• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Mr Moose

Well yeah, but the PS3 version didn't have shadows there either from what I recall. The pic we're talking about currently has an actual downgrade in that it does not have shadows that the PS3 version does.

iblsPpw3DdS9BK.PNG

yy8rorgojhc.jpg

Closest I could find from the other thread, I could've sworn there was another pic...

Just a couple of hours ago I had the chance to play this game at a retail store in my city and damn, I understand you guys analyzing screenshots and all that, but playing the game at 60 fps it's just another story. I mean, the gameplay goes so smooth at that framerate and you specially notice that when you play the ps3 version that was next to the ps4 one, the difference is just too big,

I'm definitely buying a ps4 next week with the game, it's absolutely worth it playing it again like this.

I dont know how you guys can nitpick so much. In a way its good because im sure developers see it(im sure they browse the GAF) and it pushes them to develope better. its a great game either way. i will be picking this up (still debating if i should trade in my ps3 version for the ps4 one with GS deal) .

I dont know how you guys can nitpick so much. In a way its good because im sure developers see it(im sure they browse the GAF) and it pushes them to develope better. its a great game either way. i will be picking this up (still debating if i should trade in my ps3 version for the ps4 one with GS deal) .

But what we're failing to see is that the flashlight now casts a shadow on ps4 :D. In all seriousness this isn't going to make or break a purchase for anybody, imo the 30fps vs 60fps shadow resolution differences are more interesting.

JLeack

Banned
I forgot about my The Last of Us shirt. It's so subtle.

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

And holy **** the HTC One camera sucks. I have no idea why I bought this phone.

Still not sure if I want to buy this game again. On one hand, I can trade in my old copy and get it with all the DLC for a good price, on the other hand, I've played it to death.

What to do?

Watching the Grounded documentary for like the 20th time since I can't slow down my hype train.

We've been doing a lot of intense screenshot comparing lately, yet holy cow did I forget how beautiful this game was in motion on the PS3.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I forgot about my The Last of Us shirt. It's so subtle.

And holy **** the HTC One camera sucks. I have no idea why I bought this phone.

I feel your pain :( The HTC One M7 is the last HTC phone I'll buy. LG or Nexus next year for me.

antitrop

Games always look worse in screenshots. When you're playing a game you are busy... playing... and the image is moving.
The Last of Us PS3's temporal aliasing was so bad, the game was actually more distracting in motion.

I was hoping that Naughty Dog would go for some TXAA, like Sucker Punch did for Infamous: Second Son, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

JLeack

Banned
The Last of Us PS3's temporal aliasing was so bad the game was actually more distracting in motion.

I was hoping that Naughty Dog would go for some TXAA, like Sucker Punch did for Infamous: Second Son, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Eh, the game looks really good. And the cutscenes are the best I've ever seen in any game. I swear, I can actually shake Joel's hand through the TV.

Games always look worse in screenshots. When you're playing a game you are busy... playing... and the image is moving.

As somebody who takes extremely high quality screenshots you are so wrong. Game is unplayable and I am watching a slideshow at 15 fps (or less) when I line up and take my shots, it looks MUCH better in stills then.

When not taking screenshots to show off the game looks better in motion of course, because it can actually run properly. ;)

dolabla

From what I watched on my tv from the uncompressed 60fps Gamersyde video, the game looks damn good. I can see why some say they think this is the best looking game on PS4. I'm very impressed.

antitrop

SS is SMAA

You're right, they used SMAA 1tx over 2tx, for the temporal antialiasing, but not exactly TXAA. I think it was Shadow Fall and Assassin's Creed IV that used TXAA, specifically.

Either way, any form of temporal antialiasing go a long way for TLoU, because it's probably the game that distracted me most in motion.

JLeack

Banned
As somebody who takes extremely high quality screenshots you are so wrong. Game is unplayable and I am watching a slideshow at 15 fps (or less) when I line up and take my shots, it looks MUCH better in stills then.

When not taking screenshots to show off the game looks better in motion of course, because it can actually run properly. ;)

Interesting. Well, I mostly game on PC where my FPS is always at or near 60, so this isn't really an issue for me.

I see what you're saying, though.

Interesting. Well, I mostly game on PC where my FPS is always at or near 60, so this isn't really an issue for me.

I see what you're saying, though.

So do I. But I was talking about making games look better in stills. When I do that, it isn't fun to see in motion.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You're right, they used SMAA 1tx over 2tx, for the temporal antialiasing, but not exactly TXAA. I think it was Shadow Fall and Assassin's Creed IV that used TXAA, specifically.

Either way, any form of temporal antialiasing go a long way for TLoU, because it's probably the game that distracted me most in motion.
Second Son was modified SMAA T2X. Shadow Fall used FXAA combined with temoral supersampling. I'm guessing something like Second Son's was used in this. IQ seems similar from what I can tell.

antitrop

Second Son was modified SMAA T2X. Shadow Fall used FXAA combined with temoral supersampling. I'm guessing something like Second Son's was used in this. IQ seems similar from what I can tell.

Ya, apparently Second Son used 2tx and Ryse used 1tx, I can't keep all these console games straight.

chaosaeon

Shimmering on things like foliage and fences etc always bugged me. One of the few faults even Crysis 1 had back in its day.

Top Bottom