• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last WTC tower's design revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBalfredo

Looking at the new concept, it actually looks closer to the old twin towers.

C5tRyPp.jpg

1eH8USJ.jpg

The new towers replicating the silhouette of the old towers, even if its just at certain angles, gives me something to get behind. I'll take that over the old four of diamonds design.

antonz

Yeah it looks like they perhaps intentionally shifted to a design that can almost imitate a Twin Towers style appearance from the traditional view people have always been shown them.

I like it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yeah it looks like they perhaps intentionally shifted to a design that can almost imitate a Twin Towers style appearance from the traditional view people have always been shown them.

I like it.

Gotta admit that is pretty cool.

Yeah true but they coulda just did what they did with that one tower in dubai and just shoot for like 1000 feet over the current holder.

I mainly want our "build it just because we can" spirit back.

Now this i definitely agree with.

I hope to god the USA never goes after building the hideous tall towers being put up in the middle east.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like that, from some lower angles, it looks like a stairway to heaven the sky.

Which is the beauty of the thing. A very simple gesture (stagger/sliding the floor plates) results in drastically different experiences depending on your perspective around the building. Its a sculpture that is both elegant and dramatic.
Exactly. Depending on the angle which you view the building, you get a very different experience. Ingles talks about how he used the stacked block design to relate well to Tribeca, while he obviously (though he doesn't say this explicitly) arranged the blocks in such a way that to face appears flat from the skyline view (from New Jersey?). This successfully call out a remembrance to the original Twin Towers. In addition, from skyline, the building appears to slant slightly- in line with the Freedom Tower's own slant.

I love this design, and the only criticism I would make is that in the final design, Ingles should discard the WTC master plan, and make the structure height the same height as the Freedom Tower's last occupied floor.

However, without my (minor) criticism, this is a vastly superior structure to the planned diamond tower, and infinitely superior structure to the original Twin Towers (which, to be honest, were pretty boring at best, and brutality at worst). Bravo, BIG.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I love how people immediately regurgitate the same "Fucking hideous" responses that seem so commonplace when a skyscraper design that's not utterly by the numbers is revealed. You guys must be a blast at parties.

Or maybe people just don't like it? Just because it's unique looking doesn't mean that it gets a pass. It's a building that looks like it is about to topple over, which seems odd considering what it is replacing. Though admittedly, it looks much better from that second angle.

Or maybe people just don't like it? Just because it's unique looking doesn't mean that it gets a pass. It's a building that looks like it is about to topple over, which seems odd considering what it is replacing. Though admittedly, it looks much better from that second angle.

Really, the building only looks like its only toppling over from the air. All the other angles seem to be fine to me. There is a subtle lean, but considering how great the design is otherwise, I'd just ask people to get used to it, basically.

What type of lame ass parties discuss architecture? Are those considered parties? Were there presentations and a lobby at this party?

come to think of it, even though one of my degree programs is housed in the same place as the architecture program, I don't think I've ever met any architecture students at OSU

can they transform into tiny buildings when they don't want anyone paying attention to them?

terrisus

Putting a building that looks like it's falling over, at the World Trade Center site...

"Now you too can look out the window at the World Trade Center site and feel like the building you're in is about to fall over."

Who thought that was a good idea?

Savitar

If the "back" was even while the "front" had the little garden areas I wouldn't mind.

But it being kinda "blocks" with edges hanging off....eh, don't care for it.

Something I realized about the design of the new 1 World Trade Center is that if you stand up next to it and look at it, the angled walls make it look like the building is rising up to infinity. See:

YW9XMZf.jpg

I wonder if they was on purpose. It would be neat if the other buildings had little touches like that, where certain angles make it look interesting.

(I meant to post that in the very recent thread about 1 World Trade Center, but here's a semi-appropriate place as well...)

Timbuktu

Americans sure seem to love BIG, or at least giving him work. I guess he made himself the go to 'cool' architect now that Rem & co are getting old, same with Heatherwick, it's hard to say what exactly he is about.

I don't see much wrong with Foster's design, but he's already got a few iconic skyscrapers under his belt and this is never going to be the most exciting. Despite what they say about the new media etc. it might just be that they wanted more floor space or something mundane like that.

sangreal

Something I realized about the design of the new 1 World Trade Center is that if you stand up next to it and look at it, the angled walls make it look like the building is rising up to infinity. See:

YW9XMZf.jpg

I wonder if they was on purpose. It would be neat if the other buildings had little touches like that, where certain angles make it look interesting.

(I meant to post that in the very recent thread about 1 World Trade Center, but here's a semi-appropriate place as well...)

thats dope -- never knew that

I find it kinda disappointing that, nearly 14 years after 9/11, we're still only at the stage of designing one of the replacement towers.

Seems like a bad look for the country if it takes us this long to get things done :\

Just me or do others feel this way?

pretty sure everyone feels this way. Even Silverstein

Glasshole

Banned
I find it kinda disappointing that, nearly 14 years after 9/11, we're still only at the stage of designing one of the replacement towers.

Seems like a bad look for the country if it takes us this long to get things done :

Just me or do others feel this way?

Wasn't there a shitload of paperwork to be done? Lawsuits etc?

Mii

Banned
Having flipped through some other images of the view of it from midtown, I'm feeling better about the design, but this photo is still what bothers me the most about this

That is a Fox News set that opens up onto the the World Trade Center memorial and PATH train station. It just really rubs me the wrong way that Fox is going to politicize the memorial like this.

YW9XMZf.jpg

That's very cool. I imagine it had to be intentional. To me, it may be a reference to the unfinished pyramid on the back of the dollar bill that references our always improving, yet always imperfect union. Very cool.

"Leaning toward 1 WTC"

Still can't believe that someone thinks this isn't a horrible idea.
Look at the skyline. It works perfectly. And at the end of the day, the "look" is all that really matters. The complaints about its appropriateness in the context of 9/11 will fade with time.

sangreal

Having flipped through some other images of the view of it from midtown, I'm feeling better about the design, but this photo is still what bothers me the most about this

That is a Fox News set that opens up onto the the World Trade Center memorial and PATH train station. It just really rubs me the wrong way that Fox is going to politicize the memorial like this.

They could at least get the station right. Fox 7 in NY?

UFRA

At first I didn't like it, but after I saw it from a few angles it grew on me and I like it a lot now.

I also think it's cool that from certain angles it will look like the original twin towers almost.

I don't know why some people are saying it looks like the twin towers when they fell...neither of the towers tipped over or toppled over like that. They collapsed straight down. So I don't find it insensitive or inappropriate at all.

I look forward to all the construction haha, I work in One World Trade. They just opened up the observation deck and the whole area is insanely crowded. New building looks cool.

Amir0x

Banned
I love the little signs on the bottom of each cascading building section. Looks crazy.

But it is a little weird it looks like a perpetually falling tower, or a giant stack of kid's play blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom