• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time REALLY the best game of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's no Majora's Mask.
Yeah, it certainly isn't, and thank God for that. MM is my least favorite Zelda game in everything other than atmosphere. Tedious gameplay, only four dungeons, small field, re-used assets... it's the only 3D Zelda I haven't been able to beat.

OoT is one of the best games ever made. The transition from playing as Child Link to Adult Link and seeing how the bad guy won, took over the world, and changed all of these places you came to know was amazing.

Stencil

I understand that it was an innovative game at the time, and I'm damn glad it was made, but even in '98 when I played it as a kid I didn't think it was that amazing. I just remember wondering why it wasn't as endearing as LttP.

Raiden

Banned
When i think greatest of all time i think Ocarina of Time. I was 12 years old and it was my second ever console game. That game forced me to learn English. I got stuck in every possible location and because it took me forever to beat i am very nostalgic about it. I only beat it once and will never replay it. It will always be a memory of my childhood.

i can agree with it being the greatest game ever for a person, i just can't get behind it being the greatest game ever period.

Well I agree with you actually. Declaring something as the greatest ever is a bit silly because it's always going to be based on people's opinions which will differ.

"the worst thing about OOT transitioning to 3D is WAITING, you can't just keep attacking like ALTTP, everything feels slower".
not the exact quote but that was the core gist of it

Don't let him play Dark Souls
In Dark Souls you can break an enemy's guard or circle behind them. In OOT if certain enemies are blocking literally the only thing you can do is wait and attack when they attack you. And sometimes they don't even attack that frequently.

skypunch

Banned
It was an innovative game at the time, but certain aspects of it have long since been surpassed by other games. It was released way back in 1998, you know.

javadoze

When people talk about "best games of all time", it becomes a little annoying when they don't really specify if it's "the best" or just simply "most influential".

So when talking Ocarina of Time, it's a pretty great game, but not quite my most favorite Zelda game. But was it largely influential? You bet.

That said, Egoraptor's analysis of OoT was annoyingly hyperbolic and didn't really even take into the account the technical limitations of the time.

That's not how you spell BioShock. Strange... :p

I think Link to the Past, Wind Waker, and Majora's Mask are all muchbetter than Ocarina. Still a good game. I'm trying to replay it now on VC, and it doesn't hold up too well.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
GEORGE: What, you don't like the name?
SUSAN: It's not a name. It's a number.
GEORGE: I know. It's Mickey Mantle's number. So not only is it an all around beautiful name, it is also a living tribute.
SUSAN: It's awful. I hate it!
GEORGE: (angry) Well, that's the name!
SUSAN: (also angry) Oh no it is not! No child of mine is ever going to be named Seven!
GEORGE: (yelling) Awright, let's just stay calm here! Don't get all crazy on me!

edit: sorry, wrong window/thread

Euron

I would just like to point out that I'm commenting on Page 7, the same number of games that released in 1998 alone that were better than Ocarina of Time

Edit: For the record this was posted before the OP Edit

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Ok on symbolic page 7 I have to inform you guys that you're part of an experiment.

Check out this thread explaining it all.

Thanks everyone

Now for phase 2: how many people comment before catching up on the thread.
Edit: or, after that OP edit, the first line.

Lynx_7

In Dark Souls you can break an enemy's guard or circle behind them. In OOT if certain enemies are blocking literally the only thing you can do is wait and attack when they attack you. And sometimes they don't even attack that frequently.

Egoraptor has also played and beaten Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 on Game Grumps and he's been overwhelmingly positive about the franchise. I agree with a lot of his complaints about 3D Zeldas in general, though its faults don't seem to impact negatively on my experience with said games nealy as much as it does to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom