• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

DiscoJer

Say what you want about Bandai, at least they did bring over all 3 LoH in the (loose) trilogy, even though it was obvious the 2nd one had flopped.

Still, I just don't get what the difficulty is in putting the game on steam. I'd re-buy. At least see how it sells, FFS.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
RGC2 I got over even though I wanted it, but if we don't get at least get SC... that's going to leave me unhappy with XSEED for a long time. :\

UberTag

I did my part.
I bought the game. Played the game. Loved the game. Got someone else to buy and love the game.
I also imported Xenoblade Chronicles because NOA hates me and what I stand for.

Sadly JRPG fans don't go out of their way to seek out & appreciate greatness any more.
If Trails in the Sky can't even perform comparably to the rest of XSEED's portable library, then we don't deserve to see a sequel.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Aeana said:
I can't believe they keep leading fans on like this. It is despicable.
It is best you guys just start trying to accept that you won't get to play SC. It'll be easier that way.
I don't really care what they say about the games on PSP, unless Falcom's games perform poorly on PC in the west (because I'm really confident that they're coming) I think we'll get SC one way or another.

There is little reason to believe that their sales on Steam shouldn't blow PSP sales out of the water, even for Trails in the Sky.

I've bought two copies of the game (one as a gift) and have convinced four others to get the game. And I've been extolling the virtues of the Kiseki series all over the interwebs, so I'm definitely doing my part.

But I'm am getting a little discouraged with how XSEED is handling this now. All this "slowly but surely UNLESS we decide to suddenly drop it" talk is very worrisome.

I've already had one major disappointment from the company (RCG2) and if they put us through this again I'll be extremely frustrated. I'm getting a bit tired of the tests companies (XSEED and many others) are putting us through. The threats of "buy more or get nothing!" and the constant reminders that fans efforts just aren't good enough, despite the fact that the products they are releasing are already quite niche and they should be encouraging their loyal fan base, not giving them ultimatums.

XSEED had become one of my favorite companies is recent times and I've bought a lot of their products and I really want to keep supporting them, so I'm hoping that they can pull through for us. I know Tom posts here, so hopefully he can give us some more insight.

UberTag said:
Sadly JRPG fans don't go out of their way to seek out & appreciate greatness any more.
If Trails in the Sky can't even perform comparably to the rest of XSEED's portable library, then we don't deserve to see a sequel.
But I don't think that's the case at all. I don't think anyone expected a PSP RPG to be some kind of blockbuster in the US, but it's done well on the Amazon sales charts, and has gotten great word of mouth. I'm sure it's done at least comparable to their other games.

iavi

I did my part, and am loving this game. I just started a couple days ago, and I'm already on chapter 3. The dialogue is incredibly natural, it's weird, coming from a jrpg and all.

As for a sales comment, I still cannot, for the life of me, understand why the first chapter isn't up on Steam yet. Price it accordingly and it'd move reccetear numbers, at the least.

Zwei

Gunloc said:
I've bought two copies of the game (one as a gift) and have convinced four others to get the game. And I've been extolling the virtues of the Kiseki series all over the interwebs, so I'm definitely doing my part.

Well done.

Aeana

chaosblade said:
I don't really care what they say about the games on PSP, unless Falcom's games perform poorly on PC in the west (because I'm really confident that they're coming) I think we'll get SC one way or another.

There is little reason to believe that their sales on Steam shouldn't blow PSP sales out of the water, even for Trails in the Sky.
I can't imagine where you're getting that idea from. XSEED has specifically said that Falcom is not really showing any interest in doing the localization programming for the PC versions.

Gunloc said:
I've already had one major disappointment from the company (RCG2) and if they put us through this again I'll be extremely frustrated. I'm getting a bit tired of the tests companies (XSEED and many others) are putting us through. The threats of "buy more or get nothing!" and the constant reminders that fans efforts just aren't good enough, despite the fact that the products they are releasing are already quite niche and they should be encouraging their loyal fan base, not giving them ultimatums.

I don't see it that way at all. They aren't threatening because they want to, they are threatening because they have to. They have already said that some games simply arent worth the money to port. You know who says that? Companies that cant afford to have a gigantic failure. I'm sure their margins are pretty slim when it comes down to the nitty gritty.

It's not that they dont appreciate your patronage, its exactly the opposite. They want you to buy the games and they want you to get their friends on board because they love what they do, but a laissez-faire attitude is not good enough in our modern day connected world. They need to be aggressive. They give ultimatums because they dont have a choice.

iavi

Aeana said:
I can't imagine where you're getting that idea from. XSEED has specifically said that Falcom is not really showing any interest in doing the localization programming for the PC versions.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense than my guess of Xseed trying to acquire as many PSP sales at retail/psn before cannabalizing them with a budget steam release, lol. Regardless, they're sitting on money at this point, unless localization programming is something super crazy extensive.

Onion_Relish said:
I don't see it that way at all. They aren't threatening because they want to, they are threatening because they have to. They have already said that some games simply arent worth the money to port. You know who says that? Companies that cant afford to have a gigantic failure. I'm sure their margins are pretty slim when it comes down to the nitty gritty.

It's not that they dont appreciate your patronage, its exactly the opposite. They want you to buy the games and they want you to get their friends on board because they love what they do, but a laissez-faire attitude is not good enough in our modern day connected world. They need to be aggressive. They give ultimatums because they dont have a choice.
But what more could they ask for from an super niche series on the PSP in the US? This game already had a ton of things working against it's success in North America, but it's gone beyond expectations IMO due to the fact that it's an AMAZING game.

XSEED is a niche company that releases niche games. Thankfully, they do a really great job with their localizations and have built a loyal fan base and lots of buzz recently. But I really don't know what to think about what XSEED expects from their games. Their past comments about the sales of RGC were a bit ridiculous, but I thought we'd moved beyond that. Now I'm not so sure.

And I've seen a lot of support for this game online, with a large majority of people who liked the game suggesting it to others. I think the fans are doing a great job of supporting the series, but it's hard to keep the enthusiasm up with this Sword of Damocles constants hanging over SC.

Some positive reinforcement would do wonders. Even if it's not a huge hit, they should at least have some more faith in the series and know that it can turn into one of their flagship properties if they keep nurturing it. It's rare to have something that focuses so much on delivering a quality narrative experience, and for a company that primarily releases RPGs, they should be overjoyed to have access to the most exciting JRPG IP around (IMO) these days.

One positive thing though is that XSEED is really good about communicating with their fans online. I'm hoping that they'll keep the dialogue going and realize that we all want the series to be successful.

Gunsmithx

Have they ever stated why they don't release the pc versions of these games? The most expensive part(translation) is done, is it some kind of licensing issue? Heck I know I'd double dip and you'd get a whole new crowd

I didn't nakedly shill hard enough...

RGC2 I got over even though I wanted it, but if we don't get at least get SC... that's going to leave me unhappy with XSEED for a long time. :\

This ain't no charity, and less so every day. I would never wish they'd trade financial stability for all three; even trying just the first is great.

Aeana said:
I can't believe they keep leading fans on like this. It is despicable.
It is best you guys just start trying to accept that you won't get to play SC. It'll be easier that way.

Onion_Relish said:
Cant wait till this game goes on sale :(

*deathstare*

Varion

hosannainexcelsis said:
"The first game hasn’t exactly turned out to be a top-seller for us so far (despite overwhelmingly positive feedback from fans), which means we really can’t justify prioritizing the second (especially given its insane length)."
Dammit Tom, you said the sales were fine a few months ago :(

Gunsmithx said:
Have they ever stated why they don't release the pc versions of these games? The most expensive part(translation) is done, is it some kind of licensing issue? Heck I know I'd double dip and you'd get a whole new crowd
A few times, yeah. Think it's been mentioned a few times in this thread actually. Basically Falcom (the company they're licensing the games off, and who do the actual programming part of the localisations) doesn't have any programmers that work with the PC anymore, and the ones they do have are really busy with other titles anyway.

Gunsmithx

Varion said:
A few times, yeah. Think it's been mentioned a few times in this thread actually. Basically Falcom (the company they're licensing the games off, and who do the actual programming part of the localisations) doesn't have any programmers that work with the PC anymore, and the ones they do have are really busy with other titles anyway.

Hmm I knew the falcom was doing the programming themselves but I didn't know they didn't really have anyone left to do some PC stuff(such a shame considering their roots). I wonder if Xseed could it themselves, or if falcom would let them.

Gunsmithx said:
Hmm I knew the falcom was doing the programming themselves but I didn't know they didn't really have anyone left to do some PC stuff(such a shame considering their roots). I wonder if Xseed could it themselves, or if falcom would let them.

XSEED doesn't have any programmers and given what must be razor-thin margins, I doubt they see enough value in hiring one.

Laekon

I bought this game a few weeks ago but only have about 5 hours into it. It hasn't really caught my attention yet. When does the story start?

Laekon said:
I bought this game a few weeks ago but only have about 5 hours into it. It hasn't really caught my attention yet. When does the story start?
The story starts slowly on purpose. The game really benefits from having the world fully realized for the player.

Just keep playing, it's definitely worth it.

iavi

Laekon said:
It really picks up towards the middle of chapter 1, right around the time that certain someone joins your party.

Varion

Gunsmithx said:
It's a shame, but not really surprising considering they moved all their staff entirely to PSP development after Zwei 2 bombed, proving the market just wasn't there. Because Zwei 2 was awesome.

