• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) |OT| Enter Erebonia

Psxphile

That's a good tip on Alisa, but I still prefer using Rean to stagger the enemy repeatedly while sneaking around to their back for the moneyshot. With good timing they won't be able to move.

Ultimadrago

People keeping their eyes closed when they're first introducing themselves is bothering me a lot more than I thought it would.

Eternia

Sara's VA really is great.

I'm now in the middle of chapter 3's field study and boy, I wasn't that bothered by slow pace of the previous games but the large maps without any kind of speedhack/turbo mode would have driven me insane.

Squire

Banned
Well, Quality > Quantity.

Honestly I want a Persona 6 that cuts the bloat and follows Cold Steel's model, focusing on making a smaller number of days with more depth in them, rather than a billion days you can only do one thing in, or worse, nothing in.

I've been thinking for the past few days how well Cold Steel realizes the idea of a student body as a connected social circle. Persona is a little more cynical about schooling, probably because it's trying to more acutely comment on that single aspect of reality whereas Trails as a franchise looks at a lot of different social/political atmospheres.

In Persona, school is a burden and a means to an end - establishing interpersonal relationships with a few individual students that attend the same school by chance.

I like both, but at this point I definitely prefer CS. They have different goals though I think. Just different takes.

Whoever voices Sara is really nailing it.

Right?! I love her so much. <3

PK Gaming

CpTUZhrVMAIV1yp.jpg

Cpr1pzlWEAAYqJ9.jpg

Sara is kind of the best

PK Gaming

Whoever plays Fie Claussell is Morgana in P5 too.(Cassandra Lee Morris)

I could tell right away cause fuck that cat.

There's a decent amount of overlap between Cold Steel's cast and Persona 5

Joker = G
Ryuji = Lechter
Yusuke = Olivert
Futaba = Misty
Kamoshida = Rufus

There's a a couple more in CS2, but i'll keep mum for obvious reasons.

Squire

Banned
I was hoping they'd voice Lechter this time, but I always heard Quinton Flynn in my head for obvious reasons.

Levito

Banned

Joker = G
Ryuji = Lechter
Yusuke = Olivert
Futaba = Misty
Kamoshida = Rufus

Oh hey PK is here too!

Both games probably had the same casting agency.

rickyson1

anyone else constantly picture (chapter 3 spoilers)
that black cat every time "C"
is shown? it's obviously a completely ridiculous thought that's no doubt very off base but I just can't get it out of my head with them having the same first letter for their name and all and that weird outfit and voice modulator thingy,kinda ruins it a little since I just like start laughing whenever they show up(although I guess they are a bit of a ridiculous character to begin with)

demidar

Wow I didn't realize fast enough the Machias' healing craft also recovered EP. I thought it was CP initially but now I can get looser with spells.

Ascheroth

Im in Chapter 1's field study, and I've learned that getting Double/Triple Advantages with Alisa R
toootally not Reinford, don't mind her
is really simple. All you have to do is (spoiler if you want to figure it out yourself)
provoke the enemy, run just outside of their range that they'll chase you in, then as soon they turn to go back to their starting position, shoot em in the back. The speed and range of her bow makes it idiot proof.

Besides the simplification of the orbment system, I'm enjoying the battle system compared to Sky. The only thing is I kinda wonder if I should start over on Nightmare mode instead of Hard, especially with the aforementioned easy Advantage strikes.

People that played Trails in the Sky SC and/or 3rd on Hard, what mode are you playing Cold Steel on and how hard (or not hard) is it for you?
I like how Alisa's last name is totally obvious from the moment Rean catches a glimpse of it when handing out the student handbooks, if you know your Trails universe.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Crafts in general are really useful.
That's putting it mildly. I all but spam crafts and still end up earning CP over the course of a fight. As long as you get a triple advantage and make sure that crafts hit at least 1 target for each 10 CP consumed, you earn more CP than you spend.

Ascheroth

That's putting it mildly. I all but spam crafts and still end up earning CP over the course of a fight. As long as you get a triple advantage and make sure that crafts hit at least 1 target for each 10 CP consumed, you earn more CP than you spend.
Absolutely. And even you go crazy with CP spending, I usually start each fight with Rean's Motivate, which generates 10CP for everyone, there's Alisa's heal-craft that also generates 40(!) CP for everyone except her and you can easily offset CP consumption even more with the Impassion Art, which generates 20CP per turn(!) for the target.
I honestly rarely use attack Arts at the point where I'm at. Though that will probably change as you get access to better Quartz and Arts.

I mean, casting Impassion on Alisa means you can basically use her 40CP generating Craft every 2 turns for free, if you want to.

I like how Alisa's last name is totally obvious from the moment Rean catches a glimpse of it when handing out the student handbooks, if you know your Trails universe.

I wish I could say I only knew this because of my knowledge from prior games, but actually
someone goes "Oh wow, you live in X town? That's where the Reinford Company is based, right?" literally two lines after she first introduces herself as "Alisa R".
The only real shield that prevents someone who wasn't paying attention to get it is that she claims to be a commoner, and even then other people comment on how her demeanor is unusual for commoners.

Ascheroth

I wish I could say I only knew this because of my knowledge from prior games, but actually
someone goes "Oh wow, you live in X town? That's where the Reinford Company is based, right?" literally two lines after she first introduces herself as "Alisa R".
The only real shield that prevents someone who wasn't paying attention to get it is that she claims to be a commoner, and even then other people comment on how her demeanor is usual for commoners.
Right, I forgot about that :p Yeah, I think that gave it away already.
I feel like the game never even tries to really hide it though. It's kind of endearing.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Absolutely. And even you go crazy with CP spending, I usually start each fight with Rean's Motivate, which generates 10CP for everyone, there's Alisa's heal-craft that also generates 40(!) CP for everyone except her and you can easily offset CP consumption even more with the Impassion Art, which generates 20CP per turn(!) for the target.
I honestly rarely use attack Arts at the point where I'm at. Though that will probably change as you get access to better Quartz and Arts.

I mean, casting Impassion on Alisa means you can basically use her 40CP generating Craft every 2 turns for free, if you want to.
I feel like the game could use a universal EP recovery mechanic of some sort to help out characters with a balanced STR/ATS growth (Rean, Alisa, Jusis, Machias). It's easy to make room for the Ingenuity quartz in Elliot's and Emma's orbments, but there is so much else it competes with if you want to make a hybrid character: Attack, Mind, Action, Cast, ailment quartz to improve the reliability of ailment inflicting Crafts, Art granting quartz to fill the gaps left by the Master Quartz...
The only real shield that prevents someone who wasn't paying attention to get it is that she claims to be a commoner, and even then other people comment on how her demeanor is usual for commoners.
She is a commoner. Bourgeoisie isn't a part of nobility. Being rich doesn't grant you a title.

Ascheroth

I feel like the game could use a universal EP recovery mechanic of some sort to help out characters with a balanced STR/ATS growth (Rean, Alisa, Jusis, Machias). It's easy to make room for the Ingenuity quartz in Elliot's and Emma's orbments, but there is so much else it competes with if you want to make a hybrid character: Attack, Mind, Action, Cast, ailment quartz to improve the reliability of ailment inflicting Crafts, Art granting quartz to fill the gaps left by the Master Quartz...

She is a commoner. Bourgeoisie isn't a part of nobility. Being rich doesn't grant you a title.
Yeah, I'm not at the point yet where I worry about optimal Quartz setups. I'm just cruising along only using the Quartz' I find. I personally prefer using Sepith for opening Slots before I think about spending it on Quartz.

Psxphile

Yeah, I'm not at the point yet where I worry about optimal Quartz setups. I'm just cruising along only using the Quartz' I find. I personally prefer using Sepith for opening Slots before I think about spending it on Quartz.

I did that on my first playthrough. I regretted not getting a Breath quartz right away, since you won't find a group heal Art equivalent for a while.

Ascheroth

I did that on my first playthrough. I regretted not getting a Breath quartz right away, since you won't find a group heal Art equivalent for a while.
I have 1 of those as well as a Rare Quartz that includes Breath. Came in handy a few times. I think the only Quartz I actually bought so far was a Tear or Teara at the beginning of the game.

Squire

Banned
Early early chapter 3:
God I love Sharon so much lol

I found Aries tonight, which I'm pretty sure I didn't get on my Vita run. Put that on Jusis and he still has second highest ATS in the group.

Tonton

Wait, Lechter is in Cold Steel? He's one of my top-three favorite characters from Sky. I gotta finish up 3rd this weekend.
I'm guessing you didn't see a certain Star Door yet if you're surprised, it's one of my favorites from the game too

Sadly he isn't much present at all in Cold Steel :(

I played the Cold Steel games first and couldn't even care about him, but loved him in 3rd

Ultimadrago

Lechter in 3rd made for arguably the best part of that game. I'm curious what his role was in Zero/Ao.

Speaking of, Kenneth, the fishing student, mentions a brother that lives elsewhere and I was curious if that also was a reference to Crossbell.

I'm guessing you didn't see a certain Star Door yet if you're surprised, it's one of my favorites from the game too

Sadly he isn't much present at all in Cold Steel :(

I played the Cold Steel games first and couldn't even care about him, but loved him in 3rd
No, I've seen both the relevant doors. I guess I should have hoped he would be in CS, given the setting.

Lechter plays a bigger role in Zero/Ao than in Cold Steel. He is awesome in whatever game he appears so it doesn't really matter though.

any memories I have of Lechter in 3rd are ruined by the annoyingness that was finding him over and over again

I think that was one of the reasons that made that door the longest in the game for me. It was fun for me though.

Thud

Lechter in 3rd made for arguably the best part of that game. I'm curious what his role was in Zero/Ao.

Speaking of, Kenneth, the fishing student, mentions a brother that lives elsewhere and I was curious if that also was a reference.

His role hasn't really changed, but he does act differently in each game. Which makes you question his motives and goals.

The brother shows up in Ao and Cold Steel II during sidequests.

That's all I can say about that. Also Anton is in Zero for a while, where he confesses to Fran. The poor guy :(

Turbo mode does make the traversal/hidden quests a bit less of a pain. In Cold Steel II you have way more options to fo fast, so that's not really a problem there.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Finished the first day of the Chapter 4 field study.
I was pleasantly surprised by the player getting to control Laura and Fie instead of Rean and Machias. The boys winning wouldn't feel right after the girl bonding scene.

Ultimadrago

His role hasn't really changed, but he does act differently in each game. Which makes you question his motives and goals.

The brother shows up in Ao and Cold Steel II during sidequests.

That's all I can say about that. Also Anton is in Zero for a while, where he confesses to Fran. The poor guy :(

Turbo mode does make the traversal/hidden quests a bit less of a pain. In Cold Steel II you have way more options to fo fast, so that's not really a problem there.

Thanks! I haven't played Ao or CSII yet so I'm looking forward to meeting them eventually.

Haha, my man Anton won't give himself a break.

Hatsuu

XSEED
Wow what the heck this nameless NPC suddenly becomes a scene-stealer. His voice actor just let loose and I can't control my laughter.

Oh my god... I haven't seen it in-game yet. I'm really glad it seems to have come out well. I asked the guy to trill his R's because I wanted the provincial army officers to feel very foppish, but I was worried I was amusing myself too much with a previously-unvoiced character. I laughed so hard I cried during recording, though.

Ascheroth

Oh my god... I haven't seen it in-game yet. I'm really glad it seems to have come out well. I asked the guy to trill his R's because I wanted the provincial army officers to feel very foppish, but I was worried I was amusing myself too much with a previously-unvoiced character. I laughed so hard I cried during recording, though.
Don't worry, it was amazing. Please tell me there's more of him.

Also, Chapter 3 train ride:
SISTER HYPE
I got all giddy when Rean's sister suddenly appeared on the station, in company of both Olivert's sister and Claire. So hype.

Chapter 3 train arrival (kind of TitS related):
VANDER HYPE

Joker = G
Ryuji = Lechter
Yusuke = Olivert
Futaba = Misty
Kamoshida = Rufus

Don't forget the biggest one of them all

Mishima = Rean

The only Persona actor who I can think of with a voice in CS2 is Robbie Daymond(Akechi), are there more?

Top Bottom