• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

This is what happenes when you have a team of genius, passionate devs who arent beholden to a bottom line.

Just imagine how much better gaming would be in general if all devs were like this.

Well, it's like that in any human endeavor. You have some nasty, trashy teams; some mediocre ones; some good ones; and a handful of prestigious ones.

This is brilliant.

Yeah. This is the kinda of shit that induces smiling when playing a game. Didnt realize exactly what was going on until emcee broke it down. Best part is that it isnt scripted.

So manu games today just lose their luster quickly cuz everything is so scripted. Its all just a one off and subsequent playthrough are jist going through the motions.

Chaos17

Probably already posted, but:

2CTSjf0.gif

I like how the player kinda bailed out after seeing that, lol

We're talking about a game, SM64, that changed the entire industry, a game whose core design is still copied to this day.

However, the physics and world interaction on display in Zelda BotW were, as many of us said during E3, next-level stuff. It's not inconceivable it could be the new high watermark for open world game design.

I would certainly hope so. My main problem with open world games is how stale and static the worlds feel. Here, everything looks organic, fluid and seems to have a sense of purpose.

Well, it's like that in any human endeavor. You have some nasty, trashy teams; some mediocre ones; some good ones; and a handful of prestigious ones.

I was really referring to the time crunch here. I mean who wants to work 80 hr work weeks and not at least be good at the job lol?

I guess Im naive and think that a great majority of devs want to make good games.

jblank83

I would certainly hope so. My main problem with open world games is how stale and static the worlds feel. Here, everything looks organic, fluid and seems to have a sense of purpose.

Couldn't agree more.

People have been going on and on about open world games for years. But every time I try to enjoy one, all I can think is how flat, empty, and boring the worlds are. They hold no candle to ancient games like Ultima 7, which had a wealth of interactivity.

Yeah. This is the kinda of shit that induces smiling when playing a game. Didnt realize exactly what was going on until emcee broke it down. Best part is that it isnt scripted.

So manu games today just lose their luster quickly cuz everything is so scripted. Its all just a one off and subsequent playthrough are jist going through the motions.

I agree. It's exciting to know that most of this stuff will likely be explored through experimentation or just pure coincidence.

Veitsev

didnt people say skyward sword was hard

Don't really remember them saying that. Remember a lot of criticism of the game having too much handholding and enemy encounters being overly simplified (1vs1) because of the motion control focus.

Its clear with this title that you can run into new enemies that will just straight up wreck you which isn't something we have seen in a Zelda title for a long time.

Saven

Banned
I gotta feeling this is going to dethrone Final Fantasy VII as my personal favorite game of all time. Kinda fitting that I just replayed through FFVII recently for its 20th Anniversary, like passing the torch.

Couldn't agree more.

People have been going on and on about open world games for years. But every time I try to enjoy one, all I can think is how flat, empty, and boring the worlds are. They hold no candle to ancient games like Ultima 7, which had a wealth of interactivity.

How amusing that a Zelda game which streamlined and simplified Ultima over 30 years ago would one day reach for that level of reactivity.

Speely

Banned
Thread feels good. Previews feel good. Feels good, man.

I got chills reading those posted tweets. What a time to be alive. I am more hype for this game and console launch than I have been about anything game-related since the lead-up to 9.9.99.

Whelp, it looks like Zelda has jumped to the top of my 'which game to start first' list for March. I was hoping to push it back a bit because I was concerned about getting spoiled for plot points in Horizon and Nier, but, man, I can't wait to start playing Zelda for myself. Why can't there be more hours in a day?

Why can't I do this in real life. Goddamnit.

Watched the Gamespot video preview, holy crap this game looks amazing. The armor designs look incredibly sleek as well, haven't seen any so far that I do not like.

Afrodium

Banned

I remember back when the first Assassin's Creed was shown off and it was so cool seeing a chase end with the player leaping off of a perch into a haystack. Then the game came out and you realize that what you saw wasn't some unique emergent experience, but something that would occur a hundred times in a play through.

BotW looks like a true open world sandbox, the type of game that realizes the promise of an open world and isn't just a series of linear story missions that take place on a connected map.

The wait is killing me, just looks so good and even when it comes I'm only gonna have from when my switch turns up until 6pm on 3rd i can play it then I'm going out and not home til the sunday night, dont know whuch wait will drag more

phanphare

Banned
Whelp, it looks like Zelda has jumped to the top of my 'which game to start first' list for March. I was hoping to push it back a bit because I was concerned about getting spoiled for plot points in Horizon and Nier, but, man, I can't wait to start playing Zelda for myself. Why can't there be more hours in a day?

I need less hours per day until Zelda releases

then more

People are going crazy over this?
The enemy has bad AI and goes on to kill himself and the whole camp in a convenient placed exploding barrel that the player abuses to easily clear the camp.

Or it's completely intended level design that allows player expression in a fun way that uses the established rules of the game?

balgajo

The enemy has bad AI and goes on to kill himself and the whole camp in a convenient placed exploding barrel that the player abuses to easily clear the camp.

Those convenient placed barrel bothers me too.

Realeza

Banned

Oh wow yeah, chu-chus should behave smartly and have complex A.I. to avoid bugs like this!

The Big N

Banned

You see, that barrel was placed there for that very reason... You can go straight in and take them all on, or be tactical and use your surroundings. Shame on Nintendo for have their developers give the player options.

phanphare

Banned

you say bad AI

I say good AI

let's call the whole thing off

Caelus

Enemies are also able to throw the barrels at you if they can spot you. Arrows are rarer and more difficult to aim in past games, and enemies are drawn to sound.

Which has been done hundreds of times before.

Ok. Are we not permitted to be excited by cool looking game design? Not everything has to be brand-spanking new, it's just an interesting implementation of the game's mechanics.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Definitely getting a MGSV vibe from these GIFs, but in a good way. Loved the sandbox interactions of that world so I'm stoked to see it applied to one of my favorite franchises.

Which has been done hundreds of times before.

Shooting an explosive barrel has been done before. Shooting a barrel to draw other enemies into via sound (and a fire enemy type which sets off the barrel on its own which rewards understanding of the enemy) into it hasn't really been done that often.

Top Bottom