• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered has gone gold!

geordiemp

Yeah, I went through this already. Enjoying shallow gameplay isn't a bad thing. Developers making games with shallow gameplay isn't a bad thing, so long as their heart is in it. Developers making games with shallow gameplay while obviously pouring far more effort into bloated, portentous narrative, dramatic direction and performance, while the press falls over itself to praise such an approach, isn't necessarily a future I think gaming should follow. I'm in love with game mechanics and new ways of integrating them and building upon them. TLoU obviously didn't do that. It's a half-baked amalgam of other people's games (including ND's) with dudes swapping cool dialogue and celluloid homage. It bored the crap out of me, both when I was playing it, and when I wasn't.

Like I said, I have preferences, just like everybody we share this planet with does. And that's all they are. If that sounds like a 'high horse' outlook to you, then your issue is you, not me, because you really shouldn't give a damn.

Sorry but this comes across as a 'its not a Nintendo game therefore it has no gameplay' sort of quote.

Some people think 2 D platformers are shallow and a bit 1990's. Opinions.

IMO Its nice to have variety. For its genre this looks excellent.

tskeeve

Yeah, I went through this already. Enjoying shallow gameplay isn't a bad thing. Developers making games with shallow gameplay isn't a bad thing, so long as their heart is in it. Developers making games with shallow gameplay while obviously pouring far more effort into bloated, portentous narrative, dramatic direction and performance, while the press falls over itself to praise such an approach, isn't necessarily a future I think gaming should follow. I'm in love with game mechanics and new ways of integrating them and building upon them. TLoU obviously didn't do that. It's a half-baked amalgam of other people's games (including ND's) with dudes swapping cool dialogue and celluloid homage. It bored the crap out of me, both when I was playing it, and when I wasn't.

Like I said, I have preferences, just like everybody we share this planet with does. And that's all they are. If that sounds like a 'high horse' outlook to you, then your issue is you, not me, because you really shouldn't give a damn.

That's fine if you didn't like it, but you honestly believe that the gameplay is shallow -- not just simple -- but so basic as to be a negative mark against the game? And how much more reductionist can you get about the narrative? If you think that TLoU's narrative is a weak point then I can't even imagine how you enjoy other game stories at all.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

It does sound like you're on a high horse, because your posts are full of that very typical subtle internet-kid elitism. It's ok, you're entitled to your opinion, and i get that in order for your posts to garner attention you have to post contrarian opinions with a strong voice but.... can't blame us for laughing after your "no true scotsman" gamer rants and calling what is widely regarded as one of the best modern video games "shallow" with "bloated, portentous narrative."

it's particularly funny considering how much solid the game's mechanics are and how subtle the narrative is.

Carnby

Would they really lock advertised content away like that? Like if someone sees the DLC on the box and then gets home but they don't have internet to download it because they live away from the city.

They would have advertise that an internet connection is required.

Lima

Would they really lock advertised content away like that? Like if someone sees the DLC on the box and then gets home but they don't have internet to download it because they live away from the city.

Who are these people?

If they actually exist fuck them.

i sure hope it sells more than that halo collection...

Not sure why you hope that. But i think it will.
Just because of the sheer amount of new PS4 users who had an xbox before.
The people who bought an xbox probablly had a 360 to begin with, and not everyone will be interested in replaying them.

Top Bottom