• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us PS4 remaster - direct screengrabs *spoilers*

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think I just hoped for something in line with the Tomb Raider remaster

Why do people keep bringing this up? I don't get what people find more impressive about TR than this. These shots are also from the worst looking parts of the game.

Perhaps due to miscommunication from Sony and Naughty Dog, or simply unfounded expectations from fans and the NAUGHTY GODS GRAPHICS chorus sung (I don't know which as I haven't followed PR around this game closely), there does appear to be a misunderstanding as to what the TLoU Remaster is and what it isn't. It's a port, a last generation game, spruced up in framerate, texture quality, and overall rendering IQ (eg: shadows) on more modern hardware. It's not a remake or reimagining, and not an overhaul in technology. Maybe distinctly cross generation games like Ground Zeroes, Destiny, Battlefield, and all that have given folk the false impression that Naughty Dog was going to deliver a game that was clearly technologically leaps and bounds over the PS3 build despite its last generation origins. Fact of the matter is The Last of Us is not a PlayStation 4 game, and the technology built into the engine was not for PlayStation 4 hardware. The Last of Us is, through and through, in almost every respect, a game made for the PlayStation 3. And here it is ported, running at a higher resolution, better framerate, and with cleaner textures.

The difference is, in my opinion, huge. But I come from a culture of PC gaming where resolution increases and better texture filtering go a long, long way to improve a game's image quality and presentation. The Last of Us is a gorgeous game, but these screenshots even in their compressed .jpg glory show a pretty fucking obvious leap in clarity and image quality. It's sharper, finer, more detailed, and overall in my opinion significantly more pleasing on the eye.

But it's still The Last of Us. That's what you're paying for: The Last of Us 1920x1080. Not The Last of Us: Remake.

EDIT: Pre-rendered cutscenes probably aren't the best example. There should be an increase in clarity going from 720p to 1080p cutscenes, but the assets themselves are still fundamentally the same and not rendered in real time.
We don't need this level headed crap here. I am concerned for this port.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It's an absolutely valid comparison. You will not get supersampled-level IQ in this game like those PR screens showed, end of story.

No. It's not a valid comparison, no more than off screen shots are a valid comparison to direct captures....

And I never said you would get super sampled IQ. I just said you were rather quick to call foul.

Look no further than our very own Console Screenshot thread, and look at the wide variety of IQ in the images. Some of them make Tomb Raider or iNfamous look horrendous, others, beautiful. All dependent on capture and sharing methods.

With this game especially, when we are SOLEY talking about an increase in IQ, having proper IQ in the screenshots you are comparing, IS imporant.

Guymelef

PS4-PS3 (PS3 are png)
09as7r1zkbi.jpg

iX7uT9L2K5Uc.png

xdsnaqljkt2.jpg

ibq77k2kXfyfqk.png

2pgbflhlj72.jpg

ibtw7F1GOjTTOc.png

theDeeDubs

Wow those pics of him with his daughter kill me. As a father of a little girl, this game was like a punch in the gut at times. When you finally get control of Joel at the start, I was afraid of breaking the left stick on my DS3 from trying to make him run faster. Can't wait to play this again.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
that first screen lol, here is a better one

PS3
thelastofusscr_002-large.jpg

PS4

This part of the game never looked good, so I hope people aren't going to fixate on this particular comparison.

Can you upscale the PS3 shots to 1080p to make it an easier comparison?

Is upscaling a still image in photoshop or whatever the same quality of upscaling that happens in realtime between the TV and/or console? This is a not a rhetorical question; I am curious.

Nibel

Remaster =/= Remake

Looks good to me, IQ seems to be very good and the game will certainly benefit from this. Wished we had some huge 1080p 60FPS video files to see how the framerate changes affect the game.

Huggers

Why do people keep bringing this up? I don't get what people find more impressive about TR than this. These shots are also from the worst looking parts of the game.

Because it is one of the only next gen remasters we have. And it came out fairly recently. Until we have a proper side by side comparison though I agree maybe we should hold off. Maybe ND could have done a video like the one TR had comparing the two and outlining the difference.

GladiatoR

Banned
For sure.

And It's just such a shame ND decided for no reason to not use their superdupermagical anti-aliasing technology demonstrated in UC4 on TLOU:R.

Are you all there? I'm not 100% certain that you know how this kind of thing works. Just reads like utter dribble.

More OT, shots are looking nice. This will be my first playthrough of TLOU ever, can't wait.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is upscaling a still image in photoshop or whatever the same quality of upscaling that happens in realtime between the TV and/or console? This is a not a rhetorical question; I am curious.

TVs generally have some added processing but it's similar to what's actually being outputted. It makes the differences much more clear.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hmmm not the ideal way to show off your game huh? Serves Sony/ ND right for waiting this long to get some media out there.

Now that the game is in the wild, we will get some low res pics and video's for us all to bitch over. Nice job to come up with this brilliant marketing tactic.

Hoje0308

Banned
Did he actually take the shots during gameplay, or did he record video, then take the shots? I've done that before and the results are about what you would expect.

icespide

Banned
Hmmm not the ideal way to show off your game huh? Serves Sony/ ND right for waiting this long to get some media out there.

Now that the game is in the wild, we will get some low res pics and video's for us all to bitch over. Nice job to come up with this brilliant marketing tactic.

geeez, at the bolded

rvy

Banned
I don't know what people were expecting. Uncharted 4 trailer like quality? Looks good enough to me.

Personally, no jaggies would have sufficed. I'm more interested in framerates than IQ, but jaggies kill me. Especially given the circumstances.

icespide

Banned
I don't know what people were expecting. Uncharted 4 trailer like quality? Looks good enough to me.

I don't understand why they didn't just copy over the Uncharted 4 computer codes onto the Last of Us computer codes. I've copied files over from a thumb drive before, it's not that difficult

/s

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Didn't someone actually say they were expecting UC4 graphics? Lol. Yeah, people were expecting way too much. It's a remaster.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know what people were expecting. Uncharted 4 trailer like quality?

There was one guy in another thread a while back who was.

Personally, no jaggies would have sufficed. I'm more interested in framerates than IQ, but jaggies kill me. Especially given the circumstances.
There's hardly any except on some window sills and computer monitors (and that one really bad shot inside the truck). IQ is much better than I expected.

jonnyp

I don't understand the people that think it looks bad or are underwhelmed. Nothing of the media we've seen so far before these images from the remaster has been better or worse.

Hoje0308

Banned

Yep, they've had the largest video game forum in the world obsessing over it for months. For free. Terrible tactics. You should go in there and tell them that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Doesn't look like as big of an upgrade as TR:DE, which is a shame. Still pre-ordered it tho, can't wait.

Which is to be expected, really, as Tomb Raider was a multi-platform title at launch built with greater detail and more advanced rendering technology for the PC build, then spruced up even further with additional details. The end result was a combination of some tech only found originally on PC (and lacking others), and then some new tech entirely. It's a very impressive job that took a lot of steps towards what new hardware can do over the old.

The Last of Us simply isn't that. I dunno, maybe someone from Naughty Dog will come in and prove me wrong, but it doesn't appear such an upgrade was ever the intention. It's very similar in technology, with greater rendering complexity for the right effects, resolution, textures, and so on. It's still fundamentally a PlayStation 3 game. It's close to something like HD collections from the last generation: Metal Gear Solid 2 + 3, God of War, Ico, etc. Improvements made to resolution, framerate, texture clarity, draw distance, etc. But still very much the exact same game running with similar technology. Hell, the Snake Eater port to 3DS had additions to the rendering tech that the HD port didn't even have. And something like Wind Waker HD overhauls major components of the rendering technology much more than TLoU Remaster appears to. Different strokes, different products.

Whether or not that's worth the price attached is relative. I got a few bucks off and put down money, but kind of wish I waited, my gut saying I'm only buying it because there's shit fuck all else I want for my PS4. I can totally empathise with someone who thinks a remaster like this just isn't worth the asking price when other remasters/ports/upgrades are doing more. But whatever.

icespide

Banned
Well he isn't entirely wrong. When you keep stuff under wraps for so long the chance that media gets leaked under sub optimal conditions increases.

sure, but implying it like "oh we've been slighted by ND and now they're getting what they deserve" is silly

Top Bottom