• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered has gone gold!

StuBurns

Banned
I think TR did it little better [no need to press crouch button to activate soft-cover mode], but both games have good combat traversal.
I had more issues with the TR implementation, but fully automated would be nicer if it were also flawless, or at least closer to it, yeah.

The Order has soft-cover too, hopefully it's a trend we'll see develop.

Carnby

I'm in this thread to read about people talk about The Last of Us, from both angles.

But I hate it when people dismiss each other's arguments based on "motives" and "false information," which is why I posted. My expression of TLOU's quality was just a supporting argument, not a troll.

I don't see the point of going into a thread of a game that you are not a fan of, just to argue with people who like the game. You aren't going to change our minds and we are not going to change yours. So what's the point?

Example: I don't like Halo, and I never will. To me it is just another generic FPS. But I have never once posted in a Halo thread. Why would I?

Feel free to search my post history.

I didn't mean to imply that other opinions annoy you.

I'm talking about the trend where games influence other games. Uncharted 2 influenced a lot of games going forward.

Now we're talking about TLOU and if the people making games, the people buying games and the people reviewing games think this is one of the best games made in at least 2013, then it's quite likely to be influential.

I see your point. But I didn't feel that TLOU was bad in any way, so taking inspiration isn't something I feel negatively about (it could even be a positive because something I'm neutral on is better than something broken or flawed). And in any case, AAA development already seems to be converging into a smaller and smaller box of genres, so the end result might not matter as much as we might predict.

I don't see the point of going into a thread of a game that I'm not a fan of, just to argue with people who like the game. You aren't going to change our minds and we are not going to change yours. So what's the point?

I am not arguing about the quality of the game. I'm just saying, argue about the game, not about how your opponent is delusional or hasn't played it, or whathaveyou. I like reading conversation about games, that's why I'm here. The point of me posting was to call out a shitty argument, that's it.

Have you even played the game? Let me guess, you played on another profile other than the one you list on neogaf. That would explain why you don't seem to have played the game at all. (oh I see now, you never finished it)

What?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Feel free to search my post history.
I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe...

tumblr_lotxf4Dj9m1qlfu1ho1_500.gif

foxdvd

He could've played it at a friend's house. You really are making his point for him by doing this.

but what is his point? This thread started because the game has gone gold. The game is considered a masterpiece. I don't think people that love it are going on and on about it in some sort of self deluded hypnotic state that requires people that don't love it to to knock them down. There are a lot of great games that I think are overrated, 2 of them from Naughty Dog themselves. I might drop into a thread about Uncharted 2 that is talking about how amazing the game is to say I felt that at times I was watching the greatest game ever being played but not actually playing it. I might go into a thread that is asking if buying Uncharted 3 is worth it, just to say that that I felt the game was solid but overrated. I would not go into a thread talking about a game going gold to say these things. This thread had some gushing and people just HAD to try to knock the thread down. There happens to be another thread for that argument on the front page.

Both sides of the argument here can be extreme, I get that, but my original point stands. Maybe Neogaf does a better job keeping it in check, but if you want any sort of evidence that people who have not played a game will bash it, just check out user reviews on metacritic, or many other sites. It is amazing how many 1 out of 10 reviews console exclusives get.

Carnby

I am not arguing about the quality of the game. I'm just saying, argue about the game, not about how your opponent is delusional or hasn't played it, or whathaveyou. I like reading conversation about games, that's why I'm here. The point of me posting was to call out a shitty argument, that's it.

Really?

I played The Last of Us and I thought the gameplay was perfunctory, mundane, and purely average in every way. The presentation, sound, and characters were great, but the part that mattered to me? Forgettable.

If you don't like the game, that's fine. I'm not going to argue. I came here for hype, not an argument.

but what is his point? This thread started because the game has gone gold. The game is considered a masterpiece. I don't think people that love it are going on and on about it in some sort of self deluded hypnotic state that requires people that don't love it to to knock them down. There are a lot of great games that I think are overrated, 2 of them from Naughty Dog themselves. I might drop into a thread about Uncharted 2 that is talking about how amazing the game is to say I felt that at times I was watching the greatest game ever being played but not actually playing it. I might go into a thread that is asking if buying Uncharted 3 is worth it, just to say that that I felt the game was solid but overrated. I would not go into a thread talking about a game going gold to say these things. This thread had some gushing and people just HAD to try to knock the thread down. There happens to be another thread for that argument on the front page.

Both sides of the argument here can be extreme, I get that, but my original point stands. Maybe Neogaf does a better job keeping it in check, but if you want any sort of evidence that people who have not played a game will bash it, just check out user reviews on metacritic, or many other sites. It is amazing how many 1 out of 10 reviews console exclusives get.

You could just ask me what my point is. And it has nothing to do with TLOU or the quality of TLOU.

My point is: instead of looking at someone's twitter, PSN profile and GAF post history for some insane DectectiveGAF as to why someone feels differently about a game than you, maybe you can just accept their opinion. Just an idea.

That sentence was a supporting argument.

The other sentences in that post are much more important.

If you don't like the game, that's fine. I'm not going to argue. I came here for hype, not an argument.

So did I. Apparently what I got instead is "people who don't like TLOU haven't played it"

benny_a

That sentence was a supporting argument.
I don't see how that sentence supports the argument.

To dismiss other people's opinion with "you just haven't played it" is shitty, but I don't see how you saying TLoU has average gameplay supports that in any way. That just seems like a separate thing.

Not that I encourage you to prove it, but DetectiveGAF finding a trophy attached to your name that has completed TLoU would be support the argument that someone can have played it and still think it's average. :p
(Not that it's needed, because Metacritic has reviews and I doubt Polygon would lie about finishing it. ;-))

Artorias

Banned
All this talk about TLOU going gold is getting pretty heated!

Can't help but laugh at the guy who hasn't played it trying to mediate though. Very interesting.

He said he can't understand why people have difficulty accepting an opposing point of view, and you found his point of view to be so abhorrent you went looking to see whether he'd played the game or not. He's already told you he played the game.

I don't agree with his view of the game, and I don't feel any great need to try and convince him of mine, but that's not the point I was making.

I don't see how that sentence supports the argument.

To dismiss other people's opinion with "you just haven't played it" is shitty, but I don't see how you saying TLoU has average gameplay supports that in any way. That just seems like a separate thing.

Perhaps so. Let me try to re-write the post so my point comes across. New stuff underlined:

---

People attacking TLOU for "mediocre gameplay", or worse for "not having any gameplay, it's all about the story" is inexplicable to me. What I played was a very "gamey" game that in no way had "cinematic" stuff interfering with the gameplay, which has really expertly designed with varied game mechanics that offer a lot of diversity. And as far as shooting goes, TLOU has some of my favorite gunplay of recent times, probably my favorite of last-gen along with RAGE.

When I read people say story is the only TLOU has, the only thing that comes to my mind is that they're trolling and that they haven't actually played the game.

This is the laziest argument I've read in the thread. "I don't understand how people can come to a different conclusion than me so they must not have even ever played the game." Seriously? Like, you seriously can't wrap your heard around it so you have to come up with alternate motives and potential sources of information?

Look, I'm fairly neutral on TLOU and so I'm fairly neutral on the quality of the game. I played it, so you can't accuse me of not doing so. But this is something I see from every side of the discussion, both for and against: everyone trying to psychoanalyze each other, or some up with explanations. Accusing people of not playing the game is insulting and idiotic. Debate the opinions, and quit accusing people of ignoring the facts because you can't reconcile other people's opinions with your own.

I would argue half the people bashing the game have never played it, though they will claim they did, and the other half is that group that just loves fighting.

I can sort of see some of the attacks on gameplay compared to story, but the game was not going for gameplay that made you feel like a badass. You can't compare it to Tomb Raider, because that game wanted you to feel in power by the time it was over. Last of Us tried to ground you in a least some sort of realism, while always making you feel one mistake away from death.

Another perfect example of why these threads turn into trash. Assign ulterior motives instead of actually accepting differing opinions. Can we just talk about TLOU instead of accusing each other and devolving into insanity? That's why I read NeoGAF in the first place, not to listen to personal squabbling.

StuBurns

Banned
Underlined text is really horrible on GAF, it wounds the eyes.

As for differing opinions, I know a girl who's favorite film is Road Trip 2, it takes all sorts.

foxdvd

I preordered this the moment my credit was ready at best buy. I can't wait to see if the 60 fps has the same impact on the game that it did on Tomb Raider.

ClearData

Why are so many people hot for footage? It's been confirmed for 60fps, Naughty Dog is a premier developer for graphics, and everything one would need to know about gameplay is available to sample in the PS3 version. I could not see a single video and still feel confident in putting down my $50.

benny_a

Why are so many people hot for footage? It's been confirmed for 60fps, Naughty Dog is a premier developer for graphics, and everything one would need to know about gameplay is available to sample in the PS3 version. I could not see a single video and still feel confident in putting down my $50.
I think it's fine to wait for footage.

Why someone is hot for footage created by the marketing arm of the company trying to sell you the product instead of waiting for independent third parties is what I find very strange.
If you want hype, you want the former. If you want to be informed, you wait for the latter. Isn't this how it's always been?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm totally fine with people waiting for footage, it's just the people acting upset as if they are being forced to buy the game immediately instead of waiting for the footage that will decide what the game is worth to them confuse me. If you need footage to decide, you probably don't care all that much about getting it day 1.

I'll take both, if that's okay.
Of course. I loved making stories with my action figures as a kid AND launching them competitively with others to see whose landed furthest/funniest/the best etc. I'm just saying that there's room for and a market for cinematic games as well as gameplaymatic games.

This coming from someone who views No Man's Sky as his dream game, mind you.

Well, Cyborg, for one is not convinced. He is going to his NEOGAF grave saying this game will NOT be 60fps, even after devs have responded constantly that it is, in both MP and SP. So maybe he has gotten into people's heads, so they still need proof.

But, I have noticed he has been avoiding most TLOU threads now, so maybe he is trying to distance himself from his comments. (well, except for once in this thread, where he is still questioning the upgrades).

Ricky_R

If gaming has taught us anything is to never take game developers/companies/publishers' word at face value. This is a remaster with a significant performance increase and it's only natural for many to expect footage showing exactly that.

Personally, I couldn't care less about it, but I can understand those eager for some footage.

I'm totally fine with people waiting for footage, it's just the people acting upset as if they are being forced to buy the game immediately instead of waiting for the footage that will decide what the game is worth to them confuse me. If you need footage to decide, you probably don't care all that much about getting it day 1.

Or that.

Exactly.

jediyoshi

If gaming has taught us anything is to never take game developers/companies/publishers' word at face value. This is a remaster with a significant performance increase and it's only natural for many to expect footage showing exactly that.

Still doesn't follow to that degree as footage they release would be held up to the exact same skepticism for the end product. Maybe they've realized that by now.

Of course. I loved making stories with my action figures as a kid AND launching them competitively with others to see whose landed furthest/funniest/the best etc. I'm just saying that there's room for and a market for cinematic games as well as gameplaymatic games.

This coming from someone who views No Man's Sky as his dream game, mind you.

Well then I agree with you, I thought you were choosing one over the other!

And yes, No Man's Sky = wub.

btags

Honest question here: Are games normally announced as gold before they go into final QA or after? I have no idea and would be interested in finding out.

btags

Games usually go gold after all that. AFAIK.

Thanks for the quick response. That is more in line with what I expected, but I doubt this game will have any glaring technical problems while going through its final QA so this announcement is fine.

Persona7

Banned
I still wonder how they managed to fit higher quality cutscene videos and all the DLC on a single disk. The PS3 ver. Is like 43GB and that is with heavily compressed cut scenes and no DLC.

There's definitely a sense of other people's endorsement and herd mentality backing up this game.

It's a slice of fashionable melodrama unique and relatively novel to gaming for many, It was a mediocre movie which required button presses to sustain for everyone else.
As opposed to any other game?

It never ceases to amaze me how high your horse is

Neff

As opposed to any other game?

It never ceases to amaze me how high your horse is

Yeah, I went through this already. Enjoying shallow gameplay isn't a bad thing. Developers making games with shallow gameplay isn't a bad thing, so long as their heart is in it. Developers making games with shallow gameplay while obviously pouring far more effort into bloated, portentous narrative, dramatic direction and performance, while the press falls over itself to praise such an approach, isn't necessarily a future I think gaming should follow. I'm in love with game mechanics and new ways of integrating them and building upon them. TLoU obviously didn't do that. It's a half-baked amalgam of other people's games (including ND's) with dudes swapping cool dialogue and celluloid homage. It bored the crap out of me, both when I was playing it, and when I wasn't.

Like I said, I have preferences, just like everybody we share this planet with does. And that's all they are. If that sounds like a 'high horse' outlook to you, then your issue is you, not me, because you really shouldn't give a damn.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, I went through this already. Enjoying shallow gameplay isn't a bad thing. Developers making games with shallow gameplay isn't a bad thing, so long as their heart is in it. Developers making games with shallow gameplay while obviously pouring far more effort into bloated, portentous narrative, dramatic direction and performance, while the press falls over itself to praise such an approach, isn't necessarily a future I think gaming should follow. I'm in love with game mechanics and new ways of integrating them and building upon them. TLoU obviously didn't do that. It's a half-baked amalgam of other people's games (including ND's) with dudes swapping cool dialogue and celluloid homage. It bored the crap out of me, both when I was playing it, and when I wasn't.

Like I said, I have preferences, just like everybody we share this planet with does. And that's all they are. If that sounds like a 'high horse' outlook to you, then your issue is you, not me, because you really shouldn't give a damn.
Holy crap

What on earth.

Top Bottom