• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last WTC tower's design revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixedpoint

I like it, kind of reminds me of the New Museum, though obviously on a much larger scale and wearing a suit.
ZYtaxts.jpg

Cub3h

Banned
It only looks like it's falling from that particular angle, it looks less freaky otherwise:

j4cPkM2.jpg

I actually quite like the new design, even though all the skycraper enthusiasts' reactions seem to range from dislike to disgust.

It only looks like it's falling from that particular angle, it looks less freaky otherwise:

j4cPkM2.jpg
Which is the beauty of the thing. A very simple gesture (stagger/sliding the floor plates) results in drastically different experiences depending on your perspective around the building. Its a sculpture that is both elegant and dramatic.

j4cPkM2.jpg

I actually quite like the new design, even though all the skycraper enthusiasts' reactions seem to range from dislike to disgust.

Yeah, once I saw the straight lines of the other side I started to dig it.

NimbusD

It looks messy as hell. The angles just barely work in the context of the WTC site, like looking at it from 1 angle does it not look like a mess that fucks with the silhouette of the other buildings.

It's definitely 'cool' on it's own for sure, but it doesn't fit the context of NYC, the WTC site, and least of all Downtown NYC. It barely looks like it belongs among the other buildings. So so very disappointing.

Let's go even further back. I hated it at the time, but this:

looks infinitely better than this boring mismash of crap

I love how people immediately regurgitate the same "Fucking hideous" responses that seem so commonplace when a skyscraper design that's not utterly by the numbers is revealed. You guys must be a blast at parties.

Fury451

Banned
I love how people immediately regurgitate the same "Fucking hideous" responses that seem so commonplace when a skyscraper design that's not utterly by the numbers is revealed. You guys must be a blast at parties.

Unique architecture is great. A building that looks like stacked boxes falling over isn't. Especially as a WTC replacement.

Lamel

Banned
Looks like it is on the verge of falling over. The other towers are better, this one is a little too out there design wise.

NimbusD

Honestly... think they should have just rebuilt the original towers, twice as tall.

Always though their minimalism stood serene against the rest of the skyline.
World-Trade-Center.jpg

Yep, they were great. Recreating them would have been just a sad thing to do though. But what we have now is a mess and chaos, something that's the complete opposite of 'serene'.

What type of lame ass parties discuss architecture? Are those considered parties? Were there presentations and a lobby at this party?

The building looks like a dubious bar graph.

Dishwalla

Banned
It's funny how the original towers are looked back on fondly since they were destroyed, considering they were derided as soon as the designs were unveiled, and kept being derided probably all the way until September 10th, 2001.

I get why they made One World Trade Center the height that it is but why not go for the record of tallest building and leave the second building at 1776 feet.

We've lost our winning spirit smh

Mii

Banned
I don't care for it. It seems like a nice design if you are viewing it on site or from the bay, but it looks hideous in the shots from midtown.

I also don't like that Fox News and all of News Corp is who requested the change to what was my favorite tower going up in New York, the Norman Foster diamond top tower. The old design brought the whole complex together; this new one just makes it all clash more. Plus Fox is using the base floors for TV studios with glass looking out to the memorial, which I feel is going to turn the memorial into even more a political tool.

I'm just so disappointed by so much of this.

Honestly... think they should have just rebuilt the original towers, twice as tall.

Always though their minimalism stood serene against the rest of the skyline.
World-Trade-Center.jpg
I disagree, not that their.design wasn't good, that's subjective. But I feel like the way the memorials are built, it wouldn't fit to just rebuild them even taller.
Plus, the new tower is barely 104 floors and it's having serious trouble attracting tenants.

Fury451

Banned
It's funny how the original towers are looked back on fondly since they were destroyed, considering they were derided as soon as the designs were unveiled, and kept being derided probably all the way until September 10th, 2001.

Well it's understandable- they came to be iconic landmarks. You can always criticize them, but it's comforting knowing that they're there anyways. But yeah, always found their design to be kinda bland myself.

Opto

Banned
I get why they made One World Trade Center the height that it is but why not go for the record of tallest building and leave the second building at 1776 feet.

We've lost our winning spirit smh

The instant a height was set it would be outdone in like 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom