• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered censored in all countries in Europe

Germany is at big fault here (their rating board are just scare tactics), but also Sony, they were the ones that decided to uncensor a pretty lame violence, not German laws, they are only trying to cover their asses.
It's surprising that Sony is even worse than Nintendo in this aspect. Theyve been censoring lot of games lately (they dont even try to submit the whole version to the german rating board, they just cut it before that happens), TLOU, God of War, Twisted Metal and Beyond.
It's probably saving them costs if the german rating board tells them to change something.

German's rating board/law

Nope. GTA has worse violence and is still uncensored, heck many games are much worse than TLOU and they are completly uncensored. As I said, they are just covering their asses (like No More Heores did the first time, as the second came uncensroed in europe), and wrongly so because this would probably not be censored.

The German version of the game needs to be censored. As they and many other lazy companies have done before they can't be arsed to release two versions in Europe so everybody gets the shit one. Same thing happened with South Park recently.

PC european version is NOT censored. South Park is also not censored for its violence but from some pretty hard sex scenes ironically. Also all the swastikas were removed in Germany (and I suppose the hitler's rally voice clip).
The violence in that game remains unchanged.

NIN90

FWIW I doubt there would even be a need for a separate German SKU in the first place. USK is way more lenient nowadays. For fuck's sake, even games like Gears 2 and 3 are uncut over here.
It's just a case of Sony not wanting to bother with submitting the game multiple times if they get rejected.

Self-censorship, ya'll.

PSOreo

Couldn't care less if its just the multiplayer, however stupid a decision it is, if it was singleplayer I'd be cancelling my pre-order.

Marvel

could never
Well that's disappointing I'm not gonna lie. Was hoping this time they'd treat us like adults.

Bittercup

It doesn't need to be censored. They haven't even tried submitting the uncensored version. It's all on Sony.
If that's the case this is really stupid. There is no law against violence in general in Germany and a lot of violent games are released uncut there.
And even if it had to be cut, just release a uncut version for the rest of us like pretty much most other publishers. But not even trying and rather censoring the game across all Europe... :/
Unfortunately that's not the only game that Sony cut for all of Europe. Same happend with Beyond, God of War Ascension and Twisted Metal.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
to refresh my memory .. what gore is missing,..?

Dismemberment in the MP. That's it, I think. SP is untouched. Which I don't quite understand (is it worse when you're doing bad stuff to other human players?), but whatever. But yeah, it's annoying and shitty of Sony to give all of Europe a dumbed down version of the game because of one country (which might not even reject it in the first place, according to many).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sony is at fault because they don't want to eat the cost and/or possibly delay the German version.

I only object in principle not because that dismemberment is needed.

They wouldn't even have to. It's just Sony cutting corners.
How would they not have to make a separate version?

I don't get why they'd do this. Does violence in a MP setting garner a higher rating than in a SP setting? The game is the highest rating anyway, it shouldn't even matter.

I got my copy cheap and I can do without at the end of the day. Still rather perplexing

Lemmy

Banned
Hahaha... ridiculous.

Don't support this bollocks, Europese-Gaf!

TIL twisted metal had bad sales cause of censoring

I'd have thought Twisted Metal got bad sales because it's shit, but I guess you learn something new every day.

Germany have gotten censored games since before the green blood in carmageddon, why is this suddenly a thing?

This is someone being cheap as fuck.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
As someone who has already bought the US PSN version despite living in EU I'm not all that for gore. I don't think the game loses anything by removing the gore. I don't understand the discussion about removing it.

barit

Dismemberment in the MP. That's it, I think. SP is untouched. Which I don't quite understand (is it worse when you're doing bad stuff to other human players?), but whatever. But yeah, it's annoying and shitty of Sony to give all of Europe a dumbed down version of the game because of one country (which might not even reject it in the first place, according to many).

Yes for example Dead Space 2 multiplayer was censored in Germany. Friendly Fire was turned off on default for every match because "oh how evil if you could kill your human being teammate". Don´t ask me about the logic behind this. It sucks and I hate my country for this shit.

NIN90

How would they not have to make a separate version?

The type of violence that was cut would not get a game rejected by USK. I can chainsaw others in half in Gears games or blow Nazis to pieces in Wolfenstein just fine. These games are readily available on shelves in their uncensored glory.
It's just Sony self-censoring before even submitting to prevent the unlikely event of having to submit a second time.

Axial

Was worried for a second until I saw that only the multiplayer portion of the game will be censored. Don't play multi so no big deal for me personally.
The PS4 version will be my first hands on with this title. I hope it lives up to all the hype.

Brunobi02

Neo Member
I find it amusing how you can call lazy a studio that produced 4 of the best games within the spawn of the Ps3 generation and are now making a next gen game along side an hd upgrade. ND is anything but lazy, they are one of the hardest working studios in the industry.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The type of violence that was cut would not get a game rejected by USK. I can chainsaw others in half in Gears games or blow Nazis to pieces in Wolfenstein just fine.
It's just Sony self-censoring before even submitting to prevent the unlikely event of having to submit a second time.
Oh gotcha. I misunderstood. I was assuming you were talking about the unlikely event of it being rejected and then still not doing a separate version.

I find it amusing how you can call lazy a studio that produced 4 of the best games within the spawn of the Ps3 generation and are now making a next gen game along side an hd upgrade. ND is anything but lazy, they are one of the hardest working studios in the industry.
The only person that was using the word lazy was calling the company lazy. By the company he means the publisher, because that's the one that pays for that stuff.

GladiatoR

Banned
I'm yet to play TLOU. Was looking forward to a first ever playthrough of it on the PS4.

100% not buying this now. I don't give a shit if this hasn't affected the single player and it's just MP, it's bang out of order. Fucking disgraceful.

barit

The type of violence that was cut would not get a game rejected by USK. I can chainsaw others in half in Gears games or blow Nazis to pieces in Wolfenstein just fine. These games are readily available on shelves in their uncensored glory.

USK has nothing to do with banning video games in our country. It´s the BPjM who is responsible for that. http://www.bundespruefstelle.de/
The USK only gives rating and references out just like PEGI I believe.

lefantome

Think we knew this alreadly. Going off the giant tlou thread nearly every EU gaffer seems to be getting the us version.

Why are you blaming Sony? It is Germany causing the problems.

Germans are 80millions, whole eu 500 millions.
It doesn't make any sense.

driver116

Sony's own thing. There is no reason to censor a PEGI 18 rated game outside Germany. All other game publishers release a separate version in Germany if needed, like Wolfenstein The New Order that got its own naziless version there.

Wouldn't all MP games in which you would decapitate other players be banned/censored though?

Yasawas

This is a quandary as whilst I don't condone censorship generally, do I really need high definition dismemberment in my life to be happy? I think no. Also I'd maybe need to buy US DLC further down the line and that would just be a pain in the dick so whatever.

SpokkX

Gore does nothing for me so I am actually okay with this

The last tomb raider and wolfenstein was a bit much gore even imo

Guess i got older..

TyrantII

As confirmed by Fred Dutton on the EU Playstation Blog comments, TLoU Remastered multiplayer mode is censored in all European countries, just like the original PS3 game was. That means all gore is gone. I'm not buying this shit.

At the moment, Sony is by far the worst publisher when it comes to completely pointless and unnecessary censorship. They completely fucked the Twisted Metal franchise and actually had lower sales because of it, but they didn't care: they censored PS3 Twisted Metal too. There is no lawful reason to do this, but Sony does it anyway. They seem to be living in a world where GTA5 is not the best selling game of last gen with all its violence unaltered in Europe.

Is anything going to make Sony stop censoring these damn games?

There is a totally valid reason; cost. To run limited prints for each country to navigate their censorship laws would be a logistical nightmare and cost a ton of money. So what they do is they pick the more restrictive law and apply that for the entire EU region.

Don't like it? Well Sony has made games region free and you're free to import it from a region will less strict laws.

And it could be worse. You could live in Australia where some games never see the light of day or are neutered besides just the blood, guts, and gore on top of the currency exchange rates.

Top Bottom