• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
New game + thats new to me wonder what it entails. Remixed encounters or..
I hope so. I hate games where the "hard" difficulty is just you have less health, enemies have more health and do more damage. To me, that just seems frustrating and cheap

I like difficulties that actually change the game or mechanics, forcing you to actually get better or try new tactics

For example:
Arkham City - no counter icon so you actually had to pay attention to the thugs' behavior and their weapons to react properly (like Batman would), better equipped enemies earlier

Hitman Absoution - more guards were added to levels so your previous tactics and methods might work anymore

DMC - remixed enemies

So I really hope TLOU goes that route. Less supplies to you have better manage what you can find, different combinations of infected, more or better equipped hunters...stuff like that

Soler

Banned
You can express those things in a multitude of ways that don't involve zombies.

Sorry man, I'm just not into that approach. I know I'm in the minority.
First off there's no "zombies"
Secondly what's wrong with the approach
It's not like there's many games In the same style

Shayan

Banned
I don't see how either of those posts are related or how there's anything wrong with them
Continue being a lapdog though

again,these annoying posts from juniors . Why would he be a lapdog? It is an ND game and it would define a genre like UC . As simple as that.If you look at the post history of most of these guys, they are either anti SONY or HALO 4 fanboy

Gigglepoo

According to Kevin Dent the 13 review scores (the lowest score was 9.3) he heard included IGN and Gamespot. Going by Gamespot's review scale it means they at least gave the game a 9.5

Considering that I don't know who Kevin Dent is, I highly doubt he knows what score I'm giving the game. (I'm reviewing the game for GameSpot)

Soler

Banned
You mean enjoy getting excited about games? And educating myself on them instead of using words like generic when you haven't even bothered to do so yourself?
The MP videos don't look particularly exciting nor different beside the crafting mechanic
Are words off limits now?
Excited about video games? You were practically professing your love for a game you hadn't even touched

Soler

Banned
again,these annoying posts from juniors . Why would he be a lapdog? It is an ND game and it would define a genre like UC . As simple as that.If you look at the post history of most of these guys, they are either anti SONY or HALO 4 fanboy
Horrible generalization and a swing and a miss on the lapdog part
Tell me more about how you're better than a junior on a gaming forum

Mr. Fix

I hope so. I hate games where the "hard" difficulty is just you have less health, enemies have more health and do more damage. To me, that just seems frustrating and cheap

I like difficulties that actually change the game or mechanics, forcing you to actually get better or try new tactics

For example:
Arkham City - no counter icon so you actually had to pay attention to the thugs' behavior and their weapons to react properly (like Batman would), better equipped enemies earlier

Hitman Absoution - more guards were added to levels so your previous tactics and methods might work anymore

DMC - remixed enemies

So I really hope TLOU goes that route. Less supplies to you have better manage what you can find, different combinations of infected, more or better equipped hunters...stuff like that

I like you. I've expressed my hopes for these things in the demo thread, but it does look promising for us. Here's hoping it all plays out well.

Dragon

Banned
The MP videos don't look particularly exciting nor different beside the crafting mechanic
Are words off limits now?
Excited about video games? You were practically professing your love for a game you hadn't even touched

Professing my love? When was this?

Also keep in mind I was at PAX East.

Elixist

For example:

DMC - remixed enemies

hah agreed i just posted a similar post. good examples too, DMC especilally for me, I dont even think you could fight some of the enemies types on easy.

Smokey

Kind of surprised this is coming out in E3 week, and on a Thursday no less. Probably the last PS3 game I buy before retiring the OG 60GB.

Vire

Considering that I don't know who Kevin Dent is, I highly doubt he knows what score I'm giving the game. (I'm reviewing the game for GameSpot)

7.0 Confirmed.

Gigglepoo is going to take out his frustrations of the Pacers getting spanked by the Heat on The Last Of Us.

Is it sad that I've just starting putting every junior I see on ignore in fear of spoilers?

Not really. The Dark Knight Rises was spoiled for me because of a suicide spoiler post by a junior. I wonder if I can just put juniors on the ignore list until I finish the game. (nothing personal juniors)

Tomorrow, however, get your hat ready for - "This might top God of War 3's bombastic intro."

I'm hoping for a really frantic, player controlled cold open with no tutorial. That's really the only kind of game intro that can surprise me or blow me away at this point. Unfortunately, so many devs choose to integrate their tutorials into the first ~30 minutes of the game which leaves the experience feeling flat. I'd much rather have the tutorial be a separate option at the beginning of the game in a "test room" where you learn all your basic maneuvers so that the game has the option of starting with its foot on the gas.

