• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last WTC tower's design revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebra

Aren't those still coming? There were a bunch of different towers going up.

I think that's one of the other towers.

What I posted:
0EnWjvY.jpg

What's in the OP:

Also compare the position here (right next to the station):

This seems to be replacing the cool diamond-shaped building from the old renderings. Pretty disappointing.

Mohonky

this might be an insensitive question, but i'm honestly curious: if a building like this was hit by a plane, would it collapse like the twin towers or would it topple over?

It wouldn't topple over.

In order for it to topple over, the vertical structure of the building would have to be stronger than the forces that hold it upright, which they wouldn't be as the buildings foundations are set multiple stores underground. Think of it like a post 1ft deep in the ground and the post is made of brittle plastic and you put pressure on the side from half way. You'll break the plastic long before you actually get it to 'topple' over. Unless you took out one side of the ground floors, then it might happen, but again the building is more likely to break up as soon as you got any sort of significant angle on the building and the stress on the structure at that point is still likely to fall doenward rather than over because of the weight.

Buildings dont really topple over because they break apart, they dont really bend as such. They can sway in high winds as they are designed to do this but once past a certain angle its more likely the internal structure that makes up the vertical strength gives out and again, the building basically collapses on top of itself before toppling.

turtle553

An interesting design, but aren't they already having a hard time renting out the first tower. Seems like the days of packed office building should be coming to an end.

Jarmel

Banned
An interesting design, but aren't they already having a hard time renting out the first tower. Seems like the days of packed office building should be coming to an end.

That probably has more to due with the actual location itself rather than anything else.

Opto

Banned
One day the architect saw a child precariously stack building blocks and had an epiphany. Conveniently ignored what the child did next.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What I posted:

What's in the OP:

Is it hiding behind the new building?

Also compare the position here (right next to the station):

This seems to be replacing the cool diamond-shaped building from the old renderings. Pretty disappointing.

That was an artist impression and never the final design as far as I know. Either way, the design that was revealed is better than the diamond one.

I actually kinda like it! It makes it look like the twin towers are back, with a slight variation which makes it look pleasing to the eye. Was this the one that was supposed to be have the diamond top in the original rendering?

edit: And I love all the outdoor green space. Very well done. I hope more buildings do that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's a tower... that looks like... it's... falling?

Really?
Indeed. That's my primarily impression. It looks like chunks of the building are sliding away as it topples over.

Doge quotes? Really? That meme is starting to rot already.
I can't tell if you're being serious... those are excerpts from a Walt Whitman poem.

Bregor

It's more original than WTC1, you have to give it that.

I like it, not my favorite Skyscraper design, but interesting.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looks neat. It makes you think about structure, stability, and why our minds would assume the integrity is less than what it actually is.

Bregor

Btw, for those wondering about the stability of a similar stack of blocks, the rule is that the center of gravity of any set of blocks in the stack must be above the support it rests upon. If not, it will tip at that point.

Of course, this is a building, and is bound together rather than just being stacked. But even so it appears to meet this criteria by a large margin.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think it looks ugly from the outside, but I have to admit it's pretty cool to have those tiered garden/outdoor areas on various levels of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom