• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert |OT| Beginning September 8th - 11:30/10:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty crazy that he had two brand integrations in his first show with Sabra and Oreo. Seems like a little overkill (though I didn't see the second one because I fell asleep).

Jonm1010

Banned
Pretty crazy that he had two brand integrations in his first show with Sabra and Oreo. Seems like a little overkill (though I didn't see the second one because I fell asleep).

Yeah I hope they reign it in a bit.

I guess I don't know Late Night recently but is this the norm? I hope it was just Colbert going to the extreme like he often does.

Sanjuro

Yeah I hope they reign it in a bit.

I guess I don't know Late Night recently but is this the norm? I hope it was just Colbert going to the extreme like he often does.

Colbert is basically a walking Bud Light salesman.

The new trend is the retro return of in show advertising and Sabra has $$.

Is CBS' paid "all access" streaming service really the only way to watch this other than catching it on live TV? Any other options?

(i know they have a one-week free trial; that's all i got from google. how about after that though?)

I am glad Jon wasn't a guest. Colbert has to walk a fine line between pleasing old fans and being accessible to a *lot* of newcomers, and having Jon there would have felt more like the old show had just moved to the network. There were lots of callbacks as it were (I loved the joke about how doing a monologue standing up was tiring, for instance), but you can't have people feel left out or that this is something continuing from elsewhere.

Do a Jon interview in a few weeks or a month, let the show breathe.

Likewise, I think it was super smart to have Jeb as a guest night one, to show that this is *not* the Daily Show/Colbert Report brand anymore. Stephen made a point of talking about how people can reasonably disagree and just be people. By de-partisanizing it somewhat, he's giving room for people who might think of him as partisan and never would have watched the old show an opening to like him.

NeoForte

Only part that was a low point for me was his opening with the pledge. I liked the concept but I think it's execution wasn't that great. Loved Jon's cameo though. I think Tonight Show Conan had the best first episode opening ever.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I doubt the Oreos segment was a brand integration. The closing credits made no reference to a promotional consideration and the Oreos had a legitimate reason to be there, unlike the hummus.

Like, I'm not some Pollyanna, but not every single instance of a brand showing up has to be an advertisement.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Is CBS' paid "all access" streaming service really the only way to watch this other than catching it on live TV? Any other options?

(i know they have a one-week free trial; that's all i got from google. how about after that though?)

Full episodes are put up for free on the website: http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/video/

Though it'll probably be on the same terms as The Late Late Show, where you get the 6 most recent for free and need CBS All Access to get access to the back catalog.

CzarTim

I think he was surprised too, he seemed to do an 'oops' face and went "I don't even know what that means!" or something.

I was surprised he kept calling his cameraman Jimmy, I thought the joke on the Colbert Report was that the cameraman's name was not and never was Jimmy but Colbert didn't care.
Jimmy is the director, not cameraman

Rival

Gold Member
I thought it was a really good first show and I only watched Colbert report occasionally. Conan is still my guy though.

Loved it. I can't believe are complaining about the brand placement when some of the best Report bits were the brand placements. And I hope the STEPHEN chant never dies.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Fallon had a 3.8.

I think he got a 7.1 using the same measurement. 3.8 is the 18-49 demographic. Conan O'Brien got the same rating when he debuted on the Tonight Show.

They're not very clear in the article which measurement they're using but the articles cites the 7.1 number for Fallon, making me think that's probably catagory they're using.

Loved the premiere - Colbert hit it out of the park. Feels so great to have him back on a nightly basis.

Quick question, though. I was a daily viewer of the TDS and TCR for years, never tuning in for Letterman, Leno, or the like. I knew the commercial break format was going to be different. As many have noted in this thread, their was one particularly long commercial break (approximately eight minutes, or so). Does this longer break typically happen at the same point every episode? It would be nice to be able to roughly predict it, as a 5-6 minute commercial break would be ideal for nightly routine shit à la dental hygiene, lunch preparation, etc.

Loved the premiere - Colbert hit it out of the park. Feels so great to have him back on a nightly basis.

Quick question, though. I was a daily viewer of the TDS and TCR for years, never tuning in for Letterman, Leno, or the like. I knew the commercial break format was going to be different. As many have noted in this thread, their was one particularly long commercial break (approximately eight minutes, or so). Does this longer break typically happen at the same point every episode? It would be nice to be able to roughly predict it, as a 5-6 minute commercial break would be ideal for nightly routine shit à la dental hygiene, lunch preparation, etc.

Iirc Letterman had the same break length, even with the short ticket promo in between

Musolf815

Loved it. I can't believe are complaining about the brand placement when some of the best Report bits were the brand placements. And I hope the STEPHEN chant never dies.
The Pringles bit is one of my favorite things he's done. I think a lot of people complaining about the branding haven't seen much of the Report.

First ep was great the Oreo segment was fantastic, during that segment I really missed the report :(

Looking forward to checking it out every day its on.

Sanjuro

I hope they cancel this pandering piece of shit. I've never seen someone reach to such cancerous depths of shilling for pennies off the floors of multi-billion dollar corporations. CBS should be ashamed in their choice of host.

CBS...

pGQRihB.gif

spliced

The product placement stuff does get annoying at times but I haven't seen him in so long it didn't bother me last night.

My biggest problem with this show is the time slot. I just can't seem to stay up past 11:30 on weeknights with work in the morning. Wish it was on half an hour earlier.

My biggest problem with this show is the time slot. I just can't seem to stay up past 11:30 on weeknights with work in the morning. Wish it was on half an hour earlier.

Yeah. I'm the same way. I'll just have to DVR it or catch it online somehow, but other than that I won't be seeing it live.

Just watch it online the next day. There's no real reason to watch it live.

Yeah, I would but by then it feels dated and I've already heard about anything interesting that happened online. To me it's kind of like sports -- most of the fun of it is watching the first airing. Otherwise, might as well catch the highlights the next day.

I don't think the Oreos were a sponsored segment. They weren't listed as sponsors and Trump's the one who brought them up in the first place.

The Sabra segment was basically Bud-Light Lime 2.0 though.
isn't this pretty bad, tho? Relatively speaking. I mean we all know ratings will level out around 50-80% when all is said and done, and didn't Fallon's debut bring in like 11m+?

To be fair, Fallon also has the Winter Olympics as a lead-in.

vikki

Late night shows from what I can tell are not very affected by DVR watching much.
Online isn't really tracked.

That's too bad, I rarely catch anything that's on after 10:30 the same day. I'll watch the next morning and since TDS and CR are done, in a sense, the late show is my new go to. I may try some Conan too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom