• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

That shadow thread is hilarious. Somebody posted my missing shadow gif with a joke complaint about Naughty Dog and this ensued:
Watching it full size, the most notable thing is the increase in IQ too, so I don't get the complaint about AA either.

I can honestly say, if it was a spot the difference game that someone hadn't already put big red circles on, I would have struggled to notice those differences.

1 million more pixels, better image quality, shadow 2x resolution, twice the framerate, using the higher quality cutscene models as standard, and you're fretting over some random shadows glitches? Shadow quality which can be increased even higher overall by you choose to select 30fps?

This is the worse you got? Naughty Dog done good then.

Lmao...you might be dangerous if you had a clue as to what you were talking about

Wow, I don't seem to remember them hyping it up to cringe worthy levels. They talked about how well the game played at 60fps, and how it looked better.

What are examples of the embarrassing hype you are even talking about? Sounds like you are trying to create your own narrative that doesn't really exist...

Plus your examples are pretty funny...a door frame shadow? Lol

One person got it:
Look at how flat the ivy looks on ps4 by comparison. This game has no excuse for not looking better in every aspect. Think I'll call Sony and demand a refund on Monday.

And why does anyone try to defend this?! This isn't the definitive version we were led to believe

antitrop

Second Son was modified SMAA T2X. Shadow Fall used FXAA combined with temoral supersampling. I'm guessing something like Second Son's was used in this. IQ seems similar from what I can tell.

The Last of Us PS3 was dynamic MLAA, right?

Maybe they are still using MLAA, but just have it on all the time, now.

Claptrap

I can´t wait to play this masterpiece again!
This time I also plan to play with upgraded audio, until now I only used my pretty bad tv speakers.

Hope this is not to much Offtopic, but I could use some help to decide which Headset I should buy.
At the moment my choice would be either the Playstation Gold Headset or the Skullcandy PLYR1.

So which one should I pick?
Or should I pick a different one?

That's exactly it. You can tell they are using the cutscene models by looking at the hair on Ellie's forehead. On PS3 it's noticeably pixelated and on PS4 it looks perfectly fine, as in the cutscenes. The overall texture quality on the characters is better as well.
Joel might be easier to tell, not sure if it's a different frame but his face looks a bit different now. You can also notice the improved lighting around the hair and the eyes.
ibdYDwhmrE7fQA.gif

I forgot about my The Last of Us shirt. It's so subtle.

And holy **** the HTC One camera sucks. I have no idea why I bought this phone.

We have the same phone and mines never took pics with a pink tint on it.. Even in dark. That is a wide spread hardware problem that HTC is aware of. I think you should try contacting HTC cs and try to get a replacement.

Gaz_RB

Was it confirmed then that Gamestop will give 50% off this game if you trade in the PS3 version?

yessir

I can´t wait to play this masterpiece again!
This time I also plan to play with upgraded audio, until now I only used my pretty bad tv speakers.

Hope this is not to much Offtopic, but I could use some help to decide which Headset I should buy.
At the moment my choice would be either the Playstation Gold Headset or the Skullcandy PLYR1.

So which one should I pick?
Or should I pick a different one?

My vote is for the Gold Headset. Pretty much a no brainer if you use Playstation consoles a lot, and it works great for PC too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Last of Us PS3 was dynamic MLAA, right?

Maybe they are still using MLAA, but just have it on all the time, now.
I'm not sure if it was MLAA but it was dynamic post process. Same method as Uncharted 3 but in TLoU it was mostly off. Pretty sure at the very least this has that on all the time, combined with the fact that post AA has considerably better coverage at 1080p versus 720p.

antitrop

Joel might be easier to tell, not sure if it's a different frame but his face looks a bit different now. You can also notice the improved lighting around the hair and the eyes.

Yo, just wait until we see the difference between the character models for GTA V next-gen.

That shit is going to blow minds, we've already seen the much higher quality character models in GTA V last-gen trailers, because Rockstar lies.

That shadow thread is hilarious. Somebody posted my missing shadow gif with a joke complaint about Naughty Dog and this ensued:

One person got it:

Dude I like posted 3-4 times in that massive ass thread, sorry I missed the sarcasm. Kind of hard to tell when people legitimate nitpick the hell out things all the time.

That shit is going to blow minds, we've already seen the much higher quality character models in GTA V last-gen trailers, because Rockstar lies.

I can't believe anybody took their word. I knew that was better than the old consoles were going to get.
Dude I like posted 3-4 times in that massive ass thread, sorry I missed the sarcasm. Kind of hard to tell when people legitimate nitpick the hell out things all the time.

No hard feelings dude. I was just loving the seriousness that thread has going.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yo, just wait until we see the difference between the character models for GTA V next-gen.

Those trailers were 60fps too, something I doubt GTAV will be on PS4.

I forgot about my The Last of Us shirt. It's so subtle.

And holy **** the HTC One camera sucks. I have no idea why I bought this phone.

Think you can get that fixed by HTC. Some problem with the sensor not being adequately heat shielded. I have the same problem with mine, though I haven't bothered to get it repaired yet.

Also on topic, I simply can't even imagine buying this game day one and playing it at 30fps. Part of it is that i'm never really even able to notice differences between high and ultra shadow quality settings in PC games for the most part, but really, 60fps is the entire reason I want to play this right away. Like, if the upgrades were limited to resolution/AA/etc but the game still ran at 30fps, it'd still be nice compared to the framerate in the PS3 version, but I could probably wait a while to play it. For me personally, the entire reason I need to play this day one is the higher framerate

SZips

Stupid question time:

I pre-ordered this game from PSN a few hours ago. It shows up as being purchased 7/26 on my SEN PS Store purchase history page online. It shows up as "Purchased" on PSN when I browse to it on my PS4. Is that how it's supposed to be?

I only ask because when I went to pre-order it, the notice said it would be available December 31, 2014. I also ask because when I pre-ordered Infamous: First Light a couple of weeks ago, that game actually shows up under my "Downloads" section on PSN with a countdown timer. TLOU does not.

I'm sure this is a really dumb question for most of you, but I since this is only the second thing I've pre-ordered digitally through PSN, I want to make sure it's fine.

Gray Matter

Stupid question time:

I pre-ordered this game from PSN a few hours ago. It shows up as being purchased 7/26 on my SEN PS Store purchase history page online. It shows up as "Purchased" on PSN when I browse to it on my PS4. Is that how it's supposed to be?

I only ask because when I went to pre-order it, the notice said it would be available December 31, 2014. I also ask because when I pre-ordered Infamous: Last Light a couple of weeks ago, that game actually shows up under my "Downloads" section on PSN with a countdown timer. TLOU does not.

I'm sure this is a really dumb question for most of you, but I since this is only the second thing I've pre-ordered digitally through PSN, I want to make sure it's fine.

That's because first light is available for pre loading. TLoU is not. On release day, just go to the game page and download from there.

SZips

That's because first light is available for pre loading. TLoU is not. On release day, just go to the game page and download from there.

Cool. Thanks. I didn't realize they would have that displayed differently. I also hadn't realized that First Light was going to have a pre-load for it.

ron_bato

Well the day one patch isn't up yet for me (maybe because my game is in region 3), so no photo mode yet.

But here's a picture for you all (using the usb export feature on the ps4) -- not sure if it can be considered a spoiler or not, but posting the link just in case.
http://i1.minus.com/ibgZKAHlpU2oHd.jpg

Very impressed with the image quality, and the 60 fps is just a delight (I'm not good at noticing subtle drops in frames so I can't really comment aside from the fact that I have not noticed any significant drops in frames -- I could tell in TR: DE and Infamous: SS when frames skipped, but so far nothing yet).

Well the day one patch isn't up yet for me (maybe because my game is in region 3), so no photo mode yet.

But here's a picture for you all (using the usb export feature on the ps4) -- not sure if it can be considered a spoiler or not, but posting the link just in case.

Very impressed with the image quality, and the 60 fps is just a delight (I'm not good at noticing subtle drops in frames so I can't really comment aside from the fact that I have not noticed any significant drops in frames -- I could tell in TR: DE and Infamous: SS when frames skipped, but so far nothing yet).

The detail of Joel's face is amazing. Tess though,
she looks like she's about to turn.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Holy crap Joel looks good.

Thanks for the pic. Looks amazing.

dolabla

60fps version i would think since he was talking about 60fps in one of his post with the first pic.

If so, I don't know how anybody could complain. That's some pretty amazing quality. I dunno, I guess some people just like to complain.

He doesn't have the patch yet so it wouldn't matter if it's 60 or 30

Ah, ok. Gotcha. So shadow quality should be about the same without the patch, right?

Top Bottom