Gigglepoo

7.0 Confirmed.

Gigglepoo is going to take out his frustrations of the Pacers getting spanked by the Heat on The Last Of Us.

Holy hell, that was terrible loss. Horrible flashbacks from the '95 ECF.

Thankfully, I finished The Last of Us on Friday and wrote the review on Saturday.

I'm hoping for a really frantic, player controlled cold open with no tutorial. That's really the only kind of game intro that can surprise me or blow me away at this point. Unfortunately, so many devs choose to integrate their tutorials into the first ~30 minutes of the game which leaves the experience feeling flat. I'd much rather have the tutorial be a separate option at the beginning of the game in a "test room" where you learn all your basic maneuvers so that the game has the option of starting with its foot on the gas.

Given how hated tutorials have become by many core gamers and reviewers, I doubt there's one there. Or at least not one that's as in your face as some games. If it's being called the best opening to a game ever, then it's hard to imagine that they have a traditional tutorial in there.

Dragon

Banned
You called a review site a piece of shit for giving an 8
Congrats

Oh silly me I thought we were talking about the game being released in little over a week.

You don't know why I made that post anyway but I appreciate the sentiment.

I like you. I've expressed my hopes for these things in the demo thread, but it does look promising for us. Here's hoping it all plays out well.
Thank you.
Is it because of the post content or because I express my thoughts in correct grammar and with a semblance of intelligence?

Why are you trusting Kevin Dent's tweets about GameSpot's review scores?

This was exactly my thought as well. How does he know what people are giving when a lot off people were still writing their review?
It's probably just to hype the game for some reason even though it doesn't need any help in that department.

Edit:Will you be able to talk about the game on the podcast, maybe even a spoilercast in the future?

Shayan

Banned
Yup you got me
I'm on a mission to hate on TLOU, a game I haven't even played.

People take these reviews way too personally

stay out of the thread if you dont like the game . By the 3 reviews , you can tell its a masterpiece , especially when sites like EDGE, who usually rates SONY games a tad lower, has given it 10

Thankfully, I finished The Last of Us on Friday and wrote the review on Saturday.

wow GS is still around? I stopped reading their reviews after RAC:TOD fiasco. Waiting for IGN's review though

Vire

Haha just teasing.

They put up a damn good fight and you should be proud. I'm certain we will meet again next year. I think you guys should trade Granger for some pieces (particularly someone who can handle the ball, turnovers killed you guys)

Also, looking forward to The Last Of Us review. Any teases you can say?

Andrew.

Banned
Second time today Ive seen a relatively new Junior be genuinely surprised that a journalist is a member here. Pretty cool.

Theres been a massive influx of new Jrs lately. Or is it just me?

Soler

Banned
stay out of the thread if you dont like the game . By the 3 reviews , you can tell its a masterpiece , especially when sites like EDGE, who usually rates SONY games a tad lower, has given it 10
I don't know if I like the game
I haven't played it yet and neitherhave you
Why don't you wait until you start playing the game before you start labeling the game

Soler

Banned
Second time today Ive seen a relatively new Junior be genuinely surprised that a journalist is a member here. Pretty cool.

Theres been a massive influx of new Jrs lately. Or is it just me?
I'm gonna leave this thread
There's a stigma and some animosity towards juniors for some strange reason
(Not saying you do)

Andrew.

Banned
I'm gonna leave this thread
There's a stigma and some animosity towards juniors for some strange reason
(Not saying you do)

Are you serious man? Dont leave. Just dont spoil shit and dont be a dick. Thats basically the two golden rules, which unfortunately most new members seem to break quicker than it took for them to get in =/

mhayze

Hm.. looking at the list of other games that Edge gave 10/10 to - included Halo 3, Bayonetta and Little Big Planet. Not sure what that means for this game, since none of those are bad games (just not 10s to me personally), but it made me go hm...

God Damn the talk about the intro is seriously what is hyping me up the most so far!!! How on Earth are they going to kick this game off? AHHHHHHH I NEED IT NOWWWWWW

Soler

Banned
Are you serious man? Dont leave. Just dont spoil shit and dont be a dick. Thats basically the two golden rules, which unfortunately most new members seem to break quicker than it took for them to get in =/
I know nothing about the story that hasn't been given out so I can't really spoil anything, I want to play it fresh and unspoiled myself
It's just being called a Sony hater or a halo fanboy in a review thread is quite off putting
And I know that if I have to deal with this everytime I post
I'll say something unsavory and it'll lead to a ban
Guess I'll wait fr The OT where people who have already played it can be civil about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom