time to either show a gameplay reel or just a few minutes of one continuous gameplay segment.

Top Bottom