• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered censored in all countries in Europe

TyrantII

I will say there is something sadistically satisfying of sneaking up on a enemy in MP and taking his head clear off with a shotgun.

Import guys. Same PSN, nothing different but the censored stuff, and ND include all their region language packs on their games anyways. There no reason not to besides being a bit cheap.

Bittercup

There is a totally valid reason; cost. To run limited prints for each country to navigate their censorship laws would be a logistical nightmare and cost a ton of money. So what they do is they pick the more restrictive law and apply that for the entire EU region.
If this was the norm I would agree with you. But usually the rest of Europe get their games uncut if a game is censored for Germany. If even smaller publishers can do it, Sony can and should as well. And I don't think it's even certain that they had to censor the game in the first place.

Vaga

I tweeted both Naughty Dog and Yoshida days ago about this and got no response. I bet if more people would bug them about it will spark a reaction regarding this stupid decision.

And yeah it is a big deal. Everything about censorship is a big deal.

Pennywise

If this was the norm I would agree with you. But usually the rest of Europe get their games uncut if a game is censored for Germany. If even smaller publishers can do it, Sony can and should as well. And I don't think it's even certain that they had to censor the game in the first place.

Plus they haven't even tried to get it through the process again.

aravuus

I oppose censorship as much as anyone, it's annoying as fuck but I have to say I just can't help laughing when I see posts like this

I'm yet to play TLOU. Was looking forward to a first ever playthrough of it on the PS4.

100% not buying this now. I don't give a shit if this hasn't affected the single player and it's just MP, it's bang out of order. Fucking disgraceful.

Damn. Import it bro, you'll get the game you clearly want to play, uncensored, possibly for a cheaper price even AND you send a message that you won't buy censored products!

Unless you were.. Gasp, concern trolling?! No, I'm sure you wouldn't do that

Still I think this is a bit odd. Naughty Dogs are some of the best things that have happened to Sony in a long time, you'd think they'd do everything to keep them happy and deliver the best, most complete possible TLoU to everyone

The true answer probably is that Sony doesn't want to pay enough money to get it through the USK. We got Gears of War 3 uncensored here in Germany.
And even then Sony could release a censored version just for Germany like others do.

Maybe it's australia causing the problem, because you know, they are pal region as well. I don't know, Sony does weird stuff.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Can i buy a hardcopy US vers. and play it on my pal ps4? And if i do but play over EU servers, will "the game" know and censor my game ? :'(

TyrantII

I should have expanded on that a bit too. Its also for access. Much like films in where they shoot scenes slightly different to get a PG13 rating and wider access vs an R rating that effectively restricts purchases from minors. Think how Nolan's Batman's movies never show someone getting hit by a bullet, only the guns firing to get that PG13 rating.

Sony is probably aiming for a rating in Germany that will allow it to be sold unrestricted and thus to the largest customer base, on top of the logistic problems above. And honestly, the restriction is mostly only cosmetic.

TP-DK

if I import the US version will I still be playing on the EU servers? Sony's games usually have seperate online servers for each region, but is the server you're on based on the game disc, your ip or a third thing?

And anyone know a good site to import it from, where there wont be a risc of it getting caught in customs?

TyrantII

if I import the US version will I still be playing on the EU servers? Sony's games usually have seperate online servers for each region, but is the server you're on based on the game disc, your ip or a third thing?

Almost all MP games are world wide on the PSN. If there is grouping or matchmaking its soft and done via IP or latency. IE it won't block you from partying up with anyone and joining whatever you want.

Only a few games actually restrict you to regions or ask you to pick one. ND games are NOT one. Import away!

lol... toned down.. we are talking about some exploding legs and heads in multiplayer.. its a simple animation...

The game is ecaxtly the same, besides some exploding limbs animations in mp..
If it's so insignificant, why not include it then? It's censorship, all to appease a single country and their regulations and, rather than release an uncensored version outside of Germany, they nanny state the entire European market.

DC1

I'm yet to play TLOU. Was looking forward to a first ever playthrough of it on the PS4.

100% not buying this now. I don't give a shit if this hasn't affected the single player and it's just MP, it's bang out of order. Fucking disgraceful.

Clearly, you're not this passionate? Clearly you will not deprive yourself of one of the great single player experiences in the history of console gaming because of the removal of visual gore from the MP component?

Take a deep breath and just say "Whatever!" and then give your knee jerking a pass.

:)

If this is a troll, I'm suggesting a seat at the regulatory table to present new Trolling Guidelines.
Gaf is starting to turn into a game of "Do You Think This is a Troll?" :(
And the Troll Defensive back down tends to absolve some from damnation or if your lucky, horribly positional shame. :( x2

Sometimes I just want to engage in real conversation with delusional, but respectful folk.

Where my dogz at?
...any support?
DMX?

Bittercup

I should have expanded on that a bit too. Its also for access. Much like films in where they shoot scenes slightly different to get a PG13 rating and wider access vs an R rating that effectively restricts purchases from minors. Think how Nolan's Batman's movies never show someone getting hit by a bullet, only the guns firing to get that PG13 rating.

Sony is probably aiming for a rating in Germany that will allow it to be sold unrestricted and thus to the largest customer base, on top of the logistic problems above. And honestly, the restriction is mostly only cosmetic.
It's not really comparable to PG13 movies. The Last of Us has a Pegi 18 rating in Europe and USK 18 in Germany. Selling a uncut version in Europe wouldn't change that and probably even in Germany it wouldn't.
And the problem with the argument is, that even if they had to censor the game for Germany to avoid getting the USK 18 rating refused it doesn't explain why the rest of Europe gets the cut version as well. Costs and logistic problems are certainly higher with separate versions but like I said, it's not the norm to censor EU wide for other publishers.
Plus to make imports inside of Europe less attractive, Sony already releases separate versions for different countries. For example the UK version usually lacks multilingual support that is included in the German version, so there are already different versions in Europe.

Lima

If it's so insignificant, why not include it then? It's censorship, all to appease a single country and their regulations and, rather than release an uncensored version outside of Germany, they nanny state the entire European market.

This is not because of Germany. The game would pass uncensored with a "ab 18 Jahren" rating with a 99% chance.

Sony is self censoring the game to avoid even the 1% of having to resubmit it.

You can't blame Germany if the USK rating board didn't even have a chance to review the uncensored version.

Daffy Duck

Right, just through principal I'm thinking of getting this off the US PSN store now.

As a UK citizen how do I create a US account? I understand Oregon has no sales tax so I should use an address there.

I then just buy some US PSN cards from Amazon.com (creating another US account with a US address?) and topup my new US PSN account and boom, gore galore.

Is this all correct?

There was a website I remember seeing that allowed you to create these addresses, something link link border or so, but my memory isn't clear.

Thanks

This has nothing to do with Germany. Beyond was censored because of PEGI. It varies from game to game. Some games didn't need to be censored at all, but Sony does so anyway in advance. They are just lazy and definitely to blame.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
As a UK citizen how do I create a US account?

The same is possible for US accounts, but there's a few more steps. Thankfully, the new Amazon PSN store makes it easier.

How to buy on US PSN from the UK (this won't work for PSVita and PSP stuff)

1) You will need a US address. Borderlinx up top will get you one, alternatively use Google.
2) Register for a US PSN account using aforementioned address.
3) Go to Amazon.com
4) Register or log in, and add that US address to your Address Book. Make it default for the .com site.
5) Go to the PS Digital section and buy credit (or games) using your standard credit or debit card with your actual address assigned to said credit or debit card (Amazon doesn't check for address mis-match for digital stuff).
6) Using your PS3 or PS4, log into your US account, and activate the codes.
7) Go forth and buy/download.

Business

Already got my copy from the US store, almost glad it's confirmed censored so I didn't do it for nothing. I know I'm a terrible person.

This is not because of Germany. The game would pass uncensored with a "ab 18 Jahren" rating with a 99% chance.

Sony is self censoring the game to avoid even the 1% of having to resubmit it.

You can't blame Germany if the USK rating board didn't even have a chance to review the uncensored version.
USK (what I mean when I say "Germany") have, in the past, been very heavy handed with banning games due to "high impact violence". Sony are probably right to have the censored version because USK probably would ban it given their previous bans. Sony are wrong since no othee restrictions really exist outside of Germany if it gets a PEGI rating. The censored version only exists because of the German market though.

TP-DK

Almost all MP games are world wide on the PSN. If there is grouping or matchmaking its soft and done via IP or latency. IE it won't block you from partying up with anyone and joining whatever you want.

Only a few games actually restrict you to regions or ask you to pick one. ND games are NOT one. Import away!

Well Killzone Shadowfalls servers are divided by regions, but now that you mention it I do recall that Uncharted 3 was worldwide and I think TLOU was too.

But as long as it's based by my IP I can without worry import it, so thanks for the answer :)

kpaadet

Just pre-ordered the US version, doesnt matter how trivial the content being censored is I dont want the censored version of this masterpiece again.

Xando

USK (what I mean when I say "Germany") have, in the past, been very heavy handed with banning games due to "high impact violence". Sony are probably right to have the censored version because USK probably would ban it given their previous bans. Sony are wrong since no othee restrictions really exist outside of Germany if it gets a PEGI rating. The censored version only exists because of the German market though.

Thats not really true anymore, 5-6 years ago i would have agreed but USK got a lot easier on game censoring. The only thing they really censor is Nazi symbols because they are forbidden in our constitution.

Lima

Yeah in the past. This hasn't been the case in the last 4 or 5 years however. I can't even remember the last time a game was censored because of violence in Germany.

The most brutal game this year, the new Wolfenstein, is uncensored in regards to violence without problems in Germany.

ViviOggi

The German version of the game needs to be censored. As they and many other lazy companies have done before they can't be arsed to release two versions in Europe so everybody gets the shit one. Same thing happened with South Park recently.
It's not that many really, most sensible publishers have always released either a censored version in Germany or none at all. Meanwhile Sony has been doing this lazy bullshit on and off since the first God of War.

MMaRsu

Banned
Looool fuck that. Not buying this bullshit. I feel like we should throw a big fit about this. Wtf is this bullshit? What country is responsible for this?

At least this saves me 45 euro's. I was gonna get this for multiplayer but does this mean MP is region locked as well?

murgo

Thats not really true anymore, 5-6 years ago i would have agreed but USK got a lot easier on game censoring. The only thing they really censor is Nazi symbols because they are forbidden in our constitution.

AND because video games are still not considered art here. Nazi symbols in movies are no issue at all.

I'll keep my UK version preorder. I want the Day1 edition content and I don't wanna have any problems with potential future DLC. SP is the most important aspect of the game for me anyways, MP is just a bonus.

FDC1

It's not only Germany. I believe Austria, Australia and some middle-orient countries (they're all in Europe in Sony world) have strict rules too about "mature" games. They don't wan't to possibly have to deal with all this differences and prefer to opt for the lowest denominator. It's a publisher's choice.

MMaRsu

Banned
AND because video games are still not considered art here. Nazi symbols in movies are no issue at all.

I'll keep my UK version preorder. I want the Day1 edition content and I don't wanna have any problems with potential future DLC. SP is the most important aspect of the game for me anyways, MP is just a bonus.

If you buy dlc from the us store you wont have problems.

Can we tweet somebody about this?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Looool fuck that. Not buying this bullshit. I feel like we should throw a big fit about this. Wtf is this bullshit? What country is responsible for this?
I guess if you have to go apeshit on a country instead of a company then it's Japan because Sony is a Japanese corporation?

I've already got a US PSN account that I made years ago but it's got a different US address than my Amazon US account where I'm going to buy the store credit, that doesn't matter does it? Redeeming codes aren't address specific.
Doesn't matter.

Jinko

If everyone did this, I think it would be quite an effective way to communicate the nature and impact of the issue to Sony.

Massively lop-sided sales in the US's favour would be indisputable.

Except the majority of people buying the game won't care and even if they did, it would be impossible for Sony to determine which numbers were what.

Top Bottom