I dunno about Falcom letting them, but I seriously doubt XSEED have the staff. They're a pretty small company as it is, and Falcom do seem a little protective of their games.

B.K.

Laekon said:

I'm with you. I've tried to play the game, but I just can't get into it. I've played it for about 15 hours since launch and it just hasn't grabbed me yet.

iavi

I'm in the beginning of chapter three after having
made it through the tunnel, arrived in the industrial city, and did the blackout scene with the the researcher,
and I have to wonder; do the arts ever really pick up? Besides becoming heavily physical in my attacks, Joshua/Estelle are still using the standard arts set that they pretty much started with. They're a lot stronger, yeah, but I want some fancier ones already.

I'd just like to point out that the guys at XSEED aren't idiots and that they know how much damage would be done to the company image if they don't bring SC over. I wouldn't write SC off just yet, increased sales or not.

Gunsmithx said:

Translation's done, but the coding isn't. The loc coding would need to be done again to the PC versions. That's pretty much the biggest hurdle, from what I've been given to understanding.

And Falcom DOES still have PC coders in-house - they didn't lose anyone after 2009 and Zwei II shipped - it's just they're all busy with other projects.

Miri said:
I'm in the beginning of chapter three after having
made it through the tunnel, arrived in the industrial city, and did the blackout scene with the the researcher,
and I have to wonder; do the arts ever really pick up? Besides becoming heavily physical in my attacks, Joseph/Estelle are still using the standard arts set that they pretty much started with. They're a lot stronger, yeah, but I want some fancier ones already.

If you want fancier arts, you can always adjust your orbment setup to get what you want.

Also, there are some really badass S-Breaks the characters get as they level up. Especially Joshua.

hosannainexcelsis said:
If you want fancier arts, you can always adjust your orbment setup to get what you want.

Also, there are some really badass S-Breaks the characters get as they level up. Especially Joshua.

Check your Bracer Handbook under Orbment (this is good advice in general).

Aeana

SpaceDrake said:
I'd just like to point out that the guys at XSEED aren't idiots and that they know how much damage would be done to the company image if they don't bring SC over. I wouldn't write SC off just yet, increased sales or not.

Translation's done, but the coding isn't. The loc coding would need to be done again to the PC versions. That's pretty much the biggest hurdle, from what I've been given to understanding.

And Falcom DOES still have PC coders in-house - they didn't lose anyone after 2009 and Zwei II shipped - it's just they're all busy with other projects.
Even if they have every intention to release it at this point, they have said that it is on the back burner and isn't getting a full push. The process of translation will already take a very long time, but if it isn't getting full attention, it will take even longer. If it is barely viable for release now, it won't be viable at all in a couple of years.

iavi

hosannainexcelsis said:

Haha, wow, you're completely right, and I have been to a certain extent. Though, my reliance on crafts/physical attacks has caused me to fill the slots with stat buffs in regards to those two, more than techniques, and relying on the
more chapter specific of characters to provide the magic assists
. I am not thinking at all, lol.

I'm finding that it's far more advantageous to balance your CP than it is to waste your time on the arts, as much I do want to see some of those fancy ones already--from Joshua/Estelle, specifically. The enemies have been busting out some pretty nice ones.

Miri said:
Haha, wow, you're completely right, and I have been to a certain extent. Though, my reliance on crafts/physical attacks has caused me to fill the slots with stat buffs in regards to those two, more than techniques, and relying on the
more chapter specific of characters to provide the magic assists
. I am not thinking at all, lol.

I'm finding that it's far more advantageous to balance your CP than it is to waste your time on the arts, as much I do want to see some of those fancy ones already--from Joshua/Estelle, specifically. The enemies have been busting out some pretty nice ones.

It's worth noting that Zeiss is just about when you start getting some quite powerful Quartz available for synthesis, and that'll allow you to push out some higher-level Arts just by default. The bigger problem is that the characters you get for the Zeiss chapter (
Tita, Zane and Agate
) have really rubbish orbments that are hard to chain up. Estelle and Joshua will be your best options for casters during that chapter.
And then in the last chapter you get all your great casters back, so that's when you can really crank out the Arts and when they start to dominate physicals, actually.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can someone gauge how far in I am into this........

I saved
the money from the orphanage. Got to the the lighthouse and beat that. On the way back to Ruan (I believe).

I don't want to know how many hours but how long fractionally (lol) am I into the game? Like 1/2 or 5/8? I have almost 30 hours into this and it's been a slow but fun crawl. If I didn't have to move across several states I would surely have beaten this by now.

krYlon

LiquidMetal14 said:
Can someone gauge how far in I am into this........

I saved
the money from the orphanage. Got to the the lighthouse and beat that. On the way back to Ruan (I believe).

I don't want to know how many hours but how long fractionally (lol) am I into the game? Like 1/2 or 5/8? I have almost 30 hours into this and it's been a slow but fun crawl. If I didn't have to move across several states I would surely have beaten this by now.

I'd say you are about half way through.

LiquidMetal14

Amazing lol

I mean, am I just slowly crawling or something? I've done some grinding but not like hours and hours. That's great to know as I'm really enjoying this. And I have not used a lot of quartz yet. Matter of fact I'm trading a lot of it for money so I can buy weps. I haven't done that since the last major town since I'm trying to save to buy the better stuff but I hope I have a better use for quartz soon.

krYlon

LiquidMetal14 said:
Amazing lol

I mean, am I just slowly crawling or something? I've done some grinding but not like hours and hours. That's great to know as I'm really enjoying this. And I have not used a lot of quartz yet. Matter of fact I'm trading a lot of it for money so I can buy weps. I haven't done that since the last major town since I'm trying to save to buy the better stuff but I hope I have a better use for quartz soon.

It was quicker for me, but I didn't do any grinding at all, and skipped a few sidequests.
I only really started to make proper use of quartz towards the end of the game.

What you need to know is this, it only gets better and better. The fourth chapter is incredible.

LiquidMetal14

krYlon said:
It was quicker for me, but I didn't do any grinding at all, and skipped a few sidequests.
I only really started to make proper use of quartz towards the end of the game.

What you need to know is this, it only gets better and better. The fourth chapter is incredible.
The
play in the academy
totally reminded me of Chrono Trigger in the fact that it was actually a part of the story. I wanna drop everything and play more now.

It definitely has picked up from the
lakeside village (Manoria?)
but I was already enjoying it before that. I just didn't like the back and forth travel from the little towns/villages in the first 10 or so hours. Another user was saying how he gave up on it after 15 hours in the other XSEED thread but it definitely does get better and better.

krYlon

LiquidMetal14 said:
The
play in the academy
totally reminded me of Chrono Trigger in the fact that it was actually a part of the story. I wanna drop everything and play more now.

It definitely has picked up from the
lakeside village (Manoria?)
but I was already enjoying it before that. I just didn't like the back and forth travel from the little towns/villages in the first 10 or so hours. Another user was saying how he gave up on it after 15 hours in the other XSEED thread but it definitely does get better and better.

The plot has this snowball effect, honestly I think more happens in the last chapter than the rest of the game put together.

I really love that kind of pacing. It's great how the writers were not afraid to start off slow and flesh out the world and characters first, so that the plot elements have more weight later on.
Too many games start off with a bang and then fizzle out.

LiquidMetal14

krYlon said:
The plot has this snowball effect, honestly I think more happens in the last chapter than the rest of the game put together.

I really love that kind of pacing. It's great how the writers were not afraid to start off slow and flesh out the world and characters first, so that the plot elements have more weight later on.
Too many games start off with a bang and then fizzle out.
I hear you there and this is exactly what I've been thinking while playing it. Makes the criticisms about the beginning seem petty since it lets these characters and the plot simmer for the goods not very into the game.

krYlon

It still is a very good battle system. I'm not a big fan of traditional JRPG turn based battles, but I liked this one. It's quite strategic.

krYlon said:
It still is a very good battle system. I'm not a big fan of traditional JRPG turn based battles, but I liked this one. It's quite strategic.

NO DEAL. Ys battle system or nothing. They shouldn't have falsely advertised. :mad:

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
NO DEAL. Ys battle system or nothing. They shouldn't have falsely advertised. :mad:

It's Amazon being stupid there, not XSEED. And the whole point is that Trails has a combat system that isn't Ys, so that Falcom doesn't produce games with a single kind of combat system.

Almyn

I got my European copy today. If you're in the UK shopto has this in stock, Even though I had thought the release wasn't supposed to be until the 4/11/11. Such a pity ghostlight can't confirm a date for the psn release at the moment though. I would have much preferred to download this rather than have the UMD. But Persona 3 portable took quite a few months to get a psn release and I didn't want to wait that long. This is the first UMD I have bought in years.

Can't wait to get stuck in later tonight. I've been really excited for this game.

Zafir

Almyn said:
I got my European copy today. If you're in the UK shopto has this in stock, Even though I had thought the release wasn't supposed to be until the 4/11/11. Such a pity ghostlight can't confirm a date for the psn release at the moment though. I would have much preferred to download this rather than have the UMD. But Persona 3 portable took quite a few months to get a psn release and I didn't want to wait that long. This is the first UMD I have bought in years.

Can't wait to get stuck in later tonight. I've been really excited for this game.
Yeah, it's because Ghostlight got their copies early. So they probably sent them on to retailers early too.

I got both Innocent Sin and Trails in the Sky on Saturday directly from Ghostlight.

Top Bottom