• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert |OT| Beginning September 8th - 11:30/10:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fine. The only real standout in that list would be Conan's Late Night theme.

Letterman's is definitely the best, that theme won't be topped. Conan's old theme was pretty great as well, especially for NY.

Point being though is that other than Fallon's they all have a pretty strong melody to them, the new theme is pretty repetitive.

Edit: just listened again, and I'm definitely warming up to it pretty quickly, it's actually pretty great. But still not as good as the 2 I just mentioned.

The Beard

I thought it was good. As first shows go, it was great. It's a little to close to the Colbert Report for me, but I think his show is absolutely going to kill for the next year and a half during the whole election run. It'll be interesting to see how the format fairs when there isn't a presidential election to boost interest though.

thefro

The arrangement of Conan's theme evolved and got better as the show went on... same with Kimmel's. I figure the same will happen with Colbert's theme to give it some more punch.

Volimar

Yeah I didn't care much for the theme. But the rest of it was great. Jeb! was full of shit of course, but I enjoyed his segment too.

Decided to watch the premiere again. Loved it the second time as well but one thing I noticed rubbed me the wrong way and it was Stephen doing the announcing during the intro. It sounded really bad and it makes you wonder why he didn't get an announcer in the first place. I think this is one of those things where they'll have to do it pre-recorded or eventually get a person for the gig. Would be pretty cool if they got a female announcer to change things up.

This was alright. The parts in the beginning with CBS and that fraud Jimmy Fallon were super cringey. I love Colbert but I think I remembered why I don't watch network TV.

"So the way you're different from your brother is that you're more conservative" and the hummus gag were great though.

Volimar

Decided to watch the premiere again. Loved it the second time as well but one thing I noticed rubbed me the wrong way and it was Stephen doing the announcing during the intro. It sounded really bad and it makes you wonder why he didn't get an announcer in the first place. I think this is one of those things where they'll have to do it pre-recorded or eventually get a person for the gig. Would be pretty cool if they got a female announcer to change things up.

Aisha Tyler. Hell, just make her his sidekick.

JDSN

Banned
Late night shows are boring and this was no exception, Colbert is wasted on this. Ill see the good bit that get posted on here from time to time.

This was basically better than the current crop of late night shows but not as good as the Colbert Report. About what I expected.

It's like some weird hybrid of the two. The format of a late night talk show with a Colbert flavor.

Theme song is damn good though. Simple but catchy and modern.

Late night shows are boring and this was no exception, Colbert is wasted on this. Ill see the good bit that get posted on here from time to time.

As a huge fan of Colbert I wish I could disagree, but I don't. Honestly Youtube killed my desire to watch any of these late night shows. The few decent bits will get posted there and I can save the tuners/dvr space for other stuff.

I never watched the interviews on the Report and I'm not interested in them here either.

forms

Watching the stream from CBS now. Can't honestly say that I thought the bit with Clooney was all that great. Really impressed with him having Jeb Bush on the show however. Not that I have much love for Jeb Bush, but after what Colbert has done previously it was really nice to see an interview like that.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
As a huge fan of Colbert I wish I could disagree, but I don't. Honestly Youtube killed my desire to watch any of these late night shows. The few decent bits will get posted there and I can save the tuners/dvr space for other stuff.

I never watched the interviews on the Report and I'm not interested in them here either.

You're really missing out on some of the best parts of the show with that. Colbert is a brilliant interviewer.

Watched the episode, and yeah, it's definitely weaker than the typical Colbert Report episode, and certainly more slowly paced, but it was still enjoyable enough. I enjoyed some of the Report-esque moments like the big collage of Republican candidate faces and Colbert addressing Jimmy the intern. I haven't watched any late night shows until now, but I plan on continuing to watch this.

The Beard

Watching the stream from CBS now. Can't honestly say that I thought the bit with Clooney was all to great. Really impressed with him having Jeb Bush on the show. Not that I have much love for Jeb Bush, but after what Colbert has done previously it was really nice to see an interview line that.

It was pretty lame, but I did get a good laugh out of their awkward silence bit.

The Bush interview sucked too, it was his first show though. Talk shows always get better after a few weeks.

SURGEdude

This was basically better than the current crop of late night shows but not as good as the Colbert Report. About what I expected.

It's like some weird hybrid of the two. The format of a late night talk show with a Colbert flavor.

Theme song is damn good though. Simple but catchy and modern.

Agreed. It's a lesser show than the Report, but I think the went as far as this bland timeslot will allow. I walked away with better impressions than I expected and as is often the case with these kind of talk shows it's best to give them a few months before coming to any serious conclusion.

Kind of crazy that Jon Stewart is executive producing 2 competing shows in the same timeslot with The Nightly Show w/ Larry Wilmore and now this.

Hale-XF11

Yup. Between the safer jokes and the heavily scripted interviews, it just makes want The Colbert Report back even more.

spinz

i didnt watch the whole thing, but yeah this is like the safe version of colbert. It felt very letterman... very major network latenight... AKA boring.

big ander

Yea was kinda bored by this first episode, nothing particularly bad about it but it essentially made the mission statement of the show to be inclusive which, fine, but I think there's a way to do that without sticking so rigidly to what late night TV has been for generations. May check in more this week if I'm bored at work, will mostly watch clips that look interesting in the future.

I think there's also something to be said that its disappointing that Stephen sort of went in the opposite direction from John Oliver. HBO is subscription only but allows John to shit on everyone and do whatever he wants. Colbert is now on basic cable but he has to do awkward endorsements for CBS shows now.

Don't know if "boring" is the right word since the Report was never exactly a non-stop rush. It felt kinda neutered to me.

But I mean of course if he's happy where he is good for him, the guy's a joy to be around.

Mistle

It's fine. The only real standout in that list would be Conan's Late Night theme.
Man I loved Conan's theme. Especially towards the end of Late Night/Tonight Show when it get a real kick to it. His new theme is good, but a bit bland in comparison.

Spladam

That guest list is REALLY REALLY fucking interesting.

Enough of these brain dead actors and actresses. I really don't give a flying fuck about their vapid lives.

Elon Musk on there is so god damn badass. I might have to start watching late night shows again.

Cool avatar dude, I get nostalgic just seeing that.

FyreWulff

I imagine it's coming right? Letterman had clips of his shows up on youtube available to everyone.

Dave owned his show. CBS owns the Colbert version.

It's why there wasn't any Dave re-runs leading up to Colbert, CBS didn't have the rights to air re-runs.

TTG

An underwhelming start. I was watching him interview Tyson and deliver the correspondence dinner speech earlier, he's so obviously very sharp and funny and little to none of that carried over to yesterday's show. Not that I expect him to be that great day in and day out, but I was hoping for more considering it's the debut.

Conservative, tired jokes, vacuous interviews. I'm probably being too critical here, but the overindulgent applause got irritating fast as well. I'll keep watching because Stewart left a gaping void and Colbert is just too smart to keep doing shows this boring... I hope. The Mentalist gag was the one bright spot I recall. That Trump segment was rough:

Oh, they're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic." First of all, that is a terrible metaphor. This administration is not sinking. This administration is soaring. If anything, they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg!"

Where's that guy?

Conservative, tired jokes, vacuous interviews. I'm probably being too critical here, but the overindulgent applause got irritating fast as well. I'll keep watching because Stewart left a gaping void and Colbert is just too smart to keep doing shows this boring... I hope. The Mentalist gag was the one bright spot I recall. That Trump segment was rough:
But do you remember oompa loompas?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Overindulgent crowd for a Colbert show seems par for the course. It was always the most annoying part of the Colbert Report for me.

This was basically an average Colbert Report and I think some people forget that the Colbert Report can be pretty average when you're not just watching the best stuff that catches fire.

If it's only downhill from here, I'd be very worried, but usually these things get better over the first year as Colbert and his writers get used to the format.

Aisha Tyler. Hell, just make her his sidekick.

I don't think their sense of humor matches up that well. Only late show host wacky enough to work with her would probably be Craig Ferguson.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
An underwhelming start. I was watching him interview Tyson and deliver the correspondence dinner speech earlier, he's so obviously very sharp and funny and little to none of that carried over to yesterday's show. Not that I expect him to be that great day in and day out, but I was hoping for more considering it's the debut.

Where's that guy?

Agreed with everything you said.

Just caught up with everyone and I thought the first episode was pretty underwhelming. Colbert seemed very obviously nervous to me. The interview with Clooney was so awkward. Clooney just looked bored and lost and disinterested in conversation. None of the monologue jokes landed with me. The audience interrupting with applause and chants became grating as well.

It just seemed all over the place and nobody--Colbert included--could find the rhythm. I'm sure it'll get better, but that's what I said about Jimmy Fallon after his debut and I don't think he's improved significantly since then. I'm hoping Colbert improves, but his job IS really difficult, and though he performed well on The Colbert Show, this type of late night programming is a different beast. He needs to drop the quirky characters and over-the-top acting and just be himself.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Only saw the clips on YouTube so far and it does seem like he is nervous. Standing up and doing the monologue is weird for me

It was basically a couple of Colbert report segments but not as biting. Also it's a little weird seeing him legit interviewing someone instead of having them part of a joke. Clooneys interview was that